The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Men's Coaching Business - Getting Started

Marketing, social media, advertising

ewellnessdoc

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 20, 2020
I've had a website up and running for about four months now for a men's health and wellness coaching business. Clients have yet to come. However, my approach is organic rather than PA so I can expect to wait a while. I'm a licensed doctor who has converted from conventional medicine to personal improvement in clients. What are strategies for getting "found" online? I've done the keyword research and optimized my pages. What is next? Should I be cold calling likely places in my region of operation? Working on backlinks? Writing blogs about my services with relevant keywords? All of the above?

I'm also working on an MBA and keep envisioning the cover of my entrepreneurship textbook, which was a cave explorer entering a pitch black cave with nothing but a headlamp. Seems like the story of entrepreneurship!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
You get found by helping people.

Unfortunately, theres a lot of helpful content from a lot of people. Are you bringing anything new to the table? That’s not a question you get to answer, it’s a question the market answers.

You put out content, that helps people, where people are paying attention online, and then offer them a paid solution that best fits your audience, and THEN you make money.

Audience first, product/service second.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Writing blogs about my services with relevant keywords?

So to piggy back on Johnny boy's point, don't focus on your services per se. Focus on writing content that suits their needs. Do that keyword research first. Then check to see if others have already written good content about that. Is that keyword saturated? If not, proceed. If so, keep searching.

I have to ask, why are you committed to SEO as your marketing strategy? There are tons of ways to get clients. Have you asked for referrals?

I don't know the first thing about the marketplace on this site other than its $45 . I imagine that there are some guys on here who can use some health and wellness coaching. How convincing is your offer Doc?

Juan Pimentel

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Jul 10, 2019
Mesa Arizona
I've had a website up and running for about four months now for a men's health and wellness coaching business. Clients have yet to come. However, my approach is organic rather than PA so I can expect to wait a while. I'm a licensed doctor who has converted from conventional medicine to personal improvement in clients. What are strategies for getting "found" online? I've done the keyword research and optimized my pages. What is next? Should I be cold calling likely places in my region of operation? Working on backlinks? Writing blogs about my services with relevant keywords? All of the above?

I'm also working on an MBA and keep envisioning the cover of my entrepreneurship textbook, which was a cave explorer entering a pitch black cave with nothing but a headlamp. Seems like the story of entrepreneurship!
Make youtube videos, write blog posts, make your self standout from the crowd. And like Johnny said what’s you unique selling point? Whatever it is go full on. Ask yourself why will my client benefit from my product. Also if you need to learn copy writing! Good luck!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I good start would be Quora, offer your expertise there by answering questions and solving problems. You won't get paid doing it, but it gets your name and philosophy out there.

ewellnessdoc

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 20, 2020
So to piggy back on Johnny boy's point, don't focus on your services per se. Focus on writing content that suits their needs. Do that keyword research first. Then check to see if others have already written good content about that. Is that keyword saturated? If not, proceed. If so, keep searching.

I have to ask, why are you committed to SEO as your marketing strategy? There are tons of ways to get clients. Have you asked for referrals?

I don't know the first thing about the marketplace on this site other than its $45 . I imagine that there are some guys on here who can use some health and wellness coaching. How convincing is your offer Doc?

I use google trends and moz for keyword research. I guess there's always recommendations on monthly volume and whatnot. I try for searches landing between 0-500, but have some above 1000. Thanks for the recommendations on saturation. I'll keep that in mind.

I have sent emails to some local fitness centers, but perhaps they would rather utilize their personal trainers even though it's an entirely different approach - coaching versus personal training. Perhaps I also need to work on my sales pitch or actually call the places up. I'm also trying to build up my social media presence on Youtube and LinkedIn, but it's a slow process.

I'll check into the market here. Where do I pay the 45? I'll look in the meantime.

ewellnessdoc

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 20, 2020
I good start would be Quora, offer your expertise there by answering questions and solving problems. You won't get paid doing it, but it gets your name and philosophy out there.
I will be sure to do that. Coming from the health and wellness field, I understand social media publishing as a social media zone is critical. I'll give Quora some attention and probably consider Blogger. I don't want to spread myself thin on too many social sites, but believe content will get me in the right direction. A few good ones should suffice. Thanks for the advice.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
You can do none of that if you wish.

How do you want to grow your coaching business?

When you're deciding which direction to grow your business, where you want to go, it is very easy to think first "HOW do I get there?"

It's all messed up, because there's a better question to ask yourself. The question is "How do I want my business to be?".

How do you want your daily routine to look like? With which clients would you love working? How many hours do you want to work? What profit would you like to bring in? Do you want to sell your services online? Do you prefer to stay out of the online world? Would you enjoy hosting masterminds, or would you LOVE to create an exclusive, tailor-made experience for your clients? Perhaps in nature?

Getting really clear on that, on what your business would look like.

So to better understand how to grow your business, you might want to ask yourself first how you would enjoy your business and life to be, and then reverse engineer your strategy.

How I went to grow my coaching business to six figures, was very simple:

1. Slow down. See who there is in your close circle right now that might need help.
2. Reach out and invite them into a conversation.

It was 100% offline. I didn't post, blog, do videos or any of the sorts.

There are probably right that already know, like and trust you, either personally or from your doctor practice, that would LOVE for you to help them with your health & wellness coaching.

What if you reached out to those, and said "Hey, I think I can serve you even better. Let's have a conversation about what you're trying to create."?

Now I'm starting to focus more on the marketing side, but that has come after having loads of clients, and bringing real, tangible results to them. Marketing is definitely important, but it takes time to build it to consistently bring you clients.

