The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need a mentor to get my income off the ground ?

Rim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jan 27, 2020
France
I've had some great mentors. And I've done the same for many others. Mentors are not helpers. They give advice and guidance. It's NOT a hands-on relationship in my experience. You do the work and they simple add their expertise along the journey. As you do the work, you will follow the learning curve and gain your own expertise.
thank you for sharing your experience it helps me to see more clearly

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jeffrost

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 30, 2020
Sheffield, UK
Hey @Rim

One good proven way to get going - pick a skill (web design, copywriting, seo etc) and get out their and start helping real businesses.

It’s not millions but it’s a good place to start.
Spot on! Remember MJs CENTS formula and also the Ikigai principle -
Choose something that
You love
You're good at
People need
People will pay for
What are you top 3 practical skills?

Good luck

Rim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jan 27, 2020
France
Sur place ! Rappelez-vous la formule MJs CENTS et aussi le principe Ikigai -
Choisissez quelque chose qui
Tu aimes
Tu es bon à
Les gens ont besoin
Les gens paieront pour
Quelles sont vos 3 principales compétences pratiques ?

Bonne chance
thanks, my 3 skills and well I would say: motivate people, do voice-overs and build blogs

Edit: I should reread TMF because in my memories I had understood that you had to first choose a business that pays off and then, once you are rich, do what you love

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@Rim been a day.
what has been completed?
what were the results?
what are your next three specific actions?

Rim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jan 27, 2020
France
@Rim been a day.
what has been completed?
what were the results?
what are your next three specific actions?
well, i worked on my blog, and started an online webdesign training (i feel like these are revisions because these are things i know for now)

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
and if YOU were your mentor, and that was the output for a full day after getting solid advice and direction, what would you say to your mentee?

Rim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jan 27, 2020
France
and if YOU were your mentor, and that was the output for a full day after getting solid advice and direction, what would you say to your mentee?
well I said bravo for his perseverance first, because he worked and did not waste his time on social networks. Then I would ask him about the relevance of his choices because on the one hand, working on the blog, and on the other, starting a web design training course is to advance on 2 different objectives and As the Russian proverb would say If you try and chase two rabbits, you will not catch either one.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
solid progress then! proud of you.

your answers and interaction so far are at about 11% of your capability. could i get your best 15% for the next 24 hrs? let's level up and raise our game!

Q: what are your next three specific actions to obtain your goal?

Rim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jan 27, 2020
France
solid progress then! proud of you.

your answers and interaction so far are at about 11% of your capability. could i get your best 15% for the next 24 hrs? let's level up and raise our game!

Q: what are your next three specific actions to obtain your goal?
many thanks,

1 ° complete the finalization of my article
2 ° finish summarizing 2 chapters of the book that I intend to summarize on youtube
3 ° write a relevant comment on a blog of my theme to increase the authority of my blog

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Spot on! Remember MJs CENTS formula and also the Ikigai principle -
Choose something that
You love
You're good at
People need
People will pay for
What are you top 3 practical skills?

Good luck
Just remember that you won't "love" it until you get good at it. The "love" it part is a natural result of success & expertise. Loving your work is an acquired taste -- gained through sweat, tears, and frustration. Anything less than a steep learning curve is a fleeting moment. It has a too low of an entry threshold -- anyone can do it. Naturally, they will crowd out the profit margin and/or cash flow in that space. If you find yourself there, re-adjust your glasses. Figure out how that skill can be a necessary step to the next level of expertise. Don't scrap what you are doing. Just use it as a steppingstone.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
So here, under the recommendations of @Fox whom I thank very much, I open this topic and I take action. Like everyone here, my dearest wish is to be financially free, I read books, followed training, some that I have not finished, but in the end I still do not live on what I earn, so I say to myself: could having a mentor help me?
Welcome.

Who have you helped this week?

Who will you help next week?

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that business is simple:

Start. Sell. Scale.

It's difficult because we don't keep it simple.

@KushShah9492 already linked to the podcast/chat I always link people to when they're tangled up at the start.

Here it is again:
Have you listened to that yet? If you have, what's your takeaways?

Rim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jan 27, 2020
France
Welcome.

Who have you helped this week?

Who will you help next week?

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that business is simple:

Start. Sell. Scale.

It's difficult because we don't keep it simple.

@KushShah9492 already linked to the podcast/chat I always link people to when they're tangled up at the start.

Here it is again:
Have you listened to that yet? If you have, what's your takeaways?
thanks for the podcast
does helping my family at home matter?
Otherwise I helped a person edit a blog post, in fact with this question I realize that I have to keep a diary with the people I am helping because I cannot remember (I am helping the others on the internet) otherwise I remember that a person asked me for help by email on a subject I will answer him

oh yes and I helped several people who wanted voiceovers for their clients

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
many thanks,

1 ° complete the finalization of my article
2 ° finish summarizing 2 chapters of the book that I intend to summarize on youtube
3 ° write a relevant comment on a blog of my theme to increase the authority of my blog
following thread, good "luck!"

These goals do sound like work, but are these the most direct tasks to get a client/sale? That improvement is the fastest way to get results for your work... and motivation.

Rim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jan 27, 2020
France
following thread, good "luck!"

These goals do sound like work, but are these the most direct tasks to get a client/sale? That improvement is the fastest way to get results for your work... and motivation.
many thanks, you are right, these actions you most likely will help me to have clients in the future but not in the immediate future, moreover, to have clients in the theme of my blog now and well I do not find that realistic because I don't find me competent to sell anything, help share advice yes but something comes up i can't visualize it

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Hey @Rim

One good proven way to get going - pick a skill (web design, copywriting, seo etc) and get out their and start helping real businesses.

It’s not millions but it’s a good place to start.
@Rim this could be a clue for your next step

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
At this point in my life, I'm very picky about who I help. They must be helping themselves before I put in my time to mentor them. But, that wasn't always so. I found, when I was newbie, I gave away a lot work in exchange for the learning experience. I did a lot of horse trading -- I'll do this for you IF you do that for me. Yes, sometimes I got burned. BUT, I really learned a lot in the process. And I have made life-long friends. I now still horse trade a lot for many things. One rule to game is offer to do for the other guy first. How do know what to offer them? I listen to them and I ask questions. I listen with my whole heart.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
At this point in my life, I'm very picky about who I help. They must be helping themselves before I put in my time to mentor them
“Help the people in motion.”
- Any Hoy

Be in motion.

Rim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jan 27, 2020
France
At this point in my life, I'm very picky about who I help. They must be helping themselves before I put in my time to mentor them. But, that wasn't always so. I found, when I was newbie, I gave away a lot work in exchange for the learning experience. I did a lot of horse trading -- I'll do this for you IF you do that for me. Yes, sometimes I got burned. BUT, I really learned a lot in the process. And I have made life-long friends. I now still horse trade a lot for many things. One rule to game is offer to do for the other guy first. How do know what to offer them? I listen to them and I ask questions. I listen with my whole heart.
of course, the exchange of service, why haven't I thought about it, it is with pleasure that I can help you, tell me how I can help you

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
yes but which one?
Well, something like:
- Pick a skill
- Create a (simple) profile around that skill
- Find clients, either on freelance websites, directories (e.g.,Clutch, Capterra), or pitching their websites.

Something like @Lex DeVille shows here

What works for me as a marketing writing is Upwork. I look for:
- Someone who knows what they want
- Can afford it/ have an established business already
- Have their contact information

You can then use that contact data to reach out on email or phone. And because they're looking for people like you, the pitch converts better.

Step one is picking a skill. The best skill to sell value (and not work hours) is probably web design.

Rim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jan 27, 2020
France
Well, something like:
- Pick a skill
- Create a (simple) profile around that skill
- Find clients, either on freelance websites, directories (e.g.,Clutch, Capterra), or pitching their websites.

Something like @Lex DeVille shows here

What works for me as a marketing writing is Upwork. I look for:
- Someone who knows what they want
- Can afford it/ have an established business already
- Have their contact information

You can then use that contact data to reach out on email or phone. And because they're looking for people like you, the pitch converts better.

Step one is picking a skill. The best skill to sell value (and not work hours) is probably web design.
thank you for taking your time to help me, I am taking note of your advice

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
of course, the exchange of service, why haven't I thought about it, it is with pleasure that I can help you, tell me how I can help you
Instead you might try asking something like:
What is their worst "sticking point" in their business?
How did they start?
What is the most interesting part of their business?
What would they change IF they could start their business again?
What part have they grown to love?
What keeps them up at night?
And on and on... one open ended question after another... one question leads to another...

If you can get them talking about themselves, it's their favorite subject. And that's how you figure out what you can trade with them.

Or just ask if you can follow them around and be their "Girl/Guy Friday" for free. Be their extra set of hands. Think of all you can learn from being at their elbow for a time. That gives you a chance to figure out how they think and how they approach a problem. And you can ask more questions as they come up. I'd sure rather find out how successful people think and approach problems rather than trying to re-invent the wheel.

Rim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jan 27, 2020
France
Instead you might try asking something like:
What is their worst "sticking point" in their business?
How did they start?
What is the most interesting part of their business?
What would they change IF they could start their business again?
What part have they grown to love?
What keeps them up at night?
And on and on... one open ended question after another... one question leads to another...

If you can get them talking about themselves, it's their favorite subject. And that's how you figure out what you can trade with them.

Or just ask if you can follow them around and be their "Girl/Guy Friday" for free. Be their extra set of hands. Think of all you can learn from being at their elbow for a time. That gives you a chance to figure out how they think and how they approach a problem. And you can ask more questions as they come up. I'd sure rather find out how successful people think and approach problems rather than trying to re-invent the wheel.
thank you very much, i see it differently now,

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain