The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Much Money Is Enough For You?

StartToday

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Sep 22, 2017
Between Goku's strong thighs
10k/month would be enough for me to truly feel free. I could live anywhere in the world with such passive income.

But I have a feeling that when I get close to that, I'll probably push for a little more (15k or 20k).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

justonemore

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 19, 2017
NewYork
I can live off $35k/year. I'm minimalist. A PC and an old sportscar and I'm happy.

For me though, 'enough' is having income I don't have to stress about losing. Industries/products/websites falling down, losing popularity. That's what stresses me.
If I could get $35k/yr passive without a real fear of that passive money drying up, then that would be enough.

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
Enough to provide for my family and also allow us to work from home (or wherever we choose). I don't need fancy things, but I certainly want to be there for my family as much as possible.

D

Deleted52409

I wouldn't want people to know that I'm rich. And I'm not even sure if I would be able to spend much over $100,000 in a year. I despise fancy cars, suits, ultra huge mansions, $800 iphones, and private jets. That money would be better used for experiences rather than items I can't take with me when I die.

All I need is $5 million dollars and a ranch house in Montana and I will sleep 14 hours a day and spend the rest of my life traveling/exploring nature.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
As long as I am growing and learning I will be making more money. So the point where I am no longer learning and growing is the point where I am doing something seriously wrong.

So I guess it will never be enough. I don't mean that in the sense that I need millions a month to be happy, I mean that in a way that it is a byproduct of personal growth.

Aim high, reach higher.

Nomadic

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jan 16, 2016
I don't like to put a number on it. Enough to be free and live a fulfilled lifestyle.

Much appreciated and informative post. However, I have to say, it seems like you are posting these things as if they are facts rather than just personal experiences. I think everyone will encounter their own sets of problems as they are on the rise, but it might not necessarily be these problems.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I wrote this about half a year ago:
I am also curious to hear your perspective on how money affects your Social Life as well as your Happiness and what is the best way to handle these (maybe, that's going towards the more experienced).

Regards,
Damian Pros
I still work everyday. The sun comes up and I go to work. Overall, I LOVE the real estate game. I have played monopoly with real money almost all of my adult life. Yes, I could sell out my real estate holdings, and I'd have a lot less stresses and a pile of money. But, what would do with it? My investment returns, dollar for dollar, would tank. And also important, my rental units house about 150 people, who are in low to moderate income households. (50 of those residents are children; 18 of the households have disabled or senior residents.) I help more people per month than most social workers. Yes, taking care of my rentals is a pain in the a$$ a lot of day -- BUT, it's a good, reliable, passive income stream, with the added perk of ample depreciation. It gives me my strutting money to play the game.

I can tell you as that you grow older, you need less stuff. Next Wednesday is my birthday... again... #64! At this point in my life, who am I going to impress? I just don't need a bunch of possessions to make me happy. Being comfortable is lot more important to me. Simple, well cooked meals, that I fix, and serve to my husband at my kitchen table, taste a lot better than a night at a impersonal restaurant. I wear comfortable clothes rather than stylish ones. I like them better. I don't want a huge house to clean and care for. Even hiring help to come in clean, is just another hassle. I'm into the KISS theory. (Keep it simple, Stupid) I'm totally conservative in my personal life. I don't personally need much anymore.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Reach that point of measured adaptation.
No, it's more of a letting go process. What I needed when I young... what I thought I wanted... what I thought I was working for... what kept me up at night... what drove me night and day... has lost its power. It really doesn't matter anymore. Less is truly more. Simple is better. It's deep contentment of my inner being and soul.

No, I'm not dying. I just living in the here and now, for myself and my loved ones. Yes, I'm still working everyday. I stop working when I get tired or bored. Then I come home to cross country ski or snow shoe during the winter. During the summers, I take long walks in our woods with our dog. I cook wonderful meals for my husband. We cut firewood all summer. We do projects at home and on my rentals. I quilt with my friends on Thursday afternoons. My life is basically quiet, and as busy as I want to be.

A. Rodriguez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 5, 2018
Nigeria
In the movie, Wall Street, Money Never Sleeps, Shia Lebouf asks the rich financier, Josh Brolin “How much money is enough? What number is enough for you?” His answer?

MORE.

I believe MORE is ENVY.

Envy is a prescription for unhappiness because there will always be someone else with something better, bigger, and faster. In other words, the illusion of MORE never arrives. MORE keeps you confined in future thinking and denies all the joys of your present.

Instead, find your ENOUGH.

Strive for more, but know how much and what exactly is your enough. Be grateful for what you have. (Many people around the world don’t have clean water, toilets, food, etc.) You might be shocked at how close you are to “enough” — once you get there, you gain immunity from the rampant message of consumerism.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
In the movie, Wall Street, Money Never Sleeps, Shia Lebouf asks the rich financier, Josh Brolin “How much money is enough? What number is enough for you?” His answer?

MORE.

I believe MORE is ENVY.

Envy is a prescription for unhappiness because there will always be someone else with something better, bigger, and faster. In other words, the illusion of MORE never arrives. MORE keeps you confined in future thinking and denies all the joys of your present.

Instead, find your ENOUGH.

Strive for more, but know how much and what exactly is your enough. Be grateful for what you have. (Many people around the world don’t have clean water, toilets, food, etc.) You might be shocked at how close you are to “enough” — once you get there, you gain immunity from the rampant message of consumerism.

in our western world , people are not smart enough to live for meanings and less like asian traditions and primitive culture ( africa and so on)

westerner are still animals with impulse like child in a candy store.

this is well calculated by bankers with their fiat currency scam: to make people work for things they don't need

so bankers can con them with stupid debt for a lifetime.

i am waiting for the main disaster that will end this way of life because this is inevitable:

war, major financial crisis and so on which are waiting behind the scenes

yes people don't believe a word i say and i am kind of the dork of the forum

---> but laughs best who laughs last

i will be the first to come here on this forum to laugh when the medias announce that a main disaster has just hitten america.

i promise you before great visonnaries of manking through history

plato.jpg

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I think I can have a pretty comfortable life earning US$20,000 per month, but my ultimate dream would be more like US$85,000 to S$100,000++ per month. Basically, around the range of "big money" as mentioned in Unscripted lol

That would be enough to take good care of my parents, get girls with lesser effort and build an indoor swimming pool, pay for premium gym membership, and stop working at a sickening 9-6 job. I will learn baking, dancing, singing, volunteer at pet shelters, take dogs out for walks for others for free, foreign languages,.....

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
[QUOTE="Xeon, post: 664011, member: 50816]That would be enough to take good care of my parents, get girls with lesser effort and build an indoor swimming pool, pay for premium gym membership, and stop working at a sickening 9-6 job. I will learn baking, dancing, singing, volunteer at pet shelters, take dogs out for walks for others for free, foreign languages,.....[/QUOTE]
Start doing all those things today with at least a small portion of your day. When I was very young, I was always going to happy when XXXX happened. I worked 24/7/365. Then I had a major health shake-up, and almost died from it. I had ask myself, "If I die today, when am I going to let myself be happy?" It completely changed me. Yes, I still get up and work everyday. I do something even though I'm semi-retired. Yes, I've been successful in my life. I just try everyday to stop and smell the flowers along the way.

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
Maybe $3000 reliable monthly income. Once I have that I will start using money for my own ventures outside of my service business.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Start doing all those things today with at least a small portion of your day. When I was very young, I was always going to happy when XXXX happened. I worked 24/7/365. Then I had a major health shake-up, and almost died from it. I had ask myself, "If I die today, when am I going to let myself be happy?" It completely changed me. Yes, I still get up and work everyday. I do something even though I'm semi-retired. Yes, I've been successful in my life. I just try everyday to stop and smell the flowers along the way.

Yup, I'm actually doing a couple of these as hobbies in my free time. I could work 16 hrs a day on my fastlane project for 6 yrs straight but what if during the 6th year I get a stroke or WW3 happens? So I agree with you, living a balanced life is most important. Something like 85% work and 15% non-work (hobbies, gym, family etc.)
Of course, the goal is to push it to become 100% non-work!

I'm not sure how much the other successful fastlaners here like amp, a.jon, mj, biophase, vigilante, sinisterlex work when they start, but I assume they "go all in" (meaning, no family, no exercise, zero social life, don't see your dog for 5 yrs, face the screen 21 hrs a day with 3 hrs sleep, repeat...)

Last edited:

Smuggo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 13, 2018
I think I can't tell how much money would be enough for me. My needs will change with time and the amount of money I have. And, according to your graph, it will be the moment I feel that I don't feel happy earning more money.

The hard part is breaking the Parkinson's law saying that no matter how much money people earn, people tend to spend the entire amount and a little bit more besides.

Also that was written in "Unscripted " -> "What would you do if you have all money you need, and you don't have to work anymore". I think it was something like that and for me it is really important question. At first, I didn't know what I would and that scared me. Now I have some ideas and somehow it makes me feel even better.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.