The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Does it still make sense to sell N95 Masks?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Buying masks now is a loser move.

People will be back to work in 2 weeks, thinking about buying shit for the super cheap vacations they're all planning to purchase. If you're going to try and make quick money, you need to be at least 2 months ahead of the curve.

If it were me, I would be looking at picking up higher level consumer products, designer labels etc.
Two weeks? Not a chance.

I like Trump, but his Easter comment was just lip service to the market.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
Jumped the gun on that one. :blush:

The spread & impact is far greater than I originally anticipated, particularly in Italy & Spain. After the dust settles, I'm sure things will come to light, but in those two countries particularly, it's bad.

Ing

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
no left supplier in Germany. Or?

MHP368

Machine Learning Behavioral Driven Lead Gen
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
you know what might be hot for the next month or so? , if you can get hold of those ozone cleaners for cpaps or some kind of tiny oven (apparently n95 masks can be sterilized @ about 150 farenheit for 20 minutes or so for reuse)

Might be catching a falling knife on that one though if everyones bulking up production anyway.

I personally have a washable n99 with replaceable filters and the wifes making masks for the coworkers at this point.

Sethamus

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
Is there a specific list (not generalized) of what Amazon is not allowing for new listings and advertisements? I have thought of a few items I want to check out that are related, but nothing to do with mask or cleaners.

active employ

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 14, 2015
info as I have some friends in the Amazon space.
Amazon is banning any listings that are related to masks if the price is above normal sale price.
They must also clearly state the NIOSH air filtration rating.

However. I would sell directly to hospitals. Right now hospitals are the ones who need masks dearly.
sell them at a non-douche price and they will most likely sell out as quickly as you can order them.
Every single hospital is in need of masks.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL

My friend and I imported around 2,000 masks. Had a couple friends from here introduce me to their supplier.

Price was $1.09 per mask. Landed was $1.34.

We sold 2,000 in a day @ $3 each.

The market price was $7 to $10 when we pulled the trigger. We weren't in it for the money, as much as the challenge and to bring the market price down and see how many people we could help. Price was set at $3 to cover our risk and provide a small reward that we could reinvest if the market needed it.

We made a little over $3,000 in a day (lined up the sales ahead of time), and now have some masks left over.

I won't be ordering more. My expectation is that in two weeks the market will start to see competition and the prices will come down.

Made a lot of people happy. No complaints. Would do again.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jan 19, 2016
you know what might be hot for the next month or so? , if you can get hold of those ozone cleaners for cpaps or some kind of tiny oven (apparently n95 masks can be sterilized @ about 150 farenheit for 20 minutes or so for reuse)

Might be catching a falling knife on that one though if everyones bulking up production anyway.

I personally have a washable n99 with replaceable filters and the wifes making masks for the coworkers at this point.
the sterilization part I think is risky and many won't do it. handling contaminated masks in the first place can lead to an infection, imagine how many doctors tired from work who remove the mask and have to then sterilize it instead of carefully throwing it away.. idk man seems it isn't worth the risk.

Ing

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I want wo make warning to all who want have a part of that : there are many fake sites now offering masks. I get 2 emails every day and I needed some research time to detect them as scam 449.
Care, whom you trust!

Raedrum

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 30, 2019
(excuse me everyone for my approximative English)

@AgainstAllOdds thank you for your advice, so you think the opportunity off selling masks is over ?

I would like to remember everybody of the apparent non-efficient way most governments are treating the pandemic. Countries such Taiwan, South Korea or Singapour have done the bet to systematically test everyone and they're doing great.

The choice of lockdown has maybe driven us all in a potentially long period of confinement. Of course I'm far from being an expert, but I don't really believe in this #flattenthecurve dementia. Microbiologists themselves say that the curve is very dynamic and can bump-up at any moment. Waiting for the pandemic to disappear by flatten the curve can be reaaaaal long, as it can re-explode very quickly (wich is not the case if you systematicaly test peoples before send them back to work).

So, I know I'm over-simplifying it, but I'm asking a question (for I'm quite a newbie in economics): Is the China basically going to make 3 gazillions masks for the planet and that's all, or will the crisis continue in same or different way, making selling masks interresting for a long period ?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
@AgainstAllOdds thank you for your advice, so you think the opportunity off selling masks is over ?
China is expecting a second wave - so they put huge limitations on PPE exports as of April 1st. The only products that can be exported are those that have Chinese and American certifications. Very few companies have that - and the few that do are operating as a cartel to skyrocket prices.

Outside of the U.S. I don't know.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

ARMAT

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Feb 11, 2019
Don`t be concentrated on short time and easy money. Use you priceful energy on
setting up solid and long term businesses.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
Hey @Simon Angel thanks for the write up. I think there is a ton of potential in all areas...
MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
@Lyinx lol man, okay. Just to make it clear to everyone else, I'm not involved with...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
would this be available in paper version? I know it's short, but most of my family is...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock