The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My story so far

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Two things I noticed:

1) When you click on any of the tabs on top, the "Older Entries" button is next to the title. I think it should be separate more -- perhaps on another line.

Got it. I noticed that too but I couldn't figure it out first but now I got it.

2) When you linked to the people you thanked, the links opened up in the same window. I don't know if all of the links do that, but you should probably get them to open up in separate windows/tabs so that you keep your page open to viewers for a longer period of time.

That's no biggy. That post won't be that popular.

Just a general thing, too (hope you don't mind correcting grammar): When you have two thoughts that can stand on their own as complete sentences, they can only be separated by either a semicolon or a comma followed by a conjunction. I guess a dash (--) can work, too. Hope this doesn't sound condescending -- just trying to help. :notworthy:

No problem. It's constructive criticism. Was there something in specific you think I should change?

Good luck! You've done a helluva job so far. Keep it up, Andrew!

Thanks!!!

P.S. I gave you rep+++ before. Well deserved! How's the revenue coming along on the site if you don't mind me asking? Anything substantial from the ads?

Noting substantial yet, but it's sure paying for hosting and this new design.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
No problem. It's constructive criticism. Was there something in specific you think I should change?
I'll post a few:
I appreciate all the help you’ve given me, thanks to the four of you Lyved is ready for a big future.
I think that should be separated by a semicolon or a period.
But get ready for what’s next, it’s going to be very bright and exciting!
Same kinda thing.

Disclaimer: You might want to check with someone who's an English Major. The writing section was by far my worst on both my SAT and ACT. :(

Keep up the great work!

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks. Edited them.

Also, I have a question for everyone. Is a favicon appearing in your browser? It is in IE for me but not FF.

-Thanks

marknels

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jun 12, 2008
Your passion for being an entrepreneur will take you a long way. I'm sure you have heard this but most of the successful people fail at many things. They just learn and keep on going.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Your passion for being an entrepreneur will take you a long way. I'm sure you have heard this but most of the successful people fail at many things. They just learn and keep on going.

Thanks! Yes, you have to fail to succeed.

-Andrew

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
Speed+ Andrew,

I love how you stumbled onto the surface of the best Web Marketing programs. Getting articles of good information is one of the critical steps to great Web Marketing. The revenue model might have been developed better before the marketing, but I see you were merely trying to help others through your articles. Bravo, man.

If you really want to start monetizing on your efforts, you might try to build a few websites selling products or services related to your blog theme and link to specially designed landing pages right from keywords in the articles. What ever you do I don't recommend selling straight from your blog. You might lose critical credibility.

Can't wait for the next update.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Can't wait for the next update.

Thanks for reading this thread and replying! And thank you for checking out my site. I'll definitely consider your advice.

And yes please stay tuned for the next update. I might have something REALLY big to share. It will certainly take Lyved to the next level.

-Andrew

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
Hey Andrew,

I just read this thread for the first time and it was excellent. I feel bad about the facebook app but it looks like you rebounded nicely.

I have a hosting account with 1&1 and it comes with blog templates but they don't look nearly as nice as yours. Your layout doesn't really come off as a blog and I like that. Would you recommend a host company that offers something similar?

I've been inspired by talking to servicefly and from reading your story that a blog is a great way to build a customer following before I launch my ultimate fastlane business in the music industry. Keep us updated!

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
"I just read this thread for the first time and it was excellent. I feel bad about the facebook app but it looks like you rebounded nicely."

Don't feel bad! It was the best thing to ever happen to me.

"I have a hosting account with 1&1 and it comes with blog templates but they don't look nearly as nice as yours. Your layout doesn't really come off as a blog and I like that. Would you recommend a host company that offers something similar? "

I had a custom design created. It wasn't a default template from my hosting company, which is media temple.

Good luck with your blog!

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Hey fastlaners,

I hope everyone and their families are happy, healthy, and succeeding more than ever. I don’t post on this site as much as I used to, but I stop by everyday and check out what everyone is saying. All of the people on this board are simply amazing! I’ve been to numerous forums over the years and many are filled with spammers and people that don’t give thoughtful advice like all of you.

