The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Life Altering Choices - Yours?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Life Altering Choices (LACs) are choices you make that take your life in an entirely different direction.

If you analyze your past, you'll find they are littered with decisions that take your life into different directions. Some of these crucial choices are "Life Altering".

Looking back into your past, what "Life Altering Choices" have you made?

What was it? Where did it take you? Where would you be if you didn't make that choice?

In reading AJGlobal's story, years ago he made a choice to contact his friend in Vegas. Where would he be if he didn't make that choice? If he chose something different?

Years ago, I chose to move to Phoenix from Chicago. If I didn't make that choice, and chose to continue to live in Chicago, my life would be so different. In fact, I'd speculate that I might even be dead, or working some meaningless job strung out on anti-depressants. My choice to move out of Chicago, was a Life Altering Choice.

This post is an exercise in discovering your Life Altering Choice(s).

• Have you made any recently?
  • Years ago?
  • Planning to make one?
If you don't have any, or can't find one, perhaps its time you make one?
Is not making one holding you back?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

1320Trader

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 14, 2007
Maryland
So far my biggest choice was quitting my job building elevators. If I had not I wouldn't of went to a birthday party for a family member. I spoke with my uncle and his business partner there and expressed my interest in business. A week later they called me and offered to give me a job so I can learn the business. If I didn't make that choice I would still probably be driving to DC at 4am in the morning climbing 15 flights of stairs 20 times a day, freezing or sweating my a$$ off. Now I have a great opportunity to become a partner in the company within a couple years. Im not sure I want to do it for the rest of my life or if I will find another direction before then. However, it has been my best choice so far. I have learned alot of valuable lessons being here...at the same time my uncle has become my wealth mentor.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I've never really had one of those moments that really changed my life -- yet. However, just from simply talking to people, I've gained a lot of knowledge which has, over time, put me on the path I want to be on. One of those good decisions was to allow my mom to drag me to a garage sale where I picked up RDPD for the first time for about $.50. Needless to say, it was worth a hell of a lot more than that. It's opened my mind to the world of business at an early age, giving me a clear advantage over my peers. Hopefully, it will pay off big time in the future.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I had one on June 15, 2006. I was driving my daughter home from her music lessons in my vette. Was not in RE and was trying to figure out how to get in. We were cruizin about 60 mph and jammin to some Boston. Out of the blue a minivan pulled out in front of us. I could have hit him in the pass door but chose to slam on the brakes and swerve to my right to avoid him. That action put me in front of him and he hit me in the drivers door at about 30 mph. Totalled the car, scared my daughter, and no one was hurt. A month later I invested the settlement in income producing properties. 6 months later I got my second property. Now we are looking for more and my renters may be buying me another sports car shortly.:cheers:

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've never really had one of those moments that really changed my life -- yet. However, just from simply talking to people, I've gained a lot of knowledge which has, over time, put me on the path I want to be on. One of those good decisions was to allow my mom to drag me to a garage sale where I picked up RDPD for the first time for about $.50. Needless to say, it was worth a hell of a lot more than that. It's opened my mind to the world of business at an early age, giving me a clear advantage over my peers. Hopefully, it will pay off big time in the future.

You are young so I wouldn't expect many of your choices to be LAC's. However, sometime's the seemingly meaningless choices take us in a different direction. An example is this forum. You chose to join. That choice, could give you an million dollar idea, or give you the opportunity to meet a business partner, or pave the way to a different road.

Seems like a simple choice: "I'm gonna join this forum and participate" - yet, its impact could be far reaching.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
You are young so I wouldn't expect many of your choices to be LAC's. However, sometime's the seemingly meaningless choices take us in a different direction. An example is this forum. You chose to join. That choice, could give you an million dollar idea, or give you the opportunity to meet a business partner, or pave the way to a different road.

Seems like a simple choice: "I'm gonna join this forum and participate" - yet, its impact could be far reaching.
I definitely understand where you're coming from. I feel like my journey as just been a combination of decisions that have just snow-balled to bring me to where I am today.

