The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My 600lb Life: Addiction, Enabling, More (RANT)

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
I used to be obese, I weighted 224 lbs I'm at 183 lbs now, and there's a night and day difference in my quality of life. I honestly don't know what prompted me to eat so much sugar and refuse to exercise.

I know how these people feel, I was on the same boat myself. I thought there was no way out, when I went out to eat with my friends I told myself "I eat less than them, so it isn't my fault", completely disregarding the unhealthy amount of sugar foods I ate at home (mostly cookies).

What I find worrying is that the number of "enablers" has grown at an alarming rate, and I am left confused when I see stuff like this. These people clearly need help, what they do not need is people to encourage them to keep up with their self-destructive behavior.

Obesity is a vicious circle, the more people are obese, the more other people find it "acceptable", since it starts to become the norm. And then stuff like the "fat acceptance movement" are born, and so on. I hope there will be a stop to this plague.

How you feel about this show and the people in it is how I feel about death in general and the entire population. I feel bad for these people for missing out on what little life they have, but in the end we all die (for now) and nobody seems to give a sh*t about that.

Obesity is an unfortunate problem, especially when it leads to early death. To me the bigger tragedy is death itself. Extending the lifespan won't solve the obesity problem, but it might help.

Some days I find it hard to get motivated when I think about the fact in another 50 years or so I'll be nothing more than a lingering thought (crossing my fingers for the Singularity though). My existence will extend as far as the legacy I leave behind, and the length of time it continues to be a legacy until the new society decides its not.

Columbus day in Oklahoma is now called "Indigenous People's Day." Not that it matters. Columbus ain't coming back whether we remember him or not.

I just want to have the choice to live and keep living. The thought that it's all coming to an end for everyone is the most frustrating, sad thought in the world. Almost as sad and distressing as the realization that virtually nobody cares and everybody on the planet is an enabler.

I find death fascinating. It's a double-edged sword, and what you make of it determines a lot of your life choices. Some people think "I'm gonna die in X years anyway, so what's the point of trying", while other people think "I'm gonna die in X years anyway, so might as well trying to get the most out of the time I have been given". Most people I know adhere to the former thought, which I find alarming. It looks like the trend in the current internet culture among people my age and younger.

Jokes about suicide, self-deprecation, and depression are the norm nowadays on the internet. Here's an example of such behaviour:

1Ku4vDj.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
What I find worrying is that the number of "enablers" has grown at an alarming rate, and I am left confused when I see stuff like this. These people clearly need help, what they do not need is people to encourage them to keep up with their self-destructive behavior.

We live in an age where being a victim is a privileged position. Just say you were discriminated because *fill in reason* and that gives you the ultimate right to burn cars, ask for handouts, discriminate others, or in this case: continue your comfortable life of self-destruction, don't worry, society will cover the costs.

Fat people are voluntarily disabled, and this group basically wants to put them on the same level as disabled. Because they believe they have no control over it.

Will we see special parkings for fat people in the coming years? I think we will.

The only real fat victims, are fat kids. They have zero control about what they eat. Parents acting as enablers are child abusers.

Last edited:

windchaser

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
May 24, 2017
Spain
The other thing that is annoying is that so much of our (American) out of control health care costs are a result of people eating tons of crap food and killing themselves. I am completely making this fact up, but I'd bet we could reduce our national healthcare spending by 50% if everyone would just get their bodyfat under 25% (which isn't exactly skinny).

Maybe it is made up but pretty sure it is not far from the truth. I was reading an article the other day that obesity (and diseases caused directly by it) is responsible for 7% of public health costs in Spain (about €5Bn). Considering health costs are way lower in Spain and that only 17% of population (less than 8 million) is obese. Imagine what could be the healthcare costs for the US...

I'd like to think that there is at least a bit of a food educational component to the problem. Some people seem to generally have no clue as to how their food input affects their health. But also much of the food available in the U.S. is crap.

These kinds of shows are sad to me because in the cases of most of these people their upbringing was the reason they got like that, nobody taught them to eat properly and control their nutritional intake, they just think more is better than less.That's why i think that because most parents are too incompetent to teach their kids about proper nutrition there should be something like food ED at school,sure that isn't optimal but its the best i can think of at the top of my head.

I agree this is a very big part of the problem and sometimes it could be even unintentional. I was raised eating Mediterranean diet and always been slim. However, when I moved to the US I started to gain weight and I didn´t know why ( I never eat junk food or even sugary drinks such as coke, maybe some occassional cookie or some chips). And then is when I started reading the labels more carefully and was shocked with the amount of crap most food contains. I cut all meat that had antibiotics or steroids (no wonder you get fat when chicken contains steroids), all cookies and crap like that (which I didn´t eat much anyway) and in 2 months I lost 20 pounds.
I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to even understand how food affects health for someone who was raised seeing that type of food everywhere.

But people aren't going to stop buying it, if it's on the shelf.
Looking at 50 yards of sugar cereal stacked side-by-side... it's an in your face social confirmation that "this is what people eat".

Spot on. I remember the first time I entered into a US grocery store, it was shocking, two aisles full of different types of sugary drinks, aisles and aisles of processed food, fake cakes... I was like: ok, where is the regular food?

You could argue that if people stopped buying it, companies would stop making it... and you'd be right.

Sometimes this happens, in Spain there was a big movement against palm oil (and sales of products containing it dropped dramatically) because of its health effects and as a consequence many food producers started removing it from its products. If demand disappears so does supply.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Whatever your thoughts on death, if you live long enough, eventually there will come a point where you're not quite so keen to keep on going.

Living beyond your mind's expiry date is far sadder than dying.

Don't want to derail the thread, so I'll just highlight this post as an example. Someone mentions a desire to have the choice of how long to live, someone else is ready to shoot it down with personal biases, beliefs, and unfounded opinions. It's not really different from what happens in people dealing with obesity.

Jack Robinson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Dec 10, 2018
I really liked what Michelle Obama was trying to get done with healthier school lunches. I thought it was a noble aspiration. I think Diet/nutrition should be incorporated into P.E.

While I was a teacher, I did notice some healthier options starting to be served in the cafeteria. The majority of which went in the trash. Kids just wouldn't eat it.

Even if the school lunch was somehow healthy, all the brown-baggers are bringing in garbage to eat, and kids just trade or share.

Well yea that was a good gesture but if you raise the kids on a diet there not gonna wanna change to a diet which is less pleasurable that the previous one and that's truly sad.
The fight against obesity needs to be fought from the day the kids are born until they learn to control themselves.

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
Don't want to derail the thread, so I'll just highlight this post as an example. Someone mentions a desire to have the choice of how long to live, someone else is ready to shoot it down with personal biases, beliefs, and unfounded opinions. It's not really different from what happens in people dealing with obesity.
I'm not "shooting down" your desire-if you want to live to 150-200 or 500/1000 whatever that's fine it's your business and maybe one day science will provide a way to live such a very long time with some decent quality of life.

I'm just telling you that expectation vs reality for that isn't quite so glamorous right now. If you don't believe me feel free to spend as much time around older people in hospitals or retirement homes as I have. My opinions aren't unfounded, they're based around the current science for people living very long lives in that same way that telling a fat person there's current no magic pill to healthily take them from 500 pounds to 180 while still eating vast quantities of junk food is a current scientific reality.

And if you simply want something of your thoughts to live on after, and idea/a school of thought whatever, at least you're better placed than the average person who has come before in terms of tools that can help achieving that.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I'm not "shooting down" your desire-if you want to live to 150-200 or 500/1000 whatever that's fine it's your business and maybe one day science will provide a way to live such a very long time with some decent quality of life.

I'm just telling you that expectation vs reality for that isn't quite so glamorous right now. If you don't believe me feel free to spend as much time around older people in hospitals or retirement homes as I have. My opinions aren't unfounded, they're based around the current science for people living very long lives in that same way that telling a fat person there's current no magic pill to healthily take them from 500 pounds to 180 while still eating vast quantities of junk food is a current scientific reality.

And if you simply want something of your thoughts to live on after, and idea/a school of thought whatever, at least you're better placed than the average person who has come before in terms of tools that can help achieving that.

The expectation vs reality isn't glamorous now, but we're not talking about now. We're talking about tomorrow, and tomorrow might mean 50 years or it might mean 10. Either way our capabilities will be drastically different from what they are today.

The mind doesn't have an expiry date. You don't reach X days old and then you die. It's a result of age-related degenerative illnesses. So the solution has more to do with curing old illnesses (which seems to be happening more and more frequently these days). The problem is that many research programs are underfunded because nobody cares because they believe that death is inevitable.

Currently there's no magic pill that you know of, and even if there isn't, it doesn't mean someone won't invent one tomorrow.

Spending time in nursing homes won't change my perspective. I've already been down the path of believing death was the only option. I challenged myself and my beliefs and what I discovered was a world of possibility that less than the 1% are aware of.

Anyway, this is the last of my responses because we'll only get more derailed from here. If you want to take a day and explore other positions, WaitButWhy.com is a good place to start.

WaitButWhy.com

scott.legendre

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
235%
Aug 5, 2013
My dad is a really heavy man and this show gave him an additional excuse to say at least I’m not as big as the people on tv.

Oh, and he also uses another great argument against healthy eating. "Hippos eat grass and look how big they are!" and of course "I’d rather die enjoying what I eat, than live eating terrible food"

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
Currently there's no magic pill that you know of, and even if there isn't, it doesn't mean someone won't invent one tomorrow.

Yeah I agree no need to derail this one as there's already the other extensive thread on the topic anyway.

I know it's something you think deeply about, so I sincerely hope for your sake that in 200 years I'm glancing down from Heaven and I see you still chugging along somehow.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
I imagine scenarios where my wife and kids die, and how my life would change, and what I would do differently

upload_2018-12-12_9-18-1.jpeg

Seriously though, I do this too. What it does is give me added appreciation for what we have everyday. I make sure the last thing I tell my kids any and every time I leave is “I love you”

To MJ’s OP, I’ll admit to watching this show occasionally, it is just a completely new level of selfishness. For want of excessive junk food, people are sacrificing precious time with their loved ones that they will never get back. Not dissimilar to mental illness though where one might view suicide as a realistic alternative with disregard for the enormous pain it would cause their loved ones.

@amp0193 is 100% right about the stark differences in grocery store set-ups in healthier countries as well. Healthcare in the US is way too big of a business to offer healthier solutions. Interesting short video of parallels between cigarette and processed foods marketing below.

Big Food Using the Tobacco Industry Playbook | NutritionFacts.org

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
They all seem to act/feel like they have no control over their life that they are like a bystander in their own life. It is crazy. And while they can't control their own habits and behaviors, these same people tend to try and control everything that is out of their control (traffic, weather, other people, politics, etc)

Poignant.

Will we see special parkings for fat people in the coming years? I think we will.

We already have this in the US. Handicap parking spaces are available for people who have eaten themselves to immobility. I find it insulting to people who are handicapped by circumstances, not choice.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
The expectation vs reality isn't glamorous now, but we're not talking about now. We're talking about tomorrow, and tomorrow might mean 50 years or it might mean 10. Either way our capabilities will be drastically different from what they are today.

The mind doesn't have an expiry date. You don't reach X days old and then you die. It's a result of age-related degenerative illnesses. So the solution has more to do with curing old illnesses (which seems to be happening more and more frequently these days). The problem is that many research programs are underfunded because nobody cares because they believe that death is inevitable.

Spending time in nursing homes won't change my perspective. I've already been down the path of believing death was the only option. I challenged myself and my beliefs and what I discovered was a world of possibility that less than the 1% are aware of.

Anyway, this is the last of my responses because we'll only get more derailed from here. If you want to take a day and explore other positions, WaitButWhy.com is a good place to start.

WaitButWhy.com

No disrespect man, truly not meant in what I am about to say.

But isn't what you said above, basically what you said below to @Veloce Grey ?

someone else is ready to shoot it down with personal biases, beliefs, and unfounded opinions

Visionary96

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Oct 23, 2018
Torquay, United Kingdom
I've been big most of the life. I was a skinny kid up until about 4th-5th grade. I was chubby all the way until mid-high school. I was still big but I was athletic and strong too. Well, after highschool my weight shot up mostly due to depression and stress. For about 15 years I hovered around 300 lbs (heaviest I ever been). Then one day back in 2014, I stepped on a scale and it said 389 lbs. I was really shocked. I hadn't noticed I had gotten so big I felt I always looked the same.

Well, in one year from that date I lost over 100 lbs and got down to about 260 lbs. I was still big but strong and had muscles. The only "fat" area on my body was my belly. Since then, I have maintained that weight. Sometimes I go up a little then go back down a little.

What I have noticed is that there is a lot of mental/emotional issues that surround weight loss. See, some of these people that are extremely obese are being kept there because their emotional health and their idea of self-worth is rock bottom. The thing with me is that even though I physically lost all that weight, I still felt like a fat worthless guy. This was due to all the abuse/teasing/mocking I got all throughout my life. And society/media does a bad job with making people feel unworthy too. And you know, lots of women were interested in me and still are. But, I am avoidant mostly because how I feel about who I am. Which is false in itself.

My goal is to be around 250lbs or so. A very healthy/athletic/muscular build. But I think a part of me fears success or something. I think I purposely prevent myself from reaching this goal. And I think it comes down to feeling like I don't deserve it. And that I am still this fat worthless guy. Anyway, the point is, with weight and just about any challenge people face, the emotional/mental side of it is the hardest part. In order to get through and overcome ANY challenge, how you feel inside has to change first. You have to feel you are deserving to receive good things. Especially, if you put in hard work.

I was a pretty chubby kid in school and you know it does take a toll with all the mocking you endure even now at 22. I am lean now mostly due to having a major growthspurt at 18 and am currently lean bulking well and I am far more self concious about my body now which I suppose is a good thing as I never ever want to be mocked about my weight ever again, its a truly awful feeling. I sometimes wonder if I never had that growthspurt if I would of just kept eating and eating due to feeling sorry for my self all the time.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
First, every obese person is an addict ... addicted to junk food, sugar, dairy (cheese), meat products, and processed food. THERE ISN'T A VEGETABLE IN SIGHT.

Not one subject was addicted to apples, kale, quinoa, or bananas.
I'm addicted to certain fruits like grapes and mangoes. And bananas.

That's why I only take half-portion, and let someone else have the rest.

It pretty sad that the world is full of good, natural food that is more real and rich than a bag of chips and candy, and yet the folks choose the worst of them. Why do we choose bad, sad things?

Some actually take their fruit with SUGAR or CREAM. Why they would kill off the natural sweetness in favour or artificial taste is beyond me.

I can understand though why many folks hate eating vegetables. Western cuisine does not have a lot of condiments or spices to spike up the flavour of vegetables, as Asia does (as far as I know). That is why the spice trade was very vibrant historically. But then again, how many mums and cooks in general would go out of their way to learn better cooking/sauce techniques to make vegetables more tasty than just tasteless boiled crap?

