The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Making An Impression on ideal investor / partner ?

Idea threads

Michael Greene

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 2, 2015
Detroit
Good Morning / Afternoon Guys,

I'm wondering, how would you guys go about making an impression on someone you really want to develop a relationship with?

I have an opportunity to present myself and my product to the head of one of the companies I've literally ALWAYS wanted to work. They're looking for new people to go into business with, and I'm sure they're getting a lot of responses. Obviously they're not going to immediately jump into bed with people, and the product has to speak for itself as well but i believe the person also has to play their part. At the very least i'm really just trying to secure some sort of relationship with them. I don't want to beg the guy and seem desperate but i want to show how serious i am and how much i want to work with him specifically. What would you do?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
^^^ This.

My best presentations are in Excel not Powerpoint.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Good Morning / Afternoon Guys,

I'm wondering, how would you guys go about making an impression on someone you really want to develop a relationship with?

I have an opportunity to present myself and my product to the head of one of the companies I've literally ALWAYS wanted to work. They're looking for new people to go into business with, and I'm sure they're getting a lot of responses. Obviously they're not going to immediately jump into bed with people, and the product has to speak for itself as well but i believe the person also has to play their part. At the very least i'm really just trying to secure some sort of relationship with them. I don't want to beg the guy and seem desperate but i want to show how serious i am and how much i want to work with him specifically. What would you do?
  1. Know what you're offering
  2. Know how they will benefit
  3. Know how much it will cost them
  4. Know what the next steps are to make it a reality when they say yes
  5. Know why they would say no, so you can pre-empt objections before they come up
  6. Call them to tell them all of that in this order
    1. How they benefit
    2. What it is
    3. The next steps
    4. What it will cost

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ryan D.

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 20, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
What is the investor/partner expecting from meeting you? Are they looking for new products and expecting a pitch? While I think it's great to have an elevator pitch down you also don't want to blow your chance with them. If this is a person that you have some access to I would just be polite, professional, and invite them to coffee. I would tell them that you're interested in _________ which they have had some obvious success in. Buy them coffee and take notes. Don't ask for anything. It can grow into a great relationship. This is how I found several of the people I work with today.

Option 2.... This is a "sharktank" style encounter. You've got one shot and will never see this person again.

It's your job to showcase your track record, their potential profit, and how you can benefit them. Any relevant experience, testimonials, or visual aids you can supply are always a plus! If you come off as needy or desperate that is an INSTANT turn off.

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
What is the investor/partner expecting from meeting you? Are they looking for new products and expecting a pitch? While I think it's great to have an elevator pitch down you also don't want to blow your chance with them. If this is a person that you have some access to I would just be polite, professional, and invite them to coffee. I would tell them that you're interested in _________ which they have had some obvious success in. Buy them coffee and take notes. Don't ask for anything. It can grow into a great relationship. This is how I found several of the people I work with today.

Option 2.... This is a "sharktank" style encounter. You've got one shot and will never see this person again.

It's your job to showcase your track record, their potential profit, and how you can benefit them. Any relevant experience, testimonials, or visual aids you can supply are always a plus! If you come off as needy or desperate that is an INSTANT turn off.

Approach it like a football game....

Film Study/Pre game - find out as much as you can about his biz, crunch the numbers and put it in a spreadsheet, know his biz cold (See @AndyBlack for Excel guidance he's an Excel Wiz) whip it out when you meet and use it as a reference he will be impressed.

1st Half - (the initial sit down) Listen, Listen, Listen, confirm his needs, watch and listen for clues as you go into detail (briefly) on his potential pain points. ....a little secret here, (disclaimer if it is illegal in your state do no do!) I bring a folder with a pocket and leave my phone (record) on.
Also, bring with you a small card/envelope and stamp (not Hallmark) , I will explain why in the next section.

Half Time -(after the meeting) - Immediately following the meeting take the take the card out write a thank you message, put it in the mail or take it to PO if possible, make it simple "thanks for the time and look forward to speaking with you in the future." When you get home or back to your office make your half time adjustments, what new things did you learn, what surprised you and was different from your initial research, how do you capitalize on the face to face - come up with some answers, make some determinations, how can you convey value, quantify it.

2nd Half - (The day after) The next day when he begins to put you in a big "maybe" mental box, along with the other 20 suitors, until ....his assistant walks in, hands him his mail, he scans the usual pile and just as he is about to go onto his computer - a little white card gets his attention....what is this... it's not my birthday.... he opens it and bam!! - his suspicions are confirmed. This dude is not only talented he's a "straight up mfxxxing business pimp!" You just moved from maybe to top 5.

(Electronic Followup) Now take what you learned from the sit down and send him a well crafted spreadsheet. No long winded emails, and absolutely
no fluffy superlatives or "I really really really like you" stuff - just a well crafted Excel spreadsheet demonstrating your mastery of the numbers, projections, calculations, NPV, ROI, COC, Ratios, blah blah blah. Attach it to an email formatted in Memo form (that's right! all business). Example - RE: Strategy Discussion with Mr. Big include a short summary of what the spreadsheet will contain and a "my best or best regards" closing at the bottom .... don't worry - he wont read much of it anyway; but if he does - you're golden. At this point, he know your eager and talented, he's just looking for signs you can also convey a sense of professionalism. This seals the deal.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.