The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

WEB/DIGITAL New Facebook Application

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Jakko

Contributor
Sep 2, 2007
I have an idea about an application that can be created on facebook. It is supposed to cater to those who are competitive in nature and are interested in activities like sports.

I would like to get a second opinion on it because I have no background in programing and I am not really sure if it can be set up as an application.

I know there are a few of you out there who have already created an application or are in the process of creating an application on facebook. Would anyone of you want to see if it could work? If we can create something out of it, then maybe you can have me as a parter.

But, how do I make it so that I can share my idea but still make it so that it is protected from being stolen?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
The best way would be to require to sign an NDA before revealing your idea.

OP
OP
J

Jakko

Contributor
Sep 2, 2007
Thank you, Jorge.

Do you know where I can obtain one? Would I need the assistance of an attorney?

JScott

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2007
Don't worry about keeping your idea a secret; just find someone you trust to help you develop it. Here are the problems with worrying about keeping an idea like this secret:

- As soon as you release the app, it's no longer protected. And any advantage you gain over being the first to release the app will be negated by someone else who is a better developer and better marketer. So focus your energy on building a great app, and less on trying to hide the details around it;

- Even with an NDA, someone can steal your idea. Of course, you'd have the recourse of a lawsuit, but that would be expensive, and I'm not sure you'd choose to pay legal fees (potentially in the hundreds of thousands of dollars) over a Facebook app;

- Even if you do decide to pursue legal recourse if someone steals your idea, proving that someone has violated an NDA can be difficult. Especially if your application idea is something that could easily have been conceived of by others, and doesn't contain any patentable technology. So, winning a case against someone who signed an NDA is far from certain.

Just my $.02, but my suggestion is to find someone you trust to help you and get moving on the idea...

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
:iagree: Ditto on the above. Preoccupation with protecting the idea usually results in an idea not executed. Just do it ... ideas are a dime a dozen, execution is 1 in a million.

scorpio70

New Contributor
Jan 14, 2008
FIRST POST - Re: New Facebook Application

I just joined, this is my first post, and I can relate 100% to your concerns. I also have a facebook app under development. I've broken my project up into parts, so that nobody working on it knows exactly what it is. The core of the application is a website/web based application developed by someone else. Then there is the facebook-centric graphic design done by a designer, with a mockup done by me using a facebook color pallette. Last of all I am learning some basic facebook markup language to turn the "website" into an app.

Personally I am not investing too much money in developing or advertising this because FB has a rep for being a poor advertising venue. I think a FB app(and mine, in particular - of course) is a good idea, but it will either "Go Big" or DIE, on its own merit. I'll let you know what my click through rate is like after my ads are up.

I am no expert, by the way, but I recommend that you become familiar with the terminology and process involved.

Some Facebook resources for you:
http://www.softwaredeveloper.com/features/develop-facebook-app-072607/
(List of How To's and Tutorials)

http://www.insidefacebook.com/2007/12/09/inside-facebook-marketing-bible-24-ways-to-market-your-brand-company-product-or-service-in-facebook/
(FB marketing bible)

Some other resources:
Joyent, Free Facebook App Host: http://joyent.com/developers/facebook/
(NO support, though. $45 setup/$45 month for low end cloud-computing service with support.)

Odesk: Hire freelancers - http://www.odesk.com/w/

PM me for my Facebook link.
Maybe we can work together on this or another future project. Anyone else on Facebook or interested in similar projects, talk to me. And no, I don't have capital and barely know anything about web development. I know just enough to hold a conversation with someone with real technical ability, and that's about it.

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
I have an idea about an application that can be created on facebook. It is supposed to cater to those who are competitive in nature and are interested in activities like sports.

I would like to get a second opinion on it because I have no background in programing and I am not really sure if it can be set up as an application.

I know there are a few of you out there who have already created an application or are in the process of creating an application on facebook. Would anyone of you want to see if it could work? If we can create something out of it, then maybe you can have me as a parter.

But, how do I make it so that I can share my idea but still make it so that it is protected from being stolen?

Jakko,

Amongst many other web devs we are capable of doing, we ALSO do facebook applications. We actually just finished doing a "beer pong tournament tracker" application for a local college student ;-) If you want to get an idea of price, just shoot me an email at tom@aptohosting.com or call me at 1-866-404-9090.

Thanks,
Tom C.
www.aptohosting.com

OP
OP
J

Jakko

Contributor
Sep 2, 2007
Jorge, JScott and MJ. Thanks guys. I know I can't always be preoccupied with protecting the idea. I am going to start implementing my ideas into action.

Scorpio, thank you for providing the links. Some of them had really great articles on various topics.

Apto, thank you for the offer. Right now, I am in the process of writing up a business plan so I'll let you know when I am ready to take it up to the next step.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
New Course! Upwork Client Psychology I #UdemyApproved! Upwork Client Psychology I is...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Welcome to 2020, I wanted to add in a quick note about gratitude for the new year...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

The 2020 Fastlane Summit

This event SOLD OUT in October. For authorized resale tickets, please check ticket resales or contact the forum directly.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom