The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New to the site

J.W.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jan 11, 2013
Hey everybody

Forum looks interesting, hoping to glean some new ideas from some already successful people

I have a 9-5 job that I really enjoy, and the pay is decent, I don't plan on leaving, but I am looking for extra ways to start getting ahead in life, do more than just make wages, hoping this may give some ideas

Looking forward to browsing through the forum pages!

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012

Ikke

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 20, 2012
Netherlands
Hey whatever works for you. Don't look down on people who enjoy what they are doing. Even if it's something you might not enjoy doing.

The fastlane isn't for everyone.
What if money was no object? - YouTube

@ J.W.: read the book, it's worth your time :)

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Hey whatever works for you. Don't look down on people who enjoy what they are doing. Even if it's something you might not enjoy doing.

The fastlane isn't for everyone.
What if money was no object? - YouTube

@ J.W.: read the book, it's worth your time :)

Who said I was looking down on anyone? This is the fastlane forum isn't it? I was just joking because 99% of the members here try to avoid a j.o.b.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Who said I was looking down on anyone? This is the fastlane forum isn't it? I was just joking because 99% of the members here try to avoid a j.o.b.

Seems like people on here are getting a bit sensitive (weak) in the last weeks and can't stomach "positive provocation" (for lack of a better word).

J.W.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jan 11, 2013
Seems like people on here are getting a bit sensitive (weak) in the last weeks and can't stomach "positive provocation" (for lack of a better word).

I have several technicians that I currently manage, in my experience I get far better results when I encourage them to increase there skill set, rather than make fun of their lack of knowledge. I have seen other supervisors take the "positive provocation" approach, they generally end up getting referred to as D-bags by their employees, and usually get little to no respect either.

I can find a rich guy to look down his nose at me anywhere, in fact, I run into them on a daily basis. I came here looking for advice on getting myself to the point where I don't NEED the 9-5 any more, and only do it because I enjoy it, if I keep it at all.

Browsing through forums last night, there appears to be a lot of great information here, but if this is one big "pick on the poor guys" club, then I'm just wasting my time.

I had a plan to get myself ahead, but now most of my list is checked off, but I'm not yet where I wanted to be. I came here looking for some ideas on taking the next step.

Thanks for all who took the time to welcome me to the site, I do appreciate it!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

J.W.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jan 11, 2013
Oh I don't feel picked on. It just seamed like an odd introduction to me. It wouldn't be my choice as a first impression, then again, I'm not a millionaire.

J.W.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jan 11, 2013
Most people on a first introduction wouldn't look you in the eye and tell you career choice is tragic. Nor would they refer to you as a peon, how self righteous can you get?

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
I have several technicians that I currently manage, in my experience I get far better results when I encourage them to increase there skill set, rather than make fun of their lack of knowledge. I have seen other supervisors take the "positive provocation" approach, they generally end up getting referred to as D-bags by their employees, and usually get little to no respect either.

I can find a rich guy to look down his nose at me anywhere, in fact, I run into them on a daily basis. I came here looking for advice on getting myself to the point where I don't NEED the 9-5 any more, and only do it because I enjoy it, if I keep it at all.

Browsing through forums last night, there appears to be a lot of great information here, but if this is one big "pick on the poor guys" club, then I'm just wasting my time.

I had a plan to get myself ahead, but now most of my list is checked off, but I'm not yet where I wanted to be. I came here looking for some ideas on taking the next step.

Thanks for all who took the time to welcome me to the site, I do appreciate it!

Do you have any idea of what the next step will be? What has the plan looked like so far?

If you haven't yet, I definitely suggest reading the book.

InLikeFlint once shared something called the "inside-out" method that I think is very helpful for those looking to start businesses. Since it sounds like you've been involved at this job for awhile, maybe you're already in the thick of an industry that this could be applied to.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/fastlane/43781-inside-out-technique.html

Last edited by a moderator:

J.W.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jan 11, 2013
Do you have any idea of what the next step will be? What has the plan looked like so far?

If you haven't yet, I definitely suggest reading the book.

InLikeFlint once shared something called the "inside-out" method that I think is very helpful for those looking to start businesses. Since it sounds like you've been involved at this job for awhile, maybe you're already in the thick of an industry that this could be applied to.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/fastlane/43781-inside-out-technique.html

Thanks, that's kind of the direction I am thinking, I'll check out the book

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
I have a 9-5 job that I really enjoy, and the pay is decent, I don't plan on leaving, but I am looking for extra ways to start getting ahead in life, do more than just make wages, hoping this may give some ideas
Thanks

Since you are fortunate enough to have a decent job that you actually enjoy, you're in a great position to use that as the basis for getting started. There's no need to run away from what you know. It seems to me many if not most real successes are from people who leveraged their existing jobs and knowledge and connections. Examples would be like James Altucher when he worked at HBO in the 90's, basically used that to develop his business building some of the earliest websites for people in the entertainment industry. Or Mark Cuban as he used his experience with working retail computer software sales, to build connections for his own software business. Successful people (and people who want to be) sometimes like to think they sprang from the forehead of Zeus with the wisdom and inherent characteristics that define them as successful, but if they're honest with themselves and others, like Altucher and Cuban, they'd admit we all have to start somewhere.

Maybe you can figure out a way to convert the 9-to-5 relationship into something more amenable to developing your own thing, buying some time and income in the meantime, becoming a 1099 or something similar if possible in your field? Anyway I would make sure to cultivate as many connections as you can in your field, ahead of time before you make your "great escape". There's so many people who try to establish connections on LinkedIn or wherever, only after they quit/lose their job. It's a lot easier to do, less distasteful for all parties, when you're not needing that (yet).

There's a really good thread on here from someone who made their own thing happen after he had his epiphany, starting from nothing except his years of experience working in factories and manufacturing plants. You'll find that thread if you look for it, it's by TropicalMBA. I guess before he made it happen, people could have mocked him as a peon too.

It's easy to get agitated by provocation, but keep in mind it serves a purpose, and not just because it fulfills some personal need in the provoker... it also serves various function that can be useful to you in a few different ways: 1) If you get easily agitated and discouraged by such things, then you're probably better off sticking to your job, and that's not a negative thing to realize early on... 2) It does discourage weak players from playing, adding barrier to Entry... and 3) it can potentially piss you off enough so it motivates you to get going (that's not a good motivator from a long-term health perspective, from what I've seen though --- but whether or not that matters depends on how much you care about "seeing your grandchildren grow up" and that sort of hoo hah)

Good luck! Not that luck is something to rely on...

kraze

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Aug 1, 2011
Most people on a first introduction wouldn't look you in the eye and tell you career choice is tragic. Nor would they refer to you as a peon, how self righteous can you get?

You'll notice there are many young folks on this forum, some of whom are new to the notion of respect. I'm just glad my doctor genuinely enjoys his 9-5.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013

J.W.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jan 11, 2013
Since you are fortunate enough to have a decent job that you actually enjoy, you're in a great position to use that as the basis for getting started. There's no need to run away from what you know. It seems to me many if not most real successes are from people who leveraged their existing jobs and knowledge and connections. Examples would be like James Altucher when he worked at HBO in the 90's, basically used that to develop his business building some of the earliest websites for people in the entertainment industry. Or Mark Cuban as he used his experience with working retail computer software sales, to build connections for his own software business. Successful people (and people who want to be) sometimes like to think they sprang from the forehead of Zeus with the wisdom and inherent characteristics that define them as successful, but if they're honest with themselves and others, like Altucher and Cuban, they'd admit we all have to start somewhere.

Maybe you can figure out a way to convert the 9-to-5 relationship into something more amenable to developing your own thing, buying some time and income in the meantime, becoming a 1099 or something similar if possible in your field? Anyway I would make sure to cultivate as many connections as you can in your field, ahead of time before you make your "great escape". There's so many people who try to establish connections on LinkedIn or wherever, only after they quit/lose their job. It's a lot easier to do, less distasteful for all parties, when you're not needing that (yet).

There's a really good thread on here from someone who made their own thing happen after he had his epiphany, starting from nothing except his years of experience working in factories and manufacturing plants. You'll find that thread if you look for it, it's by TropicalMBA. I guess before he made it happen, people could have mocked him as a peon too.

It's easy to get agitated by provocation, but keep in mind it serves a purpose, and not just because it fulfills some personal need in the provoker... it also serves various function that can be useful to you in a few different ways: 1) If you get easily agitated and discouraged by such things, then you're probably better off sticking to your job, and that's not a negative thing to realize early on... 2) It does discourage weak players from playing, adding barrier to Entry... and 3) it can potentially piss you off enough so it motivates you to get going (that's not a good motivator from a long-term health perspective, from what I've seen though --- but whether or not that matters depends on how much you care about "seeing your grandchildren grow up" and that sort of hoo hah)

Good luck! Not that luck is something to rely on...

Thank you!

This has already given me a lot to ponder! Thanks

There is a lot of stuff on this site, I'm currently sorting through what is applicable and feasible in my position, vs what is not

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
You'll notice there are many young folks on this forum, some of whom are new to the notion of respect. I'm just glad my doctor genuinely enjoys his 9-5.