Anyway, I just wanted to share something really interesting and important.
I think I’ve had a big epiphany over the last few months, but I’ve finally hit the tipping point and won’t return to what I thought about in the past. I’m officially no longer in the pursuit of millions of dollars for the purpose of buying the things my heart desires. No Lamborghini Murcielago, no Hummer, no 30,000 sq foot mansion, no rolls-royce, no yacht, private island, or any other extravagance like that. I find all of it completely unnecessary. I wouldn’t feel right driving around in a $500,000 car when that money could go to something so much better; like building a school, helping a town hit by a disaster, feeding starving children, or something else that impacts the lives of thousands or millions of people.

I know that Lyved and the other projects I’m going to undertake in the coming years will earn millions of dollars, but I’m going to donate a huge majority of it or invest it in social entrepreneurs and projects. Now my family and I aren’t going to live in poverty. I will certainly buy a nice house, perhaps a vacation home, a few nice cars for myself and my family members; and we’ll travel when we desire. None of it will get me on Cribs or on The Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, but what I do will get me written about in the history books. You don’t see people in textbooks for owning expensive cars, you read about people who make a huge difference in the world. I rather leave behind a legacy than a Lamborghini.

I don’t want people to think I’m losing motivation or giving up. That’s NOT the case at all. I feel like I’m now more focused and driven than ever before. My goal was to always help the world, but now it’s my sole purpose.

You’re free to do whatever you want with your money, because you’ve earned it, but I feel a lot of people are in the position to do so much more for others than they are. So I just wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I appreciate it.

-Andrew

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Hey fastlaners,
I don’t want people to think I’m losing motivation or giving up. That’s NOT the case at all. I feel like I’m now more focused and driven than ever before. My goal was to always help the world, but now it’s my sole purpose.

-Andrew

Andrew:

I am with you. Money can't buy everything.

That's why I spent a lot of time and money balance my life between making money, enjoy life and charity works. I feel exciting when I bought new toys, but got bored few days or weeks later. So I started looking for new toys. I don't really feel happy with my new toys.

I feel happier every time I sent foods to homeless and help poor kids to get milk and cakes. I saw their smiles on their faces, that makes me feel great and happy.

Making more money is not just to make our life easier, it also makes other people's life easier. If you know how to keep your cash flow positive, you will feel rich. It doesn't matter how much money you make.

If I didn't donate my time and money to charity, I guess I have some nice cars already, but so what?

Good luck to your journey. Keep up the good spirit!

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Hey Terence,

This is exactly the way I think I would feel after buying expensive cars:

I feel exciting when I bought new toys, but got bored few days or weeks later. So I started looking for new toys. I don't really feel happy with my new toys.

I hear so many wealthy people like Chris Gardner; who lose interest and excitement not long after buying a Ferrari or something else.

I think when you're wealthy, you're obligated to do something good with it. Andrew Carnegie believed in this.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hey fastlaners,

I hope everyone and their families are happy, healthy, and succeeding more than ever. I don’t post on this site as much as I used to, but I stop by everyday and check out what everyone is saying. All of the people on this board are simply amazing! I’ve been to numerous forums over the years and many are filled with spammers and people that don’t give thoughtful advice like all of you.

Anyway, I just wanted to share something really interesting and important.
I think I’ve had a big epiphany over the last few months, but I’ve finally hit the tipping point and won’t return to what I thought about in the past. I’m officially no longer in the pursuit of millions of dollars for the purpose of buying the things my heart desires. No Lamborghini Murcielago, no Hummer, no 30,000 sq foot mansion, no rolls-royce, no yacht, private island, or any other extravagance like that. I find all of it completely unnecessary. I wouldn’t feel right driving around in a $500,000 car when that money could go to something so much better; like building a school, helping a town hit by a disaster, feeding starving children, or something else that impacts the lives of thousands or millions of people.

I know that Lyved and the other projects I’m going to undertake in the coming years will earn millions of dollars, but I’m going to donate a huge majority of it or invest it in social entrepreneurs and projects. Now my family and I aren’t going to live in poverty. I will certainly buy a nice house, perhaps a vacation home, a few nice cars for myself and my family members; and we’ll travel when we desire. None of it will get me on Cribs or on The Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, but what I do will get me written about in the history books. You don’t see people in textbooks for owning expensive cars, you read about people who make a huge difference in the world. I rather leave behind a legacy than a Lamborghini.