I'd like to think that there is at least a bit of a food educational component to the problem. Some people seem to generally have no clue as to how their food input affects their health. But also much of the food available in the U.S. is crap. I was walking around Costco yesterday and realized that I would not even consider putting about 90% of the available food there in my cart or body. It is just garbage. Then you see people walking around there looking fat, sad, and sick and you look in their cart and are not surprised. I kind of wanted to yell at people "WTF are you thinking? Put that stuff back on the shelf!" The other thing that is annoying is that so much of our (American) out of control health care costs are a result of people eating tons of crap food and killing themselves. I am completely making this fact up, but I'd bet we could reduce our national healthcare spending by 50% if everyone would just get their bodyfat under 25% (which isn't exactly skinny).
I was reading somewhere that the food pyramid we have is actually WRONG.

Instead of this:
Fdpyramid-539x300.gif

We should have this:
1aa158ec463d91ed4ca475a4e6d32211--food-pyramid-dr-oz.jpg

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
On an Entrepreneurial note, here's someone attempting to address the problem...

View: https://youtu.be/Wcw5P4FVSaw?t=230

3:50 if you want the most poignant part (although the whole video is eye-opening).

Most people think this guy is selling a morbid fantasy; the grease-coated dreams of the 600lb bed-ridden (massively gluttonous burgers), but his message is actually quite compelling.

His stance is that he's there to play Devil's Advocate; exercising his right as an American to provide any service he wants (as long as it's legal). His message is that you don't need to come to his restaurant. You don't need to buy his burgers. You have the choice to buy what you want, and that by going to him (which he claims is no different than going to the likes of McDonalds), you're actively making the choice to harm your body.

Unfortunately, the message isn't delivered that well (he's blended it with hot hostesses and other stuff), but once you get down to it - it's profound. Unlike McDonalds and other processed food vendors - his restaurant is 100% transparent about the health risks. You eat there at your own risk.

Whilst quite a grotesque display of marketing prowess, it's an incredibly intuitive one (somewhat akin to "before + after" meth mugshots); a reminder that we ALL have the choice to eat where we want. Just because you're eating greasy McChicken burgers today doesn't mean you have to eat them tomorrow.

But as with most things, I think most people have failed to grasp the core message and have instead embraced its "carnival" culture. Either way, it aptly demonstrates the core issues that MJ highlighted.

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
People go their whole life trying not to think about death. I think about it all the time. I imagine scenarios where my wife and kids die, and how my life would change, and what I would do differently. I really like the philosophy of Stoicism which gets into this kind of thing. It lets you be at peace with how sh*tty and random life can be.

I do this as well. I was watching several terminal cancer patients on YouTube because of it (both of whom have now passed), often consider what would happen if I developed such an illness and do as much as possible to avert it.

TinyOldLady

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
omg, if I use the metaphor "informational fat", then this is me in the picture :arghh:
(obviously you become "informationally fat", if you consume too much information, without doing anything useful with it).
I can imagine that, as @lowtek said, when you get that far with the problem, the way back is too long and it's easier to go on. Also if you start to get thinner, you will blame yourself for not having done it earlier. This can be very painful. You will probably hate yourself for destroying your body, because you'll prove to yourself that it was avoidable. So no good feelings are connected to the thought of becoming healthy.
(am I talking about myself here again?:arghh:)

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
I was reading somewhere that the food pyramid we have is actually WRONG.

Oh, yes!!!!!!!! It's terrible. It's basically saying we should be eating something like 11 slices of bread a day. :oops: But, then, that's the government, so it's what I'd expect. :thumbsdown:

This thread is really interesting and food is a fascinating subject. I think a big part of the bad food people eat is convenience and lack of knowledge. Even if I'm busy, I'm at home a lot, so I do plenty of chopping, etc. and cook in batches, so I can pull already cooked meat out of the freezer, or throw together a soup in 5 minutes with previously chopped and/or cooked frozen ingredients. Maybe if people could give up a couple hours of TV and chop enough vegetables for the week?

Doctors, etc, tell people to eat healthy and what foods to pick, but they don't really ever give practical advice, like chop and freeze, etc. Who's going to go to the grocery store and buy and chop and cook after a long day when they are busy?

