The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My parents don't allow me to start my side hustle - What would you do if you were in my situation?

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
Here's the full context
I live with my parents in India. I am 15, in 10th grade. In my recent progress thread an user told me about starting to cold call small businesses, and offering them to make their website (that was my goal, but I was kind of procrastinating by saying 'I would do it after I have learnt enough web development, design etc.). I said that I would start from today...

But

I asked my parents about it. And it was a straight no. Like my mother got full angry on me, saying that I should be focused on my studies, why am I having these 'vile' ideas. Comparing me to my elder brother who used to study 12 hours a day (lol).

I saw a similar post here (THIS) , but the difference is that in my case, it was just a side hustle. It would require no uprfront investment. ALSO, I am good in studies. Like one of the top students I would say. AND I dont study much. I spent months researching how to study, so that I can save time by studying less and but learning more.

So in no way was I planning to 'ditch' my studies or anything. I would have put in the same effort but just do my side hustle in my free time.

You might ask why do I care just because my parents said no...

Heres the thing.

I am not allowed to have my bank account till I am 18. That means I would have to take my parents' bank account as a means of taking money (if i ever get clients, that is). But now, they have completely declined.

I have these options now-

1. Do it anyway without telling them (have to take my elder brothers' bank account details. But will he agree to give without telling my parents? He too is a scripted 'worker'.

2. Dont start side hustle, just keep on learning more and more web dev (till when? there's no end)

What would you have done?
I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
(not asking the forum to take my decision, just what their experience would lead them to do in this situation. Most probably I would have to choose option 2 from above, but please share your thoughts)

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

kr8nt

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Nov 24, 2022
Latvia
Here's the full context
I live with my parents in India. I am 15, in 10th grade. In my recent progress thread an user told me about starting to cold call small businesses, and offering them to make their website (that was my goal, but I was kind of procrastinating by saying 'I would do it after I have learnt enough web development, design etc.). I said that I would start from today...

But

I asked my parents about it. And it was a straight no. Like my mother got full angry on me, saying that I should be focused on my studies, why am I having these 'vile' ideas. Comparing me to my elder brother who used to study 12 hours a day (lol).

I saw a similar post here (THIS) , but the difference is that in my case, it was just a side hustle. It would require no uprfront investment. ALSO, I am good in studies. Like one of the top students I would say. AND I dont study much. I spent months researching how to study, so that I can save time by studying less and but learning more.

So in no way was I planning to 'ditch' my studies or anything. I would have put in the same effort but just do my side hustle in my free time.

Heres the thing.

I am not allowed to have my bank account till I am 18. That means I would have to take my parents' bank account as a means of taking money (if i ever get clients, that is). But now, they have completely declined.

1. Do it anyway without telling them (have to take my elder brothers' bank account details. But will he agree to give without telling my parents? He too is a scripted 'worker'.

2. Dont start side hustle, just keep on learning more and more web dev (till when? there's no end)

(not asking the forum to take my decision, just what their experience would lead them to do in this situation. Most probably I would have to choose option 2 from above, but please share your thoughts)

Thanks
Be smart about it, if you truly want to do this and it's your goal, then your job is to find a way to talk your parents into allowing you to do this. Don't give up so quickly, do you even really want this if you are ready to accept a single no and move on like you never even wanted to do this?

This is a new challenge that you have to overcome, a new goal that appeared unexpectedly right in front of the side hustle goal, so think about it this way - by achieving this goal of either getting your parents to say yes or finding a different way to this without them knowing and stopping you, the reward will be that you will be able to start your side hustle.

You know your parents the best, so find a way to tell them about this in a way that they will like and will let you do this. Most importantly, don't give up. Try telling them that you need this experience in order to get better at some new subject, or that maybe this is some sort of homework, figure it out.

There will be many unexpected challenges you will have to face along the way, so it's better to start learning not to give up so quickly while you are still at the beginning and the challenges are not that extreme.

hamzeri

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jan 2, 2024
India, Live in UK
I can relate to you, brown parents never understand this kind of stuff. They believe life as a teen should be spent studying endlessly and topping tests. In my situation, even pursuing fitness was seen as a waste of time.

Persuading them to let you do this will be very difficult. Doing it in secret seems like the only way to me, but maybe you can figure something else out.

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
This is a new challenge that you have to overcome, a new goal that appeared unexpectedly right in front of the side hustle goal, so think about it this way - by achieving this goal of either getting your parents to say yes or finding a different way to this without them knowing and stopping you, the reward will be that you will be able to start your side hustle.
Hmm thats right. I will have millions of rejections beyond this. Can't just quit now.
Try telling them that you need this experience in order to get better at some new subject, or that maybe this is some sort of homework, figure it out.
hmm that might work. not sure tho. I am going to be thinking of other ways.
There will be many unexpected challenges you will have to face along the way, so it's better to start learning not to give up so quickly while you are still at the beginning and the challenges are not that extreme.
Yep right. I took a really negative attitude towards the very first challenge that I got. Thanks for making me aware about it.

Will try to somehow persuade either my parents or my brother

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
I can relate to you, brown parents never understand this kind of stuff. They believe life as a teen should be spent studying endlessly and topping tests. In my situation, even pursuing fitness was seen as a waste of time.
lol ikr. Can't even do anything that doesnt correlate to getting better meaningless marks.
Persuading them to let you do this will be very difficult. Doing it in secret seems like the only way to me, but maybe you can figure something else out.
Yep will think about it.

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
Here's the full context

But

Heres the thing.

Thanks
UPDATE -

I have an exam coming in about 1.5 months. I tried to persuade my mom again. But this time she told me she would allow it after the exam. But I will have to perform good on the exam first. This is probably what I will do now. Just 'improve my skills' for another 1 month. I thought about doing it without them knowing, but I couldn't find anyway to handle the transactions. Any thoughts would be appreciated..

kr8nt

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Nov 24, 2022
Latvia
Don't worry about the problems you don't have yet, you'll figure them out on the fly.

There's still quite a long way for you to go before you get close to receiving money, so it shouldn't be in your head right now, now you should be thinking only about getting a client and you don't need to wait another month for that, start now.

The One

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Feb 25, 2023
UK
Just do it. I do mine without my parents knowing / not knowing. - it’s complicated. But, just being scared isn’t going to do anything. Just do it my bro. As our brown parents are very traditional - so Dw.

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
Talk to local businesses in person, get paid in cash.
Doable. will try.
There's still quite a long way for you to go before you get close to receiving money, so it shouldn't be in your head right now, now you should be thinking only about getting a client and you don't need to wait another month for that, start now.
Ah thats right. I am overthinking perhaps.
Just do it. I do mine without my parents knowing / not knowing. - it’s complicated. But, just being scared isn’t going to do anything. Just do it my bro. As our brown parents are very traditional - so Dw.
Yeh. I will have to do it anyway.

I will not be able to cold call these days but I can definitely cold email/whatsapp text.. Then perhaps make the site for free but take their testimonial. Whatever. First is getting the client. After that I shall decide the rest. Thanks for responding everyone.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Nov 21, 2016
Then:
1. Keep your grades up and ask them for their blessing on your side hustle as long as it doesn't negatively impact your grades. Tell them you will quit it immediately if your grades drop.
2. Keep your grades up and do the side hustle anyway.
3. Keep your grades up and study web development on the side. Don't defy your parents so you don't risk getting kicked out or something.

Personally, I would say option 1 is best, followed by choosing between option 2 or 3. Note that in all cases I suggest you keep your grades up (you said you're a strong student that barely studies so this should be easy) and option 2 could be risky. You're the only one on this forum that can properly evaluate the outcomes.

Don't fall into the trap of creating the false dichotomy of doing nothing or doing the best option. It's better to take the second best route than to go nowhere.

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
Don't fall into the trap of creating the false dichotomy of doing nothing or doing the best option. It's better to take the second best route than to go nowhere.
I needed to hear that. Thanks for bringing into light. Would definitely remember this 'quote'. Even though I would not be able to do things the most optimal/efficient way, doesn't mean I wont be able to do the things at all. Thanks.

btcx

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
367%
Oct 24, 2021
New York
You don't need a bank account to accept payments. This is just an excuse you're making. Here's some ways you can accept payments:

You can go and sell your website services in person, and accept cash payment. You could also accept cryptocurrency payment if you find a technologically savy enough business.

You could also make a PayPal account, and cash out easily enough. I haven't used PayPal for a few years now, but I did this and cashed out thousands into cash and cryptocurrencies.

If you are close with your brother, tell your clients to send the money to him. Your parents tune will change after you pull in a few hundred dollars or get a paying client or two and will probably make you a bank account to "safekeep" your earnings.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Here's the full context

But

Heres the thing.

Thanks
Maybe find a non family member that you trust that can set up the bank account for you. Kind of risky so make sure you trust them. Maybe a friend's parents?

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
You don't need a bank account to accept payments. This is just an excuse you're making. Here's some ways you can accept payments:

You can go and sell your website services in person, and accept cash payment. You could also accept cryptocurrency payment if you find a technologically savy enough business.

You could also make a PayPal account, and cash out easily enough. I haven't used PayPal for a few years now, but I did this and cashed out thousands into cash and cryptocurrencies.

If you are close with your brother, tell your clients to send the money to him. Your parents tune will change after you pull in a few hundred dollars or get a paying client or two and will probably make you a bank account to "safekeep" your earnings.
Crypto is another option.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.