The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mindset to have about dating while building a business ?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
for the first 5 years we were both well matched and slowlaners. I've since been exploring entrepreneurship and he doesn't disapprove but he doesn't want any part of it, so it's hard to see that we will work long-term. Very interested to see how your journey is going!

A partner who isn't open minded to your change cycle is problematic. Unfortunately there is nothing you can say to convince your partner, you have to be the change and demonstrate results in order to convert doubters into believers.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Alicia10

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
May 19, 2021
Jersey City, NJ
A partner who isn't open minded to your change cycle is problematic. Unfortunately there is nothing you can say to convince your partner, you have to be the change and demonstrate results in order to convert doubters into believers.
I agree. Problematic is a good word. I don't think my partner is actively stopping me, I just think he's scared to commit to the changes necessary. However, I think once my he and my family see the life I'm living once I'm fully in the fast lane they'll be more supportive and interested in changing there ways, so they can live the same type of life. At this point I'm just not sure if it's worth choosing to stay with someone that has a mindset I don't agree with.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
One way to look at it is based on your life priorities.
To me, family first business after. This means that I’ll sacrifice my business in a heartbeat for my better half. Lucky for me, I don’t have to, but it’s something I’m clear on. Business and money are fun when I can share my success with someone. If I was alone and had $100bl net worth, it wouldn’t make me happy. Same thing with health. It’s a priority to business. There is a little catch 22 there, as the life I get to live now with wealth is abundant in love too. Yet, I was always clear on my chosen priorities. I seek fulfillment not just business success.

life is full of irony. The right person would support you in your endeavours but also you can ruin the greatest relationship by ignoring his/her interests and taking advantage of your relationship. It’s like a bak account, if you keep withdrawing without putting back in, you eventually get to zero. Relationship is like that too, and startup businesses take so much time that it’s hard to contribute to a relationship. Yet for me, why have the business success if I can’t share it with my loved one? That’s life. It’s not meant to be easy.

humananalytics

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 7, 2020
USA
Having a good partner will accelerate your business, but the converse is also true. If you've ever read Shoe Dog, by Phil Knight, you'll also find that his wife was a big component of his success. However, we also know how much of a distraction a bad relationship can be.

My GF doesn't have any desire for the fastlane, but she supports my ideas, she supports my monetary investments (this is a big one because many women would prefer I invest my money on luxuries we can enjoy), and even helps me out with her design skills. She also works very hard in her own field - more hours than I work in my salaried job, so I can actually work on the weekends with no complaints.

I don't see why dating needs to be withheld while you are building your business, but just don't make finding the right woman your core focus, since this will be time consuming.

Alicia10

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
May 19, 2021
Jersey City, NJ
One way to look at it is based on your life priorities.
To me, family first business after. This means that I’ll sacrifice my business in a heartbeat for my better half. Lucky for me, I don’t have to, but it’s something I’m clear on. Business and money are fun when I can share my success with someone. If I was alone and had $100bl net worth, it wouldn’t make me happy. Same thing with health. It’s a priority to business. There is a little catch 22 there, as the life I get to live now with wealth is abundant in love too. Yet, I was always clear on my chosen priorities. I seek fulfillment not just business success.

life is full of irony. The right person would support you in your endeavours but also you can ruin the greatest relationship by ignoring his/her interests and taking advantage of your relationship. It’s like a bak account, if you keep withdrawing without putting back in, you eventually get to zero. Relationship is like that too, and startup businesses take so much time that it’s hard to contribute to a relationship. Yet for me, why have the business success if I can’t share it with my loved one? That’s life. It’s not meant to be easy.
Thanks for your reply. I agree, I think family and health are more important than my business in the grand scheme of life. I appreciate your perspective, and I tend to agree with it. I think as long as you're aware of the decisions you're making and why you're making them, it is easier to control how you let them affect your life in both positive and negative ways.

Alicia10

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
May 19, 2021
Jersey City, NJ
Having a good partner will accelerate your business, but the converse is also true. If you've ever read Shoe Dog, by Phil Knight, you'll also find that his wife was a big component of his success. However, we also know how much of a distraction a bad relationship can be.

My GF doesn't have any desire for the fastlane, but she supports my ideas, she supports my monetary investments (this is a big one because many women would prefer I invest my money on luxuries we can enjoy), and even helps me out with her design skills. She also works very hard in her own field - more hours than I work in my salaried job, so I can actually work on the weekends with no complaints.

I don't see why dating needs to be withheld while you are building your business, but just don't make finding the right woman your core focus, since this will be time consuming.
Thanks for sharing your perspective - it helps me see that it is possible to be with someone while building a business. I definitely agree with what you're saying. One question, do you find it hard to be with someone that has a different mindset than you?

maikooo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 7, 2018
Note: didn't read the other replies, and just throwing in my own 2 cents ...

Get her on board :) If the business is your life and she doesn't care, why bother? If she cares, the better! You can find time for anything if you really want it and if she cares, she will forgive you for times when you simply need to execute ...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.