The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My story so far

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
The facebook platform allows anyone to create an application to work within the website. I think theres about 10,000 applications available. Check out this if you're really interested: http://developers.facebook.com/

Update: 433 installs

-Andrew

dhuang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 16, 2007
Viral is the keyword. Great work Andrew!

I'm going to be dumping a lot of time this Christmas to build my latest computer, and get straight to coding my Facebook App!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Just wanted to let everyone know that we updated Super Inbox. Now we have a much easier editor to user. Check it out here

Update: 634 installs in a week. Not bad at all.

-Andrew

rico

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Aug 14, 2007
Buckinghamshire, UK
Just wanted to let everyone know that we updated Super Inbox. Now we have a much easier editor to user. Check it out here

Update: 634 installs in a week. Not bad at all.

-Andrew

Thats excellent! Nice work.

Do you know how that compares with other applications?

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Now it's at 832 installs. Compared to other apps it's not amazing but most have been out longer and have spent money on advertising. Our growth is all viral.

Here's some of the most popular applications:

Super Wall: 19.5 million installs - has been around since the platform started and run by large company.
Top friends: 23.4 million installs - " "
FunWall: 18.1 million installs - " "
Free Gifts: 7.9 millions installs - been around since beginning but run by one developer
Graffiti: 9 million installs - been around since beginning run by 3 developers.

rico

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Aug 14, 2007
Buckinghamshire, UK
Cool. It would be interesting to see graphs of time vs installs for some of the other applications.

Are you planning on releasing other applications? Or concentrate purely on Super Inbox and develop it over time?

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Probably just concentrate on Super Inbox. I've thought of many ideas and this one is the first that hasn't been created yet and has the most potential.

If you'd like to check out some graphs on facebook apps visit Adonomics.com it's a great site. They have all different charts for thousands of facebook apps.

-Andrew

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Well, things were going good with the app we had about 925 installs in 2 weeks. But disaster struck. Someone hacked into the server that the application was hosted on and deleted everything. So the application no longer exists and it probably won't be coming back.

I'm a little depressed right now and not sure where to go from here. I know everything happens for a reason but it's still hard.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Oh no! I am sorry to hear that.

You know... I have noticed a trend.

Often times, a bad situation or setback occurs JUST BEFORE a HUGE breakthrough and launch forward.

You have a choice... quit - or push through the tough time. It could be the resistance just before a big move.

Don't say, "it can't come back" - say "how can it come back?"

And... lessons learned?

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. The reason that I say it can't come back is because the programmer/business partner I was working with said it would be too hard. I don't blame him because he'd have to restructure everything, create new databases, all while he's working part time, going to school, and doing some freelance stuff. But he's a great guy, great programmer, and still interested if launching other ideas. So I just need to think of another idea for an application.

But I've learned a lot about facebook and it's users.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
If it were me....

I would agree to look for something new with biz. partner...

then get a new programmer/partner for this one.

You had impressive response in a short period of time. There is obviously a demand.

In my old business... a received bad news or a setback - and even considered quitting about 3 times over a period of 7 years. Each time - I decided not to quit - and saw explosive growth just after that decision not to quit.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I agree. There's definitely a demand for this. One thing I don't understand is why doesn't he want to try and salvage this idea but he's willing to try a new one?

Sorry about this by the way...you had a great idea and I really think it would've been something good for you. However, it's just another learning experience. Live and learn...

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
It's very difficult to restructure an application when it was coded specifically using the databases and technology he was/is using. It was a learning experience and I'm not giving up.

dhuang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 16, 2007
I'm sure your hosting company could provide backups.

What about the coding application you and your developer use? I'm sure there's some local content somewhere.

But if you have expired all your options, just remember that this is one of the minor roadblocks to the fastlane. I know some people that would have a meltdown if they were in your position. Look forward to tomorrow, because it's going to be brighter than today.

Best of luck with whatever you stir up next!

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks for everyone's support. I feel that another great idea will be coming soon. I just need a simple but brilliant idea.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm afraid I don't understand why you need to start over in a new direction ... wasn't there a copy of the application locally?

It seems like there was plenty of interest in the application. It looks to me you are in the red zone, close to scoring a touchdown and bam, decide to take a knee and go home.

For those of us involved in IT, we don't understand how an entire application is suddenly missing. I was really looking forward to having this story unfold.

Analyzer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Aug 31, 2007
Portugal, Europe
Agreed, you've done it once so you are sure that it is possible and that there's demand for it.

I can imagine how frustrating it must be but this is when perseverance will make the difference. Over 800 people using it on such a short period seems a clear indication you should go for it.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Exactly...

One indicator of success is the language you use.

"I can't" verses "How Can I?"

You and your partner need to change your language.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Also, now that you have the experience under your belt, you can fix this little "mistakes" from the first time around and get it going even better than before...

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Trust me, I'd love to bring it back! He has all the php code but he thinks it's too hard to start over. I'm going to talk to him some more and get more information out of him.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Trust me, I'd love to bring it back! He has all the php code but he thinks it's too hard to start over. I'm going to talk to him some more and get more information out of him.

No one ever said success was "easy" -- if it was, everyone would be rich. This mindset is a problem. "Hard" is a precursor to success so to be blunt, get on his a$$!:coco:

rico

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Aug 14, 2007
Buckinghamshire, UK
Betcha whoever did this was jealous of the application! Maybe a competitor or similar? Whatever, thats a huge compliment to your business. I'd definitely find the code and relaunch it. tighten up the security and come back bigger and better!!!!

Good luck :D

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Well I have learned a little more about what happened with Super Inbox. No one hacked into the server, the server simply crashed. My business partner in the application failed to tell me this. I wanted to relaunch the application but he is too lazy and doesn't feel like configuring the code to work with a new database.

So I have moved away from laziness like that and decided to strike out on my own again. I decided to create a blog where I can empower people and myself at the same time. My blog is called Lyved. I was having trouble coming up with a name that was short and that related to the blog. I came up with a new way to spell lived. Lyved will cover many topics about life, business, entrepreneurs, goals, dreams, inspiration, motivation, determination, life stories, and more. This blog is for those who want to change their lives and get the most out of it.

So please visit Lyved.com and read some of the articles I have posted. I just launched on Decemeber 31st so there isn't much content yet. If anyone is interested in exchanging links please let me know here: life{at}lyved{dot}.com

Thanks for all your support!

Andrew

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Well I have learned a little more about what happened with Super Inbox. No one hacked into the server, the server simply crashed. My business partner in the application failed to tell me this. I wanted to relaunch the application but he is too lazy and doesn't feel like configuring the code to work with a new database.

So I have moved away from laziness like that and decided to strike out on my own again. I decided to create a blog where I can empower people and myself at the same time. My blog is called Lyved. I was having trouble coming up with a name that was short and that related to the blog. I came up with a new way to spell lived. Lyved will cover many topics about life, business, entrepreneurs, goals, dreams, inspiration, motivation, determination, life stories, and more. This blog is for those who want to change their lives and get the most out of it.

So please visit Lyved.com and read some of the articles I have posted. I just launched on Decemeber 31st so there isn't much content yet. If anyone is interested in exchanging links please let me know here: life{at}lyved{dot}.com

Thanks for all your support!

Andrew
First of all, you definitely deserve some rep points for not giving up after all you've gone through. Secondly, just bookmarked it! :) Can never have enough reading material! Good luck with it! Looks like you have some great content on there, and I look forward to following it. Keep up the hard work and determination!

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks Yankees. I'm definitely not giving up! Usually when a business venture of mine fails I fall into a depressive sort of state. But this time was totally different, I just dusted myself off and within days I was working on Lyved.com.

dhuang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 16, 2007
Thanks Yankees. I'm definitely not giving up! Usually when a business venture of mine fails I fall into a depressive sort of state. But this time was totally different, I just dusted myself off and within days I was working on Lyved.com.

Consider me subscribed!

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks! I really appreciate it. My content and writing style will continue to improve so stay tuned.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.