The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need your thoughts on my idea!

Idea threads

kelvinleang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Dec 4, 2015
My idea is to create a device that would somehow automate the act of paying for parking fees. Parkings inside malls, open areas, etc. This sensor device will be placed in your car and will detect another receiving sensor just before the parking entrance's barricade.

Parking payments will be done automatically through the devices onto the computer.

I wanna hear you guys out on this! Any suggestions on where should i begin in this journey and in developing this product? Any insight is much appreciated [emoji1].

Sent from my SM-G9287C using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Are you an electrical engineer?

I don't think the idea itself is bad, but developing something like this isn't trivial.

What market problem does it solve? Do people hate taking 1 minute to pay an attendant? Is there a large outcry over prepaying for a block of time in advance and leaving the receipt on your dash?

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I don't drive so I'm not too acquainted with this but doesn't "Park Hero" do that? You pay with the app before you even go and then at the end when you are leaving you put your code on the payment machine or something similar. That's what my driver-friend did one time we went out. I can't quite tell if it's really a pain point, like @lowtek said.

Edit: (Don't forget that even if someone else did it before, you might be able to do it better!)

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
This is a great idea for parking garages, but it'd be hard to expand to multiple states and for people to implement the system. I've been stuck in a 10 car line multiple times because of how slow the paying process is to get out of a parking garage, def a pain point for me.

Edit: It depends on the parking garage on if there is a market or not, it has to be a parking garage that gets a lot of traffic. The parking garage I'm talking about has people coming and going all day, so it's a constant line up, but not all parking garages are like that.

It's much more efficient at the airport parking garage I go to in Tampa because they have a sunpass system setup for paying the fees. I roll my car through and sunpass registers I'm in there, and then I roll my car out and sunpass will do the math and charge me accordingly for the time I've been in there. That system made FL toll roads and some parking garages very convenient and they make a ton of money from it.

That's a tough task to do, best of luck if you pursue it. One problem I see is what if the people don't have that system in their car? You then have to install security with a way to hit those people with a bill later and get it approved by law that if people don't pay the bill, they get fined X dollars.

Buickestate

any colour as long as it comes with wood
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
what safe guards can you add to prevent individual from walking among the parked cars with a black box and filling some off shore bank account?

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
what safe guards can you add to prevent individual from walking among the parked cars with a black box and filling some off shore bank account?

this is partly why I asked if he was a EE. There are numerous security and privacy issues with such a technology.

I would rather spend a couple minutes each time I go to a parking garage paying a machine or an attendant than install some blackbox into my car. I don't even use the car insurance company plug in dealy to get lower rates. They don't need to know how often I'm speeding ;)

kelvinleang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Dec 4, 2015
Thanks for all your insights!

@lowtek i'm not an EE, so yeah it'll take alot of studying and processing to get this done. Do you have any thoughts on where should I start? Maybe create a prototype of my own(study coding) or get someone to do it for me?

And as for the pain point in my area in the philippines it is similar to what @Duane said, parking lots especially near malls and business districts are over crowded with queues that even block some roads.(i know its not too good) So ill be targeting these lots as my market.

@BellaPippin thanks for the heads up. I haven't heard of that company and ill look onto that. Thanks!

@Buickestate thanks for the insight ill take note of this.

kelvinleang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Dec 4, 2015
That's a tough task to do, best of luck if you pursue it. One problem I see is what if the people don't have that system in their car? You then have to install security with a way to hit those people with a bill later and get it approved by law that if people don't pay the bill, they get fined X dollars.

Thanks! If they don't have the device in their car, they will have to pay the parking fee traditionally. The added service of this system is that they are able to load money in the device so it also acts as a "parking wallet".

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
Thanks! If they don't have the device in their car, they will have to pay the parking fee traditionally. The added service of this system is that they are able to load money in the device so it also acts as a "parking wallet".

That completely takes away the idea of convenience. The only way this will be more convenient is if there is a special lane for people to exit using this "parking wallet". If everyone exits through the same place, I'm still stuck behind the people that don't have this device waiting for them to pay. I don't think there is a market for just a device to load money on and pay the meter, it's extra accounts people have to keep up with, they can just use their debit card, swipe it and not worry about having money in that separate account or anything.

Actually, thinking about it now, it's not a great idea to implement in my opinion. It would cost a lot to remodel existing parking garages in order to have an easier, more efficient way to get in and out. But I don't think anybody/city that currently owns parking garages would do that remodel, but if you were big enough, current parking garage projects could build 2 extra lanes for people with the electronic pass, but that takes away parking spaces and lost profit+more headache with the traffic trying to get in and out of that thing. Which if that's the case, you'd then again need security to prevent people from just going through ez pay lane. It sounds more of a headache than a problem solver as I think about it.

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
Why would it have to be a device?

Why not a GPS-based mobile app which registers when you're in the car park and allows you to confirm that you're parking there, which registers and then sends the details to the parking company?

People already pay for parking by phone or SMS. It's just taking the concept one step further.

Kasper

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Dec 4, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
There are lots of companies doing this very well where i am situated. Works with an app and a code in the windshield of the car. It is quite a few years old and pretty well developed.... If you haven't got this system where you are I would humbly suggest to copy with pride. There are a few players on the market, and I think competition is pretty fierce... Which would indicate that it is a pretty good business... Ask away if you need anything

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
People already have EZpass (at least in the Washington-Boston corridor) - what if there was an EZpass lane and you paid for parking like you paid for tolls?

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
Yeah, this is common place in major cities, especially on toll roads.

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
It is something like the device people use on highways to pay the toll. I would rather develop an app vs physical device like that.

happybhoy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 2, 2015
Ecosse
The police in the uk use automatic number plate recognition cameras to instantly check whether your car is properly registered when you drive past them.
You could have these at exit barriers. If your plate is registered with the system the barrier lifts and you are debited the fee from your account.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
I think your idea is great, your implementation would be really tough though.

