The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need help finding a website application

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane
D

Deleted84049

Hey guys,

I have spent a lot of time trying to find a certain application for my website. My limited knowledge in web design is preventing me from finding it, so I was hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

It is basically a search application, where you can set filters (such as location, price, etc) that compares business.
I'm sure when you see one you will know it, but I have no idea what it's called or how to look for it.

I've added a picture of an example (this is a Dutch real estate site, but the functionality is the same as what I mean.

1609593423449.png

Would be amazing if you guys can help me find it, or tell me what these types of apps are called.
Thanks a million! :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

nutleydotie

eCommerce Development Consultant - www.snazzy.ie
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 13, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
WordPress based website your building? Have a look at "Toolset"

What your trying to create are "Custom Post Types" or CPT and use "Advance Fields" and then create search filters based on these features. Have built a few Web Apps like this in the past with Toolset.

D

Deleted84049

WordPress based website your building? Have a look at "Toolset"

What your trying to create are "Custom Post Types" or CPT and use "Advance Fields" and then create search filters based on these features. Have built a few Web Apps like this in the past with Toolset.
Thanks for the reply!

Yes using WordPress. Will it require any coding?

And also there is no free plug-in or anything that can achieve the same result? Just asking before I buy Toolset for a year. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

nutleydotie

eCommerce Development Consultant - www.snazzy.ie
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 13, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
There are loads of free alternatives but need to try to figure what works with what etc. Toolset is combined suite. There is a bit of a learning curve, maybe take a look at their free tutorials to understand how they work etc. It took me a while to get my head around it.

The main thing your after is Filter Search - Creating a Custom Search in WordPress - Toolset

The majority of the plugin is no code, there might be some basic code for queries. The tutorial above should cover it all. This method will give you a decent level of customisation to get it to work as you want.

You could go for a theme with the search feature, but you're really limited by whats included in the theme and their standard of coding.

D

Deleted84049

There are loads of free alternatives but need to try to figure what works with what etc. Toolset is combined suite. There is a bit of a learning curve, maybe take a look at their free tutorials to understand how they work etc. It took me a while to get my head around it.

The main thing your after is Filter Search - Creating a Custom Search in WordPress - Toolset

The majority of the plugin is no code, there might be some basic code for queries. The tutorial above should cover it all. This method will give you a decent level of customisation to get it to work as you want.

You could go for a theme with the search feature, but you're really limited by whats included in the theme and their standard of coding.
Got it. Thanks again. I'll check it out, but it's a bit pricey for only this thing that I'm trying to create.

Blek

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 15, 2018
Poland
Find a freelancer or if you have nerve code it yourself / it is not complicated.
Article below is an example (don't know if good in 2021, but should be) - but You have all words for googling further / find plugin eventually.

D

Deleted84049

Find a freelancer or if you have nerve code it yourself / it is not complicated.
Article below is an example (don't know if good in 2021, but should be) - but You have all words for googling further / find plugin eventually.
Awesome, thanks for that!

Cerno

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Aug 28, 2020
Los Angeles
Hey guys,

I have spent a lot of time trying to find a certain application for my website. My limited knowledge in web design is preventing me from finding it, so I was hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

It is basically a search application, where you can set filters (such as location, price, etc) that compares business.
I'm sure when you see one you will know it, but I have no idea what it's called or how to look for it.

I've added a picture of an example (this is a Dutch real estate site, but the functionality is the same as what I mean.

View attachment 36177

Would be amazing if you guys can help me find it, or tell me what these types of apps are called.
Hey guys,

View attachment 36177

You are looking for what is called "Faceted Search"
There are modules available for Wordpress, Drupal and other website frameworks.
If your website has thousands of listings and many facets you will want to use a system that uses a search appliance to have good performance.

G63AMG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Oct 29, 2020
I am a fullstack developer and have built multiple MVP's and am currently working on one with the same general structure as this. This is my opinion and not representative of perfection.

Options are:

1. Build it yourself from scratch:
  • Use a Javascript framework (Vue, React) - this will allow your site UX to be 10x better than what you can expect from Wordpress. Host it on a CDN platform and reap the rewards of fast load times converting users
  • Hardest option, requires time, learning, and well thought out project structure (frontend/backend)
2. Use a Wordpress Plugin on top of your Wordpress site:
  • This option allows you to solve the problem a bit more custom
  • Still will require work and depending on your understanding of PHP and custom WP plugins (because you will almost certainly have to modify it to match your needs) could be a nightmare to maintain as requirements change
3. Use a pre-built theme:
  • Immediately solves your problem in a plug-n-play manner - I always use ThemeForest specifically for larger listing type MVP's because time matters
  • Will get developer updates from the team that built it as if its your own developer team
  • Best Part: quickly test your idea. If it works you can take time to build it from scratch with the exact features and usability you want while also running the business idea to narrow down needs.
Personally I would do #3 while learning/working on #1.

bracknelson

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 28, 2020
Thanks, for sharing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.