The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's: 15 Days to Freedom - Make Money Copywriting in 15 Days or Less

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
So I just finished two Copywriting jobs for a client.

Understand that I have NEVER EVER written copy ( at least with a thought) before doing this thread. All I have done is to follow what @SinisterLex has taught and I read the book called Ca$hvertising.

This is what I just got as a response:

This is not a fastlane business, but I'd say this is what you call it when you do something decent and people throw their money at you.

I have been practicing copy for 2 weeks or so. I read halfway through Cashvertising. I have been on oDesk for 2 days. I can already purchase the book Cashvertising a couple of times over.

Go take action. Don't tell me your excuse.

Btw, if you think I struggled. I did at first. I waited until day 8 to start on oDesk. But the momentum I'm building, the feeling I get in my body, is INSANE!

Has anyone contacted you for gigs yet?

Wait til one of your clients gives you an actual referral that actually contacts you outside of Odesk for paid work.

That's pretty much the most awesome feeling in the world. Talk about validation!

You're starting to get into the real opportunity.

I mean, when you think about it, if you have one super-satisfied client, and she tells 10 business friends, and they all need copy, and you satisfy them too, and they have 10 business friends..... etc. etc...

I think you get where I'm going.

Most small business owners don't utilize Odesk.

That means there's MASSIVE potential offline once you have a little rep & social proof.

Even if you're just hustling for cash for another business, this can easily become an unlimited source of income once you get it going. Only god knows how many new startups are born every day.

David Fiddler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Jan 11, 2015
Hey guys,

Was planning to write the next instructional for this thread, but got a little wrapped up in PM...

It's something I want to share (no names mentioned) because I keep getting messages like this...

But this one really takes the cake, and I want to respond here before anyone else asks the same...

I don't mind helping people... but seriously...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lol, no.

The reason you're not getting jobs is obvious in the first 10 words of your message.

If you were actually following my suggestions, then you would have very different results.

Why should I send you my profile & examples of my copywriting letters that earn me a lot of money because I spent 2 to 4 hours writing, and proving my value to clients?

What specific value or reason have you offered for me to do so?

None.

I've written two separate threads offering massive value (according to others, not myself), explaining how to get work fast, and yet you ask for more as though you hired me to work for you...

What you're really asking is for me to hold your hand and do it for you.

Not gonna happen.

Even if I gave you samples of my writing, how would that help?

You won't write like me, because you don't have the right mindset yet.

I suggest starting at the beginning and carefully reading through every last word, and trying again.

I guarantee you it's not my system that's not working.

If you're not getting the results you want, then it means something you're doing isn't working.

I'm not gonna say what it is.

But, I bet anyone who has results from my threads can point it out in under 5 seconds.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to finding ways to solve problems, and create value for people.

That was me out of sheer desperation when days after days I didn't get ANY reply from all the jobs I applied for. Sorry about that. As for why it was such a basic, me focused message - I thought I shouldn't sell to a salesman, but seems like the saying with con mans don't apply here.

Funny thing tho, 2 hours after writing you that PM I got my first reply, which was a job offer.

For that job I sent an application of 500+ words in the form of an article that was required in the job. So thank you for the value and occasional a$$ kicking, it really helped.

D

Deleted03867

Hello everyone!

Well, I can finally tell you all, that...

...I am one of the people who finished the challenge with flawless results!

When I first entered this forum I had no idea I can be in that unbelievable moment in my life.

Everything is happening, I've never thought that I could:

- make myself so fluent in English
- strenghten my Will so much that I don't care what it takes to achieve what I want
- really, I mean REALLY help people
- make copywrite that influence everyone

...and many other things that I'm too exhausted to mention.

I know that little, tricky thing called "ACTION" will stay with me to the end of my life.

And
with all my heart
I will say:

Thank You, Lex.

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
Challenge number three completed

1. Help someone. Solve a problem for someone. Do it without asking for anything in return just like yesterday, and just like the day before. Remember, it doesn't have to be something epic. Just something that impacts them positively in some way.

Two days ago I got contacted by a man on Fiverr who wanted my Gig.. He had a custom job he wanted. The price, with a discount, would be $90. He initially thought the price would be $50 but he had made a miscalculation. So I told him that I could not do it for $50 because I had other gigs to prioritize and it would mean I would end up doing a gig which included a 50% freebie.

Now since then I started this challenge. I reached out to him and told him, that I would do the gig. For a price he felt he could afford, any price.

I know how one can feel, just starting out, it can suck. But I want to help him get going (he is starting out in the publishing niche btw).

So I guess this does not really fall under the deal "ask nothing in return" but I let him come up with the price and I'll just do what he wants. I consider it as education:)

EDIT 2015-04-08: This is the feedback I got. It is not to show-off but rather to inspire that giving really pays off big time. It is not all about the dollars.

"Very generous from you to do this."

My client wrote a whole lot about himself, his struggles and in all the text it is possible to find AT LEAST 2 ideas for a business or a service. Although it would be great to share, I will restrain from doing so in respect of his privacy. Point is that once you start giving, you receive a whole lot. And this is just the 3rd day I'm doing SinisterLex Challenge.

2. Write 5 new headlines that MAKE THEM STOP, and tap into your prospects desires & emotions.
  1. Average US. Household Has $15,611 in Credit Card Debt - Use This 3 Step Method to Get Rid of Yours Effortlessly
  2. Reveal How College Dropout Makes $2,000 per Month Just by Following These 15 Powerful Principles
  3. The 7 Strange Secrets of Getting Your Mortgaged Paid for in No Time
  4. How to Easily Avoid the Number One Cause of Death During Pregnancy
  5. 5 Rapid Ways to Make Tipp-Ex Your New Powerful Office Tool
  • Number 1 builds on statistics and something people struggle with.
  • Number 2 refers to this thread (sorry for calling you a dropout^^)
  • Number 3 actually refers to the words "paid FOR" meaning you do not pay it yourself
  • Number 4 is refers to a disease occurring during pregnancy that can actually kill a woman and is a huge problem in some countries and a major pain for many women
  • Number 5 is just relating to my Tipp-Ex here on my desk, the company is called Rapid and I thought it was quite funny:)
3. Using your product or service, or something you make up, write a paragraph or two to your target customer utilizing the influential phrases you learned in this post. Consider using all 3 types of phrases for maximum impact, and remember to write with intent. Find ways to show how your product helps your customer while driving them toward the action you want them to take.

"Have you ever considered the number one cause of death during pregnancy? It statistically affects almost all pregnant women. If you have not yet made preparations for your pregnancy, you may be at risk. Discover the 7 scientific methods doctors use to prevent preeclampsia.

You can use these 7 simple methods to claim a totally safe and sound pregnancy.

Get instant access here

After Friday, these methods will be out of your reach forever"

3/15 completed

Last edited:

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
I know I have to complete challenge 9. Gosh I'm slacking with this.

BUT here is an update for Friday: I have been approached by a past client to do their marketing campaign.

I sent a offer back and we have agreed upon a price for a total amount of 22 hours. The rate is good and I will learn a lot from this:)

all thanks to @SinisterLex

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just transferred a well-deserved $2K+ rep to @SinisterLex for the GOLD in this thread -- was shooting for $10K, Ill have to finish tomorrow. :happy:

Does the content give them what they hoped for or does it disappoint?

Ultimately this is for everything. If the product performs, no one will care if click-bait got the eyeball.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
See ya'll?

It's that easy.

The universe rewards action.

Awesome @DaRK9 !

Just Do It!
It was amazingly easy. After viewing the profiles of the people who applied, I realized why.

It was the same I, I, I, BS @SinisterLex has been talking about.

That's all there is to it.

After I had messaged the client, he asked for two samples.
I gave him four.

Boom.

Instantly, I had gone the extra mile. With roughly one or two minutes of tedious, laborious work.

Thanks for the awesome posts @SinisterLex. I had been holding off on freelancing from oDesk for a while now. Mostly because of horror stories and seeing all the low budgets on there.

Then I realized that even the low budget projects would only take me a few hours. $80 in two hours? Compared to my normal job? Sign me up.
Excellent bro! Are you new to copywriting or do you have some experience? Props either way.
I have experience from past web design work. Never got into it that much until now.

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
1. Help someone. Solve a problem for someone no matter how big or small. Don't ask for anything in return.

Sent out an email to ALL my prior clients online asking how they are and if their business are going well, then I told them that if I could help them with anything, asking questions or stuff I would do it for free. No charge at all.

Got a lot of questions back and great feedback. 1 new order from a man who told me actually needed help but he would like to pay for himself.

2. Write 5 Headlines for a real product that MAKES THEM STOP.

1. 5 Unique Steps to Find a Niche That Brings in Honest Recurring Income
  2. There Are Only 2 Outstanding Ways to Find a Niche. Here Are 3.
  3. Brilliant Strategies to Finding a Plentiful Niche You're Passionate About
  4. How to Use an Ancient Technique to Tap into Recurring Monthly Income
  5. The Last Hour You Will Spend: Latest Hack the Elite Would Ever Use to Claim Success in Any Niche
3. Write 10 sentences utilizing the influential words from Influence Lesson 1. Make sure you write sentences from all three influential time periods. No need to post them here. This is an exercise for yourself, and if you don't do it, you don't hurt anyone but yourself.

1. You might think you are wrong, but you are right. But not the way you think. Click here to find out how wrong you are.
  2. You can literally walk away from this with the exact formula to my success online and start implementing the same strategies today.
  3. You will get huge response if you reach out to people, and they will give you traction and bring you free traffic.
  4. Take a step back and think about what your keyrole is to your business, then figure out the next 3 things you have to do in order to be moving forward.
  5. If you are not moving forward, you are standing still, and if you are standing still your business is in a mode of decay. It will eventually die and the only thing keeping it alive, is your action forward.
  6. SEO is not something done overnight. It takes time and effort. You need to ask yourself: where is my time best put?
  7. Across all devices, internet access will continue to drive mobile traffic development and mobile data traffic is expected to grow by nearly 60 percent per year between 2011 and 2016, mainly driven by video. Are you prepared for the big shift? Grab the essential 3-step-method to massive traffic and solidify your business in a matter of hours!
  8. So you are procrastination with your business? You need to take a step back, filter out the noise in your head and allow yourself a clean slate.
  9. Remember you want to put as much time as possible on your business. Do not get distracted or lose focus. I'm serious about this, many businesses fail because the entrepreneur put on too many hats.
  10. This course will guide your way, it will take you through the exact steps to a powerful career change that will crush your competition and bring you to the top of success. Remeber that the course is limited and after Friday, you are on your own…

4. Figure out what the 1 action is that you've been putting off and do it. If you're trying to get freelance gigs and are afraid you don't have experience, submit your cover letter and see what happens. If you're thinking of cold calling local shops to pitch websites, then do it, and get real results. Whatever 1 thing you've been putting off due to fear, or lack of motivation, or whatever else, just F*cking do it.

