The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need someone to evaluate accounting software for me - VA? Where to hire?

ChocolateFactory

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 2, 2023
I don't really think I could generally use a VA at the moment, but there is one thing I really need help with:
I'm looking for a tool, or a collection tools, that would cover the following needs:

• Log hours spent by hour staff (timesheets), ideally both billable and non-billable hours
  • Generate invoices based on billable hours from timesheets
  • Import invoices from our suppliers (including invoices from freelancers)
  • Analytics (how much money are we making per staff member, per project etc.)
  • Accounting (so I can give our accountant access, so she can do the taxes for the company)
We have to be handle to different multiple different currencies and as exchange rates fluctuate, this can have a big impact on our profit. Multi-currency support is often limited, so this is the most critical aspect that needs to be evaluated.

I have been recommended several different products (Harvest, Xero, Freshbooks, Quickbooks, Odoo, ...) and while it shouldn't be that difficult to set up the software, it is extremely time-consuming, and then you may still find out in the end that it doesn't handle multiple currencies well.
So I'd like to pay someone to give different combinations a spin and create Loom videos comparing different options for us.

I have thought about just hiring an accountant from the Philippines for this job (I've seen onlinejobs.ph recommended on this forum before), but I don't know if that would really be the best option as I'm not looking someone who is proficient in the use of one specific tool, but rather someone who understands our needs and can play around with many different potential solutions until we've found one that does what we need. So maybe even a local university student could be a better fit? Or I could just put up a job post on Upwork... But I feel that what you get there is a very mixed bag.
If it goes well, I might even hire the person permanently, if I can find more work for him/her - which I'm not sure about at the moment, but that would be another argument for not hiring an accountant, but rather a VA in general.

Where would you start looking for such a person?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I would start by watching some YouTube videos that have already covered this topic a million times over. After that, if I still wasn't clear, I'd call the company(ies) I'm considering and speak with a sales rep who can answer all of my questions for free.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChocolateFactory

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 2, 2023
I would start by watching some YouTube videos that have already covered this topic a million times over. After that, if I still wasn't clear, I'd call the company(ies) I'm considering and speak with a sales rep who can answer all of my questions for free.
Yes, that's something the person doing this work could do (among other options).
It's not a good use of my own time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.