The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My lesson this month - always find the decision maker.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
It's interesting how when you're caught up in the excitement of doing business, you forget things you already know.

So , my software business has excitedly taken on our second client. Pitched our custom franchise-focused intranet solution to the Vice President of a company - he loves it, says he'll sign the contract if his team okays it. Everyone on his team except one guy shows up to the webinar - the team okays it and they sign the contract - we get to work on building a few custom plugins to make it suit their exact business. However, I have a 30 day refund/trial clause.

Once we go to launch, the guy who didn't show up (Director of marketing), who also turns out to be the ultimate decision maker, says he doesn't like the front end design. The exact same design everyone else in his company saw and loved. Emailed him some new solutions, but haven't heard from him in a week.

What's even worse, is this guy doesn't want me to talk to anyone else - just him.

We'll see how this one turns out, however - interesting lesson learned. You really gotta drill down and find out if there are other decision makers. Even if they aren't the most senior person.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Great lesson to take forward
It's interesting how when you're caught up in the excitement of doing business, you forget things you already know.

So , my software business has excitedly taken on our second client. Pitched our custom franchise-focused intranet solution to the Vice President of a company - he loves it, says he'll sign the contract if his team okays it. Everyone on his team except one guy shows up to the webinar - the team okays it and they sign the contract - we get to work on building a few custom plugins to make it suit their exact business. However, I have a 30 day refund/trial clause.

Once we go to launch, the guy who didn't show up (Director of marketing), who also turns out to be the ultimate decision maker, says he doesn't like the front end design. The exact same design everyone else in his company saw and loved. Emailed him some new solutions, but haven't heard from him in a week.

What's even worse, is this guy doesn't want me to talk to anyone else - just him.

We'll see how this one turns out, however - interesting lesson learned. You really gotta drill down and find out if there are other decision makers.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA

We'll see how this one turns out, however - interesting lesson learned. You really gotta drill down and find out if there are other decision makers. Even if they aren't the most senior person.
you're now "experienced." :) such fun.

(I do custom software, too. Getting everyone to agree on design isn't easy. I'm in the middle of redesigning a U/I myself. )

I'd get in touch with someone there and find out what's going on ASAP. a week is WAAAY too long (as I'm sure you know). Clients need to know that you've got their back, regardless of what happens.

Also...the 30 day guarantee...get rid of that for anything that involves custom work on your end. You can refund licensing prices, but the other stuff, you should be compensated for. It will keep your client with skin in the game, too.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
you're now "experienced." :) such fun.
Also...the 30 day guarantee...get rid of that for anything that involves custom work on your end. You can refund licensing prices, but the other stuff, you should be compensated for. It will keep your client with skin in the game, too.

Yea - going to just call the VP tomorrow and see what's up. And it was dumb on my end to include the custom stuff in the 30 day clause. Lessons learned there! Even got specific insurance that these guys requested lol.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Money upfront!

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Yea - going to just call the VP tomorrow and see what's up. And it was dumb on my end to include the custom stuff in the 30 day clause. Lessons learned there! Even got specific insurance that these guys requested lol.
live and learn :)

Tim Allen Jr.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 6, 2017
virginia

Hey TreyAllDay,

New to the forum here....

I was previously in sales and know can understand the situation you're in. I'm a business owner now so I can understand the situation they are in.

Some thoughts on your post, and apologies if I'm repeating stuff you already know:

1.) Don't know what you're building, but it's obv. you are building and can build something they need.
- If you can hammer them (sorry don't know what other terminology to use here) on their need, that VP or Dir. of Marketing has some metric or goal what you're building solves for them. Without you, they are still going to need that need filled.

Example: I was looking for push notification and email providers asap since mine was going to shut down. Regardless of who I chose to fill that need of mine, i needed to choose somebody, so why not you, because they do need to choose.

2.) This might not be a case for everyone, but if your solution is tailored to them, then it means they took time to explain it to you. For me, the time it takes for me to fully explain a project i need is a decent chunk of time (from fully thinking out specs). So for me then have to explain it to someone else, is a pain in the arse and something i don't want to do. So then for the VP, Dir of Mark., yadda and yadda have to go through another meeting with someone else is a pain. I remember so many times currently, and with previous companies that the team voted on going with something we knew vs having to deal with another vendor/demo/learning....... So that is something you have on your side.

TL;DR - They need your sh*t, you just gotta remind them how badly.

Hopefully it works out for you!

Last edited:

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
Hey Trey - it goes back to sales. When you're making the sale, it's crucial you speak to the decision maker during that phase. Establish who the line of contact will be moving forward. In the design phase, always get a solid "yes, approved" (via email) so that if the client turns around and wants an unnecessary amount of changes later in development, you have leverage to charge additional money if warranted. Although, in most cases, you typically just "eat" those changes in hopes for some good karma / relationship with the business...which in web design/development, usually doesn't pay off unless you're holding the client to a monthly charge of some kind (like SEO).

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Hey Trey - it goes back to sales. When you're making the sale, it's crucial you speak to the decision maker during that phase. Establish who the line of contact will be moving forward.

Appreciate the advice - you're absolutely correct.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Hey TreyAllDay,

New to the forum here....

I was previously in sales and know can understand the situation you're in. I'm a business owner now so I can understand the situation they are in.

Some thoughts on your post, and apologies if I'm repeating stuff you already know:

1.) Don't know what you're building, but it's obv. you are building and can build something they need.
- If you can hammer them (sorry don't know what other terminology to use here) on their need, that VP or Dir. of Marketing has some metric or goal what you're building solves for them. Without you, they are still going to need that need filled.

Example: I was looking for push notification and email providers asap since mine was going to shut down. Regardless of who I chose to fill that need of mine, i needed to choose somebody, so why not you, because they do need to choose.

2.) This might not be a case for everyone, but if your solution is tailored to them, then it means they took time to explain it to you. For me, the time it takes for me to fully explain a project i need is a decent chunk of time (from fully thinking out specs). So for me then have to explain it to someone else, is a pain in the arse and something i don't want to do. So then for the VP, Dir of Mark., yadda and yadda have to go through another meeting with someone else is a pain. I remember so many times currently, and with previous companies that the team voted on going with something we knew vs having to deal with another vendor/demo/learning....... So that is something you have on your side.

TL;DR - They need your sh*t, you just gotta remind them how badly.

Hopefully it works out for you!
Thanks for the great advice.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.