The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Beginner’s Workout Regime

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
Due to gym closure, this is my home workout for the past months.

Breaking it into three sessions
Session one - upper chest, arms, back
Sessions two - chest, legs
Session three - abs, triceps

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 09.05.13.png

I concocted this table randomly, with a mix and match of what's on YouTube, probably have quite a few things missing or doing it incorrectly, let me know!

My routine is 4 - 5 session a week, 4 sessions a week could be 3 gym sessions and a 5km jog (~3 miles). I average about 5:20 per km.

When I get really tired from work out I sometimes take two days of thus reducing the load to 3 times a week

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

consignia

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jul 19, 2019
I'm not a gym expert but what worked for me in building muscle was to lift that extra heavy weight in my last reps. Also nutrition is key, if you are a skinny dude like my who has it hard on gainning weight I recommend to incorporate penut butter to your diet

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
I'm not a gym expert but what worked for me in building muscle was to lift that extra heavy weight in my last reps. Also nutrition is key, if you are a skinny dude like my who has it hard on gainning weight I recommend to incorporate penut butter to your diet

When I had access to gym I do heavier weights to more reps. It's harder at home, but def with you.

I need to get rid of peanut butter, lose bit of extra fat and gain weight.

Last edited:

consignia

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jul 19, 2019
When I had access to gym I will try to do heavier weights to more reps. It's harder at home, but def with you.

I need to get rid of peanut butter, lose bit of extra fat and gain weight.

Well yes, if you have extra fat to burn then you need to avoid it at all cost. You are not like me, I started from "worm" level lol, and I don't like to eat a lot of food either so peanut butter did wonders to me.

I had never eat it before, I'm not american and it's not so popular here so when I tell people I like peanut butter they look you weird haha, but I think is great

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
The neighborhood reopened and I am back into the gym, weighing for the first time in months.

Late 30s, 5'8, small framed. While I am losing weight, I am lifting heavier and there are visible abs. I guess it's beginner's gain and will tapper off soon. I am close to a year of systemic work out, 3-4 days a week.

During quarantine I took to home workout for 2 - 3 months.

Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 08.39.24.png

Last edited:

TheFitVegan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jun 22, 2020
United States
Hi guys,

I count myself someone as enjoy sports every few days - swim, jog, etc. And now wanting to get into better shape systematically. Bio: Asian, 35, 174cm.

These are some of the exercise I do. I usually do 2-3 of these items each session. How did I end up choosing all these? It’s pretty random, I am thinking of not adding any for now and just increase the weight to get into the rhythm.

I’ve started this for over a month. Any kind of advice appreciated!
  1. Weight Push up 15kg each side * 10 reps, 9 sets (chair tilted upwards two clicks
  2. Standing lateral raise 8kg each side * 10-12 reps, 9 sets
  3. Squat 30 reps, 3 sets + 15 kg each side 12 reps 3, 6 sets (can add)
  4. Pull up 7 pull * 3, 3 sets
  5. Sit-up 25 reps, 9 sets (balloon or floor)
  6. Dumbbell 10kg each side * 10 reps, 3 sets + 12.5kg each side * 10 reps, 6 sets (maybe 15kg)
  7. Jogging 4.5km

I really want to start with this. Do you have a workout video? Some exercises I didn't properly get

Defection

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Oct 29, 2019
The neighborhood reopened and I am back into the gym, weighing for the first time in months.

Late 30s, 5'8, small framed. While I am losing weight, I am lifting heavier and there are visible abs. I guess it's beginner's gain and will tapper off soon. I am close to a year of systemic work out, 3 days a week. Except during quarantine when I took to home workout for 2 - 3 months.

View attachment 33640

Hey again @simplymoto. Good to see you're still working hard at this.

I would consider working out your body fat using something like the Navy Calculator online, can literally be done in a matter of seconds. This will give you more of an insight into your muscle/fat ratio.

I'd also take measurements maybe once every two months or so, although the scales are helpful, they never tell the full story.

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
I really want to start with this. Do you have a workout video? Some exercises I didn't properly get

I mostly watch Jeremy Ethier. He is not the biggest guy but I find his sessions more reasonable (less hype) and also scientific).

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
Hey again @simplymoto. Good to see you're still working hard at this.

I would consider working out your body fat using something like the Navy Calculator online, can literally be done in a matter of seconds. This will give you more of an insight into your muscle/fat ratio.

I'd also take measurements maybe once every two months or so, although the scales are helpful, they never tell the full story.

Thanks for the tip! I m getting a measuring tape.

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
One year anniversary!

Fitter and stronger, but still a long way to go.

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
Hi,

OP here. Bio 5’7, 38 yo, 72 kg (160lbs). It’s been ~18 months since going back to the gym.

The lockdown helped a lot to get my act together, I’ve been mainly working on compound lifts as below, about 4 - 5 times a week.
1) Barbell Deadlift 80kg 5 x 5
2) Barbell Bench 80kg 3 x 5
3) Barbell Overhead 50kg 4 x 5
4) Wide grip Pull up 6 x 5
5) Squat 80kg 4 x 5
6) Dip 5kg + body weight 5 x 5
7) random mix - dumbbell, pectoral fly, sit ups etc..
8) Cardio - jog / swim / bike

What I usually do is a 45 mins work out, with 2 - 3 of those routines.

Last edited:

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Hi,

OP here. Bio 5’7, 38 yo, 72 kg (160lbs). It’s been ~18 months since going back to the gym.