MKyz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 20, 2007
Southern California
My LAC would be purchasing our home. It was our first investment and I was very hesitant about it, but it showed me that investment opportunities are possible and that we can do it. In addition to that, we are now actively looking for our next investment.

Sehcill

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Aug 19, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
I have a few....a major one was simply going to a restaurant a few years back (2001) where a buddy of mine worked...I didn't see him so I asked a waitress "where's John". She told me he had gotten a job doing Engineering, and since he owed me a favor, I called him up and found out they had one more opening. From there, I met another good friend of mine who I decided to rent my first house from. In talking to him, I started on my path to learning all about the wonderful world of self-accountability, and exactly how rewarding it can be to have excess cash as a result of your own diligence.

-Jason

Onasip3

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Aug 17, 2007
Queen Creek AZ
I am about to make one. I was offered a job that pays pretty well in Atlanta area but that is not where I would like to be so I turned it down. So I am headed out to Phoenix to be near my family with hopes that something will come along so that I can get things started. I do have a couple of business ideas that I am working on right now and I have my wife behind so I will make it work.
Rob

TheBigIdea

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 19, 2007
St Louis MO
I think a big life altering choice for me was that I decided to change my mindset and remain positive and ignore the abundance of negative influences out there. I will not listen to someone who tells me I cannot do something, rather I like the people who tell me how. It is a simple difference in mindset but is definitely life altering. Most people will never become wealthy simply because of there closed mind.

This is the first step. The tougher choices now are making large investments because I have 3 children and I have to provide for them first and foremost which handcuffs me a bit when it comes to taking risk, this is what is difficult right now, but I will make it.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think a big life altering choice for me was that I decided to change my mindset and remain positive and ignore the abundance of negative influences out there. I will not listen to someone who tells me I cannot do something, rather I like the people who tell me how. It is a simple difference in mindset but is definitely life altering. Most people will never become wealthy simply because of there closed mind.

So true ... Speed++

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
My first life altering choice was to buy my first home. I did it against all odds, (very little money, no credit and small salary) and I made it work for 8 years. The second life altering choice I made was getting into real estate full-time. For years I had been functioning way below my potential- and I finally feel that I am now on track to live life to my fullest potential. I am currently at another crossroads in my life, and I feel that things will come to a head in the very near future. I suppose life altering choices are never easy to make- that's why they are life altering! I try to view a new situation in terms of what is there to gain and lose. If there is more to gain and less to lose I go for it. Carpe Diem!

Last edited:

DustinS

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Aug 11, 2007
Not sure if it will be life altering, but I've been getting a long extremely well with a co-worker and we've been talking stocks and business a lot and were meeting up this weekend sometime to see if we can get something going!

EDIT
I'd also like to add that reading "How to make money in stocks" by William J O'neil and subscribing to investors.com has been extremely helpful.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Taking my last $500 out of checking when I had about $500 in credit card debt to start a scottrade account in order to finally stop wishing about one day trading and getting into it.
I know that paying that balance would have been a good idea but at the time I felt like I had to finally let go of tomorrow and cross that line.

First trade - no money
Second trade - made $40 .. was ecstatic thinking that I didn't really had to "work" for that money.
Third trade - up 25% ROI.

I am now in love with trading and somehow someway aim at having my portfolio reach $5,000 within 2 weeks - this is 4 months after I had $500 in my checking and no dreams of having this much money.

I can go on forever with finding the courage to stop caring what others thought about me so much that it hamstrings my success and joy of life - to grabbing my balls and talking to girls over and over and getting rejected tons to finally reach a point where I have multiple girls interested in me.

One I would like to highlight is the point when I realized that I wasn't on the path to grow up into the man I wished to be. It was a difficult ego shattering moment of clarity that allowed me to stop lying to myself and accept that I have things to learn. From then on, I have found it much easier to say "I do not know.. but I am willing to learn"

M-M

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 27, 2007
NC
Out of a few, here's one that pretty much sparked a big shift in my thinking:
In May 2004 my wife and I visited my family in Germany (where I'd lived until the age of 19). Of course I had to go by the Lamborghini dealership just outside of Munich, a place I'd visited weekly with my father when I was young. Since the age of 9 I had dreamed about owning one, but always maintained the mindset of "only if I win the lotter". Over the years my passion took a backseat, until that visit. It reminded me how much I loved Lamborghini.
Back in the USA I decided to share my pictures and signed on to a Lamborghini forum, the old Lamborghinitalk.com. I wish I remembered who said it, but after giving the lottery line one of the members said to me "You don't have to win the lottery to fulfill your dream. Anybody can reach that goal with the right idea and hard work."
That was the moment a switch in my mind was flipped and I knew I could fulfill my dream. It's been an up and down (well, mostly down) battle since, but I know in my heart that one day I will sit in my own Diablo.

Another LAC is signing up for this forum.

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
I learned that everyone thinks they are right. Very few people get up in the morning trying to hurt others. They do the things they do because they think they are doing the right thing. I stopped feeling sorry for myself and blaming others for problems and I owed my feelings & moods. I decided that I was going to get up every day and choose to be happy.
I did this after a very bad thing happed to me, I made this discovery & this decision after we had to fire my sister from our business and she badmouthed me to my whole family. Everyone even my mother shut me out. Years have passed, the family has realized that there are two sides to everything and my sister has admited it was not all my fault. I don't resent them and I am not angry with them I know that it was the best thing that happened to me because it freed me from doubt, blame and unhappiness.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I learned that everyone thinks they are right. Very few people get up in the morning trying to hurt others. They do the things they do because they think they are doing the right thing.
Very true. A seasoned innkeeper put it this way:

"The customer is always right . . . in their own mind. So it's pointless to debate something. Acknowledge that they feel they are right, and move on."

I stopped feeling sorry for myself and blaming others for problems and I owned my feelings & moods. I decided that I was going to get up every day and choose to be happy.

A big "A-HA!", along with dramatic behavioral changes.

Been down these same roads.

Great insights, Janet.

Rep speed + + +

-Russ H.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Out of a few, here's one that pretty much sparked a big shift in my thinking:
In May 2004 my wife and I visited my family in Germany (where I'd lived until the age of 19). Of course I had to go by the Lamborghini dealership just outside of Munich, a place I'd visited weekly with my father when I was young. Since the age of 9 I had dreamed about owning one, but always maintained the mindset of "only if I win the lotter". Over the years my passion took a backseat, until that visit. It reminded me how much I loved Lamborghini.
Back in the USA I decided to share my pictures and signed on to a Lamborghini forum, the old Lamborghinitalk.com. I wish I remembered who said it, but after giving the lottery line one of the members said to me "You don't have to win the lottery to fulfill your dream. Anybody can reach that goal with the right idea and hard work."
That was the moment a switch in my mind was flipped and I knew I could fulfill my dream. It's been an up and down (well, mostly down) battle since, but I know in my heart that one day I will sit in my own Diablo.

Another LAC is signing up for this forum.

You are describing a "limiting belief" -- I hear that all the time when I get asked the perennial question "How much does something like that cost?". And when I tell them, I hear "Wow, thats more than my house - I could never afford that". When I hear this, I mentally shake my head in sadness that this person is already defeated, and his limited view of himself is weak.

Most often, it is our own minds that prevent us from succeeding ... limiting beliefs ... if only I was smarter, if only I could win the lottery, if only, if only.

You can achieve anything when you have the right recipe: Hard work fueled by education, faith (yes, Law of Attraction fans; for me faith in God) and a indestructible mindset that failure is merely a detour, a learning experience, to success.

Ground yourself in the peace of knowing that failure is always better than living with the regret of not trying. Get out there and do it -- its your dream and live every moment.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Many military veterans can count numerous life altering choices. One of mine was not of my making. When I joined the Navy, I wanted to go on a carrier to help me complete a degree. The military has dream sheets of where you would like to be stationed, so I asked for a carrier out of Washington. The gave me a submarine out of Georgia. I fought and fought with them to go to a carrier. No go. A submariner I became and it is one of the greatest things that could have ever happened to me. I have made lifetime friends and my chest swells with pride when I think about all I accomplished on that boat. It also turned out to be easier to obtain my degree, lol who knew.

