The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to respond - "Money doesn't buy happiness."

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
When Im building and landscaping golf courses, I love to buy beautiful trees. Sometimes, though, those trees arent in nurseries; sometimes they are in a persons backyard. I'll be driving down the highway, see a great tree, and ask my limo driver to pull over. I'll knock on the door. Usually, a woman will answer the door, and Ill say, "Hi, lady. I'd love to buy your tree." She'll say, "Oh my god! Its Donald Trump! I cant believe this is happening!" And then I'll tell here that I'm building a golf course nearby, like the one I'm building in Los Angeles right along the Pacific Ocean. Usually, I'll get the tree. I've bought a lot of great trees that way, and those trees can be found all over the country at my golf courses. Money can't buy happiness, but it sure as hell can buy some great trees.

- Donald Trump

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andyredsox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 24, 2012
I don't.

You are wasting your time.

It is like telling an atheist that god exists, or to a believer, that god does not exist. You can't convince them.

I honestly think you can't change people's beliefs when related to subjective things/feelings.

They have to come to that realization on their own.

I personally like this!

You can be as rich as you can be but still unhappy. It's all about proper mind tuning.

People who are broke can be happy too!

So to be happy, you need to condition yourself to be one- rich or broke!

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Awesome! Sounds like Jordan "The Wolf of Wall Street" Belfort.
The context is in the 80s when people were recovering from the 60s and 70s where people chasing money were somewhat looked down upon.

No today seriously believes in “money don’t buy happiness”.

People today just google search “How do I make money”.

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
Money doesn't buy happiness for those who have no concept of what makes them happy.

I don't hide the fact that I want an opulent lifestyle. That desire became uncool years ago, but that changes nothing for me because it's not about anyone but me. No one on this forum will know about it when I achieve it, I'm not sharing it on social media, I don't need to brag about it to my friends.

Moreover, money enhances your ability to enjoy experiences, not things.

If I want to drive a 2002 Pontiac Firebird rather than a 1996 Toyota Corolla it is because the experience of driving the Firebird, parking it at a drive-in theatre, storing the T-tops in the trunk, or being able to squeeze into the bucket seats in the back are what make me happy.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I was in a meeting the other day and heard this beauty:

"Anyone who says money doesn't buy happiness hasn't given enough of it away yet."

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
The purpose of life isn't happiness.

The people who say things like that are almost always losers who are trying to cope with the fact that they are bad at making money.

The real value of money is the power that it gives you over your own life, not in its ability to improve your ability to consume. It's not about stuff, it's about power.

j0elsuf

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Dec 15, 2020
The only thing money really does is give you options.

Whether that makes anyone happy or not is really up to the individual.

For me, money wouldn't directly make me happy, but it would give me options and more options would improve my mental state a bit.

Also, a lot of people don't really know what true happiness is. Most of them just feel meh most of the time and they "settle" for feeling meh.

Would more money bring them out of "meh?"

Probably not. But it might.

I know more money would help me a bit. But it definitely wouldn't radically change my life. It would just get me out of the debt I'm in and give me more options in terms of where to eat, what to eat, what healthcare I can get, where I can live/travel, etc. These options would make me feel pretty good but wouldn't make me feel completely happy however.

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 27, 2016
They are right. Money is not happiness.

Many people are happy without money. Go to the slums of India. People are quite happy there, because of the community sense.

What money buys is DIGNITY. You do not have to bend your will to someone else's for money.

Another argument is: 'Money is the most important thing for anything it can buy.'

D

Deleted50669

They are right. Money is not happiness.

Many people are happy without money. Go to the slums of India. People are quite happy there, because of the community sense.

What money buys is DIGNITY. You do not have to bend your will to someone else's for money.

Another argument is: 'Money is the most important thing for anything it can buy.'
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it's damn good at preventing misery.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.