The lockdown helped a lot to get my act together, I’ve been mainly working on compound lifts as below, about 4 - 5 times a week.
1) Barbell Deadlift 80kg 5 x 5
2) Barbell Bench 80kg 3 x 5
3) Barbell Overhead 50kg 4 x 5
4) Wide grip Pull up 6 x 5
5) Squat 80kg 4 x 5
6) Dip 5kg + body weight 5 x 5
7) Cardio - jog / swim / bike

What I usually do is a 45 mins work out, with 2 - 3 of those routines, sometimes substituted by random extras (dumbell, pectoral fly, sit ups etc)

You really should be squatting and dead lifting more weight. If you're doing the same weight on all the big 3 (particularly in the 5 rep range), either you have some very strange leverages or you're not putting enough load on the DL/SQ. You'll make gains much faster by trying to squat / dead lift heavier weights.

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
You really should be squatting and dead lifting more weight. If you're doing the same weight on all the big 3 (particularly in the 5 rep range), either you have some very strange leverages or you're not putting enough load on the DL/SQ. You'll make gains much faster by trying to squat / dead lift heavier weights.
Even at my weight 160lbs, you think I should be doing heavier DL/SQ when benching 80kg/176lbs.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Even at my weight, you think I should be doing heavier DL/SQ compared to bench ?
It has nothing to do with weight. Yes, absolutely. Put more weight on that bar and get bigger / stronger as soon as possible.

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
Some updates

- I wanted to grow bigger muscle and read online that I am not hitting entropy with 5 reps, so of late I have increased to 8 reps (perhaps 10 reps soon) as I lower down my barbell weights.

- My body weight kept dropping in 2020 and I suspect I wasn't taking enough protein, hence I also started supplements :whey protein since Nov 2020 and creatine since January 2021. I am now 75 kg, my lowest was 66 kg in June 2020. that's a ~10kg (22 pound) increase in six months. Also I am 5 8' small frame.

- I am just focusing on seven compound evercise (OP, DL, SQ, BR, DIP, PU, BP), I have been mainly doing compounds for the whole 2020. I throw in some sit ups, barbells when I am bored, and the regular cardio each week.

This is how a typical week looks like, this is the most recent

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 21.17.44.png

As I approach my forties, I look and feel much better than over a year ago when I first started, but I really like to take it to the next level. Please share your experience, advice and anything you can think of!

Last edited:

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
I lost count but I've stopped working out for three weeks, I think I hit a bored period. Reverted back to jogging and cycling and should probably push myself back to the gym.

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
20 months into this self-journaling thread.

I am 173cm (5'8) and 75kg (165 lb). Still mainly focused on compounds and this is where I am at.

Bench - 70kg 10 x 3
pull up - body 3 x 3
overhead press - 40kg 8 x 3
squat - 60kg 10 x 3
deadlift - 60kg 10 x 3
Dip - 12 x 3
row - 40kg 10 x 3

And since the gym is closing down again due to the virus I plan to go HIIT for three weeks for a change, any advice appreciated.

newzzy2

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 24, 2019
simplymoto, don't you think that focus on some specific couple of exercises for the certain days would be more productive instead of making all at once? During different workouts programs, I also like to use this BMI Calculator from Muscle Madness source. It's pretty accurate, I should tell, and can help you in achieving your workout goals.

Last edited:

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
Okay so go do starting strength & then transition to 5/3/1. Variations of these 2 programs are enough to keep you going for the rest of your life. Strength/size/muscle/conditioning, these templates have you covered on all fronts.

Programming, check.

Go make sure you sleep well. Go take a walk everyday for 30 mins and make sure you are taking 2-3 days off from heavy lifting/wk. I typically like doing 3 days on, 1 day off. If you feel sore go get a massage or do some foam rolling/dynamic stretching.

Recovery, check.

Follow the Pareto principle for eating 80% healthy, 20% junk. Make sure you are getting healthy fats in your diet & adequate protein intake. Otherwise don't stress about macros. Calories matter but you don't need to track them obsessively if you are consistent with your overall diet. Gaining too much weight? Eat less than you would otherwise & vice versa. For more information read this article.

Nutrition, check.

Now put it into action:
  • Write down 3-4 meals for each course, breakfast/lunch/dinner, & some healthy snacks options you like. Mix & match these as you see fit. This is your new meal plan. Go to the grocery store and only buy this stuff. Now you won't be tempted at home. When you go out to eat just commit to eating healthier options on the menu.
  • Commit to a sleep schedule. Go to bed & wake up at the same time every day. You know how much sleep you need to feel good. If you don't then experiment for a bit & just see what works for you.
  • Commit to a workout schedule. Put your exercise blocks into your calendar. Stick to it. If you don't feel like going then stop thinking and go anyway. Too tired for a good workout? Fine, then just go through the motions. As long as you stick to the schedule you'll be fine.
Keep it simple. Don't worry about being ultra-optimized & following 20 different fitness influencers. That will do you more harm than good. If you need help or want to research then fine do it but don't get caught up in analysis paralysis. Don't think that what works for other people will work for you. Start with this template & adjust according to how you feel and what you want.

If you need help the best thing you can do is find local practitioners with good reviews and enlist their help. If you can afford it, paying a few hundred $ to learn proper exercise techniques within a few hours is a much better investment than spending 20 hours watching 'how to squat' videos for free on youtube.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.