The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Money does NOT equal happiness

Bryan James

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2018
Texas, USA
Okay, I'm not here to say that the rich are evil, capitalism sucks, money is the root of all evil, or to bash entrepreneurs or money in any way whatsoever. I personally know a plethora of multimillionaires who suffer from chronic depression, bitter divorces, people who are serious alcoholics, etc. They are great at making and growing money and understand the game, but it constantly reinforces my belief that money in and of itself is not a guarantee of happiness. Again, not to bash capitalism or anything even remotely of the sort, I understand that these sad millionaires are still happier and healthier for having the money than not having it. I just feel happiness seems to be more a result of particular inner positionalities and ways of dealing with (and looking at) life. What do you folks think? My apologies if the title was a bit too "click-bait"y.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
050be3a7ee7c445cd77f91af77d919e7.jpg

if-money-cant-buy-happiness-explain-boats-and-beer-13850869.png

Mr.Brandtastic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Sep 27, 2017
Parents' House
Money doesn't always equal happiness. But if a rich man and a poor man have the same mindset, who's doing better? Who would you rather be? A man can change his mind, attitude, and lifestyle in the blink of an eye. But what he can't do, it simply imagine 10 million dollars in his bank account and have it appear tomorrow. The main difference is that the rich man has vastly more options and time, no one every promised happiness and fulfillment. Sure advertisers do if you buy this car, watch, house, vacation, etc. (that just happens to take a lot of money) but nowhere did we ever promise it or could promise it.

Forget about happiness anyway. Why is everyone so obsessed with it? Become content but don't be so obsessed with it, it's a dangerous road that leads nowhere. Focus on achieving what you need and then what you want, that's the real recipe for happiness.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Money doesn't make you happy, wealth does.

Don't forget the 3 F's from TMF .
fff.PNG

Money undeniably is a large part of the "freedom", however if you don't have your health and family friends, I don't see how you can be fulfilled. Many people say they have rich friends who are miserable - however if you dig down you often find they are not truly "free" - working 80 hour weeks, have poor health, or poor relationships with their family and friends. On the reverse I've seen people with great health and relationships but are miserably tied to their jobs and debts.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
wellllllll statistically wealthy people are happier... like 50% of the variation

correlation, causation and all that jazz but who knows

I personally know a plethora of multimillionaires who suffer from chronic depression, bitter divorces, people who are serious alcoholics, etc.

I personally know a lot more broke people who are even more miserable

anecdotes aren’t helpful

hydemx

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 20, 2018
Money doesn't make you happy, wealth does.

Don't forget the 3 F's from TMF .
fff.PNG

Money undeniably is a large part of the "freedom", however if you don't have your health and family friends, I don't see how you can be fulfilled. Many people say they have rich friends who are miserable - however if you dig down you often find they are not truly "free" - working 80 hour weeks, have poor health, or poor relationships with their family and friends. On the reverse I've seen people with great health and relationships but are miserably tied to their jobs and debts.

This.
For me, money is a mean, not the destination. Freedom is really what I'm after, and I think a lot of people share that vision. After reading UNSCRIPTED I changed the way I think about the money; now it's about generating value to the user, and get a voucher as a reward; that has helped me tremendously to avoid the money chasing vice that got me stuck all these years.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Listen... have you ever been broke? Like... you don’t know if you can pay your rent? Or you’re hungry and don’t have a few bucks in your pocket for a cheeseburger? Ever have to worry about how you’re gonna pay for your kid’s school supplies? Or not have enough gas in your tank to make it to work tomorrow? Man, money and happiness do have a strong relationship. I’m sorry, it’s absolute fact.

The quick science? Physical pain and pleasure, evolutionarily were meant to steer us away from danger and guide us to survival. Fire hurt (don’t touch that) while being in a temperature ideal to keep our body temperature constant felt good.

Anything that feels good helped up propagate our genes or survive, and anything that felt bad harmed those chances. Whether physical or emotional.

Yummy Berries -> Help us survive by providing valuable nutrition -> good feeling on tongue
Stepping on a jagged rock -> pierces our skin making us susceptible to infection -> BAD feeling
Being safe in your home -> safety from the elements -> cozy/ good feeling
being homeless -> no protection from the elements -> very bad feeling
Being rejected by a potential mate -> 'my genes might not get passed on’ -> BAD feeling
Sex -> Helped propagate genes -> feels grrrRRRreaat! (/tony the tiger voice)

See? Anything that helps us survive or replicate feels good... anything that hurts those chances of that feels bad. Our entire happiness system is literally built upon “You’re doin good kid.. here’s some happiness chemicals as a reward for you surviving.”

Now when you’re wealthy? Your survival is basically guaranteed. The survival of your children is basically guaranteed. The morbidity rate (chances of death) is much higher in impoverished societies. MUCH higher. And guess what? Impoverished societies have significantly lower levels of happiness.

Happiness, biologically, if your body saying “hey man... you’re really doing a good job at this whole ’survival and reproduction’ thing,’ so you feel good most of the time

As a digression, I think that’s part of the reason drugs are so harmful. They tell your body “everything is okay.. here are good feelings” without you earning them. So Jimbo's neurochemistry says ‘you’re doing great kiddo!’ while in reality Jimbo is a F*cking crackhead with one tooth. Those drugs say ‘you’re doing great! no need to change anything!’ so the user just sits in a state of unearned bliss and does nothing to improve their shitty lives.

That’s at first. Soon other issues set in, like needing the drug to feel even halfway normal, and everything spiraling out of control becasue you’re in such pain without the drug that you don’t care who you rob or backstab in order to get your next fix and end the pain

Drug addiction is F*cking ugly.

Anyway.. just a little tangent

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.