The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Beginner’s Workout Regime

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
Hi guys,

I count myself someone as enjoy sports every few days - swim, jog, etc. And now wanting to get into better shape systematically. Bio: Asian, 35, 174cm.

These are some of the exercise I do. I usually do 2-3 of these items each session. How did I end up choosing all these? It’s pretty random, I am thinking of not adding any for now and just increase the weight to get into the rhythm.

I’ve started this for over a month. Any kind of advice appreciated!
  1. Weight Push up 15kg each side * 10 reps, 9 sets (chair tilted upwards two clicks
  2. Standing lateral raise 8kg each side * 10-12 reps, 9 sets
  3. Squat 30 reps, 3 sets + 15 kg each side 12 reps 3, 6 sets (can add)
  4. Pull up 7 pull * 3, 3 sets
  5. Sit-up 25 reps, 9 sets (balloon or floor)
  6. Dumbbell 10kg each side * 10 reps, 3 sets + 12.5kg each side * 10 reps, 6 sets (maybe 15kg)
  7. Jogging 4.5km

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Hey! That's great that you're getting into better shape.

I don't really have much advice for you atm, because ultimately the most important thing is that you just do it. You can adjust accordingly after.

Here's some general tips I could offer though:

• Make sure you have rest days, especially if you're looking to build muscle
  • Stretch and warm up before each session
  • Stretch after, and on rest days to keep your muscles from becoming too stiff
  • Eat a healthy diet to keep your energy levels high
  • Don't lift too heavy. Use a weight that offers quite a bit of resistance that you don't need to struggle with.
  • Do cardio at least 2-3 times per week. You could even count playing a sport or going hiking as cardio.
Those are all the tips I can think of for now, I'll add any more that come to mind.

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Hey, great to see that you're working out!

I would advise you to checkout aworkoutroutine.com

I've been using it for around 8 months now and think it works really well :)

iced_steez

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 18, 2019
Keep up the good work! You have some solid, foundational exercises in there. A few things to add:
  1. Nutrition - this is the number one element for getting into shape and being able to train. Focus on eating whole foods by ensuring you're filling your plate with proteins, fibrous carbs, and starchy carbs.
  2. Increase intensity / variety - For me, I dedicate would dedicate running / weights in two separate workouts. For weights, look to add some of the bigger lifts (dead lifts, bench press, squats, rows, etc) to help overload and build muscle. It is imperative that form precedes weight. You can load up as much weight, but if the form isn't there, you will injure yourself.
  3. Consistency - you've been at it for over a month; keep up the hard work! Don't let consistency falter.
  4. Warm-up / stretch - Ensure you incorporate this into your routine
Hope this helps!

deckthehalls

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Dec 2, 2019
  1. Weight Push up 15kg each side * 10 reps, 9 sets (chair tilted upwards two clicks
  6. Dumbbell 10kg each side * 10 reps, 3 sets + 12.5kg each side * 10 reps, 6 sets (maybe 15kg)
  7. Jogging 4.5km

From the workouts that you posted, you seem to already be in decent shape .

For example, you can jog 4.5 km (roughly 2.8 miles), perform ~90 reps on both Lateral Raises and Weighted Pushups, as well as a whopping 225 REPS of sit-ups!

This means that you have a solid foundation of fitness to work off of. That's good! Now, let's take a look at how we can refine your training.

Since you've only been working out for ~30 days, I'd have to agree with @iced_steez's point about consistency. The best workout plan in the world isn't going to do crap if you don't stick with it.

That being said, it's still in your best interest to have some sort of plan.

But just like in business, before you (or anyone else) can draw up a plan, you need a clear idea of what you're aiming to achieve and why you want to achieve it.

"Getting in better shape" won't cut it. You're gonna need specifics.

Do you:
- want to look better naked?
(i.e put on muscle/shed fat)
- perform better in recreational sports?
(if so, what sports? -- your answer will have a significant impact on how you should train)
- feel better/have more energy throughout the day?

I strongly recommend sitting down with a pen/pad and just writing out everything you hope to gain by working out. Once you have a clearer idea of what you want out of training, it'll be much easier to figure out how to structure your training.

In the meantime, what I'd recommend is to INCREASE the weights you are using so that you can only perform 4-5 sets instead of the usual 9.

The most basic principle of making "gains" through training is called "progressive overload." Watch this video, it's only 2 minutes and it does a great job explaining.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7YU0-nuNSA

Hope this was helpful mate! Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions!

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
@Ninjakid I will remember to do warmups as I did in my session today :) and yes, stretch during workouts.

@Champion thanks for the link, will check it out!

@deckthehall definitely want to look better naked. I am going to try variety and go for heavier weights, eg, I can’t feel muscle sore for dumbbell lift anymore, I will try to go for 4-5 sets weight to add some variety. Yours is a detailed and organised reply! I’ll take your word and ask you more :)

@iced_steez consistency is the biggest challenge as I sometimes end up a week without access to gyms once a month due to travels, I try to do cardios and some push up/sit ups during those days, or go to the park for chin ups. Do you think it helps as it could be the variety between gyms, eg: three weeks gym access and seven days (to ten) without.

deckthehalls

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Dec 2, 2019
@deckthehall definitely want to look better naked. I am going to try variety and go for heavier weights, eg, I can’t feel muscle sore for dumbbell lift anymore, I will try to go for 4-5 sets weight to add some variety. Yours is a detailed and organised reply! I’ll take your word and ask you more :)

Thanks for the kind words!

For most people, I think looking better naked is a matter of getting LEANER. This, unfortunately, has A LOT more to do with diet than exercise. As the old saying goes, "you can't out-train a poor diet"

And please do. So many people here know way more than me about business, life, etc.

Lucky for me, the ONE thing I've been consistently obsessed with since I was young was fitness and nutrition, so I'm hoping I can give back to this forum in this area :)

@iced_steez consistency is the biggest challenge as I sometimes end up a week without access to gyms once a month due to travels, I try to do cardios and some push up/sit ups during those days, or go to the park for chin ups. Do you think it helps as it could be the variety between gyms, eg: three weeks gym access and seven days (to ten) without.

If you don't have access to the gym, pullups/chin ups, pushups, and bodyweight movements in general are you best friend.

Here's a short list of bodyweight exercises to help out when you don't have a gym available

Lower/Full Body
- Burpees (full body + cardio)
- Hanging leg raises (core + grip strength)
- Windshield wipers (core + grip strength)
- Squat Jumps (legs + cardio)
- Alternating Lunge Jumps (legs + cardio -- this one is a killer!)

Upper Body
- Bench Dips (pushing - chest/triceps)
- Pull Ups (pulling - more back than biceps)
- Chin Ups (pulling - back and biceps)
- Scapular Pull Ups - these are really good for shoulder health!
- PUSHUPS (tons of variety on these! Get creative!)

Keep in mind that with PERFECT form, you may feel like you cannot do as many REPS or SETS. That's okay! It's much better to focus on performing each and every rep with focus and intention than to just bang out a bunch of crappy reps.

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
Hey! That's great that you're getting into better shape.

I don't really have much advice for you atm, because ultimately the most important thing is that you just do it. You can adjust accordingly after.

Here's some general tips I could offer though:

• Make sure you have rest days, especially if you're looking to build muscle
  • Stretch and warm up before each session
  • Stretch after, and on rest days to keep your muscles from becoming too stiff
  • Eat a healthy diet to keep your energy levels high
  • Don't lift too heavy. Use a weight that offers quite a bit of resistance that you don't need to struggle with.
  • Do cardio at least 2-3 times per week. You could even count playing a sport or going hiking as cardio.
Those are all the tips I can think of for now, I'll add any more that come to mind.

Stretching is so crucial. Everyone please don’t skip it.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
I would add in Rows to counter push up and dips to counter pull ups. You are imbalanced regarding your horizontal push and pull, and vertical push and pull without these(missing horizontal pull and vertical push).

iced_steez

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 18, 2019
Absolutely that helps! Anything is better than sitting idle in my opinion. I travel consistently for work also, and before I travel I scope out places I can workout at. Hotels generally have a 'gym,' but are usually lackluster. I'm from the US and belong to a Planet Fitness, which has a national presence and makes it easier.
Have you tried to see if their are any local gyms that may offer a drop-in rate if you want to attend once or twice a week when you travel? Running is easy as you can go to parks as you mentioned. I would suggest checking out something like this. I'd be hard-pressed to find a place that wouldn't be accommodating, especially if you travel there consistently.

Hope some of these tips help! Don't be afraid to experiment and find out what works for YOU. Certainly reach out and ask (which is exactly what you're doing) and try different things that have been recommended. Each person is different, and that is totally okay. Happy to help out futher!

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I've stumbled across a great youtube channel lately that also has a bunch of tips you may be interested in.

He's a physical therapist named Jeff Cavaliere and the channel is called Athlean-x

Definitely the best one I've come across.

deckthehalls

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Dec 2, 2019
I've stumbled across a great youtube channel lately that also has a bunch of tips you may be interested in.

He's a physical therapist named Jeff Cavaliere and the channel is called Athlean-x

This! Jeff Cavaliere's stuff is awesome. He's respected by pretty much everyone in the youtube/social media fitness industry nowadays, which is rare.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
This! Jeff Cavaliere's stuff is awesome. He's respected by pretty much everyone in the youtube/social media fitness industry nowadays, which is rare.
Man, he's soooo good. I've become addicted to his videos. It's great to get a lot of explanations on body movement from a physical therapist and how weights training fits in with it. I seriously feel like I owe him money after watching his completely free videos lol.

As a beginner I have definitely avoided a back or shoulder injury because of watching his vids.

I actually didn't realise the amount of education that goes into being a physical therapist until recently.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Hi guys,

I count myself someone as enjoy sports every few days - swim, jog, etc. And now wanting to get into better shape systematically. Bio: Asian, 35, 174cm.

These are some of the exercise I do. I usually do 2-3 of these items each session. How did I end up choosing all these? It’s pretty random, I am thinking of not adding any for now and just increase the weight to get into the rhythm.

1. Standing lateral raise 8kg each side * 10-12 reps, 9 set
Side lateral raises? I struggled a lot with this one. No way I could do it correctly with 8kg starting out. I dropped the weight and do them as slow as possible, no momentum at all.

deckthehalls

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Dec 2, 2019
Man, he's soooo good. I've become addicted to his videos. It's great to get a lot of explanations on body movement from a physical therapist and how weights training fits in with it. I seriously feel like I owe him money after watching his completely free videos lol.

As a beginner I have definitely avoided a back or shoulder injury because of watching his vids.

I actually didn't realise the amount of education that goes into being a physical therapist until recently.

Dude, a ton of education goes into it, but Jeff is FAR beyond the typical physical therapist. He's the S&C coach for the Mets if I recall correctly.

For anyone who wants further resources, here are some great (and FREE) ones to start out with:

Mobility/Injury Prevention - Travis Brachmeyer AKA SmashWerx
This guy is a GOLDMINE of information about rehab, prehab, recovery, etc.

I know a lot of people have recommended "stretching," but proper mobility goes way beyond simple static stretches.

When I herniated my C7/T1 disc a year and a half ago, a combo of PT and this guy's youtube videos saved my BJJ career.

Exercise Selection/Information
- ATHLEAN-X
As previously mentioned, Jeff really knows his stuff.
- Omarlsuf - Overall Training (Strength Focus)
Don't be fooled by the tank top and his bro-ish look. This guy understands how to train and gives no BS info in an easy to process format.
- Mark Bell - Super Training - Overall Training Info (Strength Focus)
Mark Bell is the owner of Super Training in Sacramento, which also happens to be one of the most prestigious powerlifting/training facilities in the World. Mark is a record holding powerlifter himself, but in recent years has been shifting gears to be more functional for everyday life. Also, super entertaining.
- Carl Paoli - Gymnastics/Bodyweight stuff
His recent stuff is more mindset/motivational stuff. However, his older stuff REALLY good for bodyweight training. Carl's stuff can be kinda "crossfitty" (which some people don't like), but I for one learned a ton from his videos. He focuses a lot of "moving well" and having the proper mechanics for both basic bodyweight moves and more advanced ones.

Jazzcat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jan 3, 2013
Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex
Some good input for you already OP...congratulations on taking steps towards increased physical fitness and power...here are a few resources that may point you in the right direction toward your objectives:

Bodybuilding.com...yes they sell powders and supplements to keep the lights on...but if you drill down into the site there is a lot of useful information on weight training including an exercise library that is searchable by muscle group.

Free Exercise Videos & Guides | Bodybuilding.com

This guide from M&S delves into programming your training...whether you are doing upper/lower...opposing muscle groups...or a full body training routine...this is a nice reference...there are other helpful articles on this site as well.

The Ultimate Muscle Building Split Reference Guide

Starting Strength concentrates on basic but effective barbell training using exercises like the bench press...squat...and dead lift...using consistent and progressive loading to build strength...this isn't bodybuilding...it's strength building...no fluff here.

Starting Strength

Darebee is a user supported site dedicated to body weight based training and exercise...it provides workouts...themed programs...challenges...cardio...and they have a nutrition section as well...the only weight training programs they feature are dumbbell routines...dumbbell only weight training can be very effective...easier to do at home...and more time friendly at the gym as you can move briskly through your workout without having to wait on benches and machines to free up.

DAREBEE - Fitness On Your Terms.

I have a physician friend who recommends Bigger, Leaner, Stronger by Michael Matthews as a good resource...I recommend Becoming a Supple Leopard by Dr. Kelly Starrett...it's a big book that my ex-college American Football player/private trainer and coach son-in law uses...it's especially good for 35 yo plus lifters and physically actives to troubleshoot injuries and to help prevent them with helpful training advice.

I weight train..cardio train LISS and HIIT using varied methods including swimming and sprints...stretching and warm ups are important as are scheduled rest and recovery days and activities...I make a point of doing outdoor training as much as possible...and the sauna is a must for me.

Consistency has been mentioned and is a must if you want real results and to minimize injury and aches...most important...80 percent of physical power is built in the kitchen and through proper nutrition...find what works for you...best of luck!

Last edited:

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Hi guys,

7. Jogging 4.5km

First of all, its great that you're looking after yourself, being of healthy body will help you have a healthy mind.

Looking at your routine above (without actually seeing you perform it), it seems like you are mainly building strength, if this is your goal then great. However you might have some other goals that you haven't fully articulated yet, so you have to work out what you want, and then train to achieve that.

For instance you might want to get bigger muscles, in which case you would start off focusing on isolating muscle groups and trying to minimise any assistance from other areas.

For example, you may want bigger biceps, so you'd perform your bicep curls sitting down with your elbow on your thighs, bent forward slightly. This way you are doing your best to isolate the bicep, you may have to drop down in weight in order to complete the move, however once you got stronger, you'd increase.

On the other hand you may have started a martial art, so you want your biceps to be strong to deliver a powerful uppercut and hook. In this instance your curls would be performed standing up, thus recruiting help from your leg and core muscles and promoting stability and dynamic movement, which leads to true strength.

My favourite Youtube channel, and pretty much the only person I listen to about physical fitness online is Jeff Cavaliere of AthleanX. Whether you're in the gym or not using any weights at home, he's your man.

If you want to search him, simply put the area of the body you want to work on and AthleanX after, so for instance chest AthleanX no weights.

I have benefited hugely from following his programs, enjoy!

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
@Tourmaline I'll incorporate this two regiment soon. I almost did it today but ended up still doing chin up, push up, and sit up. Good nonetheless.

@Roli Certainly want to look good naked, I will slowly do isolation, eg: bicep curls sitting down with elbow on thighs, bent forward slightly. As said.

@deckthehalls Thanks for the list, now no-gym works too!. Also to @iced_steez Today's I increased the weight, going for less sets.
  1. Weight Push up 15kg each side * 10 reps, 3 sets; 17.5 kg each side * 10 reps, 2 sets; 20 kg each side * 10 reps, 2 sets;
  2. Pull up 9 pull 5 sets
  3. Sit-up 30 reps, 7 sets (balloon)
And ate a healthy breakfast post session! :)

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
@Tourmaline I'll incorporate this two regiment soon. I almost did it today but ended up still doing chin up, push up, and sit up. Good nonetheless.

@Roli Certainly want to look good naked, I will slowly do isolation, eg: bicep curls sitting down with elbow on thighs, bent forward slightly. As said.

@deckthehalls Thanks for the list, now no-gym works too!. Also to @iced_steez Today's I increased the weight, going for less sets.
  1. Weight Push up 15kg each side * 10 reps, 3 sets; 17.5 kg each side * 10 reps, 2 sets; 20 kg each side * 10 reps, 2 sets;
  2. Pull up 9 pull 5 sets
  3. Sit-up 30 reps, 7 sets (balloon)
And ate a healthy breakfast post session! :)

Nice! And don't forget variety, try and find new exercises you find hard and mix them into your routine. The brain is the biggest obstacle to getting fit, if it gets bored, you will slack off and eventually stop, so keep it interesting!

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
After Thursday's workout, I was totally soft. It took me two days to get back and had my next session on Sunday.

Some progressive overload, 45 minutes session:

1. Squat 10 reps * 6 sets. 17.5kg weights on each hand.
2. Weights push up 10 reps * 6 sets. 17.5kg weights on each hand. Chair was set two clicks up.
3. Pull up 8 reps * 6 sets.

Last edited:

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
Some progressive overload and variety, both lunges, push up and bicep curls are giving me new pain.

1. Lunges 10 reps (5 reps each sides) * 6 sets. 17.5kg weights on each hand.
2. Pull up 8 reps * 6 sets (using a wider grip)
3. Bicep Curl 10 reps * 5 sets (10 kg each side, two sides is 1 set)
4. aerobic - Squash
5. aerobic - Jog (Increased to 6.5K from 5.5km)
2. Weights push up 10 reps * 6 sets. 20 kg weights on each hand (body horizontal).

And I am counting calories! finally hurray!

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
Making notes: suggestions appreciated.

Sunday
6+ km jog
Pull up, 6 reps, 6 sets

Monday
6+ km jog
Push up, 25 reps, 3 sets
Leg raise, 25 reps, 3 sets

Tuesday
7+ km jog

Wednesday
6+ km jog
Push up, 30 reps, 3 sets
Leg raise, 30 reps, 3 sets

Friday
Push up, 25 reps, 4 sets
Machine Dip 61kg, 10 reps, 6 sets (less weight is harder)
Machine leg press 82 kg, 10 reps, 6 sets
Pull up 10 times, 6 sets

Saturday
Bicep curl 12.5 kg, 8 rep , 6 sets
Calf raise 12.5 kg , 20 rep, 6 sets
Leg raise, 30 reps, 6 sets
Push up 20kg , 10 reps, 6 sets

Miketing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 7, 2014
Honestly, you're not gonna make much progress with all these random isolation exercises changed up every workout. You need a set routine based around the big compound movements which you progressively overload.

You have some compounds in there, but where are your squats, bench, and deadlift? No rows, overhead press, or real dips? Where is the consistent structure?

I see people have recommended a couple good beginner routines already - aworkoutroutine and Starting Strength. These will help you gain huge amounts of strength, and therefore pack on muscle all over.

I know you don't always have access to a gym, but you could still have a consistent routine for when you don't. Look up Convict Conditioning for how to progressively overload with bodyweight exercises.

You're doing some things right, yes, but right now, you have a clear case of F*ckarounditis (edit the * to a u of course). If you want to make any serious progress, you're gonna have to do something about it.

P.S. Sets and reps can be written like 3x5 (3 sets of 5 reps)

Last edited:

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
Honestly, you're not gonna make much progress with all these random isolation exercises changed up every workout. You need a set routine based around the big compound movements which you progressively overload.

You have some compounds in there, but where are your squats, bench, and deadlift? No rows, overhead press, or real dips? Where is the consistent structure?

I see people have recommended a couple good beginner routines already - aworkoutroutine and Starting Strength. These will help you gain huge amounts of strength, and therefore pack on muscle all over.

I know you don't always have access to a gym, but you could still have a consistent routine for when you don't. Look up Convict Conditioning for how to progressively overload with bodyweight exercises.

You're doing some things right, yes, but right now, you have a clear case of F*ckarounditis (edit the * to a u of course). If you want to make any serious progress, you're gonna have to do something about it.

P.S. Sets and reps can be written like 3x5 (3 sets of 5 reps)

Thanks, very useful suggestion. After reading your comment I've broken down the exercise done since a month or two. Obviously there are lots of inadequacies, I want to get rid of the so-called F*ckarounditis. Combination-wise, I am not strict and just throw in 3 - 4 types randomly each time I hit the gym.

Chest
Dumbbell incline bench press (2 or 3 clicks up) 17.5kg 5x9
Dumbbell bench press - 22.5kg 5x10
Push up - 4x25

Upper body
Dumbbell bicep curl 10kg 5x8
Pull up 6x10
Machine dip ?
Lateral 8kg 9x12

Abs
Sit up 6x30
Leg raise 6x30
Plank - 1 min x 4 sets, 2 mins rest

Lower Body
Squat 17.5kg dumbbell each side 6 x 10
Lunges 17.5kg dumbbell each side 10 x 6 (5 reps each sides)
Machine leg press 82 kg 6 x 10
Calf raise 12.5 kg dumbbell each side 6 x 20
Machine calf raise 82 kg 5 x 20

Cardio
Jogging, Squash, Swim

Last edited:

Miketing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 7, 2014
Thanks, very useful suggestion. After reading your comment I've broken down the exercise I've done since a month or two. Obviously there are lots of inadequacies, I want to get rid of the so-called F*ckarounditis.

Chest
Dumbbell incline bench press (2 or 3 clicks up)
Dumbbell bench press
Push up

Upper body
(bicep) Dumbbell bicep curl
Pull up
Machine dip
(shoulder) Lateral raise

Abs
Sit up
Leg raise
Plank

Lower Body
Squat
Lunges
Machine leg press
Calf raise, Machine calf raise

Cardio
Jogging, Squash, Swim

Solid start. The big barbell movements which you can easily progressively overload with weight (back squat, deadlift, bench press, barbell row, overheas press) are going to give you the biggest bang for your buck, but you can still make progress with dumbells and bodyweight. The biggest factor is of course doing the exercises you enjoy enough to actually get them done.

The next step is to start following a set routine - repeat the same group of exercises on set days of the week. For guidance on volume and frequency, just check out any of the routines mentioned in my previous comment.

Then you also want to make sure you follow a progression structure for overload e.g. work up to 3x5 on a weight, then add 5kg next time you do it. You should be following the same set and rep structure each time to make sure you can track progression - not 4x6 one workout and then 2x10 the next.

If you can stick to a set group of exercises, in a set routine, with a set progression plan, you can make huge amounts of progress as a beginner in just a few months.

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
Solid start. The big barbell movements which you can easily progressively overload with weight (back squat, deadlift, bench press, barbell row, overheas press) are going to give you the biggest bang for your buck, but you can still make progress with dumbells and bodyweight. The biggest factor is of course doing the exercises you enjoy enough to actually get them done.

The next step is to start following a set routine - repeat the same group of exercises on set days of the week. For guidance on volume and frequency, just check out any of the routines mentioned in my previous comment.

Then you also want to make sure you follow a progression structure for overload e.g. work up to 3x5 on a weight, then add 5kg next time you do it. You should be following the same set and rep structure each time to make sure you can track progression - not 4x6 one workout and then 2x10 the next.

If you can stick to a set group of exercises, in a set routine, with a set progression plan, you can make huge amounts of progress as a beginner in just a few months.

1) Barbell over dumbbell I guess, for muscle growth.
2) Same reps and sets structure, progressively overload (3x5).

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
My progress table:

Current
  • Doing about 4-5 workouts a week, some days I do aerobics.
  • Lost 4kg in 40 days, and gained some muscles.
  • slowly moving towards the big compounds, and reducing stuff such as lateral raise, lunges, dumbbell bench press, etc.

To-Do
  • Increase more compound big movement such as deadlift, overhead press.
  • Create routine sets, instead of random days mix and match.
  • consistency and overload!
Suggestions and advice welcomed!

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
Continuing routine and finally also included deadlift. It gave me a tiring but great sensation, enjoying it!

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
Hi guys,

Progress report over the past 40 days. I've managed to break down my routine into two sessions. Session 1:dips, bench, row and planks. Sessions 2:squat, deadlift, pull up and one random.

Since I usually do three days and rest, and repeat, my third day is either cardio or some random sets such as barbell raise etc.

My questions are:
1) I have one more exercise that I can add into my set routine, in the "???" column, is barbell raise preferred?
2) Is my routine optimized? Should I change it or add/delete something?

Thank you guys again for sharing and for the help.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.