The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
@million$$$smile - how much profit did you make?
Lets just say I have done extremely well without gouging the customer, though I do admit I listed a half dozen of the boxes at an extremely exorbitant price to see how they would do.
I sold every one of the six for over 5000% markup in less than a day.
I could trash or give away the rest that I have and still have done amazing.
I should have bought 10,000-20,000 when I had the opportunity to in January. My bad.

That is when I decided to remove most of my listings and reassess what I really wanted to do with the remaining product. I wanted to see if these were going to be need for more than just panic buying. Maybe we would really need these here locally for more than just 'dust masks'
I have sold a few in my B&M store for the standard amount ($22/box) to a few loyal customers but have told everyone else that I don't have any available. I realize that they are getting a bit harder to find unless you know where to look.

This past weekend I walked into a competitors store to see if they still had any.

I like to go in my competitors stores and see how they display products, what they are selling and how busy they are. I do this when I'm traveling and on vacation also. I learned this from Sam Walton's book 'Made in America' which I highly recommend.
I found 6 boxes of the 3M N95 style. I decided to buy 3 of the boxes off the shelf ($22.95 each) and listed 2 of them on Amazon.
It was really just an experiment to see how quickly they would sell, without selling my own. They were being sold by other vendors for $57-$59/box. I listed them at $50 and they were both gone in 20 minutes. After listing fees and shipping (first class), I came out ahead by a few bucks. Not trying to make any money really, just to see what the response would be.

What I was trying to convey is, is that if someone is complaining about how to make a few dollars as a side hustle, maybe they are half blind. There are opportunities everywhere. I think maybe a person could package a 'kit', hand sanitizer, mask, gloves, etc and market them to people that are 'highly alarmed' with the news. It might fill a need.

And that is what it is all about. Meeting needs.

That is why this Thread is in the side hustles forum. I see these threads on how to get started and sometimes we are too close to the forest to see the trees. Opportunities are all around us.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
Lets just say I have done extremely well without gouging the customer, though I do admit I listed a half dozen of the boxes at an extremely exorbitant price to see how they would do.
I should have bought 10,000-20,000 when I had the opportunity to in January. My bad.

That is when I decided to remove most of my listings and reassess what I really wanted to do with the remaining product. I wanted to see if these were going to be need for more than just panic buying. Maybe we would really need these here locally for more than just 'dust masks'
I have sold a few in my B&M store for the standard amount ($22/box) to a few loyal customers but have told everyone else that I don't have any available. I realize that they are getting a bit harder to find unless you know where to look.

This past weekend I walked into a competitors store to see if they still had any.

I like to go in my competitors stores and see how they display products, what they are selling and how busy they are. I do this when I'm traveling and on vacation also. I learned this from Sam Walton's book 'Made in America' which I highly recommend.
I found 6 boxes of the 3M N95 style. I decided to buy 3 of the boxes off the shelf ($22.95 each) and listed 2 of them on Amazon.
It was really just an experiment to see how quickly they would sell, without selling my own. They were being sold by other vendors for $57-$59/box. I listed them at $50 and they were both gone in 20 minutes. After listing fees and shipping (first class), I came out ahead by a few bucks. Not trying to make any money really, just to see what the response would be.

What I was trying to convey is, is that if someone is complaining about how to make a few dollars as a side hustle, maybe they are half blind. There are opportunities everywhere. I think maybe a person could package a 'kit', hand sanitizer, mask, gloves, etc and market them to people that are 'highly alarmed' with the news. It might fill a need.

That is why this Thread is in the side hustles forum. I see these threads on how to get started and sometimes we are too close to the forest to see the trees. Opportunities are all around us.

Good for you!

I tried listing some surgical masks (not N95) on fb marketplace for around USD 23 per 50pcs but barely anyone's biting.

What could be wrong? Price too high?

Fr33zerPop

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 14, 2020
Portland, Oregon, USA
If you're debating a moral question, debate it. Ponder it. Do what you feel is right.
But, no, you shouldn't use the example of others to support it. That's moral relativism--a logical fallacy that uses someone else's action to support your decision. Moral actions don't use supporting evidence. Moral actions are "This is what I believe is the right thing to do."

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
What you do its okay.
But OP and others think their moral should be based on what big pharma does... Thats a huge fail...

