The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My 1000th Post.. LOSE THE JOB, NOW!!!

Nathan Douglas

BB
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
May 23, 2014
Texas
When both of my parents died of cancer, both a few years around 50, 2 years apart from each other, I literally said F*ck this. (Excuse my language)

If we are here to live, work and die, I refuse to do it for someone else's dream while they are stuffing their pockets in exchange for my time. With that being said, I quit my job and I have been happy ever since. I am starting a company in an industry that is growing tremendously.

I agree with what Jack has said. Lose the job. You're here on this forum because you want to be in the fastlane and have your freedom back right? All I have ever heard my pops talk about before he died is how he wished he would of done something bigger with his life. Do something bigger.

That is all I have to say.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
To just quit your job and leave your responsibilities for a dream, is admirable and stupid at the same time, depending on the outcome.

But this vastly increases the odds of your final state being admirable. You'll never see someone run faster or farther at the track for fun than they do when a lion is chasing them. That lion is "want," it's huger and homelessness and debt. Sometimes to find out how fast you are, you've gotta let something bad chase you.

G

GuestUser113

Hindsight bias?

To just quit your job and leave your responsibilities for a dream, is admirable and stupid at the same time, depending on the outcome.

tumblr_m83za4OJvo1rrzwcgo1_1280.jpg

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
Last night I happened to catch part of the Dark Knight Rises on HBO. The following scene reminded me of this thread...

Blind Prisoner: You do not fear death. You think this makes you strong. It makes you weak.

Bruce Wayne: Why?

Blind Prisoner: How can you move faster than possible, fight longer than possible without the most powerful impulse of the spirit: the fear of death.

Bruce Wayne: I do fear death. I fear dying in here, while my city burns, and there's no one there to save it.

Blind Prisoner: Then make the climb.

Bruce Wayne: How?

Blind Prisoner: As the child did. Without the rope. Then fear will find you again.

Ripster

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 29, 2014
Jack, this is probably the most motivating story I've ever read. Thank you for sharing your experience! :cool:

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Went to Cali, Came across something I really wanted to start, a great idea, an industry I knew 0 about. I just smelled money

Great Story! Found this quote pretty impressive.

Gravy South

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Amazing story! I love how you had the guts to cross all the barriers and took a huge risk, knowing that if you fail then you would lose everything.

Circles

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jul 1, 2014
Santa Clara
View attachment 4713

Booked that this weekend. I have some online pursuits I'll be pursuing full time along with anything else, and I'm heading to Bali/Vietnam/Thailand to pursue it. Mainly for the value of the money and the time it will give me (all day/all night).

It's not ASAP but it's good enough. 6 months baby.

Good post.

Hi Djax06,

I just recently traveled to Vietnam in pursuit of my own business venture. Not sure if this would be helpful, but would just like to say some of the things that I targetted on my trip.

1) Trade shows ( Traveled during the time of the trade expo related to the area I was interested)
2) Meet a factory owner ( I was able to meet a factory owner through a friend which she spent a few hours walking me through the sourcing procedures to brand a product).
3) Meet somehow local who knows the "politics". This is hard to explain, but for my venture I needed someone who can pull some strings.
4) Meet someone who already has a foreign business in Vietnam. Spent a few hours over dinner with some peeps working for a German company based in Vietnam and went through all the issues they had with government interferring.

Just a note, I'm a complete rookie and this is my first business venture so do please take everything I'm saying with a grain of salt. You might know all of this already but I just wanted to throw it out there.

-Good Luck

Last edited:

Creatingnow

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Aug 14, 2014
Last night I happened to catch part of the Dark Knight Rises on HBO. The following scene reminded me of this thread...

Blind Prisoner: You do not fear death. You think this makes you strong. It makes you weak.

Bruce Wayne: Why?

Blind Prisoner: How can you move faster than possible, fight longer than possible without the most powerful impulse of the spirit: the fear of death.

Bruce Wayne: I do fear death. I fear dying in here, while my city burns, and there's no one there to save it.

Blind Prisoner: Then make the climb.

Bruce Wayne: How?

Blind Prisoner: As the child did. Without the rope. Then fear will find you again.

My favorite scene from that movie. I watched it again recently and was impacted by the lesson of climbing without the rope. I've been working on my side projects for years while using my job as my security. The progress has been steady but not like would be if I operated without a rope.

garysvpa

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jul 23, 2014
Let me tell you a story, This is 1989 early 1990..

