The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My 1000th Post.. LOSE THE JOB, NOW!!!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
lets say 5000$ per month
Why so much?
Where did this number come from?

One thing is to replace minimal living expenses, another completely different is to replace your high paying salary and cover cable TV and 5 iPhone monthly expenses.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MamaD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 5, 2011
Maryland
Awesome story, Jack. Thanks for sharing.

I did that once. Bet on myself. I didn't move for a "financial" opportunity but more of a "life experience". Best experience ever. I'm all set to do it again but this time with planning. At some point in life, you have to get tired of the "What Ifs".

Thanks again

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
I didn't see many questions on this so:

That moment, Decided I was going to quit, move to Cali and pursue the idea. Had no money to start it. Nothing.

I am curious what was your approach in getting it off the ground with nothing? Was it a service business or a similar approach described in your call with products?

Went to Cali, Came across something I really wanted to start, a great idea, an industry I knew 0 about. I just smelled money.

Interested to hear how you judged this opportunity. Were there others making big money in the same business? Did you test the idea out first or did you just roll the dice?

Oztrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 9, 2013
I didn't see many questions on this so:

I am curious what was your approach in getting it off the ground with nothing? Was it a service business or a similar approach described in your call with products?

Interested to hear how you judged this opportunity. Were there others making big money in the same business? Did you test the idea out first or did you just roll the dice?

Amazing guy.
I'd be interested in this too Jack. Understand your busy. I don't want spoon feeding but I struggle with identifying opportunities. What are the signals in your mind that scream opportunity. Most that leap out are in saturated markets...well at least it seems that way. Thanks

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
Love the post. Very inspirational.

I am glad you made it buddy. It shows with dedication and necessity great things are achievable.

From Lagron

lewis_humble

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 18, 2013
Atlanta, Ga
The reality is though. I could still be that guy working, thinking of ideas... Planning for the day... that will never come..
Don't be that guy.. Lose the job, Fight to make it work.. and it will. Do it today.

Love this guy!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thread marked GOLD. (+$100 rep)

Last edited:

OMEK

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Oct 7, 2012
Very motivational & inspirational! Thank you Jack!

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Jack your "why" was pretty strong.

#1 you had an entrepreneurial spirit screaming inside you for 3 years. #2 momma on the street because my idea sucks? Oh heck naw, not on my watch!!!!

Those two things propelled you to success. Oh, and, maybe the stars were a little aligned in your favor with the right business idea, at, the right time, with a hungry customer base to kill it in 30 days.

Thank "G" momma aint homeless, (and she got to eat steak :) )

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Such a inspiring story.

drilonnn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 2, 2014
You post a thread and then you dont reply to the questions the users are asking.

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
936%
Jun 7, 2008
You post a thread and then you dont reply to the questions the users are asking.
Hey Drilonnn, how about you stop waiting to be handed the secret sauce of life? The secret sauce is already in everyone's fridge. It is hidden behind several boxes of leftovers and unsavory foods. You may not want to wade through these "tough-to-eat" items, but you need to eat them (the process) to get to the secret sauce (the event).

Stop focusing on events and start focusing on the processes to get to the events. It does not matter how long it took Jack to become profitable, or what the idea was, or where he found his suppliers / employees...what MATTERS is that he took action without concerning himself of the consequences.

I would venture to guess 95% of people would still not take this path if Jack handed them a step by step process, a list of suppliers and $10,000 in seed capital. People are LAZY. People are driven by EVENTS and not process. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Or just open your refrigerator and start working for that "secret sauce" so everyone can ask you for a step-by-step guide to being awesome.

What an ignorant bump to a great thread.

/end rant. Tired of people focusing on events.

j_lpz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 26, 2014
Jack, thank you for this post. It confirms my belief that hard work, perseverance in the face of whatever circumstances will eventually lead to success.

snoop

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Apr 25, 2014
California

Why should he reply? The answer is in The POST! Grab your BALLS if
You have any or whatever you have if your the opposite sex and go and do something!

If you read carefully , the idea this millionaire had is irrelevant. If you don't have a idea or a flow of ideas you belong working for me! Or any one of these aspiring entrepreneurs!

The answer is in the post. Find your idea, go to where the market is, feel it out. If it feels good drop it all go all IN! What do you have to lose? If your not willing to lose it ALL your not willing to achieve it all..

Small sacrifice brings small dividend . You decode the rest.

LiveTheWay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Feb 18, 2014
Middle of New York State
Hindsight bias?

To just quit your job and leave your responsibilities for a dream, is admirable and stupid at the same time, depending on the outcome.

I think it also depends on where you are starting from. If you have two crap jobs as the OP did, where is the downside? You can always just go get another warehouse job somewhere. One nice thing about being at the bottom is that you don't have very far to fall.

yulthebull

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Jan 18, 2012
CA
This is
Let me tell you a story, This is 1989 early 1990..

I was working two jobs, throwing newspapers in the morning starting at 330 AM. and working at a warehouse during the day getting off at 7PM.. Worked my a$$ off and sadly had obligations to keep working, My dad died and left us in a ton of debt, so I had to carry the house, support my mother and brother, that is why the two jobs, had to keep them, had to make the money. No choice.

All the while business ideas were going through my head like crazy, everyday another idea, another thought, another angle, Said to myself, I should start this, I should start that. How could I though, I had bills. I can't quit. No way.

Maybe I can work some of them on the side, which I did, got friends to do their part, never worked, Why? Cause I was working and could not be there and friends doing your biz on the side. Failure after failure.

One day A friend of mine said we should go to Cali and check out the scene. Try taking a week off from Newspapers. It's a 7 day a week job, everyday. 3 years straight I had not taken a day off.. 3 years.. think about that. Now the manager was all upset I wanted to take a week off. wow..

Went to Cali, Came across something I really wanted to start, a great idea, an industry I knew 0 about. I just smelled money.. But for all my excitement, After the week was over, went back to work. had to, had no choice, getting up at 3 am, getting off at 7PM. Went on for like a month or two, realized this is my life, and this will be my life forever.

That moment, Decided I was going to quit, move to Cali and pursue the idea. Had no money to start it. Nothing.

When I told my Managers they were like, your going to start your own business... it will never work, (like they knew) told my mom, she basically cried and yelled at me for a week on how she was going to be living on the street in a few months, she even was nice enough to have every relative call me and tell me I was a bum for leaving her with nothing.

I lied , told her don't worry I will make enough money to cover the bills in a month.. Did I know if that was true, I had no idea, I had barely enough gas to Get to Hollywood.

Turns out, My idea actually worked, and I made a lot of money.. Millions in fact, Bought my mom a nice house, Paid for trips for her to go around the world on cruises and vacations.

The reality is though. I could still be that guy working, thinking of ideas... Planning for the day... that will never come..

Don't be that guy.. Lose the job, Fight to make it work.. and it will. Do it today.

This is amazing and motivational. Thank you for sharing this with me, I am at a point where this really resinated into my core and it is exactly what I needed to hear. Many thanks for you sharing your teachings.

LiveTheWay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Feb 18, 2014
Middle of New York State

I was working two jobs, throwing newspapers in the morning starting at 330 AM. and working at a warehouse during the day getting off at 7PM.. Worked my a$$ off and sadly had obligations to keep working, My dad died and left us in a ton of debt, so I had to carry the house, support my mother and brother, that is why the two jobs, had to keep them, had to make the money. No choice.

All the while business ideas were going through my head like crazy, everyday another idea, another thought, another angle, Said to myself, I should start this, I should start that. How could I though, I had bills. I can't quit. No way.

Maybe I can work some of them on the side, which I did, got friends to do their part, never worked, Why? Cause I was working and could not be there and friends doing your biz on the side. Failure after failure.

One day A friend of mine said we should go to Cali and check out the scene. Try taking a week off from Newspapers. It's a 7 day a week job, everyday. 3 years straight I had not taken a day off.. 3 years.. think about that. Now the manager was all upset I wanted to take a week off. wow..

Went to Cali, Came across something I really wanted to start, a great idea, an industry I knew 0 about. I just smelled money.. But for all my excitement, After the week was over, went back to work. had to, had no choice, getting up at 3 am, getting off at 7PM. Went on for like a month or two, realized this is my life, and this will be my life forever.

When I told my Managers they were like, your going to start your own business... it will never work, (like they knew) told my mom, she basically cried and yelled at me for a week on how she was going to be living on the street in a few months, she even was nice enough to have every relative call me and tell me I was a bum for leaving her with nothing.

I lied , told her don't worry I will make enough money to cover the bills in a month.. Did I know if that was true, I had no idea, I had barely enough gas to Get to Hollywood.

Turns out, My idea actually worked, and I made a lot of money.. Millions in fact, Bought my mom a nice house, Paid for trips for her to go around the world on cruises and vacations.

I have spent years being "that guy". Thanks to TMF and God for helping me to take a leap... I just gave my notice to my employer of 17+ years. I have some $ to cover the bills for a while and I am going to light some crap on FIRE to make something happen. to be continued...

chrisbiz4444

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 9, 2013
RI

Great story. Are you into brick and mortar business's or have you found your success online? I always find myself doubting my current business model because I have never made money online so I start to question if its really being done by a lot of people.

While I know on a factual level people are making money with online business's, but subconsciously I still doubt it. It is almost like I doubt a "real' business can be built online and It has really hurt progress. While I know this is all physiological and may sound stupid to some I believe falling for MLM scams in my past made me think this way. Like I see things like amazon and eBay as real business's. But I doubt things like affiliate marketing and microsites built on wordpress...

While I know I am wrong its been a serious mental block.

Nur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 4, 2014
Jack,

Always love reading your posts and happy all has panned out for you.

Quick question though: when you left for cali did you know what "it" was i.e. The business ide that you pursued - did you already have an idea what it was or did you come up with it after you quit your job?

I'm in a similar spot at the moment. In debt from past wrong decisions (incl taking on debt from my ex. Yeah i know!), currently in a decent job (money wise) but the job itself is beyond boring. I feel like i'm stuck in between a rock and a hard place. No clear ideas and feel numbed by the job. Working long hours and killing my creativity.

What's your view on this? Quit and figure it out as i go along?

I've read one of your post stating it's better to go with the college path.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.