The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MJ DeMarco's Idea on Bitcoin and Weed

Shiva2392

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Dec 27, 2021
Hello everyone,

When I was reading MJ's recent book "The Great Rat Race" I found a few areas where I don't agree with the ideas. Like for example, MJ had a positive notion of bitcoin (and its buyer who got rich) and weed. I want to get an opinion from others who have the same feeling and also from MJ.

Isn't Bitcoin a Ponzi scheme? At least the idea of getting rich from it? Like is it not the "greater fools theory" and if yes I feel it's wrong to promote such things.

Also consuming marijuana in the long term is bad and addictive according to science. Yes, understand it has medicinal value but still should be given under a doctor's supervision. What's your opinion guys?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bitcoin early adopters and those who held did get rich. In the GRRE , our character was looking at Bitcoin before its huge run up.

If you deny facts, I cannot help you.

Also consuming marijuana in the long term is bad and addictive according to science.

Ha Ha, sure, let me guess, studies conducted by the alcohol and tobacco industry? Or is this the same science that says getting 14 vaccines is now the answer to COVID? I rarely smoke weed but it's not the big boogieman your government has made it out to be. Quit being so gullible.

where I don't agree with the ideas.

Oh well, you're welcome to continue to live with your beliefs, and the outcomes they produce. I'm pretty damn happy with mine.

Shiva2392

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Dec 27, 2021
Bitcoin early adopters and those who held did get rich.
But that can be said for all other Ponzi schemes. Early adopters make money while the last person loses. I just don't see how bitcoin is not a zero-sum game for making wealth. It is neither a place for storing currency or value, seeing how volatile it is. I don't know everything about bitcoin and will for sure read more on it but I am trying to get your reasoning.

About the Maruijanna. I have seen some close people who are addicted and lose mental stability and have mood changes randomly. Definitely not a boogieman as the government said but it has its bad side.

Thanks for replying. And, don't get me wrong MJ. I am a fan and a believer of 99 percent of your ideas. I am happy about your success.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Hello everyone,

When I was reading MJ's recent book "The Great Rat Race" I found a few areas where I don't agree with the ideas. Like for example, MJ had a positive notion of bitcoin (and its buyer who got rich) and weed. I want to get an opinion from others who have the same feeling and also from MJ.

Isn't Bitcoin a Ponzi scheme? At least the idea of getting rich from it? Like is it not the "greater fools theory" and if yes I feel it's wrong to promote such things.

Also consuming marijuana in the long term is bad and addictive according to science. Yes, understand it has medicinal value but still should be given under a doctor's supervision. What's your opinion guys?

Yes, we shouldn't talk about bitcoin.

It is a Ponzi, and by saying such things and influencing others to buy it, I could get rich of the price move up and sell out of the Ponzi.

Oh wait, we are all way too poor to move the price.

My plan fails, why the hell do I even go on the crypto thread if I cant do that.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Maybe it is not the marijuana ruining people's lives, but their actions that lead them to consume it and their life direction?

I can go and have some drinks, and not have it ruin my life. However, there are many who spend every penny they have on alcohol and partying and leading a destructive life. Does that make alcohol evil?

Same goes for video games. I could use it to unwind and have some fun once a week. Or I can use it to waste my life away where I play every waking moment.

Drugs, sex, rock and roll... All can be used to ruin your life, all can be used to make it better.

Check your internal locus of control and take control of your life. Don't let small outside factors determine your life for you

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Check your internal locus of control and take control of your life. Don't let small outside factors determine your life for you
This exactly.

Read this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1250183863/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Bitcoin is not a ponzi scheme, but it’s also not a business idea. It’s a cryptocurrency which should be self-explanatory to anyone that’s been paying attention. No one continues investing in a known Ponzi scheme.

Weed is less damaging to people than alcohol, unless you count all the deaths and jail around the industry caused by government. I’m not into weed, but I’m not all about banning it either. If people want to get their life satisfaction from a drug, that’s on them. If you happen to start a business in the weed industry, it is simply serving a customer’s demand.

Last edited:

Speculatooor

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jul 11, 2019
Netherlands
But that can be said for all other Ponzi schemes. Early adopters make money while the last person loses. I just don't see how bitcoin is not a zero-sum game for making wealth. It is neither a place for storing currency or value, seeing how volatile it is. I don't know everything about bitcoin and will for sure read more on it but I am trying to get your reasoning.

About the Maruijanna. I have seen some close people who are addicted and lose mental stability and have mood changes randomly. Definitely not a boogieman as the government said but it has its bad side.

Thanks for replying. And, don't get me wrong MJ. I am a fan and a believer of 99 percent of your ideas. I am happy about your success.
You say you don't know everything about bitcoin, but also classify as a greater fools zero-sum ponzi scheme unable to store value.

You will not make it with this mindset.

You hear things from other 'experts' and other people and regard them as true without doing your own reasearch and critical thinking. And you regurgitate them here on this forum, because you know MJ DeMarco IS a critical thinker doing his own research, and you want HIM to confirm YOUR bias/beliefs.

If you actually wanted to make it, you would have questioned your own narrative and started researching, reading books like The Bitcoin Standard or What Has Government Done To Our Money. But that is not your goal, you just want to confirm your bias, like 99% of normal mediocre people who will NGMI.