I was working two jobs, throwing newspapers in the morning starting at 330 AM. and working at a warehouse during the day getting off at 7PM.. Worked my a$$ off and sadly had obligations to keep working, My dad died and left us in a ton of debt, so I had to carry the house, support my mother and brother, that is why the two jobs, had to keep them, had to make the money. No choice.

All the while business ideas were going through my head like crazy, everyday another idea, another thought, another angle, Said to myself, I should start this, I should start that. How could I though, I had bills. I can't quit. No way.

Maybe I can work some of them on the side, which I did, got friends to do their part, never worked, Why? Cause I was working and could not be there and friends doing your biz on the side. Failure after failure.

One day A friend of mine said we should go to Cali and check out the scene. Try taking a week off from Newspapers. It's a 7 day a week job, everyday. 3 years straight I had not taken a day off.. 3 years.. think about that. Now the manager was all upset I wanted to take a week off. wow..

Went to Cali, Came across something I really wanted to start, a great idea, an industry I knew 0 about. I just smelled money.. But for all my excitement, After the week was over, went back to work. had to, had no choice, getting up at 3 am, getting off at 7PM. Went on for like a month or two, realized this is my life, and this will be my life forever.

That moment, Decided I was going to quit, move to Cali and pursue the idea. Had no money to start it. Nothing.

When I told my Managers they were like, your going to start your own business... it will never work, (like they knew) told my mom, she basically cried and yelled at me for a week on how she was going to be living on the street in a few months, she even was nice enough to have every relative call me and tell me I was a bum for leaving her with nothing.

I lied , told her don't worry I will make enough money to cover the bills in a month.. Did I know if that was true, I had no idea, I had barely enough gas to Get to Hollywood.

Turns out, My idea actually worked, and I made a lot of money.. Millions in fact, Bought my mom a nice house, Paid for trips for her to go around the world on cruises and vacations.

The reality is though. I could still be that guy working, thinking of ideas... Planning for the day... that will never come..

Don't be that guy.. Lose the job, Fight to make it work.. and it will. Do it today.

Great post! Very inspirational...

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
I need some motivation to quit my job. Got 70k in student loans coming up in 2 months with $1000 monthly payments, making $12/hour which will cover it yet leave me with nothing left over really. A few hundred. Sick of stocking groceries, I did it for 5 years thru college and didn't expect I'd do it full time after college.

im getting so pissed lately with crappy demanding management, I almost feel like just walking out, no two weeks notice. It's a Damn grocery store. Can't do this all my life, feel like the newspaper boy in the OP. But for 45 hours a week it helps me to get by and food, considering I got $1k saved up I don't think I can take the plunge. But I could quit and find another job. Need some others thoughts....

SCC

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Aug 25, 2013
New Zealand
I need some motivation to quit my job. Got 70k in student loans coming up in 2 months with $1000 monthly payments, making $12/hour which will cover it yet leave me with nothing left over really. A few hundred. Sick of stocking groceries, I did it for 5 years thru college and didn't expect I'd do it full time after college.

im getting so pissed lately with crappy demanding management, I almost feel like just walking out, no two weeks notice. It's a Damn grocery store. Can't do this all my life, feel like the newspaper boy in the OP. But for 45 hours a week it helps me to get by and food, considering I got $1k saved up I don't think I can take the plunge. But I could quit and find another job. Need some others thoughts....
Doesn't sound like you need any motivation at all :)

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Doesn't sound like you need any motivation at all :)

I have work at 8am in the morning, I'm thinking of just not showing up. I'm SO ON THE EDGE. I live at home with my parents, and can work with them if need be, or easily pick up a part time retail job somewhere, but it wouldn't pay the loans. The problem is my grandmother cosigned so I do not want to F*ck her over with repayments. But I could find a real full time job (degree in small business management, earn probably 35k-40k a year instead of 24k).

The pros though is that there is a lot of person to person interaction in this current job, lots of hot girls, rich town, its a small premium grocery store start up, so I've learned a lot. Probably more to learn. Alot of physical labor, which I find a good thing (not sitting on my a$$ all day).

Decisions to decisions...

SCC

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Aug 25, 2013
New Zealand
I have work at 8am in the morning, I'm thinking of just not showing up. I'm SO ON THE EDGE. I live at home with my parents, and can work with them if need be, or easily pick up a part time retail job somewhere, but it wouldn't pay the loans. The problem is my grandmother cosigned so I do not want to F*ck her over with repayments. But I could find a real full time job (degree in small business management, earn probably 35k-40k a year instead of 24k).

The pros though is that there is a lot of person to person interaction in this current job, lots of hot girls, rich town, its a small premium grocery store start up, so I've learned a lot. Probably more to learn. Alot of physical labor, which I find a good thing (not sitting on my a$$ all day).

