The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Maybe my 'why' is not strong enough

Anything related to matters of the mind

rajakamil

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 12, 2018
Malaysia
Hi.
Currently my reason to success is to take care my family well being.

Foods, education, place to live, little bit fun here and there.

But, I guess it's not enough to drive me go beyond what currently I'm doing.

Is the 'why' really a must to drive success ?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada

Are you already meeting these needs? If so, you'll need to dig deeper.

Check out this thread for some wisdom and inspiration.

GOLD! - Does It Hurt Bad Enough?

Dave Daily

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Feb 22, 2018
Chico, CA
I'm sure you've heard the story of the young man who asked Socrates, "What is the secret to success?" If not, here it is:

One day, a young man went to the home of Socrates, the great Greek philosopher, and asked, "Sir, I have come to seek your wisdom. Will you help me?"
Socrates looked at the boy and replied, "How can I be of assistance?"
The boy responded, "I want to be a great success. Will you teach me all I need to know so I can be a great success?"

"Certainly, my son," replied Socrates. "Walk with me." Socrates began to walk and headed towards the sea. Once on the sand, Socrates continued to walk straight into the water. The young man followed. When both were chest deep in the ocean, Socrates placed his hands on the young man's head and quickly forced it under the water. After about ten seconds, the young man fought his way to the surface and began to gasp for air. Socrates released the boy’s head, turned and walked away.

The young man was appalled. He had traveled a great distance to meet with this scholar whom he admired and respected and when he asked for his wisdom all he did was put his head under water. Never again, vowed the young man, would he seek the advice of Socrates.

However, time as we know, has a way of healing wounds and after a week went by, the young man thought maybe he did something to upset Socrates. So back he went to visit the scholar. Again he beseeched Socrates to teach him all he needed to know so he could be a great success.

Socrates smiled and once again agreed. He asked the young man to follow him and again they walked toward the ocean. Just like before, Socrates walked in the water and, when the water was chest high, Socrates grabbed the young man by his head and pushed it under water. This time, however, the young man was ready. Before going under, he took a big gulp of air and held his breath for almost for thirty seconds before coming up gasping for air. As he wiped the water from his eyes, he saw Socrates already on the shore walking away.

Now the young man was livid. Twice he had approached Socrates for the knowledge he needed to become a great success and twice Socrates took him to the ocean and put his head under water. Never ever again would he be insulted and humiliated like this.

Well, thirty days passed and the young man had time to reflect. He truly wanted to be a success. Socrates had the wisdom he needed so he decided to go one final time to see the scholar. Upon arriving at Socrates’ home, he rapped on the door. When Socrates appeared, the young man said, "I hope you remember me?"
Socrates flashed a big smile and said, "I do. You are the young man who wants to be a great success."
The young man once again asked Socrates, "Will you please teach me all I need to know and all I need to learn to be a success?"
Socrates nodded and said, "Absolutely." Then he started walking toward the ocean with the young man following in step.

This time the young man was well prepared. As soon as Socrates grabbed his head, he took a deep swallow of air, relaxed and was able to hold his breath underwater for almost two minutes. When he finally surfaced for air, Socrates had already walked away.

Furious the young man ran after Socrates. When he was a few feet from Socrates he shouted, "Socrates, why is it every time I come to you and ask for your help to gain the wisdom and the knowledge on how to be a great success, all you do is take me out in the water and dunk my head?"

Socrates turned around, faced the young man, and said, "Son, I have tried three times now to teach you the secret of being a great success. The secret is simple: When you want to succeed as much as you want to breathe, you will be a great success."

MJ's "F*ck This Event" is the point at which you are willing to fight for the air, but you first have to have your head forced under water by a life event. The young man in this story sought out the experience and thus received it at the hands of Socrates. So, you have to first engage with life to have life knock you around a bit. Then perhaps, your Socrates will appear to try to drown you. Then maybe you'll find the greater need to breathe, to find your "why" as you put it.

I've had a lot happen to me in life, but like you, I'm not sure if I've had a pure FTE yet. I think by switching to the Fastlane, you have a higher chance of getting there.

Last edited:

rajakamil

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 12, 2018
Malaysia
I'm sure you've heard the story of the young man who asked Socrates, "What is the secret to success?" If not, here it is:

One day, a young man went to the home of Socrates, the great Greek philosopher, and asked, "Sir, I have come to seek your wisdom. Will you help me?"
Socrates looked at the boy and replied, "How can I be of assistance?"
The boy responded, "I want to be a great success. Will you teach me all I need to know so I can be a great success?"

"Certainly, my son," replied Socrates. "Walk with me." Socrates began to walk and headed towards the sea. Once on the sand, Socrates continued to walk straight into the water. The young man followed. When both were chest deep in the ocean, Socrates placed his hands on the young man's head and quickly forced it under the water. After about ten seconds, the young man fought his way to the surface and began to gasp for air. Socrates released the boy’s head, turned and walked away.

The young man was appalled. He had traveled a great distance to meet with this scholar whom he admired and respected and when he asked for his wisdom all he did was put his head under water. Never again, vowed the young man, would he seek the advice of Socrates.

However, time as we know, has a way of healing wounds and after a week went by, the young man thought maybe he did something to upset Socrates. So back he went to visit the scholar. Again he beseeched Socrates to teach him all he needed to know so he could be a great success.

Socrates smiled and once again agreed. He asked the young man to follow him and again they walked toward the ocean. Just like before, Socrates walked in the water and, when the water was chest high, Socrates grabbed the young man by his head and pushed it under water. This time, however, the young man was ready. Before going under, he took a big gulp of air and held his breath for almost for thirty seconds before coming up gasping for air. As he wiped the water from his eyes, he saw Socrates already on the shore walking away.

Now the young man was livid. Twice he had approached Socrates for the knowledge he needed to become a great success and twice Socrates took him to the ocean and put his head under water. Never ever again would he be insulted and humiliated like this.

Well, thirty days passed and the young man had time to reflect. He truly wanted to be a success. Socrates had the wisdom he needed so he decided to go one final time to see the scholar. Upon arriving at Socrates’ home, he rapped on the door. When Socrates appeared, the young man said, "I hope you remember me?"
Socrates flashed a big smile and said, "I do. You are the young man who wants to be a great success."
The young man once again asked Socrates, "Will you please teach me all I need to know and all I need to learn to be a success?"
Socrates nodded and said, "Absolutely." Then he started walking toward the ocean with the young man following in step.

This time the young man was well prepared. As soon as Socrates grabbed his head, he took a deep swallow of air, relaxed and was able to hold his breath underwater for almost two minutes. When he finally surfaced for air, Socrates had already walked away.

Furious the young man ran after Socrates. When he was a few feet from Socrates he shouted, "Socrates, why is it every time I come to you and ask for your help to gain the wisdom and the knowledge on how to be a great success, all you do is take me out in the water and dunk my head?"

Socrates turned around, faced the young man, and said, "Son, I have tried three times now to teach you the secret of being a great success. The secret is simple: When you want to succeed as much as you want to breathe, you will be a great success."

MJ's "f*ck This Event" is the point at which you are willing to fight for the air, but you first have to have your headed forced under water by a life event. The young man in this story sought out the experience and thus received it at the hands of Socrates. So, you have to first engage with life to have life knock you around a bit. Then perhaps, your Socrates will appear to try to drown you. Then maybe you'll find the greater need to breathe, to find your "why" as you put it.

I've had a lot happen to me in life, but like you, I'm not sure if I've had a pure FTE yet. I think by switching to the Fastlane, you have a higher chance of getting there.
Thanks Hugh. This is my first time read about this.

So much wisdom.

rajakamil

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 12, 2018
Malaysia
Get specific. Dial it in as far as you can, get emotional about it as if your life depends on it - because it does.
My life was worse than now.
It was so emotional that I don't want to live my past live ever.
But in the same time, I stuck here at the current level.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Hi.

If that was my why, I could provide that for my family on the salary of a fast food worker.

Not everyone is an entrepreneur. Not everyone is cut out to be a business owner.

Maybe you're not.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States

Yesterday was the 4th time I wanted to throw my cards down on the table and walk away from the business.

I wanted to curl up in the fetal position and cry.

I shouted expletives in my kitchen and wanted to bang my head on my desk repeatedly.

There was no one to ask "What should I do?"

It was just me.

My WHY is what got me back up to fight another day.

I didn't have to wonder about whether or not I should continue. Because deep down, I knew that I MUST do this.

If you don't think you can make it through the dark times, when everything is going wrong and falling down around you. If you would rather turn around when the road gets tough (and it will), than to keep going...

Then your why is not strong enough.

Last edited:

Lord Business

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Feb 24, 2018
finland
I think you answered your own question - in that light it is too weak. Because you clearly have a drive to do more - where does that come from? I don't think that it's the matter of having it or not, but uncovering it. It took me years to do it and I'm still in the process.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
This is just my opinion, but if you don't have a why, it's kind of like aiming in a million directions without a goal in mind. Kind blowing in the wind with no where in mind to go.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Not really a why.

You just identified yourself as being like everyone else.

Any one with family wants these things.

They make you no different than 99.9% of the world.

MJ's "f*ck This Event" is the point at which you are willing to fight for the air, but you first have to have your headed forced under water by a life event. The young man in this story sought out the experience and thus received it at the hands of Socrates. So, you have to first engage with life to have life knock you around a bit. Then perhaps, your Socrates will appear to try to drown you. Then maybe you'll find the greater need to breathe, to find your "why" as you put it.

Great story and analog, a goodie! Thanks + Rep+!

And it is so true...

You got to want it like your life depended on it.

Comfort is not in the equation.

You can't be comfortable when your head is under water desperately grasping for air.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
What is your "why"?

The specifics are too entwined with the nature of the business for me to disclose publicly.

But to say it in a generic way... to leave an impact, an improvement on society.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hi.

I haven't thought about the "why" in years. The journey itself has become an ingrained lifestyle -- a set of habits -- an ever expanding focus...
I think it's more about that drive and focus that propels us forward, rather than "why". The whole idea of "why" is too narrow a concept, and more mechanical in nature. Without this journey, my life would NOT have the interesting flavors and eye-catching side trips. It also would not have generated some pretty awesome failures. All in all, it would have been pretty dull.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.