The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My 1000th Post.. LOSE THE JOB, NOW!!!

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Let me tell you a story, This is 1989 early 1990..

I was working two jobs, throwing newspapers in the morning starting at 330 AM. and working at a warehouse during the day getting off at 7PM.. Worked my a$$ off and sadly had obligations to keep working, My dad died and left us in a ton of debt, so I had to carry the house, support my mother and brother, that is why the two jobs, had to keep them, had to make the money. No choice.

All the while business ideas were going through my head like crazy, everyday another idea, another thought, another angle, Said to myself, I should start this, I should start that. How could I though, I had bills. I can't quit. No way.

Maybe I can work some of them on the side, which I did, got friends to do their part, never worked, Why? Cause I was working and could not be there and friends doing your biz on the side. Failure after failure.

One day A friend of mine said we should go to Cali and check out the scene. Try taking a week off from Newspapers. It's a 7 day a week job, everyday. 3 years straight I had not taken a day off.. 3 years.. think about that. Now the manager was all upset I wanted to take a week off. wow..

Went to Cali, Came across something I really wanted to start, a great idea, an industry I knew 0 about. I just smelled money.. But for all my excitement, After the week was over, went back to work. had to, had no choice, getting up at 3 am, getting off at 7PM. Went on for like a month or two, realized this is my life, and this will be my life forever.

That moment, Decided I was going to quit, move to Cali and pursue the idea. Had no money to start it. Nothing.

When I told my Managers they were like, your going to start your own business... it will never work, (like they knew) told my mom, she basically cried and yelled at me for a week on how she was going to be living on the street in a few months, she even was nice enough to have every relative call me and tell me I was a bum for leaving her with nothing.

I lied , told her don't worry I will make enough money to cover the bills in a month.. Did I know if that was true, I had no idea, I had barely enough gas to Get to Hollywood.

Turns out, My idea actually worked, and I made a lot of money.. Millions in fact, Bought my mom a nice house, Paid for trips for her to go around the world on cruises and vacations.

The reality is though. I could still be that guy working, thinking of ideas... Planning for the day... that will never come..

Don't be that guy.. Lose the job, Fight to make it work.. and it will. Do it today.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Jack,

Always love reading your posts and happy all has panned out for you.

Quick question though: when you left for cali did you know what "it" was i.e. The business ide that you pursued - did you already have an idea what it was or did you come up with it after you quit your job?

I'm in a similar spot at the moment. In debt from past wrong decisions (incl taking on debt from my ex. Yeah i know!), currently in a decent job (money wise) but the job itself is beyond boring. I feel like i'm stuck in between a rock and a hard place. No clear ideas and feel numbed by the job. Working long hours and killing my creativity.

What's your view on this? Quit and figure it out as i go along?

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Good story. Always appreciate your posts.

I quit my job about 6 months ago, no where near as dramatic a situation as you, I aim to end up in a similar situation to you though.

To Maverick

Having a job can make you complacent. Quitting forces you to make it work, I would venture to say quitting your job will bring out the best in you and you will make it work. With that being said I dont know what your situation is like. If you want it bad enough youll make it happen

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
In debt from past wrong decisions (incl taking on debt from my ex. Yeah i know!)

Haha, I know what that is like! I consider it at really expensive learning experience.

Great post Jack, it is hard to give up the norm and actually do anything, I am glad you had such success. How many people now say "oh you were just lucky"?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Now THAT'S what I call 'ashy to classy'.

Most of us knew your story before this but it's just a stark reminder: sometimes, you really don't have anything to lose.

This has gotta be the millionth time I've given you speed...

Hawk07

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Jun 16, 2010
Iowa
Turns out, My idea actually worked, and I made a lot of money.. Millions in fact, Bought my mom a nice house, Paid for trips for her to go around the world on cruises and vacations.

--What was your "idea" that worked back in 1990?

Jack, great story here. I think you nailed it....the #1 problem I see with most everyone (minus maybe the 15 - 25 year olds that have parents to fall back on) is that they are all tied down to debt/bills and the fear to leave the "perceived certainty" of their job wins out.

There are thousands of people on this forum that are in the same position. They have a decent paying job and maybe have started a side business. They think all the time about leaving their job and just focusing on the business to grow it , but always in the back of their mind is the fact that they would be leaving a career.....and the bills/kids/family will always be there....with no safety net like the younger folks without mortgages/health insurance/monthly grocery bills etc.

Thanks for being such an inspiration!

KeonTheGreat

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Nov 25, 2012
Such an inspiration. I love reading things like this, this is why I always lurk. Not a day goes by that I don't find motivation on here. Just 10 minutes ago I emailed prospective suppliers on sample products. And just yesterday one of our manager's at the retail store I work at was basically telling us how disposable we are. It's Can't wait to walk out on it one day.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
I feel pretty fortunate to only have basic monthly bills, a small mortgage, and property taxes to worry about. With my bills, I'm free if I can make $2k a month. For any that are feeling trapped. It may be worth looking at downsizing your expenses. Just a thought.

Excellent post Jack. I'd love to hear the story on that business sometime.

Graham Chong

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Apr 29, 2012
What the? A thousand posts and I have not noticed you before? Inspiring story!

The reality is though. I could still be that guy working, thinking of ideas... Planning for the day... that will never come..

Don't be that guy.. Lose the job, Fight to make it work.. and it will. Do it today.

Will be quitting my job after getting my full registration with the council, not a day more at the job :)

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Last edited by a moderator:

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
--What was your "idea" that worked back in 1990?

Jack, great story here. I think you nailed it....the #1 problem I see with most everyone (minus maybe the 15 - 25 year olds that have parents to fall back on) is that they are all tied down to debt/bills and the fear to leave the "perceived certainty" of their job wins out.