Your asking consumers to buy a device, and then the parking garage to have compatible equipment. So if there are 100 stalls you have to sell to 101 people to make the system maximally effective (1 for garage and 100 consumer to sell to)

Here's an idea instead. Sell some device to the garage, or better yet do it all in software. Use the software or device to generate a new code every 5 minutes that can be displayed.

Have a free app for all phones (low barrier to entry for consumer), use the GPS to see where they are, and give a list of nearby garage.

When they enter they simply select the garage and enter the code say 5 numbers into their phone and it registers them. Maybe show license plates of those registered so the gate agent can wave people through, but this provides backward access to people not using the system.

Repeat this process on exit with GPS and a code. Then have a service fee for the garage say $.10 a car to use the system. I can envision lots of ways to extend this concept.

People could register and pay waiting in line, this would greatly reduce or nearly eliminate wait times.

This model you only have to sell one thing to one person, the garage. Your build out cost is much much less. And you will have subscription income which imho is far better than selling a product based on one time purchase price.

kelvinleang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Dec 4, 2015
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. Yeah, I think making it as an app would be much better production-wise(wont be making much device)as well.

@Kasper - Can you name some similar companies?

@throttleforward - yeah thats where I thought of the idea from :)

I think your idea is great, your implementation would be really tough though.

Your asking consumers to buy a device, and then the parking garage to have compatible equipment. So if there are 100 stalls you have to sell to 101 people to make the system maximally effective (1 for garage and 100 consumer to sell to)

Here's an idea instead. Sell some device to the garage, or better yet do it all in software. Use the software or device to generate a new code every 5 minutes that can be displayed.

Have a free app for all phones (low barrier to entry for consumer), use the GPS to see where they are, and give a list of nearby garage.

When they enter they simply select the garage and enter the code say 5 numbers into their phone and it registers them. Maybe show license plates of those registered so the gate agent can wave people through, but this provides backward access to people not using the system.

Repeat this process on exit with GPS and a code. Then have a service fee for the garage say $.10 a car to use the system. I can envision lots of ways to extend this concept.

People could register and pay waiting in line, this would greatly reduce or nearly eliminate wait times.

This model you only have to sell one thing to one person, the garage. Your build out cost is much much less. And you will have subscription income which imho is far better than selling a product based on one time purchase price.

@GIlman - Hey thanks for your suggestion. I guess its better to make it as pure SaaS than something like a 50/50 (hardware and software)

About the 5 digit or somethjng code you're saying, why does it need to change every 5 mins.? And why does it provide backdoor access to those not using the system? I'm not much of an IT guy so I don't have much knowledge on softwares YET. I'll make a good prototype of it first and see how it goes

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
The only reason I was thinking that was so people could not mark them selves as arrived or mark themselves as having left early if paid by the hour parking.

You could even do a QR code to scan. These can be scanned from a distance if they were say 2 ft x 2ft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
In Florida, your SunPass (EZ Pass, T-Tag, PikePass in other states) isn't just used for toll roads; it can be used at the airport, too. The parking lot has a pair of RFID readers that tag your transponder when you enter the parking lot and when you leave. The time difference between scans is used to calculate the price of parking. If your SunPass account is linked to your bank account, you're charged automatically. It all works seamlessly and is very convenient.

Part of the problem is standardization. One pass doesn't work in all states. As I mentioned, Florida has SunPass. Texas has T-Tags. Oklahoma has PikePass. California has FasTrak. You get the idea, but you can see how there is big potential for the person who solves this problem.

Obstacle #2 is infrastructure. RFID transponders need to be installed in all of these locations, but that has already been mentioned.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
Are Android Pay, Google Wallet, Apple Pay, and other "soft," wireless payment methods viable options?

BrianPM

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Oct 9, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Interesting idea but definitely think make it free for consumers, and sell in conduction with the garages to automate the parking system/cut cost of manual workforce. I know there is a company in Ohio called ABM that is the largest parking garage company nationwide. They accept credit card payments instead of coins. The downside for consumers I believe, is if you go over your allotted time, u get a ticket automatically from the police.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
I use an app called parkwhiz. It is linked with a ton of NYC parking garages and I prepay for parking passes before getting there. Usually can get a better deal on parking with the app.

I do have to show the attendant my pass however. Something fully automated would be more convenient if you cut the attendant out of the equation. Almost like an EZ pass for parking garages.

kelvinleang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Dec 4, 2015
@Marc B yeah although these e wallets are not used in my place as much as in other countries. Perhaps credit card integratiom can work?

@AustinS28 hi may I ask how does parkwhiz record your time in and out in the garage? Like do they scan a QR code in your phone or is it done manually in the garage?

Kasper

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Dec 4, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
Ok, I think that maybe I was not clear enough on my first post. Your product exists and works really well. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/easypark/id449594317?mt=8
You will pay over the phone, extend parking time, and stop your parking time, so you do not overpay (like if you pay for an hour and leave after 30 mins.) and I think you can also find free parking spots via the app. I think you should be careful not to over complicate your idea. It is pretty simple…
I think there where other competitors on this market, but easy park won the battle...

kelvinleang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Dec 4, 2015
Ok, I think that maybe I was not clear enough on my first post. Your product exists and works really well. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/easypark/id449594317?mt=8
You will pay over the phone, extend parking time, and stop your parking time, so you do not overpay (like if you pay for an hour and leave after 30 mins.) and I think you can also find free parking spots via the app. I think you should be careful not to over complicate your idea. It is pretty simple…
I think there where other competitors on this market, but easy park won the battle...

Thanks for the tip!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.