The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My story so far

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Hello,

My name is Andrew and I've been a member of Fastlane since November 3rd, 2007. I actually stumbled upon this site and loved it immediately. I joined and enjoyed reading all the success stories and information. I wanted to wait until I became truly successful to share my story but I figured I'd write the first chapter and update my progress in a few months. So here it goes:

I was born into a pretty well off family but it quickly changed. By the time I was in kindergarten my mother and father had divorced. My mother, sister, and I were living in a big house all by ourselves. My father brought my mother to court to take the house away from her but ultimately his kids as well. We didn't have a roof over our heads but he didn't think about, he wanted to get back at my mother. So we had to move into my grandmother's house, thank god for her, she has been amazing. We had no car, money, really nothing, but we had each other and our family. My mother worked hard and found a place for us to live. It was very small, one bedroom, but we made it work.

For a few years, my sister and I stayed in contact with my father. We would visit him on the weekends since he lived close. One year my grandmother decided to take us on a trip to Disney World. We went and had a great trip. But when we got back my sister and I found out that my father took off yet again. This time it seemed to be for good, to another state. I was probably around 8 to 10 when this happened. For years he never contacted us, not by phone, no birthday cards, nothing. My sister and I decided we wanted nothing to do with him and about 5 years ago we decided we want nothing to do with his family.

Throughout elementary school into high school, my mother worked hard to put food on the table. With little help from my father via child support. We lived in that same one bedroom above-garage apartment for 12 years. But we managed to afford some nice things such as a computer and internet.

It was tough watching my mother come home after a hard day's work and still not have enough. So in my freshman year of high school I said to myself "That's it! I don't want my mother to live and work like this anymore. I want better for my family!" That's the day I pulled into the fastlane.

I wanted to become successful and help my mother. I was young and foolish and thought it was going to be easy since I was always a very creative person. I thought that I could sell my ideas. So I went out and did that. For about a year I designed and developed inventions while contacting hundreds of companies to see if they were interested.

Obvisiously I didn't have any luck with that. So I moved on to web based ventures. In my sophomore and junior years I started several sites: a search engine, music site, and some others. Some got a little bit of success but nothing made me any money. I was learning the best way there is. I knew I had to keep going and let nothing distract me. I gave up hanging out with friends, which was good because most high schoolers are up to no good. I read books, magazines, brainstormed, everything I could, anytime I could.

Then my senoir year, I created and launched my best venture yet. It was a bottled water business with a unique twist that never had been done before. I formed an LLC and was very serious about it. I create a website, found a bottling company to work with, and did lots of promotion. The response was great. I won a contest held by a business magazine and was feature in a bottled water industry magazine. But the company never took off and I didn't make any money.

Now I was in college and I was depressed. I didn't know where I was going to go next. I kept brainstorming and tried several more ideas. Nothing took off but I kept going and I still am today. Now, I'm 19 years old and I'm a sophomore in college. Currently I'm working with a business partner to create an application for Facebook. I found a void in Facebook and the applications. I came of with the idea and we are creating an app to fill that void. It has a very good chance of becoming extremely viral and one of the top apps on Facebook. We should be ready to launch in the next few weeks.

After hundreds and hundreds of ideas and attempts I hope this is the one that takes me to the next level. My family and I are out of the small apartment and things are getting better. But I still want to be able to provide more for her and allow her to relax for once without a care in the world.

So there's my story so far. I will update it in a couple of weeks or in a few months to describe my progress. I want to thank every member of Fastlane to Millions for creating and being a part of this great site.

- Andrew

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks! I try not to let my "failures" get me down. I learn more from them than I've learned in school.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Wow..very interesting read! It's amazing what you have done already. Even though you may find this odd (or not), you're an inspiration to me. With all of that enthusiasm and experience, you're bound to find success one day. Keep your head up, and I truly wish you the best! Good luck with the app! Let me know when it launches so I can add it! :)

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Wow thanks! No one has ever said anything like that to me. I'm honored.

I'll be glad to tell you the app when we launch.

-Andrew

encsteph

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 27, 2007
Southern New Jersey
Andrew,

Wow! Absolutely Amazing!

If I had been even half as dedicated and motivated as you are when I was 19 I would be a heck of alot further along then I am now.

Keep up the GREAT Work!

If there is anything a fellow New Jerseyite can ever do please don't hesitate to ask.

Eric

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You have a great story that is unfolding ... just don't forget to enjoy the journey, the learning processes, the successes, the failures. Despite that fact that you said "We didn't make any money at that" you have had success. Congrats on a multitude of factors: The drive, the motivation, and most important, the reason.

Keep us posted on your venture ... a Facebook app with the opportunity to go viral is definitely FASTLANE!:fastlane:

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks encsteph and PhxMJ.

Yeah I need to enjoy the journey more. I'm sometimes too focused and rushed on getting there.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I am continually amazed at what an exciting time we live in- and how many creative people there really are in the world. Good for you for going for your dreams time and again. ...Tony Robbins once said that there is no such thing as success or failure- only results. If you don't like the result you are getting, change the approach.

Keep up the great attitude! We're all here cheering you on! :hurray::smxG::hurray:

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
WOW, I'm your age, and believe me, what you've done so far is just AMAZING!!!, really, congrats, I hope you reach the level of success you want, and I have no doubt that one day we're gonna read other chapters of your success story.
Keep up the good work and good luck!

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Thank you again everyone. All of you have inspired me to keep going and to make this latest venture a success!

S928

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 7, 2007
Andrew, I greatly enjoyed reading your story. You're truly ahead of the ballgame.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Alright, I'm excited now. My partner and I have finished version 1.0 of our Facebook application. Our application is called Super Inbox. If you are familiar with facebook and it's application then you have heard of Super Wall. Super Inbox is similar to that. It allows users to message each other but with more advanced features such as embedded images and videos, different fonts and font colors.

If anyone has a facebook account please add Super Inbox:
http://apps.facebook.com/superinbox/ and I'd be more than happy if you would friend me: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=682454131

Thanks everyone! I'll keep you posted on the app's progress.

-Andrew

logo.gif

czach41

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Oct 11, 2007
Denver
Great story Andrew. I love your perseverance in the face of hardship! I do not mean to slam what you are doing the slightest bit; I am just ignorant to how people make profit off of facebook applications. Could you enlighten me please?

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
No problem. Facebook app developers can place advertisements within their application's pages. But not on a user's profile. They can sell services or products as well. And a few developers have been able to sell their applications. It's basically like any other internet business except it runs within facebook.com.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Looks like you got the app up and running ahead of schedule. Nicely done! Friended you btw.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Yeah, we worked a lot of long nights this past week. But its worth it. Thanks for friending.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
About 10 users so far. Not bad for only being live since around 2 o'clock.

This is very exciting ... please continue to update us!

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Sure will, there's about 15 users now. Does anyone else on the fastlane forums have a facebook account?

-Andrew

dhuang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 16, 2007
Hey Andrew, it seems that I'm in the same boat as you! I'm 19 and trying to launch my first FB application soon! Best of luck and be sure to drop me a line whenever!

Poudda

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Sep 7, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Well, I've added it to my facebook. Just need someone to send me a message and we'll see how she works! Sent friend request too. Good luck!

Dave

Jito

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Dec 2, 2007
Bay Area
You're definitely doing it man, I added the application too, so now all my friends get to see a notification alerting them to the fact I've added your app.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Super Inbox was accepted into the application directory which is important for being seen by users.

And as I type this we hit 106 users!

Poudda

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Sep 7, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Question - what kind of revenues do you get per person signed up. How many users do you need to make say $100 per month / $1000 per month? Just curious. Thanks.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Question - what kind of revenues do you get per person signed up. How many users do you need to make say $100 per month / $1000 per month? Just curious. Thanks.

The application is FREE. Once he gets enough users, he can leverage that into advertising space -- that space gets in front of Facebook users.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Well you can have any number of users and be able to display ads via adsense or similar programs. But you need a good amount of daily active users and good amount of page views.

FYI: 160 installs of Super Inbox as of right now.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.