It was a joke with, in my opinion, no disrespect. If a three word joke bothers you that much then I don't know what to tell you.

J.W.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jan 11, 2013
It was a joke with, in my opinion, no disrespect. If a three word joke bothers you that much then I don't know what to tell you.

There was no offence taken really, I have participated in many forums in the past, mostly related to work (trades), or hobbies, generally the greetings are a bit kinder, but maybe I just need to adapt to a different sense of humour

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
Howdy! I think you will have a great time and learn a lot.

Looking forward to reading your future posts. :)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Welcome. I think your best course of action right now would be to seriously read the book. MJ pretty much lays out how we all feel. It will thicken your skin a bit. People don't get very far without reality checks and constructive criticism.

Peon was a joke... Just like occupy wall street is.

J.W.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jan 11, 2013
Than I apologize for taking offence

It appears as though step # 1 involves adding some books to my reading list

Thinking I will place some amazon orders before taking up any more of your time with questions I should be reading answers to

Thanks for the ideas thus far, and will keep up to date with progress and questions

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
Welcome. I think your best course of action right now would be to seriously read the book. MJ pretty much lays out how we all feel. It will thicken your skin a bit. People don't get very far without reality checks and constructive criticism.

Peon was a joke... Just like occupy wall street is.

"How we all feel"... Reminds me of a bar I used to go to a lot, back when I used to drink. One of the regulars started to treat the space as his personal living room. He would "own" the remote control and play his shows. When his favorite sitcom was on, he would insist that everyone keep the noise down, so he could have his regular good time laughing his a$$ off at the same old jokes. If people did not seem to show the same level of interest in the sitcom, and if they were being too loud during the show, he'd glare at them from across the bar, making it very clear they weren't welcome. Once he had an argument with a new customer, telling them, "I'm a regular here, this is what we do, and if you don't like it, you can leave." I'm sure he was thinking "this is how we all feel". I don't know why the bar tolerated this... I think he was buddies with the bartender or something. I haven't been back to that place in years.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
"How we all feel"... Reminds me of a bar I used to go to a lot, back when I used to drink. One of the regulars started to treat the space as his personal living room. He would "own" the remote control and play his shows. When his favorite sitcom was on, he would insist that everyone keep the noise down, so he could have his regular good time laughing his a$$ off at the same old jokes. If people did not seem to show the same level of interest in the sitcom, and if they were being too loud during the show, he'd glare at them from across the bar, making it very clear they weren't welcome. Once he had an argument with a new customer, telling them, "I'm a regular here, this is what we do, and if you don't like it, you can leave." I'm sure he was thinking "this is how we all feel". I don't know why the bar tolerated this... I think he was buddies with the bartender or something. I haven't been back to that place in years.

Gee I am sorry if I mistook this forum for an entrepreneur forum when it very clearly is a 9-5 job board. My bad.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012

J.W. In addition to making sure to get The Millionaire Fastlane , check out this thread in the Education | Book Recommendations sections about One Simple Idea by Stephen Key (it's about licensing your ideas). Mr. Key teaches that you can do well with the licensing route even if you keep your "day job", and in fact he recommends that as the smartest approach for a lot of people. It sounds like that avenue would be worthwhile for you to look into, based on where you're at and the background you've described. Might have to be careful that this approach doesn't conflict with your day job in terms of questionable ownership of intellectual property. Anyway Mr. Key is super helpful and he's answered a ton of questions on this forum.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA

Welcome to the forum! But grow some skin. :) If you can't take the answer "no," hear "you're wrong," and take criticism, business is not going to be the place for you. This isn't a get rich quick it get rich easy forum and without 210% commitment and a fierce mentality for success, you're not going to get much further than your 9-5.

I hope you read the books and your thoughts and feelings change! :D

kraze said:
I take it you're older? A lot of us "young folk" are here because we are aggressive individuals. If you haven't grabbed on to entrepreneurship until later in life, you may just not be as aggressive as the rest of us.

Suggested reading:
Cold Hard Truth: On Business, Money & Life: Amazon.ca: Kevin O'Leary: Books

The cold hard truth is that your average 9-5 is the result of watching life go while others are out there really living it.

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
Gee I am sorry if I mistook this forum for an entrepreneur forum when it very clearly is a 9-5 job board. My bad.

There's not really anything about entrepreneurship that involves calling someone a peon.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
OMG this was a "welcome" fail! Since when do people argue on introductory threads? :smilielol:

I will reiterate that we are glad to have you!!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Welcome.

Got a job you like? Cool. Now's the time to start playing offense. A 9 to 5 means that you wake up at like 6 or 7, and you get home around 5:30-6. You have the rest of your hours to work on your financial education.

Good luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...