The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My story so far

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Poudda

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Sep 7, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Very nice site. I like how positive it is. Couple ideas for thought:

Play on the "y" ie: "y-not?" "y-this site?" "y-are we here?" things like that:

Not sure about the spelling of Launched - launced?

Anyways. Like very much. keep it up! nice to see you being creative and applying your imagination.

Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Very nice site. I like how positive it is. Couple ideas for thought:

Play on the "y" ie: "y-not?" "y-this site?" "y-are we here?" things like that:

Not sure about the spelling of Launched - launced?

Anyways. Like very much. keep it up! nice to see you being creative and applying your imagination.

Cheers!

Oops, yeah that was a typo. Thanks. As for the "Y" aspect, I was trying to think of something like you mention. I'll have to keep brainstorming on that.

-Andrew

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Good stuff! Love the domain name ... nice, short, and very brandable!!

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
It took me about 2 weeks and hundreds of ideas but I'm VERY happy with Lyved. I'm glad you said it was brandable because that was my main goal. I didn't want to limit myself to just a blog.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It took me about 2 weeks and hundreds of ideas but I'm VERY happy with Lyved. I'm glad you said it was brandable because that was my main goal. I didn't want to limit myself to just a blog.

In that branding process, I would suggest to make the "Y" in Lyved very special. Make it mean something. The "Y" is what differentiates your site from "Lived" so market and focus on the "Y" in your slogan and logo.

For example,

"Because YOU want more from life"

or

"Because its not the HOW, its the WHY."

or

"Say Yes to Life"

And in your logo, make the Y different. Larger, a different color, anything to set it apart from the rest of the site. You want visitors to remember "Lyved!" not Lived.

HEre is an example I threw together in 2 minutes:
View attachment 360

These are just some simple branding ideas.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Yeah I'll have to emphasize the Y just like you and Poudda said.

Thanks

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
See above logo ... easier to show than to tell.:tiphat:

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
How about something like?:

logo2-2.gif

I'm not sure about what my slogan would be though.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
BIG UPDATE: I'm sure some of you know of John Chow, he runs a VERY profitable blog that has hundreds of thousands of readers a month. Well I emailed him the other day about a possible guest post on his blog and I hadn't heard back from him till today and he added my post to his blog! John is very picky about what he adds to his blog so this is very difficult, I've tried dozens of times to get on his site over the past year, but I never gave up. This could bring me a huge amount of traffic and new readers. You can check out the post here: http://www.johnchow.com/the-greatest-things-about-life/, please leave some comments and vote on it if you can.

-Andrew

PS I let everyone know about the traffic later tonight.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
As of a few minutes ago I received 63 visitors directly from JohnChow.com. It's not as many as I thought but I think it's because I'm not offering a product or service so most people are interested in visiting my site. However, I am VERY thrilled that I was accepted as a guest blogger on one of the top blogs on the internet.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Update: Well I published a new article yesterday called 20 Ways to Change the World. I had the post submitted to Digg. At first it got a good amount of votes, then it slowed down, but it came back with many more votes and was promoted to the homepage of Digg! With over 480 votes! I received about 560 visitors from digg as of a few minutes ago. You can check out the link on digg here. I have received a lot of negative comments both on Digg and my own blog but I'm not letting it get to me. Here's the original link, have a look at some of the crazy comments but also the positive ones. At this same time my article also got stumbled! Stumble Upon is sort of like Digg. I received another 520 visitors from there. Check out the stumble here. So the past day I've had 1,175 unique visitors to Lyved. Obviously the traffic will die down A LOT tomorrow but I'm very happy that my articles are being well received by most people.

-Andrew

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Update: Well I published a new article yesterday called 20 Ways to Change the World. I had the post submitted to Digg. At first it got a good amount of votes, then it slowed down, but it came back with many more votes and was promoted to the homepage of Digg! With over 480 votes! I received about 560 visitors from digg as of a few minutes ago. You can check out the link on digg here. I have received a lot of negative comments both on Digg and my own blog but I'm not letting it get to me. Here's the original link, have a look at some of the crazy comments but also the positive ones. At this same time my article also got stumbled! Stumble Upon is sort of like Digg. I received another 520 visitors from there. Check out the stumble here. So the past day I've had 1,175 unique visitors to Lyved. Obviously the traffic will die down A LOT tomorrow but I'm very happy that my articles are being well received by most people.

