The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New to the site

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I have a 9-5 job that I really enjoy, and the pay is decent, I don't plan on leaving, but I am looking for extra ways to start getting ahead in life, do more than just make wages, hoping this may give some ideas

but I am looking for extra ways to start getting ahead in life,

Start by realizing that in the working world you are toilette paper - you can be disposed of any second. It doesn't matter how high up you are in the company.
Example - one of my co-workers was just fired after 13 years because all 3 managers screwed up. All she did was follow their instructions.

Now you have the opportunity to transform yourself from a piece of used up toilette paper to gold - something that everybody wants.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I have a 9-5 job that I really enjoy, and the pay is decent
Welcome J.W.

Care to share more about this job?
Maybe you can figure out a way to convert the 9-to-5 relationship into something more amenable to developing your own thing, buying some time and income in the meantime, becoming a 1099 or something similar if possible in your field? Anyway I would make sure to cultivate as many connections as you can in your field, ahead of time before you make your "great escape". There's so many people who try to establish connections on LinkedIn or wherever, only after they quit/lose their job. It's a lot easier to do, less distasteful for all parties, when you're not needing that (yet).
This is golden advice. Many of us here have followed this advice. You do have to start somewhere.

I'm just glad my doctor genuinely enjoys his 9-5.
Another golden comment.

J.W.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jan 11, 2013
Have a degree in mechanical engineering and trade tickets for gas and refrigeration. I guess my job title is a mechanical engineering technologist, kind of end up covering a wide range of jobs, anywhere from HVAC-R design and consulting style of work, to general training/teaching, and sometimes HVAC-R service and start-up for select oddball jobs. It gave me a wide array of skill sets that I know will transfer to other business ventures, just have to find the right one

Currently also renting properties, but not sure I want to keep sinking all my eggs in that basket. That's kind of what I'm hoping to get from this site, find the best "next move"

Thanks for the interest and replies

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
to general training/teaching,

How could you make this fastlane?

Could you record your training on DVDs and sell it online?

This would remove your time constrain and will probably give you some extra income AND establish you as a real expert in the field, which will bring you more clients.

D

DeletedUser4

Welcome, J.W.! Don't let any strange welcomes misguide you, this is a great forum and just by looking through old threads you can get a lot of amazing info on various entrepreneurial topics. Read MJ's book ASAP!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Woah, I just had to check in to see what all the hoopla was about!

I will reiterate that we are glad to have you!!

As will I despite the slight thread derails ... Welcome to the board. Nothing wrong with a 9-5 that you truly enjoy, especially if you can learn some entrepreneurial insights from the job.

Thanks for the interest and replies

Speed for sticking through it.

Read MJ's book ASAP!

LOL, yea I agree! :)

J.W.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jan 11, 2013
How could you make this fastlane?

Could you record your training on DVDs and sell it online?

This would remove your time constrain and will probably give you some extra income AND establish you as a real expert in the field, which will bring you more clients.

Testing the waters with a YouTube Chanel has crossed my mind more than once, I just want to find a way of doing it without catering solely to the DIY crowd, they don't spend money lol

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Testing the waters with a YouTube Chanel has crossed my mind more than once, I just want to find a way of doing it without catering solely to the DIY crowd, they don't spend money lol
I was actually thinking of training videos for companies to train their staff... Some companies are OK with providing training to new employees and if you automate this, and provide a way to have the new employees or candidates to take a test to self-certify themselves as someone that knows the theory of what you teach, then the companies will get value out of your service.

Is any of the training you provide part of what technicians need to get their certification?

Have you looked on youtube for videos related to what you do?

Any of those videos has thousands or millions of views? What topics do they cover? Check the videos' comments to see what people are asking for.

It sounds to me like a small effort with a big potential upside.

fsna.hartley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jan 15, 2013

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.