The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Of pendants and progress!

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Liveinthemind

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jan 20, 2017
Oregon
Hey everyone!
If you didn't see my introduction thread, the idea is basically to make pendants (for now I'm using dog-tags), each one having a unique code, sell them to people, have them enter their adventures with the tag onto a forum (eventually I'll have a proper forum, for now I'm just using a Facebook page), then pass the tag on.

I've bought the first dog-tag to check quality (very pleased, see image below), I'm getting the Facebook page together (logo also below).

Here's what I've got for the Page so far:
My Pack to Yours | Facebook

Oh, and of course there's the website itself. MyPackToYours.com

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Super glad you took some action on this. Thought you disappeared.

Might. E helpful to work through sinister let's copywriting course.

Again, I really like this idea. Subbed.

Liveinthemind

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jan 20, 2017
Oregon
Super glad you took some action on this. Thought you disappeared.

Might. E helpful to work through sinister let's copywriting course.

Again, I really like this idea. Subbed.
Still very much here. Pesky real life just keeps getting in the way. I'll look into it, promoting is probably the weirdest part of this whole endeavour.
Cheers!

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
If you ship to U.K. I'll buy one. My sister goes travelling this summer. Would be a cool gift (if the page is running by then).

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Still very much here. Pesky real life just keeps getting in the way. I'll look into it, promoting is probably the weirdest part of this whole endeavour.
Cheers!

Learn to sell it, and I think this will do well!

I'm excited by the idea, and would probably fit your exact customer profile. I love adventure, geocaching, travel, etc, and I would sign up for this in a heartbeat if it was further along.

Tie this into a forum and the possibilities are unlimited. Look at the forum here and all the tags we can earn, and the reps we can get, etc. It sort of gives an RPG type feel, which can be addicting.

Keep going!

Liveinthemind

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jan 20, 2017
Oregon
Tag looks great!

Another one glad to see this idea moving.
Thanks very much! Unfortunately Ms Supplier has to be away from her desk for about a week, so I can't do much promotion as that's the only tag I thought to buy. Lesson learned!
I have no idea what's going to happen, stepping beyond an idea is an adventure all in itself.

Liveinthemind

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jan 20, 2017
Oregon
If you ship to U.K. I'll buy one. My sister goes travelling this summer. Would be a cool gift (if the page is running by then).
I hope it will be (thanks in advance), and yes I'm planning to ship worldwide. I'm hoping to visit this summer (I grew up between the U.K. and the States)

Liveinthemind

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jan 20, 2017
Oregon
Learn to sell it, and I think this will do well!

I'm excited by the idea, and would probably fit your exact customer profile. I love adventure, geocaching, travel, etc, and I would sign up for this in a heartbeat if it was further along.

Tie this into a forum and the possibilities are unlimited. Look at the forum here and all the tags we can earn, and the reps we can get, etc. It sort of gives an RPG type feel, which can be addicting.

Keep going!
I'm a bit frozen at the moment, actually. I have a tag designed, and while the supplier won't be working for a few days, I suppose I could use that time to promote or something but I'm not sure what to do. I confess I hadn't really thought very much outside of 'get tags, find customers, sell tags to customers.' Using the time to learn copywriting would certainly be productive but right now concrete plans for action seem sort of...well, not-concrete.

Thanks for the support!

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
I'm a bit frozen at the moment, actually. I have a tag designed, and while the supplier won't be working for a few days, I suppose I could use that time to promote or something but I'm not sure what to do. I confess I hadn't really thought very much outside of 'get tags, find customers, sell tags to customers.' Using the time to learn copywriting would certainly be productive but right now concrete plans for action seem sort of...well, not-concrete.

Thanks for the support!

Wouldn't worry about it. At the stage you're in right now, things are going to change every day. The product you take to market in scale might look very different from what you have now.

Most important thing is just to make sure you're doing at least one thing every day that keeps some sort of momentum going. If you change course, the work you've done already isn't sunk, it's part of the learning that keeps you moving forward.

Liveinthemind

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jan 20, 2017
Oregon
I'm trying to wrestle my website into submission (not going so well), but since my supplier is still on hiatus, I'm having a difficult time thinking of what else I can do to keep the momentum.

Update: I've come up with a website that I think may do for the beginning. I'm not sure if $14.99 is a good enough price, since it costs $9.99 to make, not including shipping costs.

Last edited:

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Great that you took ACTION. You have already separated yourself from the multitude of action fakers in this world.

No matter how this turns out, what you will have learned will help in the future in any other endeavor. you pursue

Keep it up!

Rep++

Liveinthemind

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jan 20, 2017
Oregon
I'm compiling a list of travel blogs/Instagram who may be willing to take a tag. I think the Page/website are okay for a beginning, but is it ready to promote?

Liveinthemind

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jan 20, 2017
Oregon
I'm compiling a list of travel blogs/Instagram who may be willing to take a tag. I think the Page/website are okay for a beginning, but is it ready to promote?
Here is what I've come up with the email so far. I'm going to email adventure bloggers and the like and see if any would be interested.

"
Subject line: Adventurer to arms!
It's clear from your adventures that you and I have a very similar philosophy, that the joy of discovery is an absolute essential for a fulfilling life. It's a real pity that so many get so bogged down in the daily grind that that gets forgotten. I'm hoping to help make a difference with My Pack To Yours.

