The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Man on a Mission

ChrisMonty

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 17, 2017
Baltimore, MD
Hey, everyone. Found this forum a few days ago and decided to create an account and join in.

Long story short....45, been married for almost 15 years, three daughters, spent 17 years in the work force then started a Huffington Post-like news blog that was getting 100,000 pageviews a day. Quit my day job and became a self-employed blogger in 2009, banking off the ad revenue. Got too aggressive with Google link-building, got penalized, traffic dropped & I returned to the work force in 2013. There was no way to recover the site once Google slapped it.

I'm now back in the mortgage business locally. I'm also a musician on the side and do some solo acoustic gigs around town to supplement income.

I've started blogging again and run a hyper-local news blog that could perhaps be my next entrepreneurial venture, but I'm looking at other alternatives as well.

I'm awesome at social media so I've thought about a web development & social media biz for local businesses, buying other businesses, and everything in between. I've created a few designs for t-shirts and listed them on Merch by Amazon but haven't sold anything yet...probably because I tried to design the shirts myself in Paint.net. Time to hire a professional.

Anyway, looking forward to getting to know everyone and exchanging ideas.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NFT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Mar 14, 2017
Germany
Greetings Chris. Welcome to the forum.

If you are really into social media, you can do PayPerClick Marketing for example. With that you can essentially post ads on e.g. Facebook and advertise a product of yours or build up an email list. Since you are a musician and have experience in blogging, you can easily create digital products for that topic and sell them online. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'd also recommend you the book "The millionaire fastlane " by MJ DeMarco, who is the most important person on this forum. One of the best books out there.

Cheers

ChrisMonty

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 17, 2017
Baltimore, MD
Greetings Chris. Welcome to the forum.

If you are really into social media, you can do PayPerClick Marketing for example. With that you can essentially post ads on e.g. Facebook and advertise a product of yours or build up an email list. Since you are a musician and have experience in blogging, you can easily create digital products for that topic and sell them online. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'd also recommend you the book "The millionaire fastlane " by MJ DeMarco, who is the most important person on this forum. One of the best books out there.

Cheers

Thanks, NFT. I've had some experience with PPC marketing. When I got into affiliate marketing, I tried my hand at running PPC ads to CPA offers (zip submits and whatnot).

I've also done some paid advertising on Facebook for both my mortgage business (mainly for branding) and to publicize my solo acoustic gigs. The few times I've tried PPC ads to sell t-shirts, etc. it hasn't gone so well, but I never give up. Right now I've got about 10 shirts posted on Merch by Amazon and a few on TeeSpring but haven't sold any yet. Again, could be because I tried designing them myself. Might be time to try Fiverr or Upwork and hire a designer.

My hyper-local news blog is getting 50,000 - 60,000 pageviews per month so I've thought about selling some ads to local businesses on that blog as well.

I never thought about creating a digital, music-based product. Interesting idea.

NFT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Mar 14, 2017
Germany
Nice that can work for you. You could create a course about learning an instrument or improving ones play. Then sell it via Facebook PPC. You can try this out and if it doesnt work... onto the next.
Same with your T-Shirts. If it doesnt work for you, dont be afraid to try sth else.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Welcome to the forum, Chris.

As you browse through the threads, you'll begin to notice that certain members here are really experts in specific areas.

@SinisterLex - has some gold threads on copywriting.
@Fox - has a gold thread on getting paying clients for a service-based business (web design agency)
@Andy Black - is the Google Adwords guru.
@Scot - does sales
@MidwestLandlord - is absolutely amazing at responding to threads with nothing but memes that make you laugh.

I have a lot of threads on stress-management, goal-setting, motivation, and managing mental/emotional states.

It sounds like you know a lot about getting lots of traffic to your sites. I'm sure a detailed thread on how you went about doing that will serve the community well.

Once you get the right product-market-fit, it seems like you're going to do very well once again, like you have already done before.

-Andrew

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Welcome Chris.

If you were only allowed to focus on one of your projects for the next month, which one would you pick?

ChrisMonty

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 17, 2017
Baltimore, MD
Welcome Chris.

If you were only allowed to focus on one of your projects for the next month, which one would you pick?

That's a great question, and also a big part of the problem. I've got some crazy ADHD that makes it quite difficult to focus on just one thing. It's also a blessing because I can work on a myriad of things at once.

I've got the tee shirts up for sale, I've got the hyper-local news blog, I've got a political Instagram account I'm trying to grow so I can sell shout-outs, and I've got the live music solo acoustic side gigs to fill in the blanks when the mortgage business is slow.

I'm passionate about the local news blog as I've become pretty well-known in the local community. I also enjoy the political Instagram account because it aligns with my personal views. Music will always be my first love as well.

At a barbecue tonight, a friend of mine may have had the best idea yet. She's a fellow musician and knows several guys like me who play live music on the weekends - and give guitar LESSONS during the day. I also play piano so I could probably give piano lessons as well.

I'm going to check with a few of the local music shops near me and see what the criteria is/are for giving lessons. That idea really intrigues me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...