The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to respond - "Money doesn't buy happiness."

hobokook

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Feb 23, 2012
How exactly do you respond to someone who says money doesn't buy happiness?

I know that after making a certain amount, money can't make you any more happy...but are you really saying that someone making $30k per year is just as happy as someone making $3 million per year?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
Money doesn't buy happiness and is the root of all evil.

I'm an evil unhappy guy! ;)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I guess I pick unhappy then.

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
:beatdeadhorse5:

This forum is missing a 'beating a dead horse' emoticon

I know that after making a certain amount, money can't make you any more happy...but are you really saying that someone making $30k per year is just as happy as someone making $3 million per year?

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/mindset-motivation-choices/24991-money-cant-buy-happiness.html

Last edited by a moderator:

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
It all depends on what a person defines as happiness. Most of us define being happy as having more time to do what ever we want. In order to do this you need money to take care of all of your daily needs, so in that respect yes money does buy happiness. Happiness can also be looked at as having good health. By having money to free up your time you can focus more time on yourself and go to the gym or what ever makes you healthy and if you fall ill you have the money to buy the best doctors in the world to make you better so again money can buy you happiness. I am not wealthy yet but a friend of money is and he has also told me that money can't buy happiness. I asked him if he would be willing to donate all of the money he makes and just keep enough to just live. He had nothing to say because it would never happen. My conclusion is that money can indirectly buy you happiness because it can eliminate many of the stresses in your life that make you unhappy.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I don't.

You are wasting your time.

It is like telling an atheist that god exists, or to a believer, that god does not exist. You can't convince them.

I honestly think you can't change people's beliefs when related to subjective things/feelings.

They have to come to that realization on their own.

santa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2011
UK
Money is a medium of exchange.

The greater medium of exchange resource you have, the greater CHOICE you have.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
im always curious about how they know...

so I ask, "how do you know?"

Z

This is the best one yet!

What about the root of all evil? It is kind of like the gun control arguments, if guns people spoons make Rosie Odonnel fat.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
If they have to ask in the first place, they've already shown they won't understand the answer.

jljtech

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 12, 2012
Florida
This! :D (language) Skip to 2:12

[video=youtube;w4Pu_JuPILw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Pu_JuPILw&t=2m24s[/video]

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
My aunt told me that money doesn't buy happiness as she was throwing back a glass of wine at a family event. She makes probably 400K per year. My uncle is retired at age 50 something as a result of stocks and his business and she could quit her job at any moment.

I said it "buy happiness by buying freedom. Look at you guys." That's all i had to say to shut her up. And she and my uncle have never talked to me again. Sometimes its better to just keep your mouth shut I guess

kahem89

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jul 20, 2011
Norway, Oslo
I agree that money doesn't buy you happiness directly, you can be unhappy with money. I just think its the wrong question.

The real question is can you be happy without freedom? I know I cant. And... that's exactly what money will get you, Freedom And choices :)

As a general rule. F*ck those discussions, its a waste of time. If they want to work for you in the future, let them :rolleyes:

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
Jordan is a tool. He was a scammer thats all. He stole money from people.. and trust me i will still give a scammer the credit if they deserve it but he doesent. He got out of jail and tried to open two businesses which failed miserably....hmm what happened to the "principles" this guru is selling everyone now? Its easy to be good at sales when you lie to people in order to get people sending checks in then steal their money. Joke, dont even listen to that guy or anything he says, he had a bunch of drug addicts calling people 300x each per day lying to get their money then they stole it and put it into one of their fake stocks, not hard to do... you've got to be a real scumbag with some big ba***, or just rat everyone out when you get caught like he did.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Jordan is a tool. He was a scammer thats all. He stole money from people.. and trust me i will still give a scammer the credit if they deserve it but he doesent. He got out of jail and tried to open two businesses which failed miserably....hmm what happened to the "principles" this guru is selling everyone now? Its easy to be good at sales when you lie to people in order to get people sending checks in then steal their money. Joke, dont even listen to that guy or anything he says, he had a bunch of drug addicts calling people 300x each per day lying to get their money then they stole it and put it into one of their fake stocks, not hard to do... you've got to be a real scumbag with some big ba***, or just rat everyone out when you get caught like he did.

As bad as this is, his book was the spark that got me interested in finance and then in turn entrepreneurship. I did't even think people could possibly make a million dollars in a month, and I wouldn't be on this forum had I not read his book. Cheesy story as follows: My aunt got me "The wolf on Wall Street" for Christmas, then for my birthday (February), since I liked the book so much, my mom asked my aunt to send out another business book for my birthday present (yes, books for my birthday). Buried between two shitty, regurgitated-info business books laid the Millionaire Fastlane , my life would be forever changed. True story

Last edited:

AlasdairM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Sep 20, 2012
The question to ask yourself is, if money buys happiness, then how come there are miserable rich people and happy poor people (go to Jamaica some time)? Money effectively magnifies your basic personality traits.

If you're insecure with little money, you'll be even more so with lots of money. Likewise, if you're basically a happy person, more money will make you happier (up to a point).

mags

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Oct 18, 2011
Respond with "Whoever said money can't buy happiness did not know where to shop!"

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Honestly, let them go on believing their brainwashing. Frankly, it isn't my job to fix people.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.