I think getting home delivery plus pre-chopping/cooking, etc is a huge thing, and should be emphasized more.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
Here's a funny paradox: personal choice is the highest principle, so everyone chooses convenience over principle.

It's like that old riddle about democracy: what if the people vote for a tyrant?

The mechanics of obesity, energy regulation, food intake are complex. It's tricky stuff even in a single body, and it's hard to separate the biology from all kinds of psychological and social factors.

(Does any choice occur in a vacuum, like stepping out of history and nature and Deciding by force of supernatural will? Do you eat alone? Why or why not? Etc.)

I'm not sure that chalking it up to either personal responsibility or blameless impersonal forces quite gets to the heart of it.

Choice of the most worthy option over the convenient requires valuing better over easier...and in a culture which is structured around convenience from the ground up, the field of choices is already skewed.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Really? Do you know the definition of a tyrant?

The US hasn't seen one yet.

Edit: Not trying to digress the thread, or delve into politics, and this isn't so much a political issue as it is a human rights issue, but the USA hasn't known tyranny. It most likely will never know tyranny without a major civil war... Merely disputing an opinion.

Last edited:

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
There is no doubt in my mind that these people are experiencing some kind of emotional pain.

Nobody does this to themselves "by choice".

The food is their way to cope with this pain. Food temporarily removes the pain then it repeats.

Sure, I get the idea of self-responsibility. But these people need more self-awareness.

Judging people because somehow they have all the free will in world doesn't do anybody any good.

We are all guilty of this kind of behavior at some point we just express it differently. Some people become alcoholics, smoke, or eat etc.

There is no doubt in my mind that the *REAL* solution to this problem is a combination of self-awareness/emotional integration which then leads to more rational ideas about ourselves and the the world(food).

Someone who is healthy see food and goes "Huh why would I drink a coke it causes health problems".

Someone who is fat says "I feel pain and need to escape!, that coke makes me feel good!"

So in a way both a fat and healthy person are doing the same thing and just doing what they can to avoid pain and survive. It's just that one of them has lost direction.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
There is no doubt in my mind that these people are experiencing some kind of emotional pain.

Nobody does this to themselves "by choice".

The food is their way to cope with this pain. Food temporarily removes the pain then it repeats.

Sure, I get the idea of self-responsibility. But these people need more self-awareness.

Judging people because somehow they have all the free will in world doesn't do anybody any good.

We are all guilty of this kind of behavior at some point we just express it differently. Some people become alcoholics, smoke, or eat etc.

There is no doubt in my mind that the *REAL* solution to this problem is a combination of self-awareness/emotional integration which then leads to more rational ideas about ourselves and the the world(food).

Someone who is healthy see food and goes "Huh why would I drink a coke it causes health problems".

Someone who is fat says "I feel pain and need to escape!, that coke makes me feel good!"

So in a way both a fat and healthy person are doing the same thing and just doing what they can to avoid pain and survive. It's just that one of them has lost direction.
I agree with you, except that it is "not by choice." Everyone always has a choice.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

My issue is with the people and systems around the obesity epidemic. They system is designed for obesity -- and then when these people try to fix their problems, every part of the system is there to tempt them... the Wendys on the corner, the overweight sister who can still walk, the TV commercials for endless sweets, fats, and processed food... it's a never ending barrage.

The futility of it all is like living as a fish and then suddenly being told you can't live in the water any longer.

Alcoholics don't get clean living and working in the distillery. Scripted culture has set us up for failure.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Who's going to go to the grocery store and buy and chop and cook after a long day when they are busy?

You bring up an interesting point.

I wonder how bad the diet is in other work-obsessed countries, and if long expected work hours has something to do with it.

Convenience food has definitely eroded the cooking skills of america.

I end my workday at 4:00 most days, so I can get home put together a home-cooked meal for the family, and spend a little more time with the kids. I haven't learned to batch yet like you do, but every meal does generally yield leftovers for at least one more meal.