The last week I have procrastinated to finish my online course, even though I have to finish it by saturday. I have just a little left and yesterday I finished about half of what was left. As soon as I get off this train, I will finish the last part. Course WILL be done on saturday, before 11am.

Last edited:

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
Day 5 Challenge

1. Solve a problem for someone. No matter how big or small, and don't ask anything in return.

Had a client who wanted to get a job done in 10 days. I put all effort to it and finished it in 3. Got great feedback and a very happy customer.

2. Write 5 headlines for a real product that MAKES THEM STOP!

• Explore the Australian Outback or the alleys of Rome - RUN! like Karnazes
  • Be natural and reveal the movement of bare-foot running - A free running shoe
  • Run a marathon, bare-foot - On Asphalt - Here is how
  • Explode your running performance today - With this secret
  • Without this free running shoe you are lost in the tracks
3. Write 5 influential sentences using the lessons from day 3.

• You are looking for financial freedom, saving for your 401k is a bad idea because it takes 80 % of your life to do it.
  • Your best shot at financial freedom ends tonight, without it you will be left on your own.
  • Stop filling your computer with notes and scribbles, you only need these 3 steps of action right now to claim financial freedom.
  • If you don't want to spend over 45 years making someone else successful, then you need to grab this one-time offer before it ends tonight.
  • Get instant access to the one formula that will get you the hottest chick on the beach, grab it before someone else does.

4. Take 1 action you are most afraid of. Just do it.

I published my online course today:) awaiting approval and it will soon be launched and online.

5. Type a page of copy selling a real product, using a good headline, subheadlines, & the techniques listed in this lesson.

How to Invest Like the Legends and Build Your Portfolio

THE COURSE THAT PROVIDES VALUABLE INSIGHT TO LEGENDARY INVESTORS, ALL READY TO APPLY AND TURN YOUR PORTFOLIO INTO A CASH MACHINE!

Start building your own stock portfolio by copying the simple steps of legendary investors.

Don't you have any experience?

---- No prior experience is needed.

Never built a portfolio before?

--- All can be applied immediately.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

About this course:

• Learn How to Invest from 5 Legendary Investors
  • Full, Free Lifetime Access
  • All Future Extra Lectures and Upgrades Are Always Included for FREE
  • Alumni Students Always Get All Future Courses for FREE or Heavily Discounted
  • 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee, No Questions Asked
  • All Future Bonus Packages Will Be Yours for FREE

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Want to know what strategies to follow for successful value investing?

See what strategies the legends follow for investing.

Use value investing like the legends to create a portfolio that

provides you with a monthly recurring income

from several companies.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

My plan?

• To retire earlier than my friends and family
  • To use the methods of already successful investors and create a safe portfolio that keeps bringing me income every month to my bank account

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Are ready to build a massive portfolio?

Then press that GREEN button (you will love green when you invest) and take this course!

Take this opportunity now, you will continually get more lectures and more bonus material. With every update the price will increase - So grab your copy today!

- Robin Wiman

P.S

I will be here along the way and help you with any questions you might have. Lets build a stock empire together. Discover the true way of automated money!

P.P.S

Compounding interest is the most MASSIVE force in the universe. Stop wasting time that could be put to making the money work for you. Build your own cash machine earning money for you 24/7.

Day 5/15 Completed

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
For that job I sent an application of 500+ words in the form of an article that was required in the job.

Seems like you just now started to listen to the advice given in this thread:)

it baffles me how some say: providing value is easy.

No. It's not. Providing value may be simple, but it's not easy. It takes dedication and willpower. 99% of all people lack that.

Haven't had any jobs yet? Here is a quick how-to (notice that this is not recommended once you get started): Start working right away.

If the application says: "I need 5 articles that sell my product"

Then get to work. All other applicants will be busy writing their application.

Write one out-of-this-world-great article, send it over, write some great way how you will take the client from point A to point B.

Then at the end you say: I wrote an article for you that will provide great value for your customers. Consider it a bonus:)

Giving away is pure gold. Also try to find interesting synonyms. Interesting, not strange.

Perhaps someone have different experience with this.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Each Chocolate is made with extreme care

Here there's room for more sensory input.

"extreme care" is vague.

This is your chance to create a picture in the reader's mind, not just of the chocolate, but of what went into it in terms of how much time and effort it took to create and how much chocolate is packed in each bite.

What experience is the reader in for if they break down and buy this chocolate right now? What experience do they hope to give their partner? What makes this chocolate special compared to all those other chocolates?

Each delectable chocolate is made with the profound deliciousness of ten thousand grams of rich, earthy Mediterranean cocoa powder hand blended with natural cane sugars and filled with molten caramel. Every tasty bite is chilled on a frozen slab of ice stone for three days to forge a tiny block of perfection. An ecstasy the likes of which is only found in dreams.

Sometimes vague is good, like when you need the prospect to make assumptions about your product. But when push comes to shove, people buy experiences. "Extreme care" doesn't tell them anything about what they might experience. On the other hand it's easy to imagine molten caramel exploding in your mouth when you sink your teeth deep into one of the softest, richest chocolates on the planet.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hi Lex thanks for your reply.

I just got my first 2 jobs done on upwork at $20 per hour, and got 5 start ratings + great reviews, thanks your "make money copywriting" thread.

How do you approach creating the proposals? Do you create a quick proposal mentioning your previous similair projects and focusing on his needs, or do you basically write a sales letter to prove your skills? How long you take on writing each one?

This guy Danny Marquee who is at $250 per hour on upwork, adviced that you should basically give the exact example of your previous work that matches what the client want's. If it's a fitness sales letter, you should post a fitness sales letter as an example, and if you don't have one, you should create one.

Could you clarify how you get clients? Thanks Lex!

I custom tailor every proposal for the individual client and their needs.

I RARELY apply, because when you can help people like you say you can, they come to you.

I never accept or apply to gigs unless I know 100% for sure that I can help them make more money.

Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 6.47.39 AM.png

All of these except 1 are people who contacted me. I met with them, didn't fit. Withdrew.

One of them was a fit. I took that client out of UW and withdrew because why keep it open?

FYI $250/hr means nothing. Mostly it just filters out virtually everyone.

Usually I see people from TFF doing that to try and feel good about rates they don't actually earn...

I don't ever write sales letter style applications. I write what the client needs to read to know what I can do.

Sometimes that means writing more. Sometimes it means writing less.

It always means linking to my portfolio and telling a story about how I helped someone with a similar project.

Sometimes it takes minutes. Sometimes it takes hours.

I'm looking for big fish with very specific needs, so I take as long as it takes to make it right.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I knew it was bad when I wrote it haha

Cut that statement from your dictionary right now. Never say it again.

You did the best you could based on where you're at. In time you'll learn and grow.

Never discount your own work when you do the best you can.

And if it's not the best you can do...don't use it. Do better.

Just do your best. That's how you form the process if you wanna be a pro.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hello there!

Awesome Conversion Focused Copywriter And Sales Funnel Expert Ready To Craft You Some Killer Sales Material And Become a Long-Term Partner...

Let's break this thing down.

First, your headline (the sentence above) goes at the top. Before "Hi there," because you're writing for someone who wants sales copy. That's how you start to show them. You HAVE to GET their ATTENTION because that's what they expect (when you're dealing with someone who specifically says they want a "sales" copywriter.)

Second, your headline sentence is wayyyy to long. Make it like 8 words or less so they can scan and read it fast.

I noticed that you're looking for a kick a$$ copywriter/sales funnel expert for you weight loss product launch.

There's a grammar error in this sentence. You are done.

Everything you talked about on your job posting is my EXACT area of expertise. + I've been in the fitness industry for 8+ years, which makes it incredibly easy for me to craft the marketing message around your target markets needs, painpoints, and desires.

There's a spacing error in this sentence. You are done.

Plus you broke the golden rule and started talking about your experience. You switched from a Y.O.U. focus to a M.E. focus. If it was so easy to craft a marketing message for a target market, then your message should already have proven itself to your client.

Avoid claims like that unless you can back it up with some kind of visual or numbers.

I've built tons of sales funnels with different uppsell structures with very high converting video sales letters. + I've done multiple email sequences for my own online business and clients businesses. I love critiquing video sales letters and I can easily identify how to make it better, because I know the exact structure, wording, and persuasion techniques that should be used in a high converting VSL.

There's a spelling error in this sentence. You are done.

Too much M.E. focus here. Clients don't care about your business, your clients, or what you love.

I attached a couple of different sales video script examples for you to get an idea of my copywriting and marketing skills.

This is good. Keep this.

The first one is a video sales letter script (example named: ''customer captivation offer'') that I made for a client who sells information products to females looking to compete in fitness competitions. The exact product sold with that video was a course on getting super lean for a competition and winning it. (check out the blue text under the actual script to see my explanation of the strategic marketing purpose of the sentences and words. This will give you good idea of my marketing, sales, and persuasion skills.)

Paragraph is too long. Hard to read.

You used the word "exact" for a second time. This tells me your vocab probably isn't strong.

By now the client already has a good idea of your marketing skills. He knows you're not a pro.

The second example (example named ''tripwire sales letter'') was for another fitness business owner who sold a low dollar tripwire offer with this video sales letter. Both of these projects were very successful and the clients very happy.

Explaining each example makes them feel stupid. Like they can't figure it out on their own.

If your copy's clear, they should be able to figure it out no problem.

My education in creating video sales letters had come from today's highest level internet marketers like Perry Belcher and Todd Brown who pull in millions in sales with VSL's. I've invested thousands and thousands in courses and bootcamps to learn from these guys. And I credit the success of my VSL's to these two incredible guys.

Improper usage of the word "had."

"Thousands and thousands" really?

Personally, I wouldn't believe a word of this.

Now, I know you're probably get a bunch of lowball bids...

"Get" should have an "ing" on the end.

But you really want to risk this project on a lowest bidder, and not for the best copywriter and sales funnel expert?

The word "do" should come after "But" and you just planted a seed in your client's mind with the word "risk." Now he's thinking about risk and associating it with you.

I'm super excited to work with you on this project and create a long term relationship. Hit me up and let's get to work!!

Another M.E. focused sentence. He doesn't care what you're excited about.

---

So you wrote a long letter...congratulations.

But it still looks like every other application, just more of the same.

Based on what you said about risking low-budget freelancers, I'll assume your rates are set higher.

Your copy doesn't back it up. You need more low-budget gigs to build experience.

Stop sending so many applications. You're wasting your time.

I've never sent more than 5 applications before getting a gig. You know why?

Because I spend 2-5 hours perfecting an application and making sure I didn't miss a damn thing.

One single spelling or grammar error is enough to get skipped over.

It's enough to prove you're not the one.

They want the guy who knows his shit, and takes the time to do it right.

You wanna get paid like a pro, you gotta be a pro. 1 error is 1 too many. Take your time. Do it right.

MindWarrior

Power Moves
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Feb 23, 2015
I'm in!

Thank you for your valuable contribution, sir.

For today's first challenge I helped an acquaintance optimize one of his paid search campaigns. He should see a significant decrease in his CPA

Thomas1980

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jan 26, 2014
Day 5 | Technique Lesson 2
F.U.C.C.C.
Fundamental Understanding of Core Concepts in Copywriting
or
K.I.S.S.
Keep It Stupidly Simple

Effective Copy Operates from Solid Foundations.

It doesn't have to be complicated, and you don't have to study for years. You can learn enough in a few minutes to improve anything you write. The more you practice the better you'll be, but you don't have to be J.K. to sell.

This isn't a comprehensive guide, and I can't teach everything in a post, but the stuff you're about to learn will help your copy flow more easily for you and your customers.

Before we start you should know that anything you write should be tailored to your specific audience, and also for the medium where it'll be read. For instance the format of a sales letter won't work very well for most website home pages, so you'll need to modify your style if you want it to look good.

Keep in mind none of these rules are absolutes.

Technique 1: Open with a Question

Why are questions so useful?

Because they draw us in and almost force us to find answers. We MUST know, so we drop a line &
keep reading to finally get closure. Make sure you don't answer the question in the same line or it loses its effect.

For Example:

"Do you ever have trouble hearing what other people say?
If so, then..."

By the way did you notice I did it to you at the beginning of this technique? ;)

Technique 2: Ask More questions

What happens if you ask another question instead of just giving the answer?

It has the same effect and keeps em' reading for more!

For Example:

"Do you ever have trouble hearing what other people say?
Do people sometimes tell you you're freakin' deaf?
If so, then..."

The longer they read, the more chances you have to influence. Be sure not to ask too many questions without offering a solution or you'll piss em' off.

Technique 3: Use Short Sentences

Short sentences move fast. The shorter the better. Eleven words or less is good. More than that and you slow things down. If you want to impact emotion, use short sentences. It speeds up their mind and makes em' want action.

That doesn't mean longer sentences can never be useful, and you'll find there are times when you really want your readers to slow down and grasp what you say. Use long sentences whenever you want to emphasize something, or when you want your prospects to consider a thought or idea more deeply. Use short sentences when you wanna speed em' up again.

Technique 4: Short Paragraphs

This technique is just like the one before it. Keep paragraphs short if you want to keep things moving effortlessly. Long paragraphs take longer to read, and they end up looking like a wall of text. People don't like walls of text.

Instead writer short paragraphs that are 3 lines or less. Sometimes this means increasing font size to fill up more space, or sometimes you have to decrease it or cut out words if you want it to fit.

Technique 5: Less syllables = Easier to Read

Are you aware of the astronomical quantity of citizens who are absolutely, cataclysmically, abominably mediocre when it comes to aptitude for comprehending the transcribed word?

It's pretty crazy, but seriously...

A lot of people suck at reading.

When we use less syllables our words are easier to understand.

My personal experience is that less syllables is usually better, though I've had a few clients who needed more intelligible writing for certain elite audiences. For most product copy, use less syllables and you can't go wrong.

Technique 6: Make Sub-headings Larger than Body Text

Large sub-headings are for people who like to skim instead of reading everything. When writing sub-headings make sure every word counts because it may be all your prospect sees. I can think of a thousand times when I only read the sub-headings and nothing more. But, if the sub-heading doesn't stand out by being larger, then it may not be seen at all.

Technique 7: Choose Where Each Line Ends

Most of us are used to writing sentences that continue the entire length of the page until they finally
return on their own. In copy it's a little different. In copy we still write across the length of the page but
we choose when to hit return so
we can carry our readers to the
next line.

See what I did there? The last examples were just for effect. The first two lines are how it
normally works. Oops, did it again. ;)

"finally..." - Reader asks, "finally what?"
"but..." - Reader asks, "but what?" and they read the next line for the answer.

Technique 8: Read that Shit Out Loud!

OMG... If you're not reading your copy out loud before going live, then it's no wonder you're not
getting the responses you want! When we read our copy out loud we can find subtle differences in the
wording that changes everything.

Sometimes when I write it comes out really wordy, but I don't know it until I read it out loud. Sometimes
I even have to read it about 10 times before it sounds good. When it sounds good out loud it usually
sounds good in our mind.

Any words that seem like they maybe don't necessarily need to be in the sentence, probably don't.

Technique 9: Speak to the Senses

We'll talk more about this one later, but I want to bring it up for those who are writing copy now. All humans think in terms of their senses all the time. That means sight, sound, smell, taste & touch.

If you want to connect with people, and you want them to experience what you have to say, then you have to write words that give them those experiences.

This is especially true for those of you pecking away at your keyboards, watching words fill up the screen while waiting for your Starbucks to cool after nearly spilling it across the floor because the over-enthusiastic Barista was too busy smiling at customers and forgot to add the cardboard cover to your scalding hot brew.

This is sensory-based language. This is also how you show the reader what you want them to see instead of telling them about it.

Technique 10: Use Action Language

This technique is last but it may be the most powerful of all.

Anytime you write copy you should be using the active voice...

Let's rephrase that.

Anytime you write copy use the active voice.

Feel the difference?

For starters, the active voice cuts out most extra words before you ever read out loud. Plus it allows you to direct the reader instead of letting them make their own choices.

"You should." is very different than, "You will."

"I think you should go over there." is very different than, "Go over there."

"I'll think about it." is very different than, "I'll do it."

Action driven language communicates with clarity.

There's a time and a place for passive language, but most of the time write for action.

If you're selling a product or service, then drive action from the start so your reader gets used to being directed, and by the time they reach the end of your copy they're ready to follow your lead...

Order Now.
Reply.
Join.

This list isn't even close to complete.
There's tons of techniques that aren't mentioned, and probably a zillion that I don't even know about. Still, these should be enough to give you a working foundation so you can get started and get feedback. Once you have feedback you can adjust as needed.

Day 5 Challenge

1. Solve a problem for someone. No matter how big or small, and don't ask anything in return.

2. Write 5 headlines for a real product that MAKES THEM STOP!

3. Write 5 influential sentences using the lessons from day 3.

4. Take 1 action you are most afraid of. Just do it.

5. Type a page of copy selling a real product, using a good headline, subheadlines, & the techniques listed in this lesson.

||||||
||||||
||||||

Okay, Day 5 is done and you're still here!
Great! If you're actually following the
steps, then you're probably making
real progress! When you're
ready, continue to Day 6
Influence Lesson

There will be a 2 day copywriting seminar for $300 starting tomorrow. I contemplated going, but between the books that I've read and your pearls of wisdom, I think I'll spend the $300 on something else of value.

Thanks for the FREE pearls of wisdom Lex!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
So I guess this does not really fall under the deal "ask nothing in return"

The concept is the same. Ask nothing in return is simply to shift the mindset. Your intent is what makes the difference.

Number 2 refers to this thread (sorry for calling you a dropout^^)

Close enough haha.

They kicked me out, I didn't drop out.

Then they let me back in when I persuaded them with an influential letter to Administration.

:)

Conscious influence is powerful stuff.

Thomas1980

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jan 26, 2014
Below is a copy that I wrote for a "Set of 3 Assisted Pull-Up Bands" that I sell locally and online. Since we're all learning & teaching in this thread, feel free to critique my copy with add-ons/removals/suggestions - whatever.
I'm new to copywriting and I plan on writing everyday to improve my skill-set. I appreciate Lex for starting this thread and the newbies that are putting themselves out there and contributing. Hopefully we can all learn and improve together:

How Many Pull-Ups Can You Do?

If you're like the majority of people - the answer is either few or none!

Hanging onto a bar and lifting your entire bodyweight can be a challenge!

Have you ever passed by the Pull-up bar at the gym or at the park and thought about trying it?
Or, maybe you did try and you weren’t able to do any... That Pull-up Bar can be intimidating, especially if people are around!
That frightening thought of reaching up to the bar, and not being able to lift yourself…

Don’t let that Pull-up bar get the best of you! Pull-ups provide you with one of the greatest benefits to your back and upper body!

Wouldn’t it be nice if there was something to assist you over that bar?
Something small, lightweight and easy to use..

Well look no further- introducing my Set of 3 Assisted Pull-Up Resistance Bands!

What's In The Box:

1. XS (Red) Resistance Level 5-25 lb.

2. Medium (Purple) Resistance Level 25-75 lb.

3. XXL (Orange) Resistance Level 70-170 lb.

{INSERT PICTURES OF PRODUCT}

Also Great For:

* Fitness training programs such as CrossFit and P90X.

* Pilates, yoga and other flexibility exercises.

* Powerlifting and weightlifting.

* A Simple, Fast, and Effective Workout

Features and Benefits:

*The bands weigh between 5-25 ounces, making them to easy to carry around and exercise anywhere.

*Each band is color coded, which allows you to identify which resistance level you are using.

*100% natural latex lubber - high elasticity - high resilience - making your bands long lasting!

Simple to Use

1. Place the band around the center of the pull-up bar. ...

2. Pull the end of the band down, and place one bent knee into the loop, ensuring it won't slip out. ...

3. Pull yourself upward by contracting the lats as you flex the elbow. ...

4. After a brief pause, return to the starting position.

Get That "V" Shaped Upper Body Physique!

Pull-Ups are to your upper body, what squats are to your lower body!

Why - because pull-ups work the entire back and core muscles.

Keeping your core strong in the middle!

How Much?

$49.99 for the entire set of 3!
That’s 10% cheaper than purchasing each band separately!

Click BUY IT NOW and you'll be knocking out Pull-ups within the next 2-3 business days!
FREE Shipping via Priority Mail!

100% Money Back Guarantee
For 30 Days!

If you’re not completely satisfied with your bands, send them back for a complete refund!
No questions asked!​

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
Has anyone contacted you for gigs yet?

Not yet, and to be honest I had never really thought about being contacted outside of oDesk like that:D

I will keep you updated when that happens, that would be sick.

Even if you're just hustling for cash for another business, this can easily become an unlimited source of income once you get it going.
I double that!

Learning copy feels like I'm learning a profession that can be picked up later in life. Like carpeting or something. People always need houses, people also always need to sell their stuff.

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
Challenge 10

1. Answer the questions and try the exercises above if you haven't already done so.

Check - I prefer to keep this to myself:)

2. Help someone in some way. Solve a problem for them. Ask nothing in return.

I ran a 1.5 hour long skype call walking through a client exactly how to setup a successful facebook ad - free

Every morning when I wake up, I read emails from clients who praise my work, and I'm not even remotely close to Lex status of a copywriter.

But you have to believe. Believe it work, and it will.

3. Take action on something you've been procrastinating on, or putting off.

I had 2 tasks I really needed to get done and finished them 6.30am today and immediately felt more energy.

4. Write 5 headlines that are very specific - targeted toward a niche audience.

1. How an Ex-Homeless Built an Email List Using Starbuck's WiFi
  2. The Minute-Email List Trick - Explode Your List in a Tick
  3. His House Burnt down - but the Email List Paid for a New One
  4. If You Build an Email List like This in 2015 You're Not Making It into 2016
  5. He Turned a List of 57 People into Five Figures Overnight
5. Write a short 2 to 3 paragraph, persuasive product description (not a sales letter).

Here is my copy:

Do you know what's sucky about writing copy?
Ideas. You stare into the void. All you can think of is
pressing that "Post Reply." You badly want to come up with
something clever. Something that sells, right?

But it does not have to be that way. Not if you follow along
in the 15 Days to Freedom. Because that way you can make money
copywriting in 15 days or Less. And even tell the never ending
rat race to f... have a pleasant journey.

So, do you know what sucks about writing copy?
Nothing. It defines. It cuts through. Copy captures the essence of
your inner-most desire. To make others feel like a kid at Christmas, when
the package you sold them arrives at their doorstep. And your
bank account.
--------
Now, I thought reading my copy might be very boring. So I looked up Thinkgeek, who has some killing product descriptions on their site. Funny and interesting, makes you wanna buy simple stuff.

Here is the website: ThinkGeek
Here are some really great examples:

Product: Flashlight
You know what's sucky about regular flashlights? They only come in two colors: white or that yellowish-white that reminds us of the teeth of an avid coffee drinker. What fun is that kind of flashlight? We'll answer that: NO FUN AT ALL. You know what is fun? Using the Multi-Color LED Flashlight to cast a sickly green glow over your face while telling a zombie story around a campfire. No campfire? Make a fake one with the orange light!

--------
Product: some electric gizmo
GREAT SCOTT!! Marty has travelled back in time and taken the Flux Capacitor with him. We're not exactly sure where, so Doc Brown has authorized us to make these smaller Flux Capacitors to you so we can crowd-search time for Marty. Each one is capable of returning to a specific point in time, so you can join the search. Just plug it into your car's 12V vehicle power adapter (cigarette lighter) and turn it on. 88mph and . . . ok, don't go that fast. That would be bad, because the Flux Capacitor Car Chargerwon't really take you through time - but it will charge all your USB-powered goodies.

--------
Product: avengers plush toys

We've all seen it before. Sometimes when superheroes become established they go soft. They coast on their reputation, remembering past good deeds instead of undertaking new ones. But nobody would accuse the Avengers of such shenanigans - until now.

They've all gone soft, or, well, at least some of the guys have. Choose Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, or Thor. Each of these Avengers: Age of Ultron Fabrikations soft-sculpt figures from Funko has only one point of articulation. Their heads turn, as if to say, "No, we have NOT gone soft. We have gone plushy. It's different." Take it from our tiny genius, billionaire, playboy, plushanthropist.

Day 10/15 completed

Last edited:

Peakdesire

Burning Desire to Succeed
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
You should test it and stop asking people to do the work for you because they can't.

Change your rates and note the results. If you like the results, good. If not, try again.

That's what being an entrepreneur is. Until you learn that, you won't make much money.

Sent 4 proposals today.

Utilized your tips and spent a little more time on the proposals.

Just got done with a phone interview with a dentist from San Diego who owns 2mil+/year dental practice...

Got hired at $15/hour to help him bring an information product to the market which will be sold to dentists via webinar.

Quite a long term project.

And I'll get 3% of the sales revenue of the product + he will hire me for more projects in the future.

On the phone he said ''you didn't have many jobs on your profile but I really liked your proposal and I got the feeling that you took some time to write it out so I respect that.''

Thanks Lex ;)

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
... but only 2,500 for academic writing and research. I imagine that if you have the chops for it, you could sweep that category by applying the principles learned here to your work application.

Yes. A simple Y.O.U. focused application will crush every other candidate in virtually any niche.

That's what I was trying to get across in my other thread.

Some have used my training in other categories and easily cashed in.

One person messaged me here a few days ago; said he picked up a $15,000/mo contract on Upwork because of my thread.

Based on the numbers above, looks like everybody's jumping on the copy bandwagon.

Y.O.U. focus still wins.

Sowexly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Nov 7, 2013
I'd love to blow my horn but I can only do so much, I'll be back for this masterpiece after I nail Gary's 30 day. I'm sure it'll be like reading my thoughts back to myself (that should be the result after completing the challenge).

PS: These mindset lessons are right I haven't touched much fastlane but I know for a fact that living to create value for others is the greatest thing you can do.

EDIT: The challenge most definitely can be action faking, I've found that analysis paralysis is easy to fall into. This challenge is no different but keeping the speed high (finishing a book every day or two) to me creates a work environment that keeps juices flowing and brainpower pumped.

Last edited:

Thomas1980

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jan 26, 2014
Day two Challenge

Bear with me as I'm very new to the art of persuasion and copy writing as well.

One of the 5 products I chose was a weight loss program. Here are five that I came up with. Critique away, I need it.

“Lose twenty pounds THIS MONTH!”
“The Astonishing Secrets of Rapid Weight Loss!”
“Bikini ready, THIS MONTH!”
“Beach Body Fastlane, Surpass Your Friends!”
"Celebrity Weight Loss Hacks, EXPOSED!"

Regardless of whether you're brand new or not, you took ACTION!

I'm in the process of writing a sales letter for the very first time. I'm very new to this as well, and like you, I'm taking action!

Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Awesome bro!

I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but here's how I get feedback from first-time clients.

"Hey John,

Just letting you know I finished your [whatever I wrote] and attached it to this message.

I really enjoyed working for you, and I think your company is headed for great things!

Now that the project is finished, if you'll go ahead and close the contract, I'll leave you

5-star feedback so other freelancers know you're legit and will be happy to work for

you in the future. If you ever need my services again, just shoot me a message.

Thanks for everything!

Lex"

You can't bold stuff in odesk, so ignore the bold. It's just to show key words that will get you feedback fast. I tested this with several clients by not asking, and the result was those clients didn't leave feedback at all.

The first bold word, "for", empowers them by making them feel like a boss. It makes them feel good.

The second bold phrase gives them permission and direction. "Go ahead." "Close the Contract."

The third bold phrase removes the X factor. They can't see the feedback you leave, until they leave feedback, but if you let them know the feedback you're gonna leave, they'll relax, appreciate the favor, and will return it.

By explaining how the 5-star feedback helps them, you also create value.

Which solidifies you as there new favorite freelancer.

NOTE: NEVER ask for 5-star feedback. That is unethical. Instead, create value, and earn it.

Every client I've tried this on left 5 star feedback, within a day.
Awesome tips. I read one of your posts about letting them know you rated them 5 stars. I sent a similar message but said "with" instead of for.

Makes sense to write copy while writing about making copy.

Edit: Just looked, got 5 stars.

David Fiddler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Jan 11, 2015
It's starting to get to a point where I'm not comfortable with setting my rates higher. Now I'm not talking about high rates, for your standards doing 20-25$/hour is shit money, but I'm much more comfortable at the 15$/hour range.

It's because most of my clients are the type of guys who read the 4 hour work week and want to start some e-biz with a blog. I gladly serve them the best I can, but they won't get much traffic, so I don't know if my content actually works or not. All I know is people much smarter than me wrote about things that worked ages ago and some other smart people like SinisterLex learned their way and can make it work. I don't know if I can. I try my best to follow their teachings. I'm a F*cking direct marketing acolyte praying no one finds out about my dirty doings.

I usually work some hours without logging the hours to make sure my copy is the best I can produce. I also have to use things like grammarly and hell, sometimes even google translate cause I'm not a native english speaker.

Today I got my first real deal, it's a legit business this time, a start-up with potential. With the ability to track my effectiveness. If I produce shit copy their whole project might fail. But hell, their business seems so good they might make it despite my copy. Or. Maybe...just maybe, my copy will actually work. Seeing them succeed would be much more of a relief for me now than seeing a fat income on my profile. Of course this is because I'm hungry for future success, but still.

I might keep you guys updated if anyone is interested. I have been faking it successfully, now it's time to make it. If I can't I'm F*cked in the a$$ with all my fragile reputation's fragments scratching my rectum and it's off to the Bahamas with me living on coconuts, without the Internet.

But I also start to see hope it might actually work. This keeps me going. Sorry for the mental diarrhea, but it has to get out when it wants to get out, hence its name.

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
I have yet to complete Challenge 11.. Grr

But instead I stumbled over this lovely story. It is a perfect example about how

and why you should write with simple words. And cut to the chase. So, without

further delay.

The journalist Harold Evans famously invited readers of one of his works to consider

which words appearing on an imaginary marketplace signpost could be deleted without

harming comprehension. The words on the sign were:

FRESH FISH SOLD HERE

He showed that all of the words could be deleted because people would

expect the fish to be “fresh” and “sold”—so it doesn’t need saying—while the

person reading the sign knows they are “here,” and the “fish” could probably

be smelt anyway.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders