The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Not sure I belong here...

Kiki_

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Mar 5, 2024
Australia
... but hi anyway. I've known about this forum for years but finally decided to join and participate.

I'm from Australia and have been running my textiles business solo for over 5 years. I'm also in a small town so it's quite isolating as I have no business partner to bounce questions off or really anyone in a similar position who I can brainstorm or exchange thoughts, ideas and feedback with.

The result is that I've made a bunch of bad decisions (some good ones too though!), and the whole process has taken a lot longer than it should - or at least, longer than some of my competitors who started around the same time. Yes, I know - run your own race, but it's difficult not to compare. So this year I'll finally reach 7 figures in revenue and it feels like if I just stepped out of my own way, I'd have been there a lot sooner.

I have a good product, in that it is in demand - but I've changed the variation of the product a number of times, and every time this happens, it sets you back before you can move forward again. All the advice out there suggests to find the one thing and just run with it, chopping and changing just delays your progress. I found that's true but not all the time - when I started, knowing nothing, the product was generic and would sell basically only with great marketing. Based on customer feedback over time, I changed the product somewhat and now it's much easier to sell even with very little marketing. Something like 75% of my traffic is organic. But I made many mistakes such as having too many variations of it, with some taking a very long time to sell. I also introduced another range, because back then I thought I had to be everything to everyone. It wasn't as popular as it wasn't unique (so would need to "be sold" rather than have inherent demand) and it tied up a lot of my money on stagnant inventory. If only I'd have put the money towards the best seller instead... Another lesson learned.

I source from India and I've been lucky in that I chose a reputable manufacturer - but it is still India, so there's no such thing as a trouble free run. So while my first order with them was perfect, I've since had issues with consistency of product, variations in quality etc. I've only recently outsourced the managing of the purchasing process to a sourcing agent, but even with them keeping a much closer eye on things, there are still issues. The nature of my product is such that consistency is very important. It's not that the manufacturer can't do it, but that I'm a small and unimportant fish in a big pond, so I just don't get the kind of attention that a big fish would.

Which brings me to the part where I feel like I may not belong here, I hope that's not the case. You see, over years of absorbing advice on what I "should" be doing to run a successful business, I figured that I actually don't want to do (almost) any of the things I'm supposed to be doing.

For example, I don't want staff. I want to run a one-woman show, with outsourcing as needed but no staff. So I have bookkeepers, accountants, sourcing agent and soon, a 3PL. Perhaps one day a VA / marketing / email people as I lack follow through to perform the routine must-do's with any kind of regularity.

I hate social media, so I don't do any of it. My business has only grown since. I don't do reels, influencers, PR, those fake ads which masquerade as editorials... I run an ad or two but I tend to just put one out there and don't obsess over ROAS etc, I just let it run. You could say I employ the Pareto principle when it comes to business. You won't find me compulsively tweaking my Add to Cart button colours to see if it improves my conversion rate.

And now I'm contemplating changing manufacturers (again) to Europe instead. Another mistake? Maybe. The more I see of India, the less I like it. But Australia has a FTA with India so strictly speaking, it makes more sense to source from there. And the product is good - but not as good as I would like. Sometimes I wish I could be one of those people who has no qualms selling crappy Chinese gadgets to the masses, but I'm not. I care about the quality of my product and even small variations from the original are not acceptable to me. Perhaps I'm being unrealistic, but it means I'm forever searching for a better version. I already have a manufacturer in Europe who can make a close to perfect version albeit a lot more expensive - but as many of my customers are in the US, it might make sense to have a European manufacturer. The US market can handle the pricing plus it's much closer to ship.

So as you can see, I probably don't do or don't want to do things the "conventional" way, which is why I feel like I'm getting in my own way a lot. But I have no plans to take over the world with this business, I just need it to give me freedom as I define it. I'm not there yet, but I'm on my way.

Anyway, I've already waffled on too much so if you've read this far, thank you. Is there a place where we can have a thread documenting our progress? Would love to start one.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
BTW you sound like female version of @MTF who has been know to say the same things.

I too, loathe social media and only exist there for business reasons.

Is there a place where we can have a thread documenting our progress? Would love to start one.

You just created it! Welcome aboard!

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Which brings me to the part where I feel like I may not belong here, I hope that's not the case. You see, over years of absorbing advice on what I "should" be doing to run a successful business, I figured that I actually don't want to do (almost) any of the things I'm supposed to be doing.
You belong here more than 95% of the other action-faking members here. Please stick around.

This post reads like someone who’s actually been in the trenches of building a business and dealing with the hard realities and tough choices that come with that.

For example, I don't want staff. I want to run a one-woman show, with outsourcing as needed but no staff. So I have bookkeepers, accountants, sourcing agent and soon, a 3PL. Perhaps one day a VA / marketing / email people as I lack follow through to perform the routine must-do's with any kind of regularity.

There’s a level of lifestyle and comfortable personal income you can reach with 0-1 staff. As the business grows I think it’s a lot more work for the same income… until you’ve reached a certain scale where things can take off.

At times I miss my 0 employee business vs. the larger one I run now.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
It doesn’t matter if it’s unconventional, just that it works. Congratulations on all you’ve accomplished so far!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

I hate social media, so I don't do any of it. My business has only grown since. I don't do reels, influencers, PR, those fake ads which masquerade as editorials... I run an ad or two but I tend to just put one out there and don't obsess over ROAS etc, I just let it run. You could say I employ the Pareto principle when it comes to business. You won't find me compulsively tweaking my Add to Cart button colours to see if it improves my conversion rate.

Based on this, you'll enjoy these threads:

Kiki_

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Mar 5, 2024
Australia
You belong here more than 95% of the other action-faking members here. Please stick around.
Thank you, that's very kind of you to say. I wasn't sure if this was a 'bro' kind of place with success measured in Lamborghinis. Glad to see there's room for the likes of me!

There’s a level of lifestyle and comfortable personal income you can reach with 0-1 staff. As the business grows I think it’s a lot more work for the same income… until you’ve reached a certain scale where things can take off.
I'm old enough to know myself sufficiently well to not go down that path. Managing people for me is right up there with sticking a fork in my eye, so I probably wouldn't last long enough to see it "taking off". It took a while to realise that, but now that I know, it's easier to not get distracted by all the possibilities and what-if's.

Kiki_

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Mar 5, 2024
Australia
It doesn’t matter if it’s unconventional, just that it works. Congratulations on all you’ve accomplished so far!
Cheers for that! It's hard to know if you're doing the right thing when you abandon the conventional "formula" for growing a business. The failure statistics are there to scare you even if you do all the "correct" things, it gets a little scarier when you decide you don't even want to do half of them.

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 8, 2023
I’ve never had social media personally but since getting it for my business it’s reminded me how much I dislike it… :(

Make so little sales I couldn’t outsource it. Welcome to the forum, you’re definitely in the right place. If you haven’t read the books,
unscripted is amazing

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
... but hi anyway. I've known about this forum for years but finally decided to join and participate.

I'm from Australia and have been running my textiles business solo for over 5 years. I'm also in a small town so it's quite isolating as I have no business partner to bounce questions off or really anyone in a similar position who I can brainstorm or exchange thoughts, ideas and feedback with.

The result is that I've made a bunch of bad decisions (some good ones too though!), and the whole process has taken a lot longer than it should - or at least, longer than some of my competitors who started around the same time. Yes, I know - run your own race, but it's difficult not to compare. So this year I'll finally reach 7 figures in revenue and it feels like if I just stepped out of my own way, I'd have been there a lot sooner.

I have a good product, in that it is in demand - but I've changed the variation of the product a number of times, and every time this happens, it sets you back before you can move forward again. All the advice out there suggests to find the one thing and just run with it, chopping and changing just delays your progress. I found that's true but not all the time - when I started, knowing nothing, the product was generic and would sell basically only with great marketing. Based on customer feedback over time, I changed the product somewhat and now it's much easier to sell even with very little marketing. Something like 75% of my traffic is organic. But I made many mistakes such as having too many variations of it, with some taking a very long time to sell. I also introduced another range, because back then I thought I had to be everything to everyone. It wasn't as popular as it wasn't unique (so would need to "be sold" rather than have inherent demand) and it tied up a lot of my money on stagnant inventory. If only I'd have put the money towards the best seller instead... Another lesson learned.

I source from India and I've been lucky in that I chose a reputable manufacturer - but it is still India, so there's no such thing as a trouble free run. So while my first order with them was perfect, I've since had issues with consistency of product, variations in quality etc. I've only recently outsourced the managing of the purchasing process to a sourcing agent, but even with them keeping a much closer eye on things, there are still issues. The nature of my product is such that consistency is very important. It's not that the manufacturer can't do it, but that I'm a small and unimportant fish in a big pond, so I just don't get the kind of attention that a big fish would.

And now I'm contemplating changing manufacturers (again) to Europe instead. Another mistake? Maybe. The more I see of India, the less I like it. But Australia has a FTA with India so strictly speaking, it makes more sense to source from there. And the product is good - but not as good as I would like. Sometimes I wish I could be one of those people who has no qualms selling crappy Chinese gadgets to the masses, but I'm not. I care about the quality of my product and even small variations from the original are not acceptable to me. Perhaps I'm being unrealistic, but it means I'm forever searching for a better version. I already have a manufacturer in Europe who can make a close to perfect version albeit a lot more expensive - but as many of my customers are in the US, it might make sense to have a European manufacturer. The US market can handle the pricing plus it's much closer to ship.

So as you can see, I probably don't do or don't want to do things the "conventional" way, which is why I feel like I'm getting in my own way a lot. But I have no plans to take over the world with this business, I just need it to give me freedom as I define it. I'm not there yet, but I'm on my way.

Anyway, I've already waffled on too much so if you've read this far, thank you. Is there a place where we can have a thread documenting our progress? Would love to start one.

Definitely belong here. Thank you for taking the time to share this. I look forward to reading more of your journey.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Could you manufacture in Australia and increase your prices. Operate as more of a luxury brand/product?

Kiki_

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Mar 5, 2024
Australia
Could you manufacture in Australia and increase your prices. Operate as more of a luxury brand/product?
My product is already premium, but that aside, there are no suitable manufacturing facilities for it in Australia anyway. I explored that option, but unfortunately it doesn't exist.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Thank you, that's very kind of you to say. I wasn't sure if this was a 'bro' kind of place with success measured in Lamborghinis. Glad to see there's room for the likes of me!
It skews a little bit this way, but there are plenty of us that value time freedom and define success in other ways.

I'm old enough to know myself sufficiently well to not go down that path. Managing people for me is right up there with sticking a fork in my eye, so I probably wouldn't last long enough to see it "taking off". It took a while to realise that, but now that I know, it's easier to not get distracted by all the possibilities and what-if's.

If I could go back, I may not have gone down the road of adding employees.

I'm too far down that path now to revert back, as it's easier now to push through and end is in sight, but it's been real tough.

Good on you for knowing yourself and your strengths.

Last edited:

Kiki_

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Mar 5, 2024
Australia
If I could go back, I may not have gone down the road of adding employees.
That's what I'm afraid of. Once it crosses a certain threshold it's hard to go back. And I don't want to be responsible for people's mortgages, and all the stress that comes with managing people. I've just started reading a book called Company of One and I feel like it encapsulates my philosophy when it comes to business, that bigger is not necessarily better and growth for the sake of growth is not a worthwhile goal - for me at least.

At some point, I feel like the acquisition of more money comes with diminishing returns because beyond a certain level of financial comfort, to achieve more growth and more money, you also need more of all the things which bring you stress. People, infrastructure, complexity, problems. Those are not for me. And I'm (finally) ok with that.

I hope you get through the tough bits to where it will all be worth it.

DonyaSze

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jan 17, 2024
Welcome fellow lady! You’re kicking butt!!! I think it’s awesome that you can sell your product without much marketing. It’s like in MJ’s book Unscripted , where you got a ‘productocracy’ a product that sells itself.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...