The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking for an idea for an iPhone app

Idea threads

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
Hi everyone! I’m a junior programmer. I’m looking to get into iphone development and learn swift. But I really can’t think of an app idea that I can publish to the App Store. Doesn’t have to “take off” just something where you think I could get some downloads and put on my resume.
Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Skroob

Entrepreneur // Mobile Application Developer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL
Hi! I live for threads like this!

If you're just looking for something to put on a resume, it can be almost anything. If you want to show potential employers your coding skills, building something and then putting it on GitHub is a solid way to do that. Also, consider contributing to open source projects. That way, you can hand people your GitHub username and they can see a good set of examples of your work.

If you're looking to make money, consider not releasing your own app (yet) and look more into picking up some freelancing work. You can point to any apps you work on as examples, as long as you make sure you get permission from your clients to use them in your portfolio.

If you're looking to make a business... well, that's a more complicated response!

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
Hi! I live for threads like this!

If you're just looking for something to put on a resume, it can be almost anything. If you want to show potential employers your coding skills, building something and then putting it on GitHub is a solid way to do that. Also, consider contributing to open source projects. That way, you can hand people your GitHub username and they can see a good set of examples of your work.

If you're looking to make money, consider not releasing your own app (yet) and look more into picking up some freelancing work. You can point to any apps you work on as examples, as long as you make sure you get permission from your clients to use them in your portfolio.

If you're looking to make a business... well, that's a more complicated response!
Thanks for the great response! I have actually been a web dev for the past 8-10 years but want to switch over the mobile. Having some trouble grasping some concepts. I dont have enough experience for freelance work for an app, I will botch it up and the guy will want his money back lol

Skroob

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks for the great response! I have actually been a web dev for the past 8-10 years but want to switch over the mobile. Having some trouble grasping some concepts. I dont have enough experience for freelance work for an app, I will botch it up and the guy will want his money back lol
Have faith. The concepts will come with practice. Have you done any courses, books, bootcamps, anything like that?

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
Have faith. The concepts will come with practice. Have you done any courses, books, bootcamps, anything like that?
Not for mobile app dev, I took a website design bootcamp during the pandemic, also use codecademy sometimes. Currently doing swift playground by apple now to get my feet wet

Practic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2022
Hi everyone! I’m a junior programmer. I’m looking to get into iphone development and learn swift. But I really can’t think of an app idea that I can publish to the App Store. Doesn’t have to “take off” just something where you think I could get some downloads and put on my resume.
Thanks!
Recent hacks of LastPass and Norton create a great business opportunity to apps developers, content creators, etc. to offer alternative solutions to traditional passwords managers.

Skroob

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL
Not for mobile app dev, I took a website design bootcamp during the pandemic, also use codecademy sometimes. Currently doing swift playground by apple now to get my feet wet
That's a good start. I'd definitely recommend a course or similar as well. It will get you to the point where you should be able to pick up freelance gigs.

What's your current job situation? Is there any opportunity to pitch your current employer on a mobile app?

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
That's a good start. I'd definitely recommend a course or similar as well. It will get you to the point where you should be able to pick up freelance gigs.

What's your current job situation? Is there any opportunity to pitch your current employer on a mobile app?
My company went under last month (middle of December)...i was going to learn ionic / flutter for the app but the company went under so im stuck back at square one

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
I think i may do a security job in the meantime where i sit in a boot which gives me time to study my butt off and make money in the process

Skroob

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL
There’s a TON of work out there for web developers if you wanted to start freelancing in that, rather than something that wouldn’t advance your skills in an area you’re interested in.

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
There’s a TON of work out there for web developers if you wanted to start freelancing in that, rather than something that wouldn’t advance your skills in an area you’re interested in.
Im only taking security because i sit in a booth all day and i can spend all day studying programming / building up my github..etc

Skroob

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL
Im only taking security because i sit in a booth all day and i can spend all day studying programming / building up my github..etc
Fair enough. Keep at it, learn as much as you can, and jump into it before you think you're ready!

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
You can literally do anything you like that is not too complicated. Just find some free apps that you'd love to use and make them better, add new features, etc. Maybe start with one that uses local storage, then make something that uses an external API, then maybe something more graphics-intensive. When I started making mobile apps, I followed this path to avoid having to learn a ton of things at once. You've got programming experience already, so maybe you can skip the most basic apps though.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I have an idea for a ( in my imagination earsy to make) app. If you are interested, pm me.
I would like to make it myself, but I have no glue, wher to begin.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Thanks!
I would suggest taking Angela Yu's iOS course on Udemy (assuming you pay a reduced price). Her course is a good start, and contains several mini-projects. Those projects could be expanded in to a real app that you put in the App store.

Paul Hudson also has many courses and example projects you can expand and sell. I like his weird Canadian accent, but he has so much material it's hard to know where to start. He even has a "Start Here" page that uses bits and pieces of his existing courses to make a "properly organized" Beginners path. I wish he had less material that was better organized.

Wenderlich/Kodeco has a ton of courses, books, and videos. They use to be the Gold Standard for iOS, but have branched out in to a lot of areas (Kotlin, Flutter, React), and they seem to want people to buy their video subscriptions instead of buying their eBooks. I prefer eBooks.

If you want an app that you can charge money for, go to Fiverr and see what tasks people are paying each other $5 to do. Pick one you can automate by using an app, and sell the app for $5.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
they seem to want people to buy their video subscriptions instead of buying their eBooks. I prefer eBooks.
Interesting. I'm toying with writing an eBook in the sea of video courses. I thought that no one prefers eBooks these days, but I've paid more attention and spotted a couple of people recently. I too prefer eBooks for dense content (although videos are good/complementary to see the programming flow).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.