GigMistress

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Nov 19, 2019
A cornfield in the Midwest

Seconding this (not that MJ needs to be seconded). I started using Quora with no thought to using it for marketing and pretty quickly started getting messages from prospective clients. It's not what it used to be--quality of both questions and responses have gone downhill and strangely a fair number of people seem to think it's a dating site. But, there are still plenty of people looking for credible answers.

ewellnessdoc

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 20, 2020

When you're deciding which direction to grow your business, where you want to go, it is very easy to think first "HOW do I get there?"

It's all messed up, because there's a better question to ask yourself. The question is "How do I want my business to be?".

How do you want your daily routine to look like? With which clients would you love working? How many hours do you want to work? What profit would you like to bring in? Do you want to sell your services online? Do you prefer to stay out of the online world? Would you enjoy hosting masterminds, or would you LOVE to create an exclusive, tailor-made experience for your clients? Perhaps in nature?

So to better understand how to grow your business, you might want to ask yourself first how you would enjoy your business and life to be, and then reverse engineer your strategy.

1. Slow down. See who there is in your close circle right now that might need help.

There are probably right that already know, like and trust you, either personally or from your doctor practice, that would LOVE for you to help them with your health & wellness coaching.

What if you reached out to those, and said "Hey, I think I can serve you even better. Let's have a conversation about what you're trying to create."?

Now I'm starting to focus more on the marketing side, but that has come after having loads of clients, and bringing real, tangible results to them. Marketing is definitely important, but it takes time to build it to consistently bring you clients.
Well put. Autonomy over endpoint. I'm working on some different tactics with local businesses.

I feel my close circle is not as close as it use to be after starting a new life with family and children. Medical school and undergrad created some contacts. I only did residency for a short period as it was not the work-life balance I imagined. Life happens, ya know. Now, I'm trying to use my education and experience to put together something real. I've essentially done everything myself and put together a health and wellness coaching program that is evidence-based, practical, and virtual. I use a techy, telehealth EMR that pairs with activewear to track all the fitness-related basics.

Unfortunately, I'm not a professional in SEO, but am considering paid advertising and publishing blogs to get going in the meantime.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
Well put. Autonomy over endpoint. I'm working on some different tactics with local businesses.

I feel my close circle is not as close as it use to be after starting a new life with family and children. Medical school and undergrad created some contacts. I only did residency for a short period as it was not the work-life balance I imagined. Life happens, ya know. Now, I'm trying to use my education and experience to put together something real. I've essentially done everything myself and put together a health and wellness coaching program that is evidence-based, practical, and virtual. I use a techy, telehealth EMR that pairs with activewear to track all the fitness-related basics.

Unfortunately, I'm not a professional in SEO, but am considering paid advertising and publishing blogs to get going in the meantime.

One strategy you might want to use is joint ventures.
Who has the clients that you want to reach, is not a competitor and would absolutely be delighted if you helped their clients?

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Knowledgeformen.com and artofmanliness.com and orderofman.com are my top 3 "Mens coaching"

ewellnessdoc

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 20, 2020
One strategy you might want to use is joint ventures.
Who has the clients that you want to reach, is not a competitor and would absolutely be delighted if you helped their clients?
This is a good thought. I've given this consideration. The first businesses that comes to mind is men's health clinics, low T centers, and gyms. I will continue to reach out tomorrow.

With the latter, I suppose there can be some competition with personal trainers. However, it's an entirely different approach. As you know, a trainer trains and a coach coaches. The trainer teaches you how to perform and the coach improves performance.

Thanks for your continued input.

ewellnessdoc

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 20, 2020
Knowledgeformen.com and artofmanliness.com and orderofman.com are my top 3 "Mens coaching"
Thank you. I greatly appreciate it. Are you a men's coach yourself?

I sent in a blog to artofmanliness.com so far but have yet to hear back. They only take them via snail mail so I expect the reply to be a few weeks. I will check out the other two.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Thank you. I greatly appreciate it. Are you a men's coach yourself?

I sent in a blog to artofmanliness.com so far but have yet to hear back. They only take them via snail mail so I expect the reply to be a few weeks. I will check out the other two.
Knowledgeformen.com is the only one that does any actual coaching.

Check out these websites. All 3 are very unique/different from each other. Learn from each of them. See how you can set yourself apart.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Do we need another coaching business out there? There must be thousands of these out already.

Throw it in the fireplace and move on IMO, 4 months of no clients? Why continue? Yes it can be painful to throw in the towel, but if you acknowledge sunk cost fallacy it's not so bad to chalk it up as a learning experience.

You'll most likely ignore this advice but thought its worth throwing out the idea. Numbers don't lie, 4 months is a long time.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Do we need another coaching business out there? There must be thousands of these out already.

Throw it in the fireplace and move on IMO, 4 months of no clients? Why continue? Yes it can be painful to throw in the towel, but if you acknowledge sunk cost fallacy it's not so bad to chalk it up as a learning experience.

You'll most likely ignore this advice but thought its worth throwing out the idea. Numbers don't lie, 4 months is a long time.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
This is a good thought. I've given this consideration. The first businesses that comes to mind is men's health clinics, low T centers, and gyms. I will continue to reach out tomorrow.

With the latter, I suppose there can be some competition with personal trainers. However, it's an entirely different approach. As you know, a trainer trains and a coach coaches. The trainer teaches you how to perform and the coach improves performance.

Thanks for your continued input.

Yeah, make a list of 10 health clinics, centers and gyms and reach out to them.

You will get NOs, but one yes can change things up quite a bit.

If you want some further help with that, let me know.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI

@Tiago
This is great advice.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.