The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Local Seo city-page canibalization?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019
I create two completely unique city landing pages, yet one cannibalizes the other for the "keyword+city" search term.
I could not find any advice on how to fix this. The cannibalizing URL (city B) does not contain "city a once".
I know this is not a SEO forum but maybe someone might know an answer for where I could look further into this issue.
This one Kfz Gutachter Essen | Verschenken Sie nach einem Unfall kein Geld! is getting cannibalized by this one Kfz Gutachter Mülheim | 27 Jahre Erfahrung | Ingenieurbüro Alkan Gmbh

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
It actually mentions it twice. City A is in the footer.

This isn't a big problem, it happens all the time. If you have addresses in both cities, just create a different GMB listing to each page. And add location specific schema to each. You should still be able to rank them both, one for each city.

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019
It actually mentions it twice. City A is in the footer.

This isn't a big problem, it happens all the time. If you have addresses in both cities, just create a different GMB listing to each page. And add location specific schema to each. You should still be able to rank them both, one for each city.

Its a service Area Business with one Location so I cant open more GMB. I have 3 of the 4 city landing pages well on their way to Page 1 but for the most important keyword Im stuck on page 4 and the wrong city page ranks.

Yes the plan is to rank one for each city, what are the steps to stop the cannibalization?
  • Delete adress from the footer
  • Location schema
Anything more?

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Does the city A page rank for other city A terms, just not the main phrase? This might be an over-optimization problem, not a cannabalization problem.

Or it could just be a temporary Google test and if you wait Google will make everything right in a week or two. How long has thing been going on?

Honestly, the first thing I do is change the H1 headline in the city A page to

Ihre Kfz Gutachter Essen | Ingenieurbüro Alkan GmbH

Your other city pages have kfz gutacher first in the main headline, and they are ranking better...

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019
Does the city A page rank for other city A terms, just not the main phrase? This might be an over-optimization problem, not a cannabalization problem.

Or it could just be a temporary Google test and if you wait Google will make everything right in a week or two. How long has thing been going on?

Honestly, the first thing I do is change the H1 headline in the city A page to

Ihre Kfz Gutachter Essen | Ingenieurbüro Alkan GmbH

Your other city pages have kfz gutacher first in the main headline, and they are ranking better...

Oh, I did not notice they reverse order. Changed that.
No the page ranks for nothing, which is kinda weird as that's the City where the GMB is located and all the NAP citations are for the address in that city.

We launched this site from scratch like 2 months ago, maybe a little more. It just confuses me that only this site is not seeing any progress at all.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Well, your home page probably outranks it (I assume you used to GMB to go to the home page).

But I did see the issue you mentioned about city ranking for city A's term...and not the home page. That's how I spotted the H1.

Do you know how to submit a URL for reindexing? You don't want to do that too often, but if you haven't odne it in a while, go ahead and have them recrawl the city A page. Hopefully, you'll see a slow lift in the page rankings over the course of the next week or two. If not, then DM me and I'll help you continue to assess.

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019
Well, your home page probably outranks it (I assume you used to GMB to go to the home page).

But I did see the issue you mentioned about city ranking for city A's term...and not the home page. That's how I spotted the H1.

Do you know how to submit a URL for reindexing? You don't want to do that too often, but if you haven't odne it in a while, go ahead and have them recrawl the city A page. Hopefully, you'll see a slow lift in the page rankings over the course of the next week or two. If not, then DM me and I'll help you continue to assess.

I reindexed it several times in the last 2 months. This page always gave me trouble, sometimes disappearing for no reason etc. I changed the H1 now, do I go for it again?

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
No.

In my experience, resubmitting a page for indexing too frequently is one reason why Google will take it out of the index entirely.

Pushing that button is like telling Google hey I really want this to rank.

And Google doesn't like to give away at secrets, so it doesn't reward people who resubmit too fast.

Just let googlebot find the page, don't change anything more on it for a while, and see what happens.

It's been a while since I tested this, so I don't know how long it takes to show back up.

My rule of thumb is I only resubmit a couple pages per website for every two month period.

But I deal with small websites. I think people with bigger websites can get away resubmitting more pages. But not the same page over and over.

I hope that makes sense.

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019
No.

In my experience, resubmitting a page for indexing too frequently is one reason why Google will take it out of the index entirely.

Pushing that button is like telling Google hey I really want this to rank.

And Google doesn't like to give away at secrets, so it doesn't reward people who resubmit too fast.

Just let googlebot find the page, don't change anything more on it for a while, and see what happens.

It's been a while since I tested this, so I don't know how long it takes to show back up.

My rule of thumb is I only resubmit a couple pages per website for every two month period.

But I deal with small websites. I think people with bigger websites can get away resubmitting more pages. But not the same page over and over.

I hope that makes sense.

Yea makes perfect sense, I will set it sit a while and see how it goes the next 1-2 weeks

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019
I found an interesting article from whitespark today regarding acceptable NAB Variations.
I always thought the company name has to be an exact match everywhere.
This limited my ability to build out citations for all my local landing pages as most directories only allow one entry/company name.

Would it be possible to sign up once has "my company LLC" and once as "my company" and insert a different city page URL in both entries, or would that do more harm than good?

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I think you said you only have the one address, so I wouldn't do that.

Honestly, there's so many people now that'll just report you if they see you have duplicate listings, that even if you did get them both ranking it probably wouldn't be worth it.

If you had an address in that other city, then I would do company name city name.

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019
I think you said you only have the one address, so I wouldn't do that.

Honestly, there's so many people now that'll just report you if they see you have duplicate listings, that even if you did get them both ranking it probably wouldn't be worth it.

If you had an address in that other city, then I would do company name city name.

I was talking about entries in directories, not GMB. I explained that pretty bad, sorry.

lets say yelp.com/mycompanyllc
And yelp/mycompany but both point to different city landing Pages, its a service area Business.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Tbh I don't think the extra citations would help you rank any better. And if you didn't have an address in that city, you're not going to show up in yelp for that city, even though you're pointing to a different city name.

I don't see the point.

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019
Tbh I don't think the extra citations would help you rank any better. And if you didn't have an address in that city, you're not going to show up in yelp for that city, even though you're pointing to a different city name.

I don't see the point.
Because a lot of them in Germany allow dofollow links with DR>90

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019

I don't see the point.

Soo, finally Google caught up to the change and the main city page is well on its way now ranking already top 6 for "best+service+city". Thanks mate

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.