• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Can't Hurt Me, by Goggins

WEB SCHOOL My Journey as a Noob Web Designer

Discussion in 'Web Design as a Hustle' started by jarvisdiego, Sep 10, 2018.

1. jarvisdiego

jarvisdiego New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $132
    WEEK 1
    What's up everyone,

My goal is to record my weekly progress as web designer until I reach $1M / year. I think that is a good way of measuring my success with this hustle.

A little bit about me:

I just turned 24 yo and I graduated with a B.S. in mechanical engineering. After graduation, I went on a trip to S. Korea by myself as I wanted to explore a new country (besides Mexico and US). On my trip I was thinking about my future. Do I want to be an engineer? or do I want to build my own business? I was indecisive. I came back to San Diego in July '18 and I got a job offer as a quality engineer and I took the opportunity.

I never knew what working a 9-5 felt like. First weeks, since it was something new, I was happy and excited to show up to work. I felt like I was on the right path. But then, something started happening. I started seeing the reality. To make it short, it was an environment I did not enjoy. I did not wanted to have this type of life. I wanted to have an epic life with adventures. Have the time to do things I actually enjoy doing! (Soccer, partying, and gym).

That is when I came across Fox's post (about web design). Since, I am an engineer I have always loved coding. It is something I enjoy and something I get in the flow when doing. I started reading the post and I knew this is something I wanted to do. I immediately started taking action.

Fast-forward to today:

- I decided I will quit my job and this week I will talk to my boss about putting in the two week notice. I will work on my dreams! I have $2500 in my bank account (+ two more weeks) and hopefully that lasts until I start earning money with web design.

- I bought a domain (through Namecheap $3/year), host (godaddy $11/month), and I am almost done with my own website (template was $17 or $30) :D

- I already took the Udemy course Fox recommended and also the codecademy course

I have to thank @Fox so much for all the value that he has given to everyone (YouTube & TMF).

My 1 month goals:
    1. Design two free websites
    2. create my own website
    3. talk to an accountant and find out how to open up your business

My long-term goals related to web design:
    1. Make $1M/year before I reach 30 (5 clients that pay me $20k / month)
    2. Once I see my business bringing in 6 figures, I will try and outsource most of the work so I can focus on bringing in more revenue or working on something else
    3. Create a kick-a$$ team that I enjoy working with (5-10 people)

If anyone is in the San Diego area I would love to connect with you. PM me ;)

If anyone has any tips, questions, or whatever comment it here or PM me

Let kick some a$$,

LR

2. James Fend

James Fend Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,518
    Cool man. I wish you well on your journey. That's exactly how I got started; doing freelance web design.. eventually making my own portfolio of websites for income streams, ecomm, apps, etc..

MB2, Mazzolini and jarvisdiego like this.
  3. Eddie Temple

Eddie Temple Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $157
    Don't put your notice until you land a few clients, or even better, until you are in big demand.

Thank me later

Silver Silk, strick, dior616 and 8 others like this.
  4. Stargazer

Stargazer Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,053
    Same advice as above.

The two things are not mutually exclusive at this moment in time.

Moreover, you live in a country with more than one time zone.

So you can phone companies on the East Coast and then go to work as normal. In the evening you can make the website.

When you have a predictable lead generation system with numbers that work you can transition.

If you want to go hell for leather then just take two weeks holiday and go flat out trying to get business. If you don't muster up anything then at least you have an income whilst reassessing. If you do then again if the numbers work you can leave your job.

Dan

jarvisdiego likes this.
  5. Burton

Burton Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $157
    I'm looking forward to see your next progress posts, it seems to me very interesting to run this kind of business. Also you should consider previous advices. If you will have some questions about making websites don't hesitate to ask me, I'm a software developer so I will try to help you as much as it possible. Wish you all the best!

jarvisdiego likes this.
  6. jarvisdiego

Rep Bank:
    $132
    Haha I already put in my two weeks.

I believe in this. I know it will eventually work out :)

Awesome, thanks!

7. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $48,911
    The other possibility is that it won't.

But you don't really know, because you haven't built or sold a website yet.

You couldn't accomplish this while maintaining a day job?

lowtek, Deceiver and BlackMagician like this.
  8. Danny Sullivan

Danny Sullivan Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,163
    So you're basically Tarzan, swinging around on a liana (your job) in the jungle (work world)... you're swinging on this liana (your job) for quite some time and you know it can support your weight (your current life situation). Now you're thinking about grabbing another liana (beeing self-employed) to swing even further... so you close your eyes and dream about how far this liana might get you (1 million $) ... so eyes closed you just grab one (quit job, beeing self-employed) not knowing if it might just be a monkey tail (it's not working out) and both of you fall to the ground unsupported.

