The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Maximizing assimilation of Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted

ozobsessed

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 27, 2017
Brisbane
Hi All,

I read a lot of books in the motivational/entrepenural and business space, and find a lot of time that although I assimilate some key points from these books, I feel that I don't always either retain or put into practice some of the other vital aspects of the book.

For Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted , there are a number of formula and in-depth concepts that I want to put in practice, to make a habit and become part of my process.

I am keen to get other users feedback on their strategies to assimilate these key aspects of these books to improve their odds in the entrepenural aspect of their life.

Some key strategies I intend to do is:
  • Have Audible and Kindle version using the Whispersync for voice function of the book so I see the words as they are read out so my full attention is on the content (no multi tasking)
  • Have the paperback version to provide written annotations in the margins and so that I have a quick reference if I am needing to refer back to a section that I have previously read
  • Allocate a portion of my day to this activity within my calendar. By doing this, I find that I am more than likely to go through with it rather than unintentionally skip it
  • Go through the formulas on paper and look at real life examples to try and better understand the formulas.
  • In areas I don't understand, refer back to the forum , search, and if the answer sin't available , then I would create a thread and hopefully a seasoned member can provide the answers I seek.
  • To provide back to the forum so that others in the same position are able to see both my process and challenges.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
One of the major strategies of getting ahead with the concepts are to simply throw oneself into the Value-Giving Business/Product/Service etc. while actually applying the strategies.

When I completed Unscripted , I was ready and excited to take my notes (from reading the book) and 'make more notes' about what I'll do/not do prior to actually putting it to use in my biz because it wasn't quite set-up as yet, but then I recognised the concepts would only be of greater use if I literally take them and place them to my biz, this is when I began recognising how to proceed.

It's kind of like knowing about bikes from someone else's experience, then taking notes about bike-riding and then stating - this is what I'll do and what I won't; when honestly, the only way to overstand the actual bike-riding experience is to take what you learnt on paper and apply it, that's the only way you'll recognise how and what works for you. Don't get me wrong, the forum is ideal in us sharing ideas and activity that gets us ahead, but the real fun comes when we commit and put things in action. So, kudos on deciding what you are going to do to get ahead - each journey is different, but meaningful in unique ways.

On the journey, it is important to recognise that we will make mistakes, the most important thing is recognising the lesson behind the mistakes and the use of each lesson to elevate and continue building success within our businesses and with our customers.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I don't know what you do or what kind of business you run but this seems like a massive waste of time. I can understand not wanting to forget key concepts, but the forum and its progress threads are the living embodiments of the key concepts in the book. If you're here, you won't forget.

If you gotta study anything, study the progress threads and put 2 and 2 together. Then, of course, go ahead and take basic, forward-moving action.

then I would create a thread and hopefully a seasoned member can provide the answers I seek.

please no

ozobsessed

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 27, 2017
Brisbane
I don't know what you do or what kind of business you run but this seems like a massive waste of time. I can understand not wanting to forget key concepts, but the forum and its progress threads are the living embodiments of the key concepts in the book. If you're here, you won't forget.

If you gotta study anything, study the progress threads and put 2 and 2 together. Then, of course, go ahead and take basic, forward-moving action.

please no
Thanks The-J for your candid feedback. I will certainly endeavour to both assimilate the information on the forum and to hopefully contribute in a constructive way that will inform and benefit others. I ran a business for 5 years, and while profitable, I didn't have the tools or mindset at the time to grow it and subsequently sold for the same value I bought it for. Currently I am an employee in a R&D division of a large Aerospace company and and learning the aspects of transitioning research technology into products, but a lot of their challenges are aren't to the ones I will face as a entrepreneur in training.

MJ has highlighted a lot of issues I have seen in life both in the business arena and my personal life , family and friends. I think this is why it resonates with so many people. It is so easy to be comfortable in a scripted life, to be distracted by the latest spiderman movie or reality show. I am hoping that being a part of this community I can gain a lot of different perspectives on issues, and in a way consider this forum like a psuedo a board of directors, providing advice and perspectives and allowing me to make the best decisions based on more than my own perspective.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
This:

GOLD - Absolute Beginners Guide to TMF & TFLF

Read the gold threads too.

The book emphasizes action. It's cool to learn the formulas. However, taking action should be the end goal.

This thread is a form of action-faking. You learn better by practicing, not repeating your notes over and over.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Hi All,

I read a lot of books in the motivational/entrepenural and business space, and find a lot of time that although I assimilate some key points from these books, I feel that I don't always either retain or put into practice some of the other vital aspects of the book.

For Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted , there are a number of formula and in-depth concepts that I want to put in practice, to make a habit and become part of my process.

I am keen to get other users feedback on their strategies to assimilate these key aspects of these books to improve their odds in the entrepenural aspect of their life.

• Have Audible and Kindle version using the Whispersync for voice function of the book so I see the words as they are read out so my full attention is on the content (no multi tasking)
  • Have the paperback version to provide written annotations in the margins and so that I have a quick reference if I am needing to refer back to a section that I have previously read
  • Allocate a portion of my day to this activity within my calendar. By doing this, I find that I am more than likely to go through with it rather than unintentionally skip it
  • Go through the formulas on paper and look at real life examples to try and better understand the formulas.
  • In areas I don't understand, refer back to the forum , search, and if the answer sin't available , then I would create a thread and hopefully a seasoned member can provide the answers I seek.
  • To provide back to the forum so that others in the same position are able to see both my process and challenges.

Once you've done your reading, seems to me that action is the way forward. You can always check in on the book and forum when you need to brush up on a concept, but you will definitely learn the most when you are actually DOING and receiving feedback from the marketplace... Best of luck!

ozobsessed

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 27, 2017
Brisbane
This:

GOLD - Absolute Beginners Guide to TMF & TFLF

Read the gold threads too.

The book emphasizes action. It's cool to learn the formulas. However, taking action should be the end goal.

This thread is a form of action-faking. You learn better by practicing, not repeating your notes over and over.
Thanks. Great start for me to research. MJ packs so much details and formula into his book. I also find as well as the broad strokes of what he is saying, that I need to go over the formulas and concepts so that I can internalise them. I am also the kind of person that will give things a go. So I hope to do both, research get feedback but also to just do it , and on occasion with varying success.

Last edited:

Tim Allen Jr.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 6, 2017
virginia
Hi All,

I fall into the same mindset as you.... not wanting to forget anything awesome i've read and try to implement everything. It can be exhausting and and overwhelming. However, your strategic plan is solid and you should benefit greatly from it.

When i read your post it reminded me of a story I read that always comes back to me. I'm going to paraphrase it but here is the link:

A Basket of Water

There was a grandpa and a boy who wanted to be wiser, but said every time i read/heard/saw something powerful, he forgot it.

So the old man gave the boy a dirty bucket with holes and told the boy to get water from the river. The boy said "grandpa, it has holes in it, it wont work". The grandpa responded "just try it'. So the boy goes to the stream, but by the time he gets back there's no water the bucket.

So the old man tells the boy to go to the river and try again. Once again, the boy went to the river to get water, but this time ran faster. But alas, there was no water in the bucket. The old man told him to do it again. So the boy did, and ran even faster. But again, there was no water in the bucket because of the holes. The boy finally cried and said "its impossible, theres no way to bring you the water fast enough, it's useless"

“So you think it is useless?” the old man asked. “Then look at the bucket.” The boy looked and saw for the first time that the bucket was different. It had been washed clean of the dirty coal stains and was now clean inside and out.

This is like reading, you may not remember everything, or implement everything you read, but that does not mean transformation is not happening.

That story always sticks with me. So enjoy the journey you are on, you are already doing the right things.

Last edited:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Correct me if I'm wrong: Your profile pic is of you in a graduation gown. You're an academic. You're taught to think in an academia mindset.

Screw that.

And screw your stupid post.

You either do or you don't.

If you want to "think Fastlane" and "Unscripted " then start thinking that way. Stop making plans on how to think and just think. You already acquired the knowledge. Now just accept it as truth and proceed forward.

If you accept that, then you'll save yourself an incredible amount of time. If you don't, then you'll stay at the level of a wantrepreneur academic. You decide.

ozobsessed

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 27, 2017
Brisbane
Correct me if I'm wrong: Your profile pic is of you in a graduation gown. You're an academic. You're taught to think in an academia mindset.

Screw that.

And screw your stupid post.

You either do or you don't.

If you want to "think Fastlane" and "Unscripted " then start thinking that way. Stop making plans on how to think and just think. You already acquired the knowledge. Now just accept it as truth and proceed forward.

If you accept that, then you'll save yourself an incredible amount of time. If you don't, then you'll stay at the level of a wantrepreneur academic. You decide.

Thanks for the feedback @AgainstAllOdds, I am happy to receive feedback from all comers. Unfortunately in the past that has been my problem, charging forward without plans. I have done stuff like order Campers from China to sell here through Alibaba.com only to find once I received it that they are substandard and designed so poorly that remedial fixes to meet code wasn't possible . And there are many more examples of just 'doing it.'
There is so much information packed into each chapter of TMF and Unscripted that it's easy enough to glance over without seriously taking onboard. A good example is Expected Value EV as MJ had stated in his book. I wouldn't have bought the vending machine business years ago had I known about Expect Value. I know mistakes are part of the game, I am hoping from the approach I am taking and the reaching out to forums like this, I can reach my goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
only to find once I received it that they are substandard and designed so poorly that remedial fixes to meet code wasn't possible .

That is not a reason to quit -- it is an obstacle. If a manufacturer doesn't meet code, you get them to fix it, or find another one. Taking one swing at the driving range does not make a golf pro.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for giving my books a read.

ozobsessed

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 27, 2017
Brisbane
That is not a reason to quit -- it is an obstacle. If a manufacturer doesn't meet code, you get them to fix it, or find another one. Taking one swing at the driving range does not make a golf pro.

Thanks MJ. Your right. I think it means a trip to China. The language barrier is too high for email and Skype alone, as these issues have dragged on for months. Good opportunity to try and meet with other suppliers

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015

Going off this post.. you are always going to run into obstacles. What separates the winners from the losers are the ones who keep going. In my own business ventures I've been stuck for a few months and just recently a major breakthrough. Persistency is a big piece of the puzzle

ozobsessed

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 27, 2017
Brisbane
The only way forward is through failure. You recognizing the importance of EV happened after your failure(after the fact). Just recognize the concepts and start. Overthinking is a waste of time(this comes from personal experience).

Thanks, I think that is some fairly wise words. I remember a saying from Mike Tyson. " everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the face. " Having a concept , working through the issues , getting punched in the face, recovering and adapting and making changes and continually moving forward.

Last edited:

ozobsessed

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 27, 2017
Brisbane
Going off this post.. you are always going to run into obstacles. What separates the winners from the losers are the ones who keep going. In my own business ventures I've been stuck for a few months and just recently a major breakthrough. Persistency is a big piece of the puzzle

Congrats, it sounds like your conquoring the challenges, I suppose the next challenge and you will have that bit more confidence knowing you overcome this current one.

Sean Kaye

Hopium Dealer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
365%
Jun 14, 2017
Sydney, Australia
One of the best strategies I've heard for learning the contents of a book or a training program is to read it or take it ten times. Ben Settle talks about doing this all the time - he has some books that he reads over and over again until their contents become second nature.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think it means a trip to China.

@biophase sources products from China. What separates him from others is he actually TRAVELS there are meets with manufacturers, so his products don't lack in quality, and if they do, it gets fixed damn quick. I'm sure 99% of his competitors don't do the same diligence, which is why he lives like the 1%.

bitsinmyblood

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jun 29, 2017
Washington State, USA
Thanks for the feedback @AgainstAllOdds, I am happy to receive feedback from all comers. Unfortunately in the past that has been my problem, charging forward without plans. I have done stuff like order Campers from China to sell here through Alibaba.com only to find once I received it that they are substandard and designed so poorly that remedial fixes to meet code wasn't possible . And there are many more examples of just 'doing it.'
There is so much information packed into each chapter of TMF and Unscripted that it's easy enough to glance over without seriously taking onboard. A good example is Expected Value EV as MJ had stated in his book. I wouldn't have bought the vending machine business years ago had I known about Expect Value. I know mistakes are part of the game, I am hoping from the approach I am taking and the reaching out to forums like this, I can reach my goals.

"Analysis paralysis"

ozobsessed

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 27, 2017
Brisbane
@biophase sources products from China. What separates him from others is he actually TRAVELS there are meets with manufacturers, so his products don't lack in quality, and if they do, it gets fixed damn quick. I'm sure 99% of his competitors don't do the same diligence, which is why he lives like the 1%.
Going above and beyond. These type of people are distinguishing themselves through exceptional value and being rewarded for it. Wow

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.