It sounds like you have plenty of options but are in a bit of rut as to which direction to take. I'm not trying to be a dick but what I would do is take a few days off, maybe revisit TMF book and really come up with a game plan. I am no millionaire fastlaner yet and find it hard to give advice other then to let you know what I would do, but yeah I would take some time off and reflect and make a new plan.
hopefully someone else can give you some better advice.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
It sounds like you have plenty of options but are in a bit of rut as to which direction to take. I'm not trying to be a dick but what I would do is take a few days off, maybe revisit TMF book and really come up with a game plan. I am no millionaire fastlaner yet and find it hard to give advice other then to let you know what I would do, but yeah I would take some time off and reflect and make a new plan.
hopefully someone else can give you some better advice.

There is no time off to be had in my situation, small department and everyone is needed. But yeah I will revisit TMF , and I know the new motto here is "don't foolishly quit too soon" or don't quit until your side income is enough to pay the bills, but my only bills are my cell and student loans. I have food and house, electricity, computer. I've worked with the same company for 5-6 years and they are just loading up the responsibility on me, setting strict goals to meet, and harping at every opportunity. The situation is turning from an enjoyable job where I sharpen my skills to all out slave labor. I do need to come up with a game plan before I quit, and am in the process of writing 3 ebooks, but not expecting immediate success from them.

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....

Not to rub salt on your wounds, but you'd probably get more suggestions if you start your own poor me thread.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Not to rub salt on your wounds, but you'd probably get more suggestions if you start your own poor me thread.

You can F*ck off.

There's no "poor me" vibe anywhere in my body thank you very much. I'm loving life and am in a great situation, but sometimes there's some cognitive dissonance whether or not to stay win the job or go all out on the fast lane. Which is relevant to this thread. Thank you.

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
You can F*ck off.

There's no "poor me" vibe anywhere in my body thank you very much. I'm loving life and am in a great situation, but sometimes there's some cognitive dissonance whether or not to stay win the job or go all out on the fast lane. Which is relevant to this thread. Thank you.

I would say stick with the job or get a new job. But don't end up with no cash flow. I don't know your story but I'm assuming you don't have a business up and running generating cash. Until you get sales, you don't have a business. So you would basically be quitting your job to have more time to do absolutely nothing except sit at home and mentally masturbate on ideas (exactly what I did).

Learn what you can from the job, give it your best. If you can, find a job in a start-up or somewhere you can work closely with the owners and learn + get paid. And honestly, don't just not show up one morning if you do quit. Even if you hate the management, try to understand it from their point of view. "You can't make millions with a minimum wage mentality" said by someone (I think MJ).

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....
You can F*ck off.

This is not your thread to tell me off.

There is not an ounce of value I've gained from your posts, nor did you offer any gratitude to the OP, and you haven't shared any solution to your situation.

All I see from your posts are I,I,I,me,me,me. I'm just suggesting that if you need input for your particular situation, it is best to make your own thread.

You may think that your situation is relevant here, but I can't imagine when everyone with their individual problems coming onto a GOLD'ed thread to talk about it and dilute the thread of it's value. That's it I'm done, it feels like I've already tainted this thread posting this.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Wow, really happy you persevered and pulled through. I'm sure a lot of people swoon over your "luck," forgetting your struggle before.

Congratulations, keep it going and thanks for sharing your story.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
There's no "poor me" vibe anywhere in my body thank you very much.

There is plenty, once you learn to see that you can get over it and make your decision.

That's not cognitive dissonance, that's fear. Get over it, quit making excuses and blaming grandma. Good luck.

Twista

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Oct 13, 2013
Alabama
This is great, Jack! Thanks for sharing. I've been on this forum for a year now and I've learned so much than I have in my high school career. I've learned that you just can't read books or websites, you have to get up and take action. It doesn't matter what product you have (quality matters), it matters about the process you do and the need in the marketplace.

Darko Jocic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 14, 2014
Serbia
I'm going to do a tattoo of a shark on my hands, as a fastlane commitment.

Firstly, because it will remind me of my conviction to be a shark, not a guppy. Secondly, because it will keep me far, far away from a decent job, hence putting me into fertile fastlane ground. It's the commandment of need. If there's no need in the market, a business fails. If there's no need in the creator, no creation happens.

By the way, It'll look boss as hell :D

Austin Sarwar

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Mar 22, 2015
Florida
Great post great inspiration I can't wait to have that idea that allows me to lose this job. Thanks for posting this

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.