A good litmus test for how healthy your meal was... how long did it take to clean up the kitchen afterwards?

Last edited:

whiz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
Nov 29, 2017
New Jersey
How you feel about this show and the people in it is how I feel about death in general and the entire population. I feel bad for these people for missing out on what little life they have, but in the end we all die (for now) and nobody seems to give a sh*t about that.

Obesity is an unfortunate problem, especially when it leads to early death. To me the bigger tragedy is death itself. Extending the lifespan won't solve the obesity problem, but it might help.

Some days I find it hard to get motivated when I think about the fact in another 50 years or so I'll be nothing more than a lingering thought (crossing my fingers for the Singularity though). My existence will extend as far as the legacy I leave behind, and the length of time it continues to be a legacy until the new society decides its not.

Columbus day in Oklahoma is now called "Indigenous People's Day." Not that it matters. Columbus ain't coming back whether we remember him or not.

I just want to have the choice to live and keep living. The thought that it's all coming to an end for everyone is the most frustrating, sad thought in the world. Almost as sad and distressing as the realization that virtually nobody cares and everybody on the planet is an enabler.

Not to derail but why is death a tragedy?

And why does it matter if you "leave a legacy" or whatever? Why do you need to be more than a "lingering thought"?

I find that these type of thoughts are just an extension of our social & psychological needs that helped us survive until now (especially males).

You don't have to be bound by them or feel bad or stressed or anxious or whatever.

I find it very freeing to know that nothing really matters if you extend the timeline long enough...

I dunno. Maybe I read this wrong but it seems like a bleak stance on death.

I find that acknowledging all this kinda stuff makes me way more thankful and appreciative then I could ever be. That's why I could never eat myself to be 600 lb... or spend my life worrying about useless bullshit, stupid fights, gossip, etc

I'm here due to a string of insanely random events (I think...), I don't understand why anything exists at all - but I'm here and the experience is pretty cool so screw it, I'm gonna live... and when I die, well... I die.

Nothing good about it, nothing bad about it.

The only thing I really like about the idea of a legacy is that it motivates people. I really don't care about the ego aspect of it all...

It would just be cool to live a life that makes the average quality of life on Earth a little better... and in doing so, you might inspire the next generation, and so on, and so forth.

Basically, I like the idea of legacy because I wouldn't be anywhere without my own role models. I would be a mess. So I kinda owe it to become a role model myself...

But yeah, on a long enough timeline nothing matters and everything will be forgotten

But the whole idea that anything exists just boggles my mind so I'm just thankful to experience this stuff

So I'm gonna try to remain under 600 lbs

End rant

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Scripted culture has set us up for failure.

Yeah true.

I see what you mean.

The sad part is that there are groups or individuals that will vehemently defend the script.

Everywhere you look money is being poured to keep this going.

There are forces out there that say "How dare you say a Coke or a college degree is bad for you".

There is a reason why these kind of things have been going on for so long because there is someone fighting to keep it going. And generally the public is not very aware of how these things work.

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX
I was absolutely sickened to see the mother of this man bring him whatever he wants.
I can't imagine doing that to my kids, or to my parents. My dad just got out of the hospital due to heart problems. My parents are now eating a no-salt diet, but they don't want to change the Christmas menu. Guess what? I am in charge of cooking the turkey, and I am not putting salt on it. I don't care if it doesn't taste as good to everyone else. Two people at the party have congestive heart failure. I don't put nuts in cookies because some of my nieces and nephews have nut allergies, and we should have the same consideration for the people with heart problems.

I always like to observe people in the supermarket and look at people´s carts: why is it that the fit person has mostly vegetables and healthy food and the fat one has it full of junk and processed food? But sure it is easier to say it is hormonal or genetic.
I like to observe the clientele at restaurants, too, and the employees (who probably eat a meal there while on shift). There's a big difference between patrons of The Potato Patch and Salata.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.