The idea is that we make a dog-tag, each one having a unique code, that you get and bring on an adventure, then you write about it on the forum, then pass it on and watch it travel across the world.

Would you be interested in getting a tag?
"

Last edited:

Liveinthemind

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jan 20, 2017
Oregon

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Are you suggesting I send them a tag?

I can't speak for Midwest, but no, I don't think that's what he was suggesting. The more businesses you can study using a similar model, the better you can make yours. Cherry pick what they do well, scrap what they don't, improve on poor execution

Liveinthemind

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jan 20, 2017
Oregon
I can't speak for Midwest, but no, I don't think that's what he was suggesting. The more businesses you can study using a similar model, the better you can make yours. Cherry pick what they do well, scrap what they don't, improve on poor execution

Yeah, I didn't think that's what he meant. It just seemed like sort of a non sequitur but now I see what he was suggesting.

Liveinthemind

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jan 20, 2017
Oregon
Well, I've emailed a few blogs, no bites yet. While I'm trying to get that off the ground, I think I should go through some logistics.

It costs $9.99 to make each tag and then $4 to ship them to me. It seems a bit much to ask customers to pay more than perhaps $14.99 for a simple dog-tag. How should I price?

dave773

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Dec 29, 2016
australia
OP, awesome idea I love it and I think it has a lot of potential. I remember reading your original thread.

If this was my idea, here is what I would do. You can take it or ignore it but I hope it helps.

First things first, be ready to implement the map and updates of locations of the tags. Next, I would buy 10-30 tags and book a few nights in a couple hostels. Get to know people, and then push your tags into the conversation. I would give out all of the tags for free but with certain conditions. You could use something similar to the rules of Fight Club to go for the cult-like following. Include some rule like, if you pass on the tag, you have to take a picture with the person and tag your location.

This way you can get a lot of awesome pictures and repost them to your instagram account. With 10-30 tags given out, you can begin getting some social media presence with the activity and get some orders in. You could then do special posts on tags that have traveled the most and create a perceived greater value for them.

Last edited:

Liveinthemind

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jan 20, 2017
Oregon
OP, awesome idea I love it and I think it has a lot of potential. I remember reading your original thread.

If this was my idea, here is what I would do. You can take it or ignore it but I hope it helps.

First things first, be ready to implement the map and updates of locations of the tags. Next, I would buy 10-30 tags and book a few nights in a couple hostels. Get to know people, and then push your tags into the conversation. I would give out all of the tags for free but with certain conditions. You could use something similar to the rules of Fight Club to go for the cult-like following. Include some rule like, if you pass on the tag, you have to take a picture with the person and tag your location.

This way you can get a lot of awesome pictures and repost them to your instagram account. With 10-30 tags given out, you can begin getting some social media presence with the activity and get some orders in. You could then do special posts on tags that have traveled the most and create a perceived greater value for them.
Thanks very much, that's a great idea for when I'm more equipped.

grindmode

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 21, 2017
Kansas City
Thanks very much, that's a great idea for when I'm more equipped.
Somewhat related to a small puzzle piece of my business in action... Here's a link to a US supplier that is reputable, less expensive (once of the program your facing), and they have tons of options including your dog tag look along with custom orders...

;) Actually I'll send it to you in a message right now. Keep the fire alive my friend!

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Wasn't this a Shark Tank idea that some kid started?

You might want to check out how that company did and see if there's anything you can learn.

grindmode

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 21, 2017
Kansas City
Wasn't this a Shark Tank idea that some kid started?

You might want to check out how that company did and see if there's anything you can learn.
It's a surprisingly large hobby or thing people participate in across multi platforms and apps out there.

Liveinthemind

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jan 20, 2017
Oregon
Hi everyone,

Yeah, life keeps getting more and more in the way. Money troubles, family troubles, phone AND computer broke, you name it. But that's not what this is about. What it's about is that I've basically made zero progress.

I've thinking of hiring a Fiverr to design a 3D print model, since it would be cheaper than 10$ a tag. Anybody have any experiences with 3D printing?

Liveinthemind

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jan 20, 2017
Oregon
So, I've hired someone (thanks DesignerOne) to design a new tag that's 3D-printable, as well as help with advertising. Once I've got the designs, hopefully the biggest expenses in the pre profit stage will be behind me.

Also, I've started at Postmates to bring in some extra funds. I can't do most deliveries since I don't have a car, but still, a few extra dollars from riding my bicycle doesn't hurt.

Last edited:

Liveinthemind

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jan 20, 2017
Oregon
So, I've hired someone (thanks DesignerOne) to design a new tag that's 3D-printable, as well as help with advertising. Once I've got the designs, hopefully the biggest expenses in the pre profit stage will be behind me.

Also, I've started at Postmates to bring in some extra funds. I can't do most deliveries since I don't have a car, but still, a few extra dollars from riding my bicycle doesn't hurt.
Depression flared up badly this past while, no real progress to speak of. I have found a supplier for the keychains and they could be in my hand in the next ten days (but I'm going to wait until I have the sized design to put in them).

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Depression flared up badly this past while, no real progress to speak of. I have found a supplier for the keychains and they could be in my hand in the next ten days (but I'm going to wait until I have the sized design to put in them).

No need to update this again until you have a real update.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.