When I reflect on what happened it makes me grin. When the boat of life takes you off your charted course, make the most of it and you just may enjoy the port call on the other side.

M-M

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 27, 2007
NC
Ground yourself in the peace of knowing that failure is always better than living with the regret of not trying. Get out there and do it -- its your dream and live every moment.

That was/is one of the hardest lessons for me to learn. For reasons I will not get into I am deathly afraid of failure and the often resulting ridicule. But on the other hand I've always had the warrior mentality: I'd rather go down fighting that not fight at all. Death before dishonor.

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
It sounds a little silly but my decision to continue on a date with a much older man. I was in college and chatting/meeting people online and met a man who was 30 yrs my senior, although I did not know it until we met. I could have turned around and walked out but instead I decided to be nice. He was chairman of the board of a large company and I was able to view business from that standpoint. I was eating cup of noodle for dinner which cost me 20 cents and he was having $700 dinners. Before my goal was just to live as comfortably as my parents and after dating him, I wanted more than that. Ironically, after him, I ended up dating another chairman of the board. While I wanted the lifestyle that the money afforded them, I did not want to spend my life working crazy hours or travelling so much for business. Anyways, I look back on that experience as opening a whole different world to me, one that I did not even consider.

My most recent decision was leaving my job. I had ended up working long hours for good pay but I was miserable and unhappy. While I have more than enough on my hands with our investments and business, it feels strange not going to a workplace. I was very much defined by my job. Now I am trying to define myself as a person without the title constraints! I do enjoy the flexibility that I have in structuring my day but I am still adjusting.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
My most recent LAC was deciding to continue my education. This past summer I received my associated degree and after that I continued to work at my “dead end job”. I looked around and said, how can I get ahead of these people? Start my own company or continue my education. I decided on going back to school. I realized that if I did not make this decision my only choice would be to start my own company. Currently, I am a student and have 2 more years until I receive my Bachelors degree. I plan on starting up my own company though before I receive my degree!

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
One of my first LAC was to ask a neighbor
how they could afford to travel all the time.

I petsat for a couple
and noticed that they were always "on vacation."
The wife didn't work
(found out later that she managed their investments)
and the husband wasn't exactly making big bucks
(small town, everyone knows everyone else's salary).

I was a shy kid,
didn't want to get in anyone's business
but I just had to know.

It was then that I found out
that successful people are normally very generous and open
about their knowledge
and that the only thing holding me back
from having that knowledge too
was the fear of asking.

: )

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
One of my biggest recent LAC's
was to quit my full time corporate gig
to take summers off (to write and business build).

Years ago, I was listening to my sister, a teacher,
talk about what she was doing with her summer
and found myself envying her the time off.
My Mom always told us that jealousy is about you,
not the other person.
It is a sign of what you want.

So I decided then and there that I'd find a way to take summers off.
If teachers can take summers off,
why can't the rest of us?

How did I do it?
I didn't want to touch my passive income
so I lined up contract gigs
at increased charge out rates
during the rest of the year
so that I'm making the same $'s in 8 months
as I was making in 12.

This past summer was my third off
and my first novel will be published next summer.
Having the time has opened up SO many opportunities.
I love it.

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
One of my biggest recent LAC's
was to quit my full time corporate gig
to take summers off (to write and business build).

Years ago, I was listening to my sister, a teacher,
talk about what she was doing with her summer
and found myself envying her the time off.
My Mom always told us that jealousy is about you,
not the other person.
It is a sign of what you want.

So I decided then and there that I'd find a way to take summers off.
If teachers can take summers off,
why can't the rest of us?

How did I do it?
I didn't want to touch my passive income
so I lined up contract gigs
at increased charge out rates
during the rest of the year
so that I'm making the same $'s in 8 months
as I was making in 12.

This past summer was my third off
and my first novel will be published next summer.
Having the time has opened up SO many opportunities.
I love it.

It's awesome that you were able to find a way to do what you love & position yourself to make money at it also. this is how life is supposed to be.:hurray:

Janet

EasyMoney_in_NC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Wilmington NC
I'll add to this :)

My life never really had direction. I was somewhat shunned for not going to college by my family. Not to be mean, but to try and convince me it was the right thing to do.
Skipping by some history of me, I ended up getting my general contractors license (after being a Realtor for a few years). I did spec houses, which didn't go well. I did additions and remodles for a while......it went ok, but not what I really wanted to be doing. While floundering about, a trip back to California (where I and my wife were from) showed me what I had been missing and how expensive life really was outside of the Carolina life I had know for the (then) 8 years. I decided that since my wife wanted to stay where we were, that I had to do something. We at the time, had 2 rental houses (bought and lived in both starting at the ripe age of 23) and the house we were in. We sold the 2 rentals, and 1031'd one of them (other was inside the 2 year rule, so we pocketed the $$). That sale changed our lives. I took the 1031 $$ and turned the gains into 3 new homes that I built (as a GC). I pre-sold one of them and re-financed the other 2 after finalized construction. I then learned the system of turning that $$ into other properties and didn't stop build rentals until about 1 1/2 years ago. Along the way we sold a few as we built, generating more capital, kept a few :) At the time rates we relatively high for investor 30 yr fixed (7 1/4%). The prime rate came down, which offered construction $$ at 5 1/4% at one point ( I floated one loan for 2 years since it was cheaper than fixed perm rates :D )

Long story short (er) I figured out the "system" and used it for all I could. We still have 10 SFR's and 2 small commercial properties as well as a few vacant lots and one ocean view beach lot that at one time was up about 500% from where we bought it.

I found my calling......Landlord. I listened to a lot of different people along the way (sometimes it took a while for the info to sink in....immature), found people to work with and for me, and amassed a nice little nest egg, and all before age 35. I am now venturing into my first money lending of $300k to a friend for his franchise auto repair building (20 yr veteran in the bus.), the money will be coming from equity built up in my rentals that I intend to re-fi out. I'll go in the hole with that, but come back ahead with his payments to me. And if he defaults, I get a nice building......

I live a passive income life, my wife has a nice steady income as a teacher and life is good.
Thank the almighty real estate and finance system :hl: Don't know where I'd be without it

Somewhere in all that (about 6 years ago), I bought the remnants of a small business from an a "friend" who was going out of business. I turned it over to my semi retired father......who has turned it into a 3/4 million dollar valued company in these years since. It grows every year and completely supports my life.

I always try to help anyone that asks for my experiences and hope that I have turned others on to my ways and means. Its a great way to exist, and I high recommend it. But you must be detail oriented and pay a lot of attention :)

Wolfgang5150

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 15, 2007
Orchard Park, NY
EasyMoney - I'm not sure what's cooler; your story or the fact that you have quote by Sebastian Bach in your signature.
Great story!!
Kevin S.
Orchard Park, NY

EasyMoney_in_NC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Wilmington NC
LOL.......both cool and both true :D Your screen name wouldn't have anything to do with a certain guitar player's son and an album name from years past via that same guitarist.......would it?

I deserved more reputation speed don't I :D

Rock on my 80's brother :icon_super:

Wolfgang5150

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 15, 2007
Orchard Park, NY
Easy - yes it certainly does! being 39 years old we both grew up in that great era of music! I've followed VH very closely for years - seen them in concert every tour since 1984, and am pretty excited for this tour. (Which starts in your area). I am going to hop over to your other thread about construction loans as I have a lumber question.
Thanks.
Kevin S.
Orchard Park, NY

EasyMoney_in_NC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Wilmington NC
I never saw VH with Roth and the show here is already sold out I heard. That era music is the only thing I listen to even these days. Most of the new stuff is crap. Say what you will about make up and big hair......most of those guys of that era were/are way more talented with one hand than most of the new "artists" out there today. Although the guitar solo is coming back as well as some depth and dynamics of detail in the arrangements. But we are getting off tangent here

back to the regularly scheduled programming.......

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.