Why not stay with your supporting liana (your job), grab another liana (beeing self-employed) and swing on both at the same time for a while to test if the new liana can support your weight too... and to make sure it's not a monkey tail of course :)

Sorry for the weird analogy, but i hope you get the point.

Anyways - best of luck to you!!!

BlackMagician, Storm24, Over and 2 others like this.
  9. Blu H

Blu H New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $22
    Man Oh Man this sounds really familiar... since I did the same thing back in 2014! Quit a good job BEFORE you even get another one, or in his case, become self-employed, because of ultimate confidence! Hopefully you don't get burned like I was!

BlackMagician and jarvisdiego like this.
  10. Mazzolini

Mazzolini New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $87
    Hi, I’m also a mechanical engineer around the same age. I’ve made two websites for clients so far, but I’m still working my 9-5. Why not continue to work and build websites on the side. I dedicate 35 hours a week to a web design while working 9-5. I personally a wouldn’t quit my job until i made a solid portfolio and generated $5k.

Look into Django and Django wagtail

Just my personal opinion, good luck!

Silver Silk likes this.
  11. Mazzolini

Mazzolini New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $87
    How is your business going these days?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  12. Private Witt

Private Witt Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,868
    Good luck OP and thanks for sharing. I used to live in PB and think of going back to San Diego almost every day.

jarvisdiego likes this.
  13. jarvisdiego

Rep Bank:
    $132
    Week 2

It's being a somewhat stressful week. I finished listening to Unscripted and started listening to The Way of the Wolf. It is funny because I am already getting ideas for new ventures (just like Unscripted mentioned), but I already committed to Web Design so I have to stick to it. I know that I will encounter bumps (some of them very big) during the road, I just have to remain persistent and take smart action :)

I need to start learning how to do cold calls effectively. I haven't done any, but I feel a bit of anxiety and excitement thinking about them. I already sent around 3 emails to companies, but I never heard back from them. It might be the way I am writing the email OR they are not interested in my services. I still need to analyze more. See what works and what does not when sending emails.

On the bright side, I finished my website. I hired a girl from New Zealand (through Upwork) to do the logo for me. She is still working on it and I am going to pay her $20. That is the only thing stopping me from the FINAL step: going live with the website. After that, I will start focusing on acquiring clients and/or doing a MAXIMUM of two free websites to build a portfolio.

Also, I worked a lot on the copywriting of my website (I used many tips from Cashvertising. I actually had it right next to me ;)). I'd say it is pretty good for a newbie. I will make changes as time goes by. If I see results I will keep what I wrote. If I see that I am not getting any results, I will make some small tweaks.

With this, I end WEEK 2 and I start WEEK 3 tomorrow. My last week at my job (Last day is Friday) and finally I have all the free time to focus on my little baby :)

Once I am free most of my weeks will look like this:
    - 10 hours for BUSINESS (6 days sometimes 7 days)
    - 1.5 hours for GYM (3 times per week)
    - 1.5 hours for SOCCER (2 times per week)
    - 5 hours for PARTYING (Friday or Saturday)
    - 7-8 hours of SLEEP (every night!)
    - 1 hour for CALL OF DUTY (once per week)
    - 4 hours for FAMILY (Sunday)

Crush it this week!

- LR

14. jarvisdiego

Rep Bank:
    $132
    This is what you are using for your websites?

My plan was to buy HTML templates and edit them :)

Silver Silk likes this.
  15. Maxboost

Maxboost Silver Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,369
    spin selling and open question selling are great books.

I think this is a bit reckless and the web design business is tough if you don't have a sales process in place.

jarvisdiego likes this.
  16. jarvisdiego

Rep Bank:
    $132
    Week 3
    This past week the only action I took toward my business was to fix the Contact Form on my website. I was not able to receive emails, because I was putting my personal email. Apparently, they don't let you do that for security reasons or something like that. Luckily, GoDaddy gave me a free business email, so I just had to set that up. Now, it is working perfectly ;)

I was also looking at some potential clients and thinking about niches I should look into.

That's all folks!

17. MoneyPhantom

MoneyPhantom Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $299
    Three is nothing. Make it three thousand and then let's talk again. Do you know how many of those 'We provide great web design' emails I'm getting each day from some Indian companies unsolicitedly? And how many I've answered to?

