The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Building a side hustle, building good habits and breaking bad ones (progress thread)

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
This is going to be a progress thread for anybody who's interested.
NOTE : It has nothing to do with 'new years resolution'. I have been maintaining a journal for quite some time now where I record my progress, just thought about posting a progress thread here for more accountability.

Here's the current problems in my life -
1. My screentime is high (around 2-3 hours per day of pure wasting my time watching youtube and mentally ma*turba*ing.
2. Lost my workout habit . Have to start doing it again. Improve my general health. diet as well.
3. Haven't started any business yet, despite having lots of ideas (well idk if its an excuse but the main problem is my lack of initial investment. Here I cant have my own bank account till I am 18, so I dont have any money of my 'own' and working as a teenager in this country is almost correlated to extreme poverty)

Values that I must develop -
Discipline, consistency, focused work

So heres my actionable plan for now-
1. master web dev (I have basic html, css , js and some other programming language knowledge like python,c++) so that I can start side hustling to make my own money first.
2. start cold calling small businesses in my area and offer them to make websites.
3. develop such strong focus that I dont have to study much to get the results I desire (I believe nothing wrong in getting into a good college where i will learn about something that is actually in demand - AI)
4. Start small in breaking bad habits and building good ones.

So in each consecutive reply to this thread, I will be giving the goals for the day as well as the progress done.

Thanks, if you have read so far. Appreciate you. Constructive criticisms are much welcome.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
DAY 1 GOALS AND RESULTS

• Keep screentime(here referring to the time I waste in my phone) under 1.5 hours - failed. Today it was around 3 hours.
  • Meditate and do breathing exercise for my asthma - done
  • Start exercising by doing a 30 minute workout - done
  • Revise one chapter for my upcoming test
  • Start to learn web dev again; build a clone of a simple website - done

Last edited:

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
DAY 2 GOALS AND RESULTS

1. Do at least 4 hours of focused studying
  2. Screentime under 1.5 hours (wasted screentime) - reached 2 hours. better than yesterday, still a fail.
  3. Complete 2 chapters fully
  4. Meditate and breathing exercise
  5. Workout chest and back
  6. Read for 30ish minutes
  7. Build a google homepage clone using html,css - couldnt complete
  8. Gratitude journal at the end of the day
Happy new year everyone!

One of the least productive days. I f*cked up. Will do much better tomorrow

Last edited:

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
DAY 3 GOALS AND RESULTS

1. Do at least 6 hours of focused studying
  2. Screentime under 1.5 hours (wasted screentime)
  3. Complete 3 chapters(study) fully
  4. Meditate and breathing exercise
  5. Workout Legs
  6. Read for 30ish minutes
  7. Spend 4 hours coding
  8. Build a google homepage clone using html,css
  9. Gratitude journal at the end of the day

Last edited:

kr8nt

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Nov 24, 2022
Latvia
So heres my actionable plan for now-
1. master web dev (I have basic html, css , js and some other programming language knowledge like python,c++) so that I can start side hustling to make my own money first.
2. start cold calling small businesses in my area and offer them to make websites.
3. develop such strong focus that I dont have to study much to get the results I desire (I believe nothing wrong in getting into a good college where i will learn about something that is actually in demand - AI)
4. Start small in breaking bad habits and building good ones.
It's amazing that you already have a plan, and I believe it would work much better if you would make a couple adjustments to it that would save you time and get you the results you want sooner.

Something like this:
1. Start cold calling small businesses
2. Master web dev on the fly

Nothing else but these 2 points. If you put your full focus on those 2 points only, you won't need the 3rd and the 4th one, the 1st and the 2nd steps will take care of the rest.

Don't waste time mastering skills before you even need them. Why prepare for a storm that might never happen. Find clients and only then worry about mastering the required skills in order to deliver the best product you can to the client.

Imagine a situation where you spend 1 year mastering NodeJS or something else, but then you finally get a client, and the client wants you to use PHP, what are you going to do then? Why not avoid a situation like this, save yourself time and get results sooner?

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
It's amazing that you already have a plan, and I believe it would work much better if you would make a couple adjustments to it that would save you time and get you the results you want sooner.

Something like this:
1. Start cold calling small businesses
2. Master web dev on the fly

Nothing else but these 2 points. If you put your full focus on those 2 points only, you won't need the 3rd and the 4th one, the 1st and the 2nd steps will take care of the rest.

Don't waste time mastering skills before you even need them. Why prepare for a storm that might never happen. Find clients and only then worry about mastering the required skills in order to deliver the best product you can to the client.

Imagine a situation where you spend 1 year mastering NodeJS or something else, but then you finally get a client, and the client wants you to use PHP, what are you going to do then? Why not avoid a situation like this, save yourself time and get results sooner?

Thank you. I was thinking about doing that but I felt kind of 'fear' that I might not be able to complete what the client wants if I dont learn enough. Basically I was afraid of going out of my comfort zone. Learning web dev is easy, its in my home, in front of my computer. Cold calling and negotiating with clients? Damn. That gets me scared. But I must do that. Thanks for opening my eyes.

Now for the hard part, I would have to find leads whom to contact, then actually cold call. Do that for every 1 new lead that I find. Would start from tomorrow. Damn its getting me damn scared. But it is what it is.

Thank you once again. That was really helpful!

kr8nt

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Nov 24, 2022
Latvia
Thank you. I was thinking about doing that but I felt kind of 'fear' that I might not be able to complete what the client wants if I dont learn enough. Basically I was afraid of going out of my comfort zone. Learning web dev is easy, its in my home, in front of my computer. Cold calling and negotiating with clients? Damn. That gets me scared. But I must do that. Thanks for opening my eyes.

Now for the hard part, I would have to find leads whom to contact, then actually cold call. Do that for every 1 new lead that I find. Would start from tomorrow. Damn its getting me damn scared. But it is what it is.

Thank you once again. That was really helpful!
This sounds much better! Don't overcomplicate things with finding leads, start with the people around you. Open google maps and check out the businesses that are nearby, there most probably will be a huge amount that have a website looking like it was made 20 years ago.

Most importantly, remember not to give up if you won't get leads quickly, keep on trying until you get a lead no matter what. Set yourself a measurable daily target, either finding leads, cold calling leads or maybe some other action that you can measure and make it your Nr.1 priority to always hit the daily target and then it will only be a matter of time until you find a client and make your first sale.

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
This sounds much better! Don't overcomplicate things with finding leads, start with the people around you. Open google maps and check out the businesses that are nearby, there most probably will be a huge amount that have a website looking like it was made 20 years ago.

Most importantly, remember not to give up if you won't get leads quickly, keep on trying until you get a lead no matter what. Set yourself a measurable daily target, either finding leads, cold calling leads or maybe some other action that you can measure and make it your Nr.1 priority to always hit the daily target and then it will only be a matter of time until you find a client and make your first sale.
This is actually what I needed to hear. Thanks man. You just changed my whole trajectory - in a much much positive way. I will just start calling(or text using whatsapp, which is more popular here) small gym owners, home service businesses etc. from tomorrow. Will start with a small target and gradually keep on increasing.

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
Thanks to @kr8nt s comment, I am going to change my approach. Heres my goals for tomorrow-

1. Cold call 5 leads - very low but this will help me to break my fear of speaking with 'unknown' people
  2. Start making 'example' websites that you can show to potential clients
  3. Study for 6 hours
  4. Complete 3 chapters
  5. Wake up at 5 30 (6 hours of sleep)
  6. Workout
  7. Make timetable for the day

kr8nt

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Nov 24, 2022
Latvia
How's your progress going so far?

I got a little bit confused on what was the final decision you made throughout all of your threads, so felt like it would be the best to ask in your main thread.

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
How's your progress going so far?

I got a little bit confused on what was the final decision you made throughout all of your threads, so felt like it would be the best to ask in your main thread.
Damn I forgot to write here due to the confusion haha. Thanks for asking.

Well I have chosen to start after my exam gets over. Is it counterproductive? yes. Am I action faking? most likely. I am aware. However, considering my situation, that was what I could decide. This one month would mostly be spent studying , revising and doing various sample test papers anyway. Also getting good marks on this test would ensure that I would get admission in a good high school, ultimately helping me save time in the future. Plus, I don't want to fight with my parents by doing it without telling them (if they come to know) - it would decrease my chances of doing things in the future as well.

The best option that I have found is to actually devote this month to studying (mostly), then starting my side hustle as soon as my exam gets over. Although many arguments could be made on why I should start now - and you would be 100% right.

+ Would perhaps make daily progress threads again from tomorrow. But it would be kinda off topic and boring ig as I would not be doing something worthwhile. Lets see.

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India

Well I have chosen to start after my exam gets over. Is it counterproductive? yes. Am I action faking? most likely. I am aware. However, considering my situation, that was what I could decide. This one month would mostly be spent studying , revising and doing various sample test papers anyway. Also getting good marks on this test would ensure that I would get admission in a good high school, ultimately helping me save time in the future. Plus, I don't want to fight with my parents by doing it without telling them (if they come to know) - it would decrease my chances of doing things in the future as well.

The best option that I have found is to actually devote this month to studying (mostly), then starting my side hustle as soon as my exam gets over. Although many arguments could be made on why I should start now - and you would be 100% right.

+ Would perhaps make daily progress threads again from tomorrow. But it would be kinda off topic and boring ig as I would not be doing something worthwhile. Lets see.
Well update -
Made the decision to not post daily progress thread here (not that anybody would care but just writing this nonetheless). I have decided to use this month to 'fix' myself. Of my mobile 'addiction' and lack of discipline. Im pretty sure progress thread on those things is not something that would give value to this forum.

Plus for now I will be loggin out of this forum. This forum has been the best place on the internet, but even that has no use if all I do is just consume. Since I can't 'start' my business until about a month n a half from now, it would be better to just not consume unneeded information at all. Will devote this month to studying, improving my physical and mental health and learning the values of discipline, consistency and focus.

Till then, thanks everyone here. You all are great guys. Thanks especially to @kr8nt and @Stoicmind .

Zontora

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Oct 29, 2023
Well update -
Made the decision to not post daily progress thread here (not that anybody would care but just writing this nonetheless). I have decided to use this month to 'fix' myself. Of my mobile 'addiction' and lack of discipline. Im pretty sure progress thread on those things is not something that would give value to this forum.

Plus for now I will be loggin out of this forum. This forum has been the best place on the internet, but even that has no use if all I do is just consume. Since I can't 'start' my business until about a month n a half from now, it would be better to just not consume unneeded information at all. Will devote this month to studying, improving my physical and mental health and learning the values of discipline, consistency and focus.

Till then, thanks everyone here. You all are great guys. Thanks especially to @kr8nt and @Stoicmind .
Thank you as well, you've helped me a lot. Let me know how the bussiness turns out

kr8nt

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Nov 24, 2022
Latvia

You have made a decision that will save you time in future, which will allow you to invest more time in doing work in the future and will avoid you from wasting time on arguing with your parents and the other benefits you mentioned, so that is a very good decision, it's not bad or counterproductive that you are not going to be doing any work regards building a business, because if you use the time and not waste it, then ultimately you are being productive.

It doesn't matter what is exactly that you are doing as long as what you are doing has a positive impact on you reaching your goals, and if it is, then you are being productive.

Good luck with your exam, and remember to never give up!

drwyness

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 12, 2017
UK
Any update with this? This is virtually the same idea that piqued my interest in 2020 but I never took action. Still looking for ideas 3.5 years later.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.