The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Never too old to get started right?

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
So here I am, 47 years old and all cushy, comfy with a six figure salary (JOB), nice house (MORTGAGE), two cars (CAR PAYMENTS), two kids about to go to college (TUITION), sorely lacking in savings (VICTIM OF THE COMPOUNDING INTEREST SCAM & CONSUMERISM), and scared to death I’ll be serving INDENTURED TIME until I’m old and gray (47 is not old).

A degreed professional, I've been in purchasing, sourcing, supply chain and logistics for the better part of twenty years. And yes, I've been treading in the slow lane for far too long. I've let my dreams slip past me and my entrepreneurial spirit become not but an ember.

I’ve been an action faker and entrepreneur pretender in the past. As I’m reading through Unscripted for the second time I feel like MJ is talking about me as if he’s been watching me for year ala The Truman Show watching me buy business cards on vista print and buy domain names without ever doing anything with them or nearly spend $50K on a real estate investment program.

I am at a point in my life where not only am I ready I finally feel confident enough to be an entrepreneur. I see examples of successful small businesses every day in my job. I source from companies I could have started and buy products I could have come up with and see brands being developed that I could develop better all the time. The one thing they did that I didn't...take action.

So now I have a plan that involves three big steps with a lot of little steps in between that will lead to my ultimate escape from indentured time. I hope to learn from the people in the forum as well as give back and hopefully provide value.

Time to stoke the ember into a roaring flame!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

robodale

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Dec 1, 2017
Sioux Falls, SD
Welcome to the forum @RobD88. 44 years old here, so your post caught my attention. It sounds like you have some killer domain knowledge...anything it takes to move yourself forward. Definitely following this thread!

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Nope, it is never too old, the first important thing is recognising right where you are, once you have a sound mind and you can actively make changes, that is the first step in getting ahead.

I will admit that it's great that MJs books at the time it came out can help young people get ahead with entrepreneurship BUT, this goes for everyone, regardless of age.

While it may be known as the fastlane, surely we recognise it doesn't mean overnight success, but, it means we are all equipped with the powerful knowledge for building successful businesses and genuine contributions within a timely manner, which also gives us the opportunity to Actually live and enjoy it.

I know its easy to wonder why we didn't know the information earlier in our lives and while that would have been cool, look at it as like the time we came across the knowledge was/is the right time for us to get active. Now is the time to build your greatness!

Rockford

Burpee Enthusiast
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Dec 31, 2017
Florida
I'll be 47 in March and I have a similar history, albeit in a different line of work. Watching this thread so I can follow your journey. Welcome to the forum!

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
You are not alone. There are a number of us 40+'s here that are just getting started on our entrepreneurial journeys. Like you, I have a successful and comfortable (ick) career but the amount of time traded for that comfort is unjustifiable. As long as you stay true to what you want, your "Why?", you will succeed.

Welcome and good luck, or should I say, hard work, to you.

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
You are not alone. There are a number of us 40+'s here that are just getting started on our entrepreneurial journeys. Like you, I have a successful and comfortable (ick) career but the amount of time traded for that comfort is unjustifiable. As long as you stay true to what you want, your "Why?", you will succeed.

Welcome and good luck, or should I say, hard work, to you.

Weird to think that "comfortable" can be icky but it is. I am so eager to be in control of my own destiny even though it will put me out of my comfort zone. We grow up being taught to build a comfortable life yet it's discomfort that makes us change our habits for the better.

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
So I have to say I'm pretty excited. I started building my first website last night and learning the software program & hosting site that publishes it. I have a business concept that will allow me to give back to children within a large global community.

I was able to put a solid rough draft together and put it out there to see and play with to understand the user interface and get some feedback from some family and friends. It's a small step but a positive step forward and true action vs. action faking.

One small step for man. One giant leap.....

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
You've got age, but you've also got experience.

You're not starting from scratch, like the 20-somethings here are.

Leveraging your prior work experience and make something of your own.

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
You've got age, but you've also got experience.

You're not starting from scratch, like the 20-somethings here are.

Leveraging your prior work experience and make something of your own.

Great point! Thanks.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Great point! Thanks.

I'm reading a book called The E-myth right now, I think you'd really enjoy it.

The book talks about making sure you become an entrepreneur, not just a technician who eliminates their boss, but creates a job for themselves.

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
I'm reading a book called The E-myth right now, I think you'd really enjoy it.

The book talks about making sure you become an entrepreneur, not just a technician who eliminates their boss, but creates a job for themselves.

Actually already read it. I didn't like it much. This was my review on Amazon:

"I’m all for tried and true business philosophy but the advice in this book is a bit outdated. The basic concepts are okay but the advised application doesn’t fit today’s world. The author spouts delivering value before anything and I agree. What he doesn’t get is the mindset of today’s consumer. He offers advice as if we still live in a print and TV driven advertising age. The digital world we live in has completely changed today’s consumer and purchasing mindset.
Again…underlying principles are okay but delivery is suspect."

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Actually already read it. I didn't like it much. This was my review on Amazon:

Nice. Yeah, I'm 1/3 of the way through, so the jury's still out.

The underlying principles are solid so far, but the book is wordy and pedantic, and it's basically one big sales pitch for his consulting business.

I haven't felt so far that any of the advice has been outdated. Maybe I'll get there.

KingChuck211

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 24, 2018
Birmingham, U.K
So here I am, 47 years old and all cushy, comfy with a six figure salary (JOB), nice house (MORTGAGE), two cars (CAR PAYMENTS), two kids about to go to college (TUITION), sorely lacking in savings (VICTIM OF THE COMPOUNDING INTEREST SCAM & CONSUMERISM), and scared to death I’ll be serving INDENTURED TIME until I’m old and gray (47 is not old).

A degreed professional, I've been in purchasing, sourcing, supply chain and logistics for the better part of twenty years. And yes, I've been treading in the slow lane for far too long. I've let my dreams slip past me and my entrepreneurial spirit become not but an ember.

I’ve been an action faker and entrepreneur pretender in the past. As I’m reading through Unscripted for the second time I feel like MJ is talking about me as if he’s been watching me for year ala The Truman Show watching me buy business cards on vista print and buy domain names without ever doing anything with them or nearly spend $50K on a real estate investment program.

I am at a point in my life where not only am I ready I finally feel confident enough to be an entrepreneur. I see examples of successful small businesses every day in my job. I source from companies I could have started and buy products I could have come up with and see brands being developed that I could develop better all the time. The one thing they did that I didn't...take action.

So now I have a plan that involves three big steps with a lot of little steps in between that will lead to my ultimate escape from indentured time. I hope to learn from the people in the forum as well as give back and hopefully provide value.

You are never too old!! I wish you all the best! You can do it!!!

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
So momentum continued last night. Worked on some operational issues and did some market research. Decided I needed to start tracking my time & financials and created an Excel workbook to load all of my monthly information into that will show me time, income/revenue, expenses, net results, etc.

I feel having a visual representation of progress or lack thereof will help me parse out the macro actions that I need to keep moving forward.

ErikGladiator85

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Nov 19, 2017
Germany
@RobD88 I can recommend The Book "The 4-Hour Workweek" by Timothy Ferris for further Information on "Time Management" and filtering the Macro-Tasks to avoid "action-faking" and Running on the Mill of Useless Micro-Tasks. Even if your goal is not to work 4 hours a week for now (which it shouldn't be right now - gain traction first i would recommend), and even if the book is really looked down upon, it is a tremendously helpful read.

If you want to cut corners here, read a summary like this or google "Pareto Principle" and "Parkinson's Law". They will make your Work more effective in a shorter amount of Time.

Also, i can recommend this thread. (@LightHouse)

A visual representation of your progress is a great idea. Remind yourself to look at it if you dip into a psychological downtime - it also helped me to exit mine quite a bit.

Best of Luck,

Erik

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
I'm 52 and just started with MJ a few years ago. My life has changed. I'm still working, but now I work as a freelancer so I make three times what I used to. It takes a bit longer when we get older, but I'm doing it. Lots of money. Developing a few inventions. Welcome to our group! You can do it!

@thecocopod Thanks for the insight and encouragement. Both of MJ's book had an astounding impact on my perception of life as well. As I have my blinker on to change lanes from slow to fast I'm really starting to figure things out and realize it's not as hard as I thought to start a business and move forward.

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
Quick update. I am getting very close to launching my first website and taking the first step towards building my fast lane empire. The website is almost done aesthetically. I'm currently going through a graphic design course on Udemy and once that is done I will use my new found skills to finish the designs on my products, load them to my site and officially launch. My goal is to do that by April 6th. That weekend I will be at a large convention/gathering of my target market and will start advertising and handing out informational flyers at the event. I'm pretty excited!

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
I'm starting all over at 64 so you guys are still young in my book. I don't feel too old by the way.
It's all in the mind if you still have good health.

Galaxy16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Feb 4, 2018
Germany

I enjoy reading that story.
Thank you for sharing!

I am looking forward to reading UNSCRIPTED ♡♡♡

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!