The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Master of All (None)

Anything related to matters of the mind
"I know something about everything and everything about something, a jack-of-all-trades and master of one"

[This post was originally shared on my newsletter called AboveSuccess, on Substack].

Dear Friend,

I know sometimes my writing might sound harsh, but always know that I have you at heart 100%.

There are a lot of different ways to make money online and even offline. We see different trends and hype around specific ones.

People are posting pictures of profits, fancy cars, and houses to show how this very business model they are into is making them loads of money.

Chanting and crying to whoever is willing to hear about how that business model is the next big thing and how everyone should get involved in it.

But the question you need to ask yourself is, "Do I really need to be doing this?"

You've been working on a business idea you got or maybe learning a skill, but after seeing all these trends on social media, you start to doubt and question if that's what you really need to be doing.

All of your doubts creep in, and you end up spending the time you should be learning that skill studying and trying to satisfy your curiosity about this newfound trend.

You decided to start learning that other skill on the side all of a sudden. So, what's next? After months of working on four, oh no, five separate projects, you have nothing to show for it.

I once came across people who list a variety of skills in their bio, while scrolling through social media. Only one man is a digital marketer, video maker, programmer, crypto trader, farmer, illustrator. Okay, I made that up, but you get the idea.

You really don't need to be up on everything. While there are a lot of flashy trends, you just need to get one going. You need to define what you really want.

What do you want to achieve? What are your life goals? Are you looking to quit your current 9-5 job, or do you simply want to try out new trends because someone said they were the next big thing?

I once wrote a short article on my Facebook timeline titled "Eating an Elephant."

Here's an excerpt from it:

How do you eat an elephant? Ever seen one before? Me neither, except on TV shows. Imagine eating a full elephant all alone. That sounds scary, right?

Now picture this elephant as a million dollars. How do you eat (make) an elephant (a million dollars)? By eating it piece-by-piece You don't wake up one morning and decide to eat a whole elephant. That's a life sentence.

So stop chasing the "big domino idea". Start a project that you can finish in the next 3-6 months. Make the first $10, then $100, $10,000, $100,000, etc.

Once you have a predefined goal, in this case, wanting to leave your 9-5 job, your goal shouldn't be to learn random skills and choke yourself with different things. Instead, your focus should be on what you can start right now that will take you closer to that goal.

In my own case, I started learning copywriting simply because I see it as an amazing skill that can aid me in selling any product on the Internet. And also, I can also offer this skill as a service to any business and use the profit to start another project.

So, instead of jumping from one thing to the next, write them down and then, once you've got one working, launch the other as long as it's leading you to your goal, which in my case is to quit my 9-5 job (I hope my boss isn't reading this).

You get my point, right?

I know it's hard to turn all that noise out, but one thing that has really helped me is writing down those ideas that pop into my head and then focusing on the current project I'm working on.

Don't do a series of things just hoping to get lucky; be specific about your goal and start with one thing that can lead you closer to that goal.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
I'm definitely guilty of this one. I have learned everything from crypto trading to flipping computers, and everything in between. What have these things gotten me? Absolutely nothing lol.

If you focus your attention on one skill, any skill, and stick to it till the bitter end, you'll get further than 99% of people.

izraelinspired

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Nov 25, 2020
I'm definitely guilty of this one. I have learned everything from crypto trading to flipping computers, and everything in between. What have these things gotten me? Absolutely nothing lol.

If you focus your attention on one skill, any skill, and stick to it till the bitter end, you'll get further than 99% of people.
You got that right ✅

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@MJ DeMarco is this a new format for the OP?

When you create a thread, it gives you the option to select "Article" over "Discussion" -- looks like he selected Article, the default is discussion.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
When you create a thread, it gives you the option to select "Article" over "Discussion" -- looks like he selected Article, the default is discussion.
Had no idea, never seen this on any forum but I like it a lot!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.