What are you doing to move forward? You cancelled your day job and have a little money left. Cash needs to start flowing in now. Don't dedicate a whole week on fixing some contact form. If it doesn't work, throw it away and use another one.

Btw, it's quite basic practice by hosting providers to not allow any sender email addresses that don't match the domain name to prevent spamming. You still have a lot to learn.

jarvisdiego, dior616 and Longinus like this.
  18. Eddie Temple

Eddie Temple Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $157
    u better start looking for a new job while you don't have a big CV gap..
    I know you won't listen, but you'll end up broke and looking for a new job anyway, about the time you stop posting updates here. so yeah.. good luck

TinyOldLady, jarvisdiego and Blu H like this.
  19. George Appiah

George Appiah Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,138
    I live in a so-called developing country with a currency a fifth of the USD. So numbers like these keep my head spinning :)

But even in the good 'ole USA...

A company that's paying $240k/year to their web design agency alone must be making a killing!

And I'm wondering... whether such companies tend to throw such an amount to a no-name web designer, or they'd rather dwell in the (assumed) safety of the mega agencies of the world.

Just wondering.

TinyOldLady and TStrike like this.
  20. Sampath

Sampath Be the Change that you want to see in this world Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $444
    .You can follow your dreams- you have every right to....@ your own risk.
    .You wouldn't know the feeling of FIRE until you experience it.
    .As long as you learn the right lessons along the way without giving up on them.
    .Only flip-side is that you can never buy back your lost TIME.
    .Intelligent people learn from their own mistakes; however WISE people learn from others mistakes,advice and perspective as well.
    Most importantly if your focus only on $1Million (money), your journey is going to be hard & guaranteed. If you can find out your real WHY, and make the learning as FOCUS, that will help you ease your journey as well as motivate you at down times. .You make a choice being intelligent or wise.
    Wish you all the very best.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    jarvisdiego likes this.
  21. BlackMagician

BlackMagician Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $396
    Dude, Good to know you are doing but mostly all these are action faking. What contact form fixing? waiting for logo? and looking for niche? i mean now after leaving your job? Well if you have lots of money (which you don't) or someone who supports your daily necessities then you are just going to burn and go back to 9-5 and will start hating doing business (some what)

What you are doing is like a Young fella, full with passion, and ignorance, made a dive from the cliff without parachute (knowledge).

as @MoneyPhantom said, you have more to learn.

I am also doing the same thing, but while keeping my job. And i have started at almost the same time you did. Its difficult buddy. If you don't have assurance then you will regret.
    Everything else is said by others here.

But if you really made progress then buddy, hatsoff to you. I will learn from you then :)
    I pray that you succeed.
    Do let us know what is happening.

TinyOldLady and jarvisdiego like this.
  22. jarvisdiego

Rep Bank:
    $132
    Week 4 & 5

Still sending emails.

No replies yet.

I haven't followed up with any of them. Will start doing from now on.

Also found out there are so many things to learn that can improve a website (copywriting, seo, etc.)

Getting a bit overwhelmed with all the information out there. I am just wasting time looking for answers online, while I could be taking action and learning from the mistakes I do.

Noticed that I am thinking too much ahead. I need to focus on getting my first free website or first sale. No need to think ahead.

By the way, my website is live now.

Getting a bit frustrated by not hearing back from people I am emailing. I am pushing and not giving up.

See you @ the top - Luis :)

23. MoneyPhantom

MoneyPhantom Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $299
    If you're looking into finding one or two clients for your portfolio, put up an ad on Craigslist. Shouldn't take long to find someone who wants to get a website for free.

TinyOldLady and dmichaelmccann like this.
  24. Hijena1

Hijena1 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $228
    It is great to hear that you have courage, but PLEASE dont leave your job befor you have something else to " hold on ".
    I was in a same situation, 3 months without job but with immense courge. Man I can tell you, first time in my life I have experienced hunger. Just my experience maybe it can help you.

I wish you a good luck in your future !!!

jarvisdiego and BlackMagician like this.
  25. jarvisdiego

Rep Bank:
    $132
    Week 6

Started following up on the emails I was sending. Still no replies.

gonna start cold-calling this coming week. I was trying to avoid them. But f*ck that, will put myself out there :)

Bought a course on javascript and bootcamp for web development on Udemy. Total of $18.

Will let you guys know how this coming week goes.

Priority for this week:
    ~ Get first client (free or paid)

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.