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
There is NOTHING morally wrong with making a profit and taking advantage of supply and demand. It's called a free market system and this is how it works. If you don't like it, move to North Korea and see how much you like that system.
BTW NO ONE is forcing you to buy the marked up product in any case, hence the name "free market". You could ask for $1000.00 a mask and if someone out of their own "free will" sees value in that proposition they will buy it, otherwise they wont. Simple and morally correct.
Personally I don't concern myself with other peoples opinions of the actions I deem morally correct. Why waste energy on that? Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one... My moral compass is based on humanity, if the product or service hurts people I don't do it (see cigarettes).
Good for you for spotting an opportunity, buying low and selling high. Anyone that has a problem with that is probably broke! LOL Thanks and all the best to you.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
Is Amazon OK with you selling retail arbitrage? I thought they looked down on that sort of selling. I was told that if you are selling name brands you had to prove you were a authorized re-seller. Was I misled on that?

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Why would it be considered retail arbitrage? I've never had to prove to Amazon that I was authorized to sell any of the products I list, even though I am-and I have well over 1500 products alone on Amazon.

All in all, I don't believe Amazon cares as long as they are not counterfeit.

They are happy with the hundreds in fees they collect from me.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
Cool! So I was misled. I will look for opportunities like this in the future myself. Impressed with your success. I am interested in your Amazon story and store, do you have any links on that journey? PM me if you wish. Thank you, once again. All the best.

Levinport

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 9, 2019
I finally decided I would share my recent experience selling N95 particulate masks online. I really debated about this as I thought some would regard me of being greedy or taking advantage of people.

And yet some of these same people don't mind finding a product on Alibaba and selling it for 10 times what they paid for it.

Go figure.

This post isn't really about the money I've made, though I've done extremely well.

It is more about the mindset.
About recognizing an opportunity, and after recognizing it, stepping out and pulling the trigger.

On January 24th one of my manufacturer reps emailed me letting me know that they were already out of 3M N95 masks but had several other brands still available. It was on a Friday. He told me if I was interested in some, that I should buy soon.
That is when I really took notice. Normally they carry 10's of thousands.

Over the weekend I began to read as much about what was occurring in China as I could. From news agencies to reddit to various online forums. By Sunday, I had decided that I would pull the trigger on purchasing at least 200 to 400 boxes (20 per box) of N95 masks.

Monday morning I placed an order, (they would only sell me 200 boxes) and had them arrive two days later. As soon as I was emailed the tracking number and knew they were on their way, I added them to my websites online and Amazon. I only added 10 boxes at a time and within half an hour they would sell out.

Every time.

I repeated this for several days and kept the price in-line with other vendors, as they were raising the prices sometimes within hours.
The prices got so high I began to reconsider everything and decided to keep half the inventory I had left as I believed that they would become completely unavailable.

That is, unless I found another source.

By January 30th, All my suppliers were completely sold out, though I was lucky enough to order another 44 boxes from one vendor.

I even had one N95 manufacturer finally tell me that they had several large shipments scheduled to leave China, but were confiscated by the Chinese government to supply their own people. All N95 shipments were 'rerouted'.
That is when I decided to scout around the local stores and began purchasing boxes off of retail shelves. I usually bought half the inventory and left half for others.

No one locally was really taking this seriously yet.

I really got lucky at a local discount freight store that had 50 cases of N95 masks on the shelf for $2.49/box! These boxes usually sell for $20-$24 in many stores. No one was buying these masks! I went back 3 times that day as I didn't want to bring attention too much on my purchases hoping they would maybe restock if they had more.
Sure enough, the shelves were restocked two days later and I proceeded to buy like I had before.
The third time I went back on day 2, the shelves had been cleared out. I had pick up about 80 boxes total for an amazing price.

I missed picking up about 25 boxes, which I am glad to see that maybe someone else recognized the opportunity that was available to anyone.

It is hard for me to understand why others don't jump on these opportunities when they are presented to them.

I had mentioned this opportunity to 4 or 5 other friends so that they at least could go there and stock up on masks for themselves if not for profit.
I also told 9 employees the same thing, and had thought that perhaps one of them would want to make some extra coin with very little effort.
No one grabbed the opportunity, even when they saw the insane profits I was making selling them online! They were literally shipping these masks out for me and they were still available to go and purchase themselves.
They could have made their wages that day by going down there at lunch and buying 2 boxes of masks for $5!
Do I feel bad about making a great profit on N95 masks?
No.
Why would I feel bad about selling a product that anyone who made a little effort to obtain when they first heard about the virus, could have most likely found them at the local hardware/home improvement store. Now are selling for double and triple online?
Finding the product is just a barrier of entry.

Even if it is for your own needs.

Is it morally wrong to sell this product 2,3,4 times the normal price?
How about 10 times?? 100 times?
The pharmaceutical companies are doing that every day.
It is just part of capitalism.

It basically is about supply and demand.

You demand it, Someone will try to supply it.

Focus on being the supplier rather than the consumer.
I finally decided I would share my recent experience selling N95 particulate masks online. I really debated about this as I thought some would regard me of being greedy or taking advantage of people.

And yet some of these same people don't mind finding a product on Alibaba and selling it for 10 times what they paid for it.

Go figure.

This post isn't really about the money I've made, though I've done extremely well.

About recognizing an opportunity, and after recognizing it, stepping out and pulling the trigger.

On January 24th one of my manufacturer reps emailed me letting me know that they were already out of 3M N95 masks but had several other brands still available. It was on a Friday. He told me if I was interested in some, that I should buy soon.

Over the weekend I began to read as much about what was occurring in China as I could. From news agencies to reddit to various online forums. By Sunday, I had decided that I would pull the trigger on purchasing at least 200 to 400 boxes (20 per box) of N95 masks.

Monday morning I placed an order, (they would only sell me 200 boxes) and had them arrive two days later. As soon as I was emailed the tracking number and knew they were on their way, I added them to my websites online and Amazon. I only added 10 boxes at a time and within half an hour they would sell out.

Every time.

I repeated this for several days and kept the price in-line with other vendors, as they were raising the prices sometimes within hours.
The prices got so high I began to reconsider everything and decided to keep half the inventory I had left as I believed that they would become completely unavailable.

By January 30th, All my suppliers were completely sold out, though I was lucky enough to order another 44 boxes from one vendor.

I even had one N95 manufacturer finally tell me that they had several large shipments scheduled to leave China, but were confiscated by the Chinese government to supply their own people. All N95 shipments were 'rerouted'.
That is when I decided to scout around the local stores and began purchasing boxes off of retail shelves. I usually bought half the inventory and left half for others.

I really got lucky at a local discount freight store that had 50 cases of N95 masks on the shelf for $2.49/box! These boxes usually sell for $20-$24 in many stores. No one was buying these masks! I went back 3 times that day as I didn't want to bring attention too much on my purchases hoping they would maybe restock if they had more.
Sure enough, the shelves were restocked two days later and I proceeded to buy like I had before.
The third time I went back on day 2, the shelves had been cleared out. I had pick up about 80 boxes total for an amazing price.

I missed picking up about 25 boxes, which I am glad to see that maybe someone else recognized the opportunity that was available to anyone.

It is hard for me to understand why others don't jump on these opportunities when they are presented to them.

I had mentioned this opportunity to 4 or 5 other friends so that they at least could go there and stock up on masks for themselves if not for profit.
I also told 9 employees the same thing, and had thought that perhaps one of them would want to make some extra coin with very little effort.
No one grabbed the opportunity, even when they saw the insane profits I was making selling them online! They were literally shipping these masks out for me and they were still available to go and purchase themselves.
They could have made their wages that day by going down there at lunch and buying 2 boxes of masks for $5!
No.
Why would I feel bad about selling a product that anyone who made a little effort to obtain when they first heard about the virus, could have most likely found them at the local hardware/home improvement store. Now are selling for double and triple online?

Awsome work well done!! I saw a need with the n95 masks here in Europe also!

My baby girl is 10 weeks, we need some masks but it would be cheaper to buy wholesale, 1 pallet-load same price for 1 box on amazon! Haha

So I looked for people already selling on Amazon.
But they all now have the same problem.....no suppliers left.

It’s even tricky to get suppliers for them and on amazon they reselling for so much.

A little bit of hustling and taking action just like you say here and......
Here’s the good bit.

I can get 20,000+ masks to the German amazon fullfilment center tomorrow afternoon if someone has an amazon account.

I’m also going into detail in a new thread so this doesn’t de-rail yours!!!

daydreamerbox

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 19, 2019

thanks for the post OP! I actually picked up a few N95 boxes the other day and might consider listing it online to make a few bucks. Would you saw most of your buyers are from the US or were there a lot of international buyers? i was considering using ebay and/or amazon. Thx

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
The deal is great.
But what I don’t understand: why would the mass of people buy these masks, when the percentage of the reallyaffectedpeople is so so little.
Here in Germany noone even knows, what a N95 mask is.

Here

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 6, 2019
Love this thread! It’s a crash course in capitalism and business, with some debate mixed in for entertainment. #gold

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
BTW NO ONE is forcing you to buy the marked up product in any case, hence the name "free market".
The only free market is the black market.

The free market has nothing to do with choice but regulation. Wanted to point that out as a lot of people are learning business and economics by second-hand interaction here.

For OP I agree that people ignore pharma but flip when store risks rioters, violence, and theft to sell water for twice the amount.

I lived in Louisiana for years and the state doesn't have the best crime rate. When there is a natural disaster it is extremely risky for stores to stay open during them. The store owners arm themselves and sometimes even hire friends or family to act as security. Even bigger stores hire armed private security.

