- Joined
- Aug 9, 2007
- Messages
- 682
Rep Bank
$865
$865
User Power: 17%
Hi all,
I wanted to get some feedback from the members here because I've been talking with family and a couple friends who are attorneys and I'm getting too many different opinions.
I was rear-ended about 2 months ago coming off the interstate. The guy who hit me is insured by the same company as me. My car needed about $7k in repairs and they stepped up and cover the repairs without an issue and everything went very smoothly.
I drove myself to the emergency room after the accident to get checked out. I wasn't in much pain at the time and the diagosis was torn liagments in my next which the doctor said should take care of themselves. So I was quite relieved.
Unfortunately, about 3 weeks after the accident, I began to experience extremely bad back and neck pain. I went to my doctor and they referred me to physical therapy. I explained this to the insurance company and they told me to get a "treatment plan" from the physical therapist and that they would cover the cost. So all was well.
But, I've been in physical therapy now for over a month and have not started to feel better. And the insurance company now tells me that they won't pay the bills as I receive them, but that they will pay me out a "lump sum" estimate based on the costs and that I would have to sign a releaese to get the funds. I am very cautious and concerned about signing the release.
I've had to miss 2 hours of work a day twice a week and I'm not sleeping well and basically in pain 24/7. It is not SEVERE pain, but extremely uncomfortable.
I've talked to 2 family members who are attorneys and both said do not sign the release unless the insurance company pays you "damages and money for future costs" in case they were to arise. One told me to get my insurance company involved, which I did, but they basically said since the other driver was insured by the same company, they will not "be going after them."
So my issue is this. I have over $1,000 in bills that need to be paid. I can cover these costs for now out of my savings, but if this drags on another couple of months, I'm in trouble. I don't want to settle and release the liability, but I need to get these bills paid. The insurance company told me to make an offer, which I did of $20,000, but they basically laughed in my face. They said they would cover my bills and future estimated costs (maybe $2k), but that's it.
I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place. I need to start paying these bills and my physical therapist / emergency room / etc are asking me for payment ASAP, but I don't want to "settle" and release the insurance company of liability in case I don't get better for a long time.
I have other people telling me to hire a personal injury lawyer and letting them settle this for me. I'd rather not go that route, but its starting to become extremely stressful and I'm not sure what to do anymore.
Any advice? Thanks.
I wanted to get some feedback from the members here because I've been talking with family and a couple friends who are attorneys and I'm getting too many different opinions.
I was rear-ended about 2 months ago coming off the interstate. The guy who hit me is insured by the same company as me. My car needed about $7k in repairs and they stepped up and cover the repairs without an issue and everything went very smoothly.
I drove myself to the emergency room after the accident to get checked out. I wasn't in much pain at the time and the diagosis was torn liagments in my next which the doctor said should take care of themselves. So I was quite relieved.
Unfortunately, about 3 weeks after the accident, I began to experience extremely bad back and neck pain. I went to my doctor and they referred me to physical therapy. I explained this to the insurance company and they told me to get a "treatment plan" from the physical therapist and that they would cover the cost. So all was well.
But, I've been in physical therapy now for over a month and have not started to feel better. And the insurance company now tells me that they won't pay the bills as I receive them, but that they will pay me out a "lump sum" estimate based on the costs and that I would have to sign a releaese to get the funds. I am very cautious and concerned about signing the release.
I've had to miss 2 hours of work a day twice a week and I'm not sleeping well and basically in pain 24/7. It is not SEVERE pain, but extremely uncomfortable.
I've talked to 2 family members who are attorneys and both said do not sign the release unless the insurance company pays you "damages and money for future costs" in case they were to arise. One told me to get my insurance company involved, which I did, but they basically said since the other driver was insured by the same company, they will not "be going after them."
So my issue is this. I have over $1,000 in bills that need to be paid. I can cover these costs for now out of my savings, but if this drags on another couple of months, I'm in trouble. I don't want to settle and release the liability, but I need to get these bills paid. The insurance company told me to make an offer, which I did of $20,000, but they basically laughed in my face. They said they would cover my bills and future estimated costs (maybe $2k), but that's it.
I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place. I need to start paying these bills and my physical therapist / emergency room / etc are asking me for payment ASAP, but I don't want to "settle" and release the insurance company of liability in case I don't get better for a long time.
I have other people telling me to hire a personal injury lawyer and letting them settle this for me. I'd rather not go that route, but its starting to become extremely stressful and I'm not sure what to do anymore.
Any advice? Thanks.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