You’re free to do whatever you want with your money, because you’ve earned it, but I feel a lot of people are in the position to do so much more for others than they are. So I just wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I appreciate it.

-Andrew

That is a very mature perspective. Usually, after you've owned the cars and the houses you get to this point of realization ... stuff doesn't make one happy, nor does money. I found my happiness in making an impact ... making a difference.

I've also just started to limit my stuff as I realized that the more stuff I have, the more problems they create.

Have you read "Your Money or Your Life?" It's in the book club readings and takes on an approach of less is better.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
I've also just started to limit my stuff as I realized that the more stuff I have, the more problems they create.

That's great MJ! It's nice to treat yourself but there does have to be a limit.

I think what really has helped me change my view was my blog readers. I've received a lot of messages from people telling me how much I've changed their lives. Each time I get one, it just blows my mind. There's no thrill and satisfaction like it.

I'm really happy I've realized this so early in my life. It's going to provide me clarity and focus for the many years to come.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
As with all things in life, balance is where you find your happiness....

I have similar viewpoints, as for the end goals of my success some of them are: the Carrera-GT in my avatar, traveling to every continent(and seeing ALL the major cities of Europe), owning ONE Rolex(a submariner at that, no "bling" for me) as well as fulfilling the dreams of my fiance and the family we will soon create.

When it comes to the luxuries in life, while I don't own a Murci like MJ, I do have a pretty nice car for someone my age(91 3000GT VR4) and will say that the excitement comes and goes, right now I am back to my giddy "schoolboy" phase in making plans for modding/fixing it up, but to me cars are a hobby and not just a luxury. It's something that I've had a passion for since I was 9. To most, the "thrill" of owning a Ferrari is just that, a thrill and as such it fades in time, for me though, I would not only want to own a Ferrari, but tear the thing apart and rebuild it for fun :cool:

On the other hand I am a HUGE sports fan and even just a few months ago having lifetime season tickets to the Cubs would've been a dream, but now I've put that into perspective and realized that I'd much rather PLAY sports to the best of my ability and although I'll never play for the Cubs, I do play in an adult hardball league and it fuels that hobby and desire.

Through it all, I do feel that helping others is the best way to fulfill yourself, but you do have to reap the rewards of your success as well. Seeing as Andrew Carnegie is your idol, remember his famous motto of "Live Rich, Die Penniless" it meant just that, while he ultimately gave his wealth for his legacy he still lived a very extravagant and fulfilling life and deservedly so! Another great saying that I learned a few years back that falls in the same category is: "the best way to learn is to teach others" which is true b/c it helps you learn more about yourself when you help enlighten others.

As far as finding a group to help I really would like to take after Keith Cameron Smith and help empower the working class and let those who came from the same middle class/working for comfort background that I did, that you can achieve the freedom of wealth and don't have to live a life of 9-5 to pay the bills and have just a taste of what life should be- FUN and FULFILLING!

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks for the input Clint on this thread and the other!

I'm definitely not going to live in poverty or drive around in a beat up car, and I will certainly be happy and have a lot of fun. (I already am)

But I think my viewpoint is different because all my pursuits now and forever are going to have a social purpose. To better lives and the world. So I wouldn't feel right living in a mansion and driving a Ferrari.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to share a link to an interview I did for Entrepreneur.com: Entrepreneur.com Daily Dose

I'm moving closer to hitting the mainstream media. A few more stairs to climb. :)

If you could leave a comment or stumble the article I would appreciate it very much!

Thanks fastlaners,

Andrew

sthompson01

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 24, 2008
What you have found out in your first year of high school, I have just discovered after college. Your ahead of the pack.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
What you have found out in your first year of high school, I have just discovered after college. Your ahead of the pack.

Hey, it's never too late.

You can't regret the past. Everything happens for a reason.

-Andrew

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know that Lyved is officially one year old! :) Thanks for all the help you've given me.

I compiled a list of the most popular posts and some notable links and press the site has received. If you're interested please check it out:

Lyved’s 1 year anniversary! | Lyved

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.