If the risk and cost of business shoots up on top of demand, why shouldn't they raise prices?

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
The deal is great.
But what I don’t understand: why would the mass of people buy these masks, when the percentage of the reallyaffectedpeople is so so little.
Here in Germany noone even knows, what a N95 mask is.
Well, in Germany its the FFP3.
And actually its sold out, too. Wholesale is impossible.
I was 100% wrong.
I should have read it a week before.
that comes from not looking news

Levinport

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 9, 2019
Well, in Germany its the FFP3.
And actually its sold out, too. Wholesale is impossible.
I was 100% wrong.
I should have read it a week before.
that comes from not looking news
Sold out..??????........but i have 9million masks sitting in the warehouse and cant sell them because amazon and ebay blocked my accounts. Now making plans to ship them to china they need them bad!

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Sold out..??????........but i have 9million masks sitting in the warehouse and cant sell them because amazon and ebay blocked my accounts. Now making plans to ship them to china they need them bad!
9 million. Respect!
Why not a homepage, google ads, and wholesale?
here you dont get any from wholesellers.
Send me 10000!
In China they seem still to have some to sell. Said a supplier today.

Levinport

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 9, 2019
9 million. Respect!
Why not a homepage, google ads, and wholesale?
here you dont get any from wholesellers.
Send me 10000!
In China they seem still to have some to sell. Said a supplier today.

Do you mean make a webpage and sell them wholesale like that?? Thats a good idea actually didnt think of that.

Well a middle man for china ordered 4 milllion masks last week from me. Hardest deal to do ever so many questions and videos and verifications and then the way they wanted to pay after if it cleared customs.....omg

windchaser

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
May 24, 2017
Spain

Go figure.

Every time.

No.

Maybe the answer is as simple as this:
For some people, the value of those opportunnistic profits is lower than its moral cost.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Why did they block your accounts

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Wow. Price gouging , and making false claims....

I'm just a Pied Piper playing my flute.... and ya, the mice are following.....

I don't get it.

Just sell the product. No need to make false claims or even price gouge.

So you have the last room vacant in a hotel in town. And you have 10 people flashing money, money, money, at you.
What do you do.?

WHAT DO YOU DO????

Highest Price or rent to the one that needs it the most,
forgoing the price?????

Dilemma.

We all make decisions.

Every day.

There is no need to make false claims.

Just be real and play your flute....

They will find you.

Levinport

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 9, 2019
Why did they block your accounts

Well They didnt even let me open my account and its blocked now because i tryed to many times, i think because i am australian citizen with australian passport, i have a polish bank account and address but no ID with my polish address, and i dont live in australia and my TFN is australian. my wife is polish and living here on a long stay tourist visa atm. My brother in law said that to sell in Germany you must have an EU ID and tax number. He sells on amazon and he bought some masks from me and is reselling them there now.
I can set it up with my wifes ID but i am now selling my masks more then ok so no need! and trying to find more now actually!

YEP This is f*cked up!!! My mum needed some masks and paid $30 for one mask! Im selling them bulk for under 1€ and they marking them up $29.......how do you sleep at night doing that!!!!! Im.glad amazon are craking down on it!!

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Lesson #1 : To be kind to others is to be cruel to yourself and your family.

Lesson #2 : No place for compassion in business.

Lesson #3 : Money above everything.

Lesson#4 : In order to rise up, others must go down.

kkoasdfawfqwe2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Feb 17, 2017
Europe

I don't really agree with any of your lessons here, but this one I disagree with the most.

You are suggesting the resources in our world holds a static value and therefore if someone gains more, someone else will lose the equal amount.

Do you really believe in that?

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States

giphy.gif

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada

That literally flies in the face of everything most successful business people preach about.

It does, however, line up perfectly with the typical anti-business nonsense you hear parroted all over the more liberal online discussion spaces.

Some of the most successful people on this forum built their various empires using precisely the opposite advice of every point you made.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
403%
Apr 16, 2019

Squeeze the margins to "put money above everything". View your customers as suckers and as a means to an end because "in order to rise up others must go down". Become a "boss" and not a leader because you don't understand the value of kindness.

Sorry, but I strongly disagree with every one of your lessons. They are all aligned with a SCARCITY mentality. Thinking there's not enough to go around, so you must keep as much to yourself as possible.

Recognize that the universe is infinite, and that there's more than you can imagine to go around. Business should be about love. Share as much love as you can. Become an anthropologist. Develop a deep sense of empathy for others and genuinely care about them.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
So I've thought long and hard what I might market along with the N95 masks.

Sort of created a Survival kit, to sell on the marketplaces.

Now mind you, I haven't quite put together the packaging yet but the pieces are all there.

Whaddya think?

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.