The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New idea/general advice

Idea threads

behappy1300

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 11, 2020
Arizona
Hello all,

This is my first post. Just want to say MJ has opened my mind so much. I have been so unhappy in every job I ever had. Even when I was making $2k to $3k a week, and I realized it's because I have never been free the way I want to. I'm sick and tired of being a time prostitute.

I'm really hoping this doesn't come across as a sidewalker attitude or naive. I'm just seeking some advice about what to do. Also, to see if you think my idea has merit.

My idea is basically a hood that can attach to any article of clothing. The hood is mainly going to be used for sleeping, more than traditional hood purposes. I basically want it to be a pillow and sun shade.

Anyway, I was thinking since there isn't really anything I've seen quite like what I have in mind I might want to get a patent. We have a family friend who is a patent lawyer, but he says it'll cost $4k. From there I was thinking about doing crowd funding. I could also maybe see if jacket companies might be interested in buying it. I'm honestly not sure what the best strategy is.
I'm hardly making any money right now, but my expenses are relatively low. I do have decent credit, and got approved for a $10k loan to be able to get the ball rolling.

With this info, am I going about this poorly? Do you have suggestions? Does the idea have any merit? Any ideas on best strategy? Should I start this using debt?

I really want to go all in. I've just never fully committed, and let me tell you, the nail hurts pretty bad right now. I think the product could provide value, and I think it would have cool applications for outdoors, road trips, travel, maybe even military.

Just want to thank you all, especially MJ for opening my mind and giving me hope. Also, I'm an Arizona native, and was stoked you chose to move here. Great state!

If I need to get more specific about exactly what I had in mind I will.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
Hello all,

This is my first post. Just want to say MJ has opened my mind so much. I have been so unhappy in every job I ever had. Even when I was making $2k to $3k a week, and I realized it's because I have never been free the way I want to. I'm sick and tired of being a time prostitute.

I'm really hoping this doesn't come across as a sidewalker attitude or naive. I'm just seeking some advice about what to do. Also, to see if you think my idea has merit.

My idea is basically a hood that can attach to any article of clothing. The hood is mainly going to be used for sleeping, more than traditional hood purposes. I basically want it to be a pillow and sun shade.

Anyway, I was thinking since there isn't really anything I've seen quite like what I have in mind I might want to get a patent. We have a family friend who is a patent lawyer, but he says it'll cost $4k. From there I was thinking about doing crowd funding. I could also maybe see if jacket companies might be interested in buying it. I'm honestly not sure what the best strategy is.
I'm hardly making any money right now, but my expenses are relatively low. I do have decent credit, and got approved for a $10k loan to be able to get the ball rolling.

With this info, am I going about this poorly? Do you have suggestions? Does the idea have any merit? Any ideas on best strategy? Should I start this using debt?

I really want to go all in. I've just never fully committed, and let me tell you, the nail hurts pretty bad right now. I think the product could provide value, and I think it would have cool applications for outdoors, road trips, travel, maybe even military.

Just want to thank you all, especially MJ for opening my mind and giving me hope. Also, I'm an Arizona native, and was stoked you chose to move here. Great state!

If I need to get more specific about exactly what I had in mind I will.
I suggest that you make a prototype, show it to people you trust and see what their response to it is. If they say, "I like it" but go no further then it's not a great idea. If they say ,"I love it! How much will it cost me and when can I have one then you more than likely have something. All the best to you!

behappy1300

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 11, 2020
Arizona
I suggest that you make a prototype, show it to people you trust and see what their response to it is. If they say, "I like it" but go no further then it's not a great idea. If they say ,"I love it! How much will it cost me and when can I have one then you more than likely have something. All the best to you!
Thanks! I've made a really crude prototype, but I want to make a really great one that I know this product could be.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
Thanks! I've made a really crude prototype, but I want to make a really great one that I know this product could be.
Make the really good one and go and test market it on people you trust. Also google it and see if someone else made one. BTW remember the Snuggie? Who would have thought that would have sold millions but it did and is still selling in the colder months. See at Wmart every year. Good luck.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

behappy1300

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 11, 2020
Arizona
Make the really good one and go and test market it on people you trust. Also google it and see if someone else made one. BTW remember the Snuggie? Who would have thought that would have sold millions but it did and is still selling in the colder months. See at Wmart every year. Good luck.
Thanks, I will for sure.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.