• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Mental Health and Entrepreneurship

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by Fox, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Fox

Fox Moderator Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $70,261
    The road of entrepreneurship ain't easy. We all love a good success thread but for every person on the way up, there are quite a few more struggling to get going.

People come on here in all sorts of moods. Some might be feeling angry, depressed, anxious, stressed, lonely. Maybe a bad day. Maybe a terrible month, maybe a down year.

Even when things are going well we can self-sabotage or be too hard on ourselves.

Usually, people in these sorts of moods don't want to leave themselves open to being even more vulnerable so instead, they lash out. It might be a massive rant thread or maybe some asinine comments on someone else's thread.

There are of course a few trolls but I do think there are also real members on this forum who, from time to time, are hurting. I definitely have my bad days. It is hard to get the full picture when you only got some posts to go off. You really have no idea what other people are going through.

I was hoping to start this thread for two reasons:

- Encourage people who are hurting to be a little more open about it and get feedback from the strong community here. Either start a thread, PM someone, or just leave some open comments if you need help. We all have down days and there are people here who will lend a hand. There are many members on here who have been through worse than you can imagine and they can give you some real practical advice.

- Also, on the flip side, when you see someone obviously worked up you try to help them. Shoot them a message, give them some encouragement, see what is going on.

Anyway, I hope I don't come off as being up on my high horse. I ain't no saint myself but I am trying to be a little more helpful and less quick to judge. And I for sure have days where I need to reach out to people myself and get support and advice.

So if you need help please post up somewhere on here and let people help you.

Bekit, NickB, Jevaughn M and 27 others like this.
  2. Jakeeck

Jakeeck Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,889
    I've struggled hard with depression for many years and the only thing that helps me is a good diet. Poor gut health = poor mental health.

For me, I've figured out it was ALL diet. No help in the world can help me if my diet isn't right. I just literally cannot function. I can barely get out of bed and even the simplest of things seem so f*cking difficult.

And it doesn't just come down to "eating healthy." It's deeper than that.

If you're like me, you can't eat rice, potatoes, any starchy carb that can ferment in the colon (colon health is directly tied to mental health).

I'll tell you a diet that will have you feeling like a completely new man or woman in 3 days IF you have the same problem as me. It's worth a shot if you haven't been able to figure out your issues.

Breakfast - 1 cup greek/bulgarian yogurt (plain), handful of raspberries and blueberries or fruit of choice mixed in yogurt (I recommend no bananas as they're a bit starchy)

Lunch - 2 cans of organic vegetable soup.. I use Amy's.

Dinner - Repeat lunch and add a can of sardines/mackerel in olive oil (if you don't like fish, then just skip that)

Before bed - same as breakfast

The probiotics from the yogurt really help your microbiome, which is tied to mental health.

The easy to digest foods (soup and fruit) mean your food isn't making it to the colon and fermenting in there.

This kind of diet takes me straight from suicidal thoughts and severe social anxiety to f*cking amazing and confident in about 72 hours.

NickB, jwhanke, superb and 10 others like this.
  3. Locomote

Locomote Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,317
    I definitely can relate to this. My progress thread is an amazing tool for me as its a point of reference and grounding for when I start to loose sight of the goal and progress I've made towards it.

Also grounding because I can see where I made mistakes, underestimated myself, underestimated a project or timeline and truly learn from it.

Working alone on a project its ease to loose sight and difficult to bounce ideas off people when they just aren't as invested in something as you are.

My main motivation for joining the FLF was to be part of a community similar invested interests.

Great post @Fox

NickB and Fox like this.
  4. jasoncuellar123

jasoncuellar123 I’m probably awake. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,886
    Russell Brand’s Recovery: Freedom From Our Addictions is a book I’d really recommend if you’re struggling with some of these issues.

If you think you’ve had it bad, lol....

Sometimes we think we’re too far gone to be pulled back.....

Ninjakid and superb like this.
  5. Kruiser

Kruiser Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $1,036
    @Fox, thanks for posting!

I just want to second what @Jakeeck said. If you struggle with serious depression, at least look into your diet.

My wife had very serious mental health struggles a few years ago. Very serious. Then one day she said "I've been doing some research and I think my diet is my problem." I thought that was about the stupidest thing I'd ever heard (though I had enough sense not to say as much). She actually had been eating what passes for "healthy" for tons of folks (nearly vegan, lots of grains and starches, etc.).

Now she eats meat and non-starchy vegetables almost exclusively and is fine. In fact, I can tell when she's gone off her diet and has had grains and starches because she is sad, irritable, and scared of everything.

NickB, superb, Mutant and 2 others like this.
  6. Jakeeck

Rep Bank:
    $3,889
    Yep. It's a serious issue for a lot of people and many just don't understand how diet can destroy a person so much.

Anyone who's interested, SCD and GAPS diet are great starting points.

JFCopy and Kruiser like this.
  7. garyfritz

garyfritz Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $4,018
    If it's not being too nosy, what sort of physiological issue causes such a bad reaction to starches?

Jakeeck likes this.
  8. Jakeeck

Rep Bank:
    $3,889
    Dysbiosis (imbalance between good gut bacteria and bad). The bacteria feed on starches, so when you have an imbalance toward the bad guys, they multiply and you feel progressively worse.

garyfritz likes this.
  9. JFCopy

JFCopy Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $662
    Come to Fastlane for the entrepreneurial advice, stay for the crazy way certain forum posts seem to line up with what's going on in your life.

If I'm not being too nosy (I very well might be), does anyone have experience with mental health medications and how going off of them interacted with your ability to do business / be an entrepreneur?

Doctors prescribed me a ridiculous cocktail at the age of 17 (over a gram of substances a day, including popular "college drugs" you'd recognize, at a near-therapeutic dose); I finally went off of most of them late last year.

I wish I could say I felt amazing (I don't)...but I will say that I've realized so many of the problems I face stem from an internal mindset and, yeah, most likely diet. I haven't experimented with diet yet. I really need to. I know I have a carb addiction that needs breaking.

If anyone has any entrepreneurial experiences related to their life changing when they got off of meds, I'd love to hear them.

(Note: Don't go off your meds if you're on them and need them. No shame in that either!)

10. Mutant

Mutant Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $468
    Thank you @Fox for this thread.

When even simple life tasks can feel overwhelming, entrepreneurship can really take it to a whole new level!

+1 on the diet front. Am working on mine & have found I'm dairy intolerant - & for anyone else who is you can get non-dairy kefir, which tastes like yoghurt (I miss it!) & gives you the same kick of probiotics.

Also a really interesting book is "Healing Without Freud or Prozac" by Dr David Servan-Schriber. There's a preview here with a good chunk of the section on omega 3s:
    Healing Without Freud or Prozac

NickB and jasoncuellar123 like this.