-Andrew
That's very impressive! I've been checking up, but I haven't been able to read every post. I did have a chance to comment on one of the posts, though, and I believe it was the first comment you received. :) Keep up the great work! It looks like it's starting to pay off already!

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Wow! Just checked my stats again for the latest update, the numbers have changed. I received 6,223 visitors from Digg and many visitors from other social news sites. Which brings my total so far to 7,223 uniques visitors!

Thanks Yankees. Yeah I did see your comment about the "Cabs to Riches" story. I think you were my first official comment.

dhuang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 16, 2007
Hey Andrew,

The video card in my new computer just died out, so I couldn't get around to reading your most recent posts, until I finally pulled out my laptop today... and WOW. Talk about loads of traffic in almost no time.

John Chow, Digg, and SU? Amazing stuff!

Congrats man, you certainly know how to generate tons of VIRAL traffic.

Btw, those Digg users can be serious pricks! :smxB:

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks dhuang. Yeah you wouldn't believe some of the comments they left. They're actually kind of funny.

Update: The official number of unique visitors for yesterday was 13,427!

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Wow Andrew, congrats!

It seems like everything you do can turn into something cool!

Cheers

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
No problem, YOU made your day, I was just pointing that out :thumbsup:

fastword

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 2, 2008
Interesting story to follow!

I'm curious to ask you about traffic you are getting but how can you make money from them???

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Eventually I will implement ads to earn money from Lyved. Right now I'm just focused on creating content and getting readers.

-Andrew

dhuang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 16, 2007
Andrew, It's great the approach you're taking.

By building traffic through quality posts, instead of focusing on just monetizing your site, will be TONS better down the road.

Seems like you have a great readership going on, and looks like you're having a LOT of fun with Lyved!

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
I'm implementing some ad spots now, but it's still not my main focus. And yes I'm having a lot of fun. This is the first venture where I'm having fun, learning, teaching, and lucky enough to have instant success. I hope I can stick with it. That was my biggest problem in the past, abandoning one idea and jumping to another too quickly.

-Andrew

CactusWren

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jan 5, 2008
Arizona
Wow! I'm super impressed. Great going. I just read the whole thread and what a great ride. It can only get better, you are an inspiration. Whenever you are ready for advertising be sure to let us all know...

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Hey, thanks for your support and compliments. I just sent you a PM.

I figure since it's been two weeks since I launched Lyved, I'll give an update. From January 1 - 16 (this morning) I have received 50,047 unique visitors and 71,864 pageviews. The traffic has come from Digg, Del.icio.us, Stumble Upon, and almost 400 other websites.

I haven't made much money yet from ads, just a few dollars but that will come in time. So stay tuned this can only get more interesting from here.

-Andrew

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Hey, thanks for your support and compliments. I just sent you a PM.

I figure since it's been two weeks since I launched Lyved, I'll give an update. From January 1 - 16 (this morning) I have received 50,047 unique visitors and 71,864 pageviews. The traffic has come from Digg, Del.icio.us, Stumble Upon, and almost 400 other websites.

I haven't made much money yet from ads, just a few dollars but that will come in time. So stay tuned this can only get more interesting from here.

-Andrew
Wow, that's extremely impressive. Keep on goin' dude...how long have the ads been implemented? Does it usually take time to monetize them or something?

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Yeah it'll take some time before the ads become more relevant and I sell ad spots myself. So I have to give it time, it's only been a few days since I added them.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
UPDATE

Since it has been a month since I launched Lyved, I wanted to give everyone and update on what happened during that month.

Week 1 - The first week was pretty slow, I had about a max of 200 visitors on one day.
Week 2 - This is when things got interesting. One of my articles was dugg and made it to the homepage, then it was stumbled, and then added to delicious. That helped me bring over 13,000 visitors in one day
Week 3 - A different article was added to stumble upon and delicious. The article made it to the delicious homepage and was stumbled by numerous people helping me bring over 17,000 visitors in one day.
Week 4 - Traffic slowed a little. But nothing under about 2,000 uniques a day.

So here are the totals for Lyved's first month:
123,502 unique visitors
199,812 page views
135,124 visits

I am very amazed by these numbers and very excited about the future. I'd like to thank everyone here for the support and for reading Lyved.

-Andrew

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.