Like Naval's glorious quote on getting rich: "You get paid for being right first, and to be first, you can’t wait for consensus."

How do you get right first? Do your own research and critical thinking. Question your beliefs! Check your biases. Make yourself aware of conditioning and propaganda.

Last edited:

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Maybe it is not the marijuana ruining people's lives, but their actions that lead them to consume it and their life direction?

I can go and have some drinks, and not have it ruin my life. However, there are many who spend every penny they have on alcohol and partying and leading a destructive life. Does that make alcohol evil?

Same goes for video games. I could use it to unwind and have some fun once a week. Or I can use it to waste my life away where I play every waking moment.

Drugs, sex, rock and roll... All can be used to ruin your life, all can be used to make it better.

The choice to remain unvaxinated is equivalent to driving while intoxicated.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
The choice to remain unvaxinated is equivalent to driving while intoxicated.
errrrr.... my post was about Weed and internal locus of control. Does drinking and driving carry less of a risk for infants, children and healthy individuals compared to the elderly, immunocompromised, and the obese? If so I was unaware.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
errrrr.... my post was about Weed and internal locus of control. Does drinking and driving carry less of a risk for infants, children and healthy individuals compared to the elderly, immunocompromised, and the obese? If so I was unaware.

I just like trolling.

The person who initially said that. Is delusional.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I just like trolling.

The person who initially said that. Is delusional.
lol, 100% over my head haha! I was afraid you were serious. It has been a long day... Now back to my sex, drugs, and rock n' roll.

Shiva2392

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Dec 27, 2021
Do your own research and critical thinking. Question your beliefs! Check your biases. Make yourself aware of conditioning and propaganda.
I agree I need to do more research and find out the truth myself and I will, thanks. Maybe I will see what is on the other side and a sound argument in its favor.

But, sometimes we all ask the opinions of 'experts' or depend on authority in the subject. Like I go to a doctor and trust his medicines. Certainly not a good idea in some countries but at least here in Canada.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, sometimes I get a bad vibe from some entrepreneurs and driven individuals who don't care about the well-being of society and just care about getting rich. Some of my friends buy crypto just to pump it and dump them in the future for a better price. Their line of thinking is like this...

Markets (people) demand certain products or services -->The product may or may not benefit them (In the worst case ruin their life for a fact) -->Regardless, Entrepreneurs fulfill their demand and market them further to make wealth.

Seems like a dog-eat-dog world.

Homeopathy, for example, is known not to work by science but companies and individuals make fortune from selling it.

MJ's latest book explained different types of value. For example, perceived value is different from the true value of a product. But markets or people are irrational sometimes and can perceive some negative things as valuable. During those times, I wonder is it ethical to still sell them or educate them about the negative effect of the product.

Speculatooor

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jul 11, 2019
Netherlands
I agree I need to do more research and find out the truth myself and I will, thanks. Maybe I will see what is on the other side and a sound argument in its favor.

But, sometimes we all ask the opinions of 'experts' or depend on authority in the subject. Like I go to a doctor and trust his medicines. Certainly not a good idea in some countries but at least here in Canada.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, sometimes I get a bad vibe from some entrepreneurs and driven individuals who don't care about the well-being of society and just care about getting rich. Some of my friends buy crypto just to pump it and dump them in the future for a better price. Their line of thinking is like this...

Markets (people) demand certain products or services -->The product may or may not benefit them (In the worst case ruin their life for a fact) -->Regardless, Entrepreneurs fulfill their demand and market them further to make wealth.

Seems like a dog-eat-dog world.

Homeopathy, for example, is known not to work by science but companies and individuals make fortune from selling it.

MJ's latest book explained different types of value. For example, perceived value is different from the true value of a product. But markets or people are irrational sometimes and can perceive some negative things as valuable. During those times, I wonder is it ethical to still sell them or educate them about the negative effect of the product.
To be reading MJ DeMarco, you are already moving on a very good road. I was being tough on you because I notice the conditioning that myself and many others here have shedded.

The biggest realization is that experts are also just people with biases and their own agenda's.

I myself have had a very nasty situation with a corrupt doctor for example, while at that same time period having an amazing sitatuation with another. Trusting all doctors the same would be a big mistake, and that counts for all experts.

Scientists/financial analyists/journalists/etc. All these experts can use their expertise for good and also for bad. Scientists can discover a cure for cancer, or distort a study to underreport dangers of a medicine.
Financial analysts can give great insight into the macro-environment and markets, or corruptly shill a stock.
Journalist can discover truth risking their lives, or be propaganda puppets for those in power.

This is why doing your own research and critical thinking skills are so important. That also helps with recognizing what products actually have benefit (perceived value vs actual).

The book Unscripted from MJ DeMarco is a great read that gives a lot of depth to this type of thinking. It's my most read book of all, recommend it a lot.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
All said already.
BTW: I heared: in Greece its legal to grow weed. But not to sell weed. So there are thousands tons of weed lying anywhere in Greece waiting to be sold, if that gets legalized any time.

c4n

Full throttle
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
May 30, 2017
BTW: I heared: in Greece its legal to grow weed. But not to sell weed. So there are thousands tons of weed lying anywhere in Greece waiting to be sold, if that gets legalized any time.

Not sure where you heard that but it's legal to grow for medical purposes only, and you need a license. Still illegal for recreational use.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.