The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking for an idea for an iPhone app / General advice needed

A topic related to SAAS or APPs

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
Hi everyone! Been a while. To make a long story job I had the typical 9-5 job at a start up company as a jr software engineer. The company went under and we all lost our jobs. That was in December. I am officially broke at 35, its sad and pathetic and making me lose motivation. I have been reading some of the gold threads on this forum and im starting to get that entrepreneur spark again like I had in my 20s(With zero direction pretty much though).

I have been making websites for the past 10 years and to be honest im getting sick of it, clients haggling prices, I just dont want to deal with it anymore. Especially being a one man team and doing everything.

I spent my 20s half-a*s trying to make money, working security, construction and making websites for clients. Now my goals are way bigger since I want to travel around, meet new people, like minded people while making an income online(cliche I know). I'm at the point right now where I NEED to make money, my dads health is declining and not sure how much longer he has left, its a terrible feeling you may be homeless if your father passes away, especially at 35.

I’m looking to get into iPhone development and learn swift. They say in the programming world pretty much to find a product or idea and build that, it will make the learning process easier since you have more motivation. But I really can’t think of an app idea that I can publish to the App Store. There are so many apps out there already. The app doesn’t have to “take off” just something where you think I could get some downloads and make passive income through ads or in-app purchases.

Opinions? Thoughts? Ideas?

*Sorry for the long(vent) post. Figured I would give you all a little backstory and history, maybe you guys can point something out im missing*

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
COMPLETELY slipped my mind that I created a similar thread to this last month on here, ha!...You can delete this one if you want MODS. This thread just has a bit more of a backstory then my other one. Sorry for the duplicate post.

ChristianGa0

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Feb 10, 2023
Germany
What you could do is find an app that already exists and just make it better. I know this is easier said than done, but in TMF MJ said that you don’t have to invent something completely new. Just take a existing product and make it better, along side that maybe take some courses in sales so you will also be able to sell that app and market it once its launched

AusAppDev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 2, 2022
I hear ya, there is so much out there now in 2023.

But you have the right perspective on having something to work to.

I've been on this mobile path last few years. i figured even if it's not the best idea, i could get the foundational things down and more ready if inspiration ever struck to pivot with a higher "base" under me.

In the interim while waiting for inspiration, i'd suggest building something simple but yet has the critical pieces in place. ( Page flows, MVVM, state management, local storage, services, auth)

For me it took awhile for everything to click and i have a bunch of tech debt as a result. If I could go back i'd do all of what i mentioned accessing 1 simple web service for some sample data just to get all that plumbing right...

happy to talk more....good luck!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.