The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is my F problem!?! Job switch - hurt or help Fastlane?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Jav100

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jun 20, 2016
I am struggling to be a successful entrepreneur for some time now.

I have a decent job in software sales making mid six figures, bought a multi family house (live in one apartment rent the other) engaged, have a small child - in most respects many would say I am successful.

My job of over seven years in sales is laid back giving me some flexibility in life.

I’ve been wanting to be an entrepreneur for a while now. With my strong marketing and sales background I’ve created a few websites during my late 20s and early 30s mostly in affiliate marketing but nothing has taken off. To be transparent I largely blame my lack of discipline to stick with it (results take forever in affiliate marketing) and my charades in my 20s and 30s with the ladies.

Fast forward today I turned 40 a few months ago and I am now in a job where I making enough to get by but not big dollars. I have recruiters reaching out to me for jobs where I could double my base salary and make more money on commissions. It’s so tempting but I yearn to have my own business although $250K-300K in a w2 sounds sweet but after taxes and dealing with all the corporate BS i know it’s just a carrot stick.

But I wonder if taking a job that pays double is worth giving up a few hours a day of flexibility and whether it will further leases my chances of my own business.

I hear stories of other people launching businesses even gimicky ones IMO such as TikTok channels making 20-40K a month as I can’t understand why that’s not me!?! I’ve read plenty of books but don’t seem to execute (a key point MJ makes) and I lack the discipline to focus I guess. I think affiliate marketing is not as easy as it used to be either, maybe if I had a business where I saw results faster I’d be more motivated. But affiliate marketing allows me to balance having a job and everything else.

Plus as MJ also points out it gets harder as you get older it is so true. Having a kid definitely eats time as well although I have no regrets.

You may be wondering what did I want from writing this post - and I am not sure myself.

Maybe a kick in the a$$? Advice on whether I should stick with my job and stick it out and keep trying? Or just take the higher paying job and use the extra money to invest? What would you do? I have had the opportunity to switch jobs in the past to make more but passed on them to work on my own biz but it never seems to pan out.

Regarding discipline - I normally get fired up each new year with my websites, am really engaged for a few months then slowly I either procrastinate or just stop working on my projects completely!?!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Mar 15, 2018
There's no easy answer to the question of whether it's better to start a business or take a job with a bigger salary. It depends on who you are as a person, and what you want out of life.

If you're the type of person who likes taking risks and enjoys the challenge of building something from scratch, then starting a business might be the right choice for you. On the other hand, if you prefer stability and security, and you're not comfortable with uncertainty, then taking a job with a good salary is probably a better option.

There's no wrong answer here - it's all about what's best for you as an individual. Ultimately, the decision of whether to start a business or take a job is a personal one that only you can make.

Trust your gut.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.