There are thousands of people on this forum that are in the same position. They have a decent paying job and maybe have started a side business. They think all the time about leaving their job and just focusing on the business to grow it , but always in the back of their mind is the fact that they would be leaving a career.....and the bills/kids/family will always be there....with no safety net like the younger folks without mortgages/health insurance/monthly grocery bills etc.

Thanks for being such an inspiration!

Is it a problem with his post or just a high barrier to entry (or exit in this thread)?

If they have a decent paying job and feel tied down to it because of bills....then they will always have just that, a decent paying job.

Also while I feel your assessment on many young people is correct I feel you may be mistaken when you generalize that all people 25 and under have a safety net and no significant bills. I started the fastlane when I was 24, I didn't have a safety net before but I had made enough to get by. Then with all bills still in tact I walked out one day and started working on my own business. I even took on an extra bill or two that was worth the pain it caused to force me to stretch myself and my abilities.

To give the excuse for yourself or anyone else that you don't have a "safety net" etc etc (and I've heard about this safety net from people older and younger than myself) is simply a reason to fail. Anyone can keep repeating this day in and day out. But the bills won't get better, the children won't go away, and it won't get any easier to step out on your own. So people need to do it or admit that their too scared and start monitoring their 401Ks.

OzGrinder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Jack, I love this post. Very inspirational, thank you.

My biggest fear though is that for every story like yours, there are 10 where the protagonist ends up broke and broken.

It's a question I battle with every day, bite the bullet and leave or just keep working on the business on the side? The problem is the lack of time to concentrate on it when your working full time... I have massive amounts of respect for those that have bitten the bullet and succeeded, but assuming the worst and catering for it appropriately is in my nature.

djax06

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jan 16, 2013
plan.PNG

Booked that this weekend. I have some online pursuits I'll be pursuing full time along with anything else, and I'm heading to Bali/Vietnam/Thailand to pursue it. Mainly for the value of the money and the time it will give me (all day/all night).

It's not ASAP but it's good enough. 6 months baby.

Good post.

natopotato

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Aug 23, 2012
MI
The most perfect story for me this week, Jack. Struggling to pay my student loans with crappy jobs all the while having ideas that I know would make money so that I can pursue my dream. A life without adversity isn't a worthwhile life to live, I'll never be truly happy if I cant overcome my obstacles. "Fight to make it work.."

Shakeandbake

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 4, 2013
Can you provide some insight on what the first business was? How long it took you to succeed from nothing. Maybe a little bit of coles notes on start to finish on that business?

I was following the more recent one but seemed like that thread dried up and haven't seen any updates.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
View attachment 4713

Booked that this weekend. I have some online pursuits I'll be pursuing full time along with anything else, and I'm heading to Bali/Vietnam/Thailand to pursue it. Mainly for the value of the money and the time it will give me (all day/all night).

It's not ASAP but it's good enough. 6 months baby.

Good post.
I should be back in BKK around the same time. Look me up.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Thank you for this thread JackEdwards. It is really amazing that you had the courage to take the plunge, and the fact that you succeeded is icing on the cake. I am in a similar situation, living with my mother and paying bills, sometimes feeling like I am trapped because bills come in every month and she cannot support herself on her own if I stop working. Been living paycheck to paycheck for a year and a half now with entrepreneurial dreams in between. Your story gives me hope that I will get out of this situation, and be able to provide for her too.

Not to be a practical douche, but any advise on how to find that industry, that great idea that smells like money? Is it just try and fail all the way until you find the right one?

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
I am working towards this ideal. Although I cannot just drop everything and run off to Cali because I have children involved and not just a bunch of slacking adults (although I have those too) I am teaming up with my brother from another mother. I hope to be reporting back within a year free of my JOB. And cruisin the freeway.

After so many failures and setbacks I still keep focused on the 1 and not on the 10 who may fail. That's the difference I believe. Are you focused on the fastlane or the guard rail?

Hit another set back as my buddy will be delayed another month. But he doesn't have any young ones. We will leverage his time with what i have learned here and other places and create a suitable retirement we always talked about when we were in our 20's.

Funny little coincidence. Jack edwards time frame was when me and my buddy first met. Little piece I can take into heart and raise my spirit level after yesterdays setback.

macarena

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Mar 3, 2013
Hi Jack, I really enjoyed your diary thread on how you started and grew your business. On page 16 of that thread, you said the following:

I am asked this a lot. Seriously if I was a newb trying to get out there, I would go to the trade show of whatever industry you are in.. If you are in butter, trust me there is a butter trade show somewhere.. Most of the time in vegas.. I am talking the manu - wholesalers trade show. Not the one they advertise. Like ces, kbis, sema,

Find your show. go in, wear a nice suit. Pass all the big guys, go to the farthest point from the door, Look at the signs, they start turning Chinese, find a guy that sells your stuff, walk up to him and say, I think I can sell 10,000 units I would like to become a U.S. "PARTNER" of yours.

See those guys want to sell product in the U.S. very very badly. Tell them your idea and have them send you a container of whatever.. They will do it.

True Story, I was once shipped $500k worth of product on a hand shake.

Hope someone takes this advice, I have a great business idea wrapped around doing this, just don' t have the time.

Can you please elaborate a little on what you had in mind? Was it a service of some sort? Yes, I created an account just to ask this question :)

The Autobahn

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Mar 2, 2013
Switzerland
I currently dont have a job.. however it wont be easy to get lets say 5000$ per month quickly.
Any ideas who are legal ? :)

I already have a idea, however i have to wait few months until my machine arrives. Until then im learning some new skills.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.