The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's: 15 Days to Freedom - Make Money Copywriting in 15 Days or Less

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
15 Days to Freedom
Make money copywriting in 15 days or less.
(Without writing a hundred Gary Halbert letters)​

Everything you think you know about the way they’ve taught you to think about the way things are supposed to work…

…is a lie.

Consider what this sentence actually means.

Now think about whatever reasons (excuses) you've been verbally vomiting to yourself about why you’re not getting anywhere and why you’re not making progress. What specifically holds you back? This isn't the time for vagueness. It's time to be real with yourself. It's time to be clear.

Get specific.

Is it that you don’t know what to do? Is it that you don’t know where to start? Is it because you don’t have the experience or knowledge? Whatever your reasons are, go ahead and visualize the words and phrases that make up those reasons that hold you back, and get a clear picture of the actual words stamped on your mind.

"No education"
"No experience"
"No money"
"I can't"
"I won't"
"I'm not"

Keep going. Visualize your phrases too.

"I can't take action because I'm not ready yet."

"I can't publish an ebook because I don't know how to write.

"I can't start writing copy because I haven't hand-written 30 sales letters."

Now imagine yourself and all these words and phrases tossing about in an endless black sea. Visualize your excuses floating around you, violently thrashing back and forth in an ocean of darkness, bobbing up and down, tossed side to side like twigs in a hurricane - an endless storm of thoughts and ideas tormenting your mind, forcing you under, and you’re about to drown.

Now stop. Freeze the chaos in place.

When it's still, then pan out. Wayyy out, and notice as your mind grows brighter. Keep panning out and let the scene grow smaller and smaller until the ocean of darkness is tiny. Pan out until you realize the pool of misery is actually a small toilet filled with tiny turds of excuse excrement in desperate need of a courtesy flush. Realize that you’re not in that toilet. You’re beyond it.

Flush the toilet now.

What happens when you press the lever? What happens when you flush? The excrement, the excuses, the endless useless phrases - they all swirl around the bowl, then disappear into the unknown. Just like the shit you flushed last week, your excuses are gone from memory. Gone for good and you can forget them forever.

Now clear your mind, and let's get started.

If you’re reading this, then you’ve been around long enough to know you don’t have to do things the old way. You don’t have to follow the rules, and you don’t have to get the same shitty results as everyone else. We're all here because we want to make money, be successful, and earn freedom.

The path of this forum is to start businesses that help bring the outcomes you want in the shortest time possible. While that may not mean getting rich in a year, it does mean getting freedom and wealth faster than any old job can offer.

But, to speed things up we need tools. Like craftsmen, we need specialized equipment, machines, & utensils for specific jobs that help us excel. One of those tools is money. But how do we get money?

Here's a secret.

When we don' t have the tools we need, then we need to use the tools we have to forge the tools we need to craft our desires into existence.

That's what this thread is about.

Over the next 15 days, I'm going to give you some new tools, and if you pay attention and take the time to read, learn, and test what I say, then you'll have exactly what you need to create income from nothing. Or, if you already have an income you can increase it to help your other pursuits. I've used these methods on Odesk, applications, cover letters, and in person, and I'm confident you can benefit too if you apply what you learn.

Over the next 15 days I'll give you the foundations of my copywriting strategy. Opinions on good copy may differ but...

…the ONLY thing that matters is results.

Since my copywriting has proven results, I'll leave it up to you to decide whether or not you should consider my words. If you care to listen you might learn something new. If you know it all then maybe you'll be refreshed. Whatever you decide is ultimately up to you.

I'll still continue because whether you choose to benefit or not, someone will, and that someone is going to make money. I hope that someone is you.

At the very least your excuses are gone. You flushed em’ down the toilet remember? Now you’re ready to take responsibility for your own destiny, and for your own results.

If you found this post even remotely useful, motivational, or inspirational, and if you want to learn enough about my version of copywriting to earn money now, then consider following this thread, and checking back over the next 15 days as I share what I can in attempt to explain the elements of my recent copy success.

Consider this post a bonus lesson. The 3 elements of basic, powerful copy are within.

Read it again carefully and see if you can find them.

The 3 Elements Are:

Mindset

Technique

Influence

Now that you have no excuses and
the only clear path to your goals is
forward, it's time to take action.

Scroll down and when you’re
ready, engage the first
Mindset lesson
Day 1.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Day 1 | Mindset Lesson 1
Be Like Jesus - Forget You. Help Them.

I’m not sure there’s any more simple way to put it than be like Jesus. The first step to copywriting that makes money fast is to forget yourself. Forget yourself and start caring about other people.

Fake it if you have to. Fake it til’ you make it. But always operate with the intention of making it real.

Leave religion out of the picture. The only thing we’re focused on is a mindset of being focused on other people. Learning to care & help others is extremely powerful. Not only does it change the way you look at the world, but it changes the way the world looks at you.

It seems like a simple shift to make, but it’s not. It took me years to figure out what it actually means to care about others. It took years to figure out that if I just help others, good juju comes my way.

Now I finally understand, and I earn more than ever… Coincidence? Not likely.

You don’t need to fully understand why it works to make it work. All you need to do is try it. All that matters is results, remember? So start thinking in terms of other people. Start accepting others as they are. Start finding ways to help others, and you’ll find the #1 mindset technique to making money with copy.

Since I pretty much beat this concept to death in my other thread, I won’t drag it out here.

Just know that your copy won’t earn a penny until you learn to solve problems for other people.

That’s the first of the 5 Mindset lessons.

Forget You. Help Them.
Day 1 Challenge

Really
Help Someone – When I say help someone I’m not talking about convincing them that you can help them. It’s not about making them believe you can help them. It’s about actually helping them. But most of the people reading this will miss that part. That’s why I keep getting messages asking questions like “How do I get them to believe I can help them?”

The only way to get them to believe you can help them is if you actually prove you can help them, and to prove you can help them you actually have to be capable of performing the task. But before you can do that you have to be operating from the right mindset. So your challenge for Day 1 is to find someone and help them without asking anything in return.

It doesn’t matter how big or small the task, and it doesn't matter if it's online or in person. All that matters is that it truly affects the other person by making their life better, easier, more enjoyable etc.

Do it today.

Succeed at this challenge today or don’t bother reading tomorrow. Either you’re willing to take action now, and do what it takes, or you’re not, and the rest of the lessons won’t help anyway.

That's all for lesson 1. Forget you. Help them.

When
you
are
ready
continue on to Day
2 - Technique
Lesson

Last edited by a moderator:

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA

Sowexly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Nov 7, 2013
I'd love to blow my horn but I can only do so much, I'll be back for this masterpiece after I nail Gary's 30 day. I'm sure it'll be like reading my thoughts back to myself (that should be the result after completing the challenge).

PS: These mindset lessons are right I haven't touched much fastlane but I know for a fact that living to create value for others is the greatest thing you can do.

EDIT: The challenge most definitely can be action faking, I've found that analysis paralysis is easy to fall into. This challenge is no different but keeping the speed high (finishing a book every day or two) to me creates a work environment that keeps juices flowing and brainpower pumped.

Last edited:

Griff

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
354%
Feb 23, 2015
Chicago
I'd love to blow my horn but I can only do so much, I'll be back for this masterpiece after I nail Gary's 30 day. I'm sure it'll be like reading my thoughts back to myself (that should be the result after completing the challenge).
If you ask me, this Gary Halbert challenge sounds like a lot of action faking. Don't let the Halbert Challenge be an excuse for not taking real action. Take SinisterLex as an example. In his gold thread I think he said he started copywriting on O-desk after taking a few notes on cashvertising.

MindWarrior

Power Moves
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Feb 23, 2015
I'm in!

Thank you for your valuable contribution, sir.

For today's first challenge I helped an acquaintance optimize one of his paid search campaigns. He should see a significant decrease in his CPA

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Day 2 | Technique Lesson 1
Make Them STOP!

Stop Sign.jpg

Stop signs share an important message worth exploring. When we see a stop sign, we know what to do. We stop. But why? What specifically makes us stop?

Forget the fact that we've been trained for more than a century to stop at red, octagon-shaped signs. Instead, let's consider the deeper message. Let's think about what the word S.T.O.P. actually does.

The word STOP triggers something in our mind. That something is fear. On a deeper level, it's our survival instinct. STOP taps into our desire to live. If we blow through a STOP sign then we're at much greater risk of death by car accident, and that's something we want to avoid.

STOP also triggers very powerful emotions. When we see a stop sign, we instantly process the following:

If I don't stop it could get my whole family killed.

If I don't stop I could be responsible for the death of someone else.

If I don't stop I could wreck my car, and lose (insert any number of things here).

Now let's look at how this message applies to copywriting, and how we can use it. STOP is a short, 4 letter Headline in all CAPITAL LETTERS, almost always printed in bold. It taps into our basic desire to live, and the emotions surrounding the negative impact of our actions if we ignore it, and it almost always gets our attention.

STOP signs exist for 1 reason - to make us STOP!
When we stop we can think. When we think we can observe. When we observe, we take in more info that helps us decide if it's safe to proceed, and this is exactly what your headline must accomplish!

The first goal of your headline is to make them STOP!

If a prospect doesn't stop, they won't think, and they won't proceed through your text. That means they won't buy anything either. So the first technique of copy that sells is a headline that makes them STOP!

How do I make them stop?

This is where desire & emotion come into play. Now, some books will tell you that you have to tap into desire, and others say you only need emotion. Both can work alone, but they work way better together.

But before they can work at all, you have to tap into the right desire & emotion.
To do that you MUST change your perspective. You have to think in terms of them, not you. By shifting your perspective you can ask questions that gain clarity about what your prospects really want, instead of assuming you know what they want.

Let's look at how two popular books accomplish this.

"The Automatic Millionaire" & "The Millionaire Fastlane "

Two very different books that are both top-sellers. One sells the idea of saving coffee change, while the other sells the idea of starting a business. So, why don't either of these books mention anything about saving money, or starting businesses in their headline?

Because the reader doesn't desire those things, and doesn't connect emotionally either!

Instead they had to get inside their reader's mind and ask the right questions.

Who am I? (Target Market)
Young, 18 to 30 year olds, primarily male.

What do I want? (Desire)
Fast money, fast cars, to not have to work for money or riches. Freedom from jobs.

Why do I want it? (Emotion)
Money, & super cars will make me powerful & seductive.

What if TMF used this headline instead:

Get Rich by Starting a Business and Failing a Lot.

Would you have stopped? Would you have opened the book? Would you have read the first line? Would you have still dedicated your entire life to making this shit work no matter what? Would you even be here right now?!

Probably not, because the headline doesn't speak to you personally. It doesn't tap into your desires or emotions. It doesn't give you a reason to care.

A lot of psychology goes into your headline, but you don't have to spend 10 years learning about it to be effective. All you have to do is ask questions from the prospect's perspective and figure out what they really want. Then find a way to write it in your headline.

Now that you know that your headline's ultimate goal is to make them STOP by tapping into desire & emotion, let's check out some ways you can enhance your headlines.

1. If it's 3 words or less, use ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.
----- "INSTANT CASH LOANS"

2. If it's more than 3 words, Only Capitalize the First Letter of Each Word, Following Basic Grammar Rules.
----- "Big Johnson's Beer & Liquor if We Don't Have It, We'll Get It!"

3. If you can tap into desire / emotion & be creative, then your headline will have more power.
----- "Unleashing the SUPER Ideavirus - Ideas that Spread, Win"

4. Length is based on the headline's goal. If you need it processed fast, then use less words.
----- "How to Win Friends & Influence People"

5. Get rid of extra words. Every word must have a purpose.
----- "Here's How You Can Switch Gears, Downshift, & Drive Into the Millionaire Fastlane .
vs. "The Millionaire Fastlane " - Way less words. Way more impact.

6. If you can add subtle influence to your headline, such as a CTA, you'll add power.
----- "NOW! Get a FREE Animal Tail Butt Plug with Every Vibrating Prostate Massager!"

^

(Now, that's a deal you can't pass up!)

You don't have to be a copywriter to get good at writing headlines. All you need is practice. Take your time, and give every product, website, or cover letter serious thought. It may take you 2 hours to come up with something, but when you get it right it works pretty much every time.

Remember, Your #1 Goal is to MAKE THEM STOP!

Day 2 Challenge

1. Help someone. Do it without asking for anything in return. Just like yesterday.

2. Come up with 5 to 10 products / services / or something else you want to sell. Give serious consideration to the questions above. Figure out the customer's deepest desire. Figure out the emotions they want to experience. Then write 5 to 10 headlines utilizing what you've learned, that MAKE THEM STOP!

If you're feeling brave you can post your headlines in this thread for others to critique. But no pressure.

:jimlad:

Now that you know the first & most
important element of all copy
you can move on to Day
3 -
Influence Lesson

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
Ask Me Anything?
Could you please explain to me - how do I GET PAID? Because I was contacted about a week ago by a few people that run their own business. Now they wanted me to "volunteerely" write articles, because they seen I write good on forums (other than this).

So I wrote them killer clickbait headlines, and they changed them up to something absolutely boring. Even damaged the information in them.

Now - they insists that nobody who writes articles for them will get paid. (Wow what a Control element) But I knew this when I started writing. They promised benefits, but I doubt they will come.

So my question is- How in the world do I get paid?!

Because I am seriously exhausted from working non stop without any financial compensation. (Basically for years)

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Ask Me Anything?
Could you please explain to me - how do I GET PAID? Because I was contacted a few days ago by a few people that run their own business. Now they wanted me to "volunteerely" write articles, because they seen I write good on forums (other than this).

So I wrote them killer clickbait headlines, and they changed them up to something absolutely boring. Even damaged the information in them.

Now - they insists that nobody who writes articles for the will get paid. (Wow what a Control element).

So my question is- How in the world do I get paid?!

The simple answer is - Don't write copy for other people unless you have an agreement for pay.

On a more serious note, there are about 10,000 ways to make money if you can write fair copy.

The only way you'll get paid is if you ask for payment.

Multi billion dollar companies hire copywriters for a lot of money. Sometimes they hire freelance copywriters, so you don't have to give up control.

You can also write scripts for commercials, narration for radio ads, resume services, website pages, direct sales letters and pretty much any thing else you can think of where the written word comes into play.

The main ways to get someone to pay you for your services are:

1. Call businesses and sell them your services.
2. Become a freelancer and apply to gigs.
3. Become a better freelancer and let them contact you.
4. Use your skills to sell your own products or services.
5. Get hired by a high-paying marketing or copywriting firm.

I'm not sure what kind of company contacted you, but it seems like they're looking for cheap content. That's fine, but now you know not to write for them unless there's something in it for you too.

That said, a wise copywriter finds opportunity even when it's not in the form of money. Save the clickbait titles in a word document and start building your portfolio for later.

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
The only way you'll get paid is if you ask for payment.
But I really doubt that any company is going to hire a 18 year old... Also - there are only a few job offers for copywriters here, and most of them are absoulutely hilarious - they want you to do they job for them, even before you apply, and send it to them (your work-allready done).

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
But I really doubt that any company is going to hire a 18 year old...

That's exactly why they wont.

Also - there are only a few job offers for copywriters here

So look for job offers elsewhere, or don't get a job. There's a reason I listed job last.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
But I really doubt that any company is going to hire a 18 year old... Also - there are only a few job offers for copywriters here, and most of them are absoulutely hilarious - they want you to do they job for them, even before you apply, and send it to them (your work-allready done).

I guarantee that if you put any effort into it, you will get hired. 100% guarantee. I also guarantee that if you approach the world with your current mindset, you will continue to struggle. 100% guarantee.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Thanks for the encouragement. Your writing is spot on and, as it so happens, a friend of mine's employer needs help with their IT solutions. She texted me about it, so I offered to go out there and help.....no commitments necessary. I'm pretty sure I can get them fixed up with little effort....and I will look like a champion. Who knows what will develop after that.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Day 3 | Influence Lesson 1
The Butterfly Effect

We can never truly know the real impact of our words.​

Influence is inevitable.” – Unknown

Some of you may think this quote ridiculous.
Maybe you read it and say, “Inevitable? No way. I read Robert Cialdini’s book, and there’s no way I can be influenced now.”

But you are wrong.

Influence happens constantly. Consistently. All around us, all the time. It happens to us, and there’s not a damn thing we can do to stop it. Need proof? Stay awake until you fall asleep. Prove that you can’t be influenced by fatigue, and I’ll never write again.

I can make that statement with confidence because I know that you can be influenced, just as I can be influenced, and just as every other person can be influenced.

But this lesson isn’t about the fact that every single one of us can be influenced.

It’s to help you understand that every action you take, whether physical, mental, verbal or written, influences others, yourself, and the future as you know it.

That’s great, but how does it apply to copywriting?

This could very easily breach the realm of mindset, but this isn’t a mindset lesson, so let’s narrow it down to the words we write.

When was the last time you gave extreme consideration to how your words would be received?

Recall the last time you posted on this forum. Did you spend hours thinking about how people would respond? Did you wonder if your post would help someone instantly?

And did you also spend hours thinking about how people 5 years from now would be impacted when they read it? Or did you simply post it without much thought at all?

What if something you say today triggers a powerful chain of events leading to another Fastlane member’s freedom 3 years from now? How would that make you feel?

That’s the big picture with influence. That’s how it works. What we write today influences others long into the future, and we can never truly know how far that influence extends.

That’s why every word we write MUST have a purpose.

Influence is inevitable, but that doesn’t mean it's always positive. If your writing sucks, or if you blindly write without structure, rhyme or reason, then your copy will negatively impact everyone who reads it for many years to come. But, if you write with intent, always moving toward a specific outcome, then you can practically guarantee you'll have a positive effect.

Good copywriters always keep influence in mind. They know it's not black & white. They know that just because a prospect doesn't buy today doesn't mean he won't come back tomorrow. That's why we always write every single word with a purpose.

Good copy doesn't just drive the sale today.
It plants seeds that drive sales tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day after that.

Alright, enough lecture.

Let's read some kick-a$$ example phrases that'll unlock your mind and
open doors to worlds you never imagined possible!

Influential Words that Sell Today

All of these words & phrases are commands that drive action and
influence your prospect to take the next step.

Buy Now.
Click here.
Join.
Get It.
Subscribe.
Submit.

Influential Words that Sell this Week

All of these words & phrases are commands that
influence your prospect by setting a deadline or
invoking the principle of scarcity.

Offer Ends Friday.
Offer Valid thru Friday.
Offer Good While Supplies Last.
Respond by Friday if You're Interested.
My schedule Fills by Friday.
Call Before Friday.
Order by Friday and Get [insert something here]
There's only a few slots left.
These tacos won't last long.
They're going fast!

Words that Influence Long Into the Future

These words & phrases are called idea seed planters. They
plant seeds of thought that grow either throughout the
length of your copy, or over a period of time with
repeat exposure.

Consider this.
Think about it.
Consider it.
Give it some thought.
Ponder it.
Mull it over.
Consider your options.
Maybe it's right for you.
What's the worst that could happen?
Imagine how you'll benefit.
Imagine what you'll gain.
Just imagine it.
Sleep on it.

Just
do
it​

There are way more phrases than this.

This is just a small sample of some of the words you can use to influence your prospects, readers, clients, & customers.

Influence is what copywriting is all about.

It's about taking the influence that's going to happen anyway, and giving it direction. It's not about manipulating people. It's about helping customers reach the outcomes they want, and also reaching your own outcomes at the same time.

Everyone should benefit.

To ensure your copy always packs the most powerful impact possible, write with the intent of influencing people throughout all concepts of time whether it's right now, this week, or 10 years in the future.

And always seek to have a positive impact on others.

Day 3 Challenge

1. Help someone. Solve a problem for someone. Do it without asking for anything in return just like yesterday, and just like the day before. Remember, it doesn't have to be something epic. Just something that impacts them positively in some way.

2. Write 5 new headlines that MAKE THEM STOP, and tap into your prospects desires & emotions.

3. Using your product or service, or something you make up, write a paragraph or two to your target customer utilizing the influential phrases you learned in this post. Consider using all 3 types of phrases for maximum impact, and remember to write with intent. Find ways to show how your product helps your customer while driving them toward the action you want them to take.

Do this before reading the next lesson, or don't keep going forward.

Now that you know that influence is inevitable you can
start writing copy with intent & purpose so you can
achieve your desired results in the shortest
time possible. Always write for positive
outcomes. That's it for this lesson.
When you're ready, continue
on to Day 4 - Mindset
Lesson

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
@SinisterLex - I've been following your other thread for a few weeks now. Thought I'd offer a little perspective, especially to those people who believe "they won't hire me for x, y, or z."

I recently had to hire a freelancer for a short programming job. I knew what needed to be done but it was just a bit out of reach for my novice coding skills. Still, I knew the math/logic behind the code and for an experienced programmer it was super easy cash.

This was on Freelancer.com, and I paid an extra $15 for my job listing to get a "Priority" job listing. Immediately I get swamped with applications. And most of them absolutely, positively sucked! Some examples of what NOT to do:

• Send me a generic "copy/paste" application. If you do this, it's so obvious. I deleted these immediately.
  • Beg/plead.
  • Make me read your life story. My job listing was for a C++ programmer. I had multiple people tell me all about their history with coding--how they learned HTML at age 12 and Java at age 16. I really don't give a shit if you helped Bill Gates create DOS, all I care about is if you know C++, particularly in a manner that relates to the problem I outlined clearly in the job listing.
  • Not understand that I want the job done fast. I paid the extra $15 for a "Priority" listing--that means I want this done NOW. This is verbatim from my job listing: "If you legitimately know C++ this is an easy job and money opportunity. It doesn't need to be pretty, and faster is better." And yet I would have applications with "I promise to get started within 48 hours." MO-FO I WANT THIS FINISHED WITHIN 48 HOURS, THAT'S WHY I PAID FOR A PRIORITY LISTING!!!!
As for the person I ended up hiring... he wasn't the "recommended" (according to Freelancer.com's algorithm) applicant. He also had zero (that's right, goose egg) feedback. Also he was NOT the lowest-priced applicant. In fact he was one of the higher-priced ones. Why I liked his application:

• He told me what experience he had with C++ that actually related to my problem. It was 100% obvious he had read every word of my job listing.
  • He said--and this is verbatim: "If you hire me, I will begin right away and have this done for you by the end of the night." Mind you, this is like 9 PM on a Monday night.
  • ....and then he actually delivered on what he said.
I left him a perfect rating and glowing feedback comment, and would hire the guy again in a heartbeat. So for those people on here who think you can't get hired because there are people who have more feedback or lower price rates or more experience or whatever; that's complete bullshit.

If you have a small job that needs doing, I'd recommend hiring someone from a freelancer website. This gave me way more insight on the hiring process than I would have gained otherwise. And all in all with the listing and paying the guy it was like $60... well worth the lesson alone, let alone the work he did for me.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
@SinisterLex - I've been following your other thread for a few weeks now. Thought I'd offer a little perspective, especially to those people who believe "they won't hire me for x, y, or z."

I recently had to hire a freelancer for a short programming job. I knew what needed to be done but it was just a bit out of reach for my novice coding skills. Still, I knew the math/logic behind the code and for an experienced programmer it was super easy cash.

This was on Freelancer.com, and I paid an extra $15 for my job listing to get a "Priority" job listing. Immediately I get swamped with applications. And most of them absolutely, positively sucked! Some examples of what NOT to do:

• Send me a generic "copy/paste" application. If you do this, it's so obvious. I deleted these immediately.
  • Beg/plead.
  • Make me read your life story. My job listing was for a C++ programmer. I had multiple people tell me all about their history with coding--how they learned HTML at age 12 and Java at age 16. I really don't give a shit if you helped Bill Gates create DOS, all I care about is if you know C++, particularly in a manner that relates to the problem I outlined clearly in the job listing.
  • Not understand that I want the job done fast. I paid the extra $15 for a "Priority" listing--that means I want this done NOW. This is verbatim from my job listing: "If you legitimately know C++ this is an easy job and money opportunity. It doesn't need to be pretty, and faster is better." And yet I would have applications with "I promise to get started within 48 hours." MO-FO I WANT THIS FINISHED WITHIN 48 HOURS, THAT'S WHY I PAID FOR A PRIORITY LISTING!!!!
As for the person I ended up hiring... he wasn't the "recommended" (according to Freelancer.com's algorithm) applicant. He also had zero (that's right, goose egg) feedback. Also he was NOT the lowest-priced applicant. In fact he was one of the higher-priced ones. Why I liked his application:

• He told me what experience he had with C++ that actually related to my problem. It was 100% obvious he had read every word of my job listing.
  • He said--and this is verbatim: "If you hire me, I will begin right away and have this done for you by the end of the night." Mind you, this is like 9 PM on a Monday night.
  • ....and then he actually delivered on what he said.
I left him a perfect rating and glowing feedback comment, and would hire the guy again in a heartbeat. So for those people on here who think you can't get hired because there are people who have more feedback or lower price rates or more experience or whatever; that's complete bullshit.

If you have a small job that needs doing, I'd recommend hiring someone from a freelancer website. This gave me way more insight on the hiring process than I would have gained otherwise. And all in all with the listing and paying the guy it was like $60... well worth the lesson alone, let alone the work he did for me.

This really is a perfect example of helping others & solving problems.

The freelancer you hired showed you exactly how he could meet your needs, and then he followed through!

It wasn't just his profile. It was everything. The whole experience.

Newbies take note!

If you're not willing to reply when you don't want to, then you're not focused on helping them.

If you only care about your schedule, then you'll lose out to the freelancer (like me) who's willing to reply at 1 in the morning to accommodate their timezone.

If you don't ask questions to clarify their needs, then you won't get answers that help you earn the feedback you want them to leave.

If you want to be a highly-paid professional copywriter, then you've gotta be prepared to cater to the needs of clients & customers who are willing to pay. They pay for value, not for your epic high school profile pic...

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Day 4 | Mindset Lesson 2
The Universe Rewards...

Hitman11.jpg
What makes Agent 47 so incredibly lethal? Is it his weapons? His fighting skills? Is it the fact he's a genetically engineered killing machine?

No, no & no.

So, how did he become unstoppable? How is it possible for him to defeat countless enemies and impossible odds, constantly achieving his goals, and delivering for the client?

It's because he takes action.

Agent 47 could have trained forever. He could have become the most knowledgeable theoretical tactician on the planet, but without action he'd be useless to everyone. Instead he utilizes his fundamental knowledge of battle on the battlefield, and comes out on top every time.

He takes action, gets feedback, and adjusts as he goes.

He ALWAYS presses forward.

He is the aggressor, not the victim, and that makes all the difference.

Theory is great, but without action it's worth nothing. This is true no matter what business you're in, and especially true for copywriters.

This is why I didn't take the Gary Halbert challenge.

You can write 10,000 sales letters by hand, read every book on copy, and have all the theoretical knowledge in the world, but if you never take action and implement that knowledge you will NOT be a copywriter. You'll just be someone who knows a lot about copy.

There's a HUGE difference between calling yourself a thing, and actually being a thing.

This difference separates the men from the boys. The elite from the unexceptional. The winners from the losers.

It's what makes it possible for companies like Nike, Apple, & Chevy to constantly increase their profits while emptying your pockets.

Think about it. The last time you bought a car, what factors did you consider? The looks? The style? The way other people would look at you when you were driving it around? The way it made you feel like a badass?

The masses buy ideas. They buy feelings. They buy emotion. They buy identification. They want the thing without the process, and that's why they never get it.

Many "entrepreneurs" do the same. That's why MJ calls them "wantrapreneurs". They want the end result, but they aren't willing to take action to get it. They fool themselves into believing they're changing their lives, when what they're really doing is spinning their tires.

Either you are a thing or you aren't, and if you aren't taking the scary actions then you probably aren't.

But, how do you know if you're really taking action?

Ask yourself these questions:
- How many books/blogs/articles have I read that I actually used to earn a real dollar?
- How many times have I actually applied my knowledge toward making money?
- How many times have I actually tried and failed?
- How many websites have I built that actually got a product live?
- How many blogs have I actually contacted to promote my idea?
- How many books have I actually published?
- How many businesses have I actually called?
- How many cover letters have I actually submitted?
- How many clients have I actually spoken to?

Ask yourself "How many" questions first. If you answer with a number less than 1 then you are action faking.

Once you realize you're guilty of action faking, then it's time to ask the next question...

What specifically is stopping me from taking action?
- Fear
- Uncertainty
- Doubt

All of these are excuses, and I guarantee one of these is the answer to your question.

But here's the thing...

Fear, uncertainty, doubt & excuses are only roadblocks. They cannot actually stop you from taking action if you choose to take action. So, once you acknowledge that you're experiencing fear and making excuses, then the only thing left to do is choose to take action. ANY ACTION.

Pick an action and GO.

The Universe Rewards Action.

And until you start taking action, you aren't going to get results. That means ANY action. Even if you don't know what action to take. You've got to take some action, or else you can't get feedback to improve!

Maybe a website isn't where you should start. How will you know until you try and fail?

Maybe your cover letter sucks balls. How will you know until you try and get denied?

Maybe your business idea is the worst on the planet, but...

What if it isn't?

There's only one way to get feedback. You have to do something.

Cause and effect only works with both ingredients. If you take out cause, you don't have effect.

Things don't just happen, and until you fully accept and embrace the action mindset, you won't get the results you want.

Action is how you stomp out fear.

Action is how you crush your doubts.

Action is how you put foot to a$$ and get everything you've ever desired.

Now Quit Wasting Time & Take Action!

Day 4 Challenge

1. Help someone. Solve a problem for someone no matter how big or small. Don't ask for anything in return.

2. Write 5 Headlines for a real product that MAKES THEM STOP.

3. Write 10 sentences utilizing the influential words from Influence Lesson 1. Make sure you write sentences from all three influential time periods. No need to post them here. This is an exercise for yourself, and if you don't do it, you don't hurt anyone but yourself.

4. Figure out what the 1 action is that you've been putting off and do it. If you're trying to get freelance gigs and are afraid you don't have experience, submit your cover letter and see what happens. If you're thinking of cold calling local shops to pitch websites, then do it, and get real results. Whatever 1 thing you've been putting off due to fear, or lack of motivation, or whatever else, just F*cking do it.

If you just do the thing you're afraid of doing instead of telling me "I've got this problem, I don't think I have enough experience etc..." then you will actually get results instead of getting my opinion, which is that you should do it and get results!!!

Stop wasting your time. Stop wasting mine.

TAKE ACTION. GET RESULTS.
ADJUST FIRE. SHOOT AGAIN.
ACCOMPLISH YOUR MISSION.

That's it for the second mindset lesson. Just take action.
Make a habit of taking real action toward your
goals, and you'll quickly experience huge
changes in your life. When you're
ready, continue on to Day 5
Technique Lesson

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
Thanks so much for this man. You're seriously a great person. This is going hand-in-hand with my typing skills. I just got a transcription job lined up and I am learning content/copywriting and in a few days I'll start applying for some of these jobs as well after I practice a bit, using some of the guidelines from here.

Keep doing what you do :)

ZeroExile

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Sep 10, 2014
Florida

Yeah? I created an account in my mom's name when I was 17 and worked as a customer service representative. From data entry to emailing clients, you can't create excuses or they will get in your way, this is the internet where you can be whoever you want.

Thomas1980

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jan 26, 2014
Day 4 | Mindset Lesson 2
The Universe Rewards...

View attachment 9433
What makes Agent 47 so incredibly lethal? Is it his weapons? His fighting skills? Is it the fact he's a genetically engineered killing machine?

No, no & no.

So, how did he become unstoppable? How is it possible for him to defeat countless enemies and impossible odds, constantly achieving his goals, and delivering for the client?

It's because he takes action.

Agent 47 could have trained forever. He could have become the most knowledgeable theoretical tactician on the planet, but without action he'd be useless to everyone. Instead he utilizes his fundamental knowledge of battle on the battlefield, and comes out on top every time.

He takes action, gets feedback, and adjusts as he goes.

He ALWAYS presses forward.

He is the aggressor, not the victim, and that makes all the difference.

Theory is great, but without action it's worth nothing. This is true no matter what business you're in, and especially true for copywriters.

This is why I didn't take the Gary Halbert challenge.

You can write 10,000 sales letters by hand, read every book on copy, and have all the theoretical knowledge in the world, but if you never take action and implement that knowledge you will NOT be a copywriter. You'll just be someone who knows a lot about copy.

There's a HUGE difference between calling yourself a thing, and actually being a thing.

This difference separates the men from the boys. The elite from the unexceptional. The winners from the losers.

It's what makes it possible for companies like Nike, Apple, & Chevy to constantly increase their profits while emptying your pockets.

Think about it. The last time you bought a car, what factors did you consider? The looks? The style? The way other people would look at you when you were driving it around? The way it made you feel like a badass?

The masses buy ideas. They buy feelings. They buy emotion. They buy identification. They want the thing without the process, and that's why they never get it.

Many "entrepreneurs" do the same. That's why MJ calls them "wantrapreneurs". They want the end result, but they aren't willing to take action to get it. They fool themselves into believing they're changing their lives, when what they're really doing is spinning their tires.

Either you are a thing or you aren't, and if you aren't taking the scary actions then you probably aren't.

But, how do you know if you're really taking action?

Ask yourself these questions:
- How many books/blogs/articles have I read that I actually used to earn a real dollar?
- How many times have I actually applied my knowledge toward making money?
- How many times have I actually tried and failed?
- How many websites have I built that actually got a product live?
- How many blogs have I actually contacted to promote my idea?
- How many books have I actually published?
- How many businesses have I actually called?
- How many cover letters have I actually submitted?
- How many clients have I actually spoken to?

Ask yourself "How many" questions first. If you answer with a number less than 1 then you are action faking.

Once you realize you're guilty of action faking, then it's time to ask the next question...

What specifically is stopping me from taking action?
- Fear
- Uncertainty
- Doubt

All of these are excuses, and I guarantee one of these is the answer to your question.

But here's the thing...

Fear, uncertainty, doubt & excuses are only roadblocks. They cannot actually stop you from taking action if you choose to take action. So, once you acknowledge that you're experiencing fear and making excuses, then the only thing left to do is choose to take action. ANY ACTION.

Pick an action and GO.

The Universe Rewards Action.

And until you start taking action, you aren't going to get results. That means ANY action. Even if you don't know what action to take. You've got to take some action, or else you can't get feedback to improve!

Maybe a website isn't where you should start. How will you know until you try and fail?

Maybe your cover letter sucks balls. How will you know until you try and get denied?

Maybe your business idea is the worst on the planet, but...

What if it isn't?

There's only one way to get feedback. You have to do something.

Cause and effect only works with both ingredients. If you take out cause, you don't have effect.

Things don't just happen, and until you fully accept and embrace the action mindset, you won't get the results you want.

Action is how you stomp out fear.

Action is how you put foot to a$$ and get everything you've ever desired.

Now Quit Wasting Time & Take Action!

Day 4 Challenge

1. Help someone. Solve a problem for someone no matter how big or small. Don't ask for anything in return.

2. Write 5 Headlines for a real product that MAKES THEM STOP.

3. Write 10 sentences utilizing the influential words from Influence Lesson 1. Make sure you write sentences from all three influential time periods. No need to post them here. This is an exercise for yourself, and if you don't do it, you don't hurt anyone but yourself.

4. Figure out what the 1 action is that you've been putting off and do it. If you're trying to get freelance gigs and are afraid you don't have experience, submit your cover letter and see what happens. If you're thinking of cold calling local shops to pitch websites, then do it, and get real results. Whatever 1 thing you've been putting off due to fear, or lack of motivation, or whatever else, just F*cking do it.

If you just do the thing you're afraid of doing instead of telling me "I've got this problem, I don't think I have enough experience etc..." then you will actually get results instead of getting my opinion, which is that you should do it and get results!!!

Stop wasting your time. Stop wasting mine.

TAKE ACTION. GET RESULTS.
ADJUST FIRE. SHOOT AGAIN.
ACCOMPLISH YOUR MISSION.

That's it for the second mindset lesson. Just take action.
Make a habit of taking real action toward your
goals, and you'll quickly experience huge
changes in your life. When you're
ready, continue on to Day 5
Technique Lesson

"You can write 10,000 sales letters by hand, read every book on copy, and have all the theoretical knowledge in the world, but if you never take action and implement that knowledge you will NOT be a copywriter. You'll just be someone who knows a lot about copy."

You're speaking to me right there! I'm completely new to copywriting so I decided to buy two books on Amazon. I wanted to get the basics down before I began this new journey in copywriting. I KNOW I should jump right in, but I would like to get more practice in before I begin.

Question - how long did it take for you to develop your writing style? If my writing were anywhere near as impressive as yours, I would've jumped into copywriting a long time ago.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
You're speaking to me right there!

That's the power of good copy. ;)

Question - how long did it take for you to develop your writing style? If my writing were anywhere near as impressive as yours, I would've jumped into copywriting a long time ago.

That's a bit tricky to answer because I've practiced persuasive writing for 7 or 8 years but only as a hobby. By persuasive I don't mean formal training or schooling. Just that I read a lot of books on influence & persuasion and applied the techniques.

Then I spent pretty much all of 2014 learning to write short stories and publishing ebooks. Learning short stories totally transformed & improved my style because it taught me how to write for clarity when space is limited. It taught me how to make every word count.

Then in Feb. of this year I finished my first book on copywriting and again modified my entire style based on new ideas. I've been studying copy 1 hour a day first thing in the morning ever since, and testing new methods when they show up.

So, I guess you could say my style took 8 to 10 years to develop, but there's a kicker...

Style is only partially important. What's more important is your mindset.

My writing style brought some success with ebooks, but it wasn't until my mindset shifted and I started figuring out what my customer's real desires & problems were that it took off. Once you get the mindset aspect down, then the style part is simply a matter of time, practice, & asking a lot of questions.

Most of my clients don't want the style I'm using in this post.

I don't use this style most of the time. I use it here because it's what you want.

For my clients I use styles that mimic what they want, while finding ways to implement persuasive tactics. In this way I give them what they want while solving their problem at the same time.

Sometimes I don't know exactly what they want. That's why I ask a lot of questions. They like it when I ask questions because it shows I care about details. Then when I deliver the work I let them review it and if anything isn't exactly how they want it, I offer to fix it after getting even more clarification.

In the end my style is usually just an afterthought. A nice to have but not used all that much. Just get the basic fundamentals of copy down, and ask a lot of questions and you'll do fine.

This is how you make money writing copy.

Last edited:

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014

I love this line. What starts as doubt becomes certainty.

"Does it suck?" + no action = doubt = fear
"Does it suck?" + rejection = "It sucks."
"Does it suck?" + acceptance = "No, it doesn't suck."

Action is still needed in the end.
I need to start taking action.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Day 5 | Technique Lesson 2
F.U.C.C.C.
Fundamental Understanding of Core Concepts in Copywriting
or
K.I.S.S.
Keep It Stupidly Simple

Effective Copy Operates from Solid Foundations.

It doesn't have to be complicated, and you don't have to study for years. You can learn enough in a few minutes to improve anything you write. The more you practice the better you'll be, but you don't have to be J.K. to sell.

This isn't a comprehensive guide, and I can't teach everything in a post, but the stuff you're about to learn will help your copy flow more easily for you and your customers.

Before we start you should know that anything you write should be tailored to your specific audience, and also for the medium where it'll be read. For instance the format of a sales letter won't work very well for most website home pages, so you'll need to modify your style if you want it to look good.

Keep in mind none of these rules are absolutes.

Technique 1: Open with a Question

Why are questions so useful?

Because they draw us in and almost force us to find answers. We MUST know, so we drop a line &
keep reading to finally get closure. Make sure you don't answer the question in the same line or it loses its effect.

For Example:

"Do you ever have trouble hearing what other people say?
If so, then..."

By the way did you notice I did it to you at the beginning of this technique? ;)

Technique 2: Ask More questions

What happens if you ask another question instead of just giving the answer?

It has the same effect and keeps em' reading for more!

For Example:

Do people sometimes tell you you're freakin' deaf?
If so, then..."

The longer they read, the more chances you have to influence. Be sure not to ask too many questions without offering a solution or you'll piss em' off.

Technique 3: Use Short Sentences

Short sentences move fast. The shorter the better. Eleven words or less is good. More than that and you slow things down. If you want to impact emotion, use short sentences. It speeds up their mind and makes em' want action.

That doesn't mean longer sentences can never be useful, and you'll find there are times when you really want your readers to slow down and grasp what you say. Use long sentences whenever you want to emphasize something, or when you want your prospects to consider a thought or idea more deeply. Use short sentences when you wanna speed em' up again.

Technique 4: Short Paragraphs

This technique is just like the one before it. Keep paragraphs short if you want to keep things moving effortlessly. Long paragraphs take longer to read, and they end up looking like a wall of text. People don't like walls of text.

Instead writer short paragraphs that are 3 lines or less. Sometimes this means increasing font size to fill up more space, or sometimes you have to decrease it or cut out words if you want it to fit.

Technique 5: Less syllables = Easier to Read

Are you aware of the astronomical quantity of citizens who are absolutely, cataclysmically, abominably mediocre when it comes to aptitude for comprehending the transcribed word?

It's pretty crazy, but seriously...

A lot of people suck at reading.

When we use less syllables our words are easier to understand.

My personal experience is that less syllables is usually better, though I've had a few clients who needed more intelligible writing for certain elite audiences. For most product copy, use less syllables and you can't go wrong.

Technique 6: Make Sub-headings Larger than Body Text

Large sub-headings are for people who like to skim instead of reading everything. When writing sub-headings make sure every word counts because it may be all your prospect sees. I can think of a thousand times when I only read the sub-headings and nothing more. But, if the sub-heading doesn't stand out by being larger, then it may not be seen at all.

Technique 7: Choose Where Each Line Ends

Most of us are used to writing sentences that continue the entire length of the page until they finally
return on their own. In copy it's a little different. In copy we still write across the length of the page but
we choose when to hit return so
we can carry our readers to the
next line.

See what I did there? The last examples were just for effect. The first two lines are how it
normally works. Oops, did it again. ;)

"finally..." - Reader asks, "finally what?"
"but..." - Reader asks, "but what?" and they read the next line for the answer.

Technique 8: Read that Shit Out Loud!

OMG... If you're not reading your copy out loud before going live, then it's no wonder you're not
getting the responses you want! When we read our copy out loud we can find subtle differences in the
wording that changes everything.

Sometimes when I write it comes out really wordy, but I don't know it until I read it out loud. Sometimes
I even have to read it about 10 times before it sounds good. When it sounds good out loud it usually
sounds good in our mind.

Any words that seem like they maybe don't necessarily need to be in the sentence, probably don't.

Technique 9: Speak to the Senses

We'll talk more about this one later, but I want to bring it up for those who are writing copy now. All humans think in terms of their senses all the time. That means sight, sound, smell, taste & touch.

If you want to connect with people, and you want them to experience what you have to say, then you have to write words that give them those experiences.

This is especially true for those of you pecking away at your keyboards, watching words fill up the screen while waiting for your Starbucks to cool after nearly spilling it across the floor because the over-enthusiastic Barista was too busy smiling at customers and forgot to add the cardboard cover to your scalding hot brew.

This is sensory-based language. This is also how you show the reader what you want them to see instead of telling them about it.

Technique 10: Use Action Language

This technique is last but it may be the most powerful of all.

Anytime you write copy you should be using the active voice...

Let's rephrase that.

Anytime you write copy use the active voice.

Feel the difference?

For starters, the active voice cuts out most extra words before you ever read out loud. Plus it allows you to direct the reader instead of letting them make their own choices.

"You should." is very different than, "You will."

"I think you should go over there." is very different than, "Go over there."

"I'll think about it." is very different than, "I'll do it."

Action driven language communicates with clarity.

There's a time and a place for passive language, but most of the time write for action.

If you're selling a product or service, then drive action from the start so your reader gets used to being directed, and by the time they reach the end of your copy they're ready to follow your lead...

Order Now.
Reply.
Join.

This list isn't even close to complete.
There's tons of techniques that aren't mentioned, and probably a zillion that I don't even know about. Still, these should be enough to give you a working foundation so you can get started and get feedback. Once you have feedback you can adjust as needed.

Day 5 Challenge

1. Solve a problem for someone. No matter how big or small, and don't ask anything in return.

2. Write 5 headlines for a real product that MAKES THEM STOP!

3. Write 5 influential sentences using the lessons from day 3.

4. Take 1 action you are most afraid of. Just do it.

5. Type a page of copy selling a real product, using a good headline, subheadlines, & the techniques listed in this lesson.

||||||
||||||
||||||

Okay, Day 5 is done and you're still here!
Great! If you're actually following the
steps, then you're probably making
real progress! When you're
ready, continue to Day 6
Influence Lesson

Thomas1980

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jan 26, 2014
Day 5 | Technique Lesson 2
F.U.C.C.C.
Fundamental Understanding of Core Concepts in Copywriting
or
K.I.S.S.
Keep It Stupidly Simple

Effective Copy Operates from Solid Foundations.

It doesn't have to be complicated, and you don't have to study for years. You can learn enough in a few minutes to improve anything you write. The more you practice the better you'll be, but you don't have to be J.K. to sell.

This isn't a comprehensive guide, and I can't teach everything in a post, but the stuff you're about to learn will help your copy flow more easily for you and your customers.

Before we start you should know that anything you write should be tailored to your specific audience, and also for the medium where it'll be read. For instance the format of a sales letter won't work very well for most website home pages, so you'll need to modify your style if you want it to look good.

Keep in mind none of these rules are absolutes.

Technique 1: Open with a Question

Why are questions so useful?

Because they draw us in and almost force us to find answers. We MUST know, so we drop a line &
keep reading to finally get closure. Make sure you don't answer the question in the same line or it loses its effect.

For Example:

If so, then..."

By the way did you notice I did it to you at the beginning of this technique? ;)

Technique 2: Ask More questions

What happens if you ask another question instead of just giving the answer?

It has the same effect and keeps em' reading for more!

For Example:

Do people sometimes tell you you're freakin' deaf?
If so, then..."

The longer they read, the more chances you have to influence. Be sure not to ask too many questions without offering a solution or you'll piss em' off.

Technique 3: Use Short Sentences

Short sentences move fast. The shorter the better. Eleven words or less is good. More than that and you slow things down. If you want to impact emotion, use short sentences. It speeds up their mind and makes em' want action.

That doesn't mean longer sentences can never be useful, and you'll find there are times when you really want your readers to slow down and grasp what you say. Use long sentences whenever you want to emphasize something, or when you want your prospects to consider a thought or idea more deeply. Use short sentences when you wanna speed em' up again.

Technique 4: Short Paragraphs

This technique is just like the one before it. Keep paragraphs short if you want to keep things moving effortlessly. Long paragraphs take longer to read, and they end up looking like a wall of text. People don't like walls of text.

Instead writer short paragraphs that are 3 lines or less. Sometimes this means increasing font size to fill up more space, or sometimes you have to decrease it or cut out words if you want it to fit.

Technique 5: Less syllables = Easier to Read

Are you aware of the astronomical quantity of citizens who are absolutely, cataclysmically, abominably mediocre when it comes to aptitude for comprehending the transcribed word?

It's pretty crazy, but seriously...

A lot of people suck at reading.

When we use less syllables our words are easier to understand.

My personal experience is that less syllables is usually better, though I've had a few clients who needed more intelligible writing for certain elite audiences. For most product copy, use less syllables and you can't go wrong.

Technique 6: Make Sub-headings Larger than Body Text

Large sub-headings are for people who like to skim instead of reading everything. When writing sub-headings make sure every word counts because it may be all your prospect sees. I can think of a thousand times when I only read the sub-headings and nothing more. But, if the sub-heading doesn't stand out by being larger, then it may not be seen at all.

Technique 7: Choose Where Each Line Ends

Most of us are used to writing sentences that continue the entire length of the page until they finally
return on their own. In copy it's a little different. In copy we still write across the length of the page but
we choose when to hit return so
we can carry our readers to the
next line.

See what I did there? The last examples were just for effect. The first two lines are how it
normally works. Oops, did it again. ;)

"finally..." - Reader asks, "finally what?"
"but..." - Reader asks, "but what?" and they read the next line for the answer.

Technique 8: Read that Shit Out Loud!

OMG... If you're not reading your copy out loud before going live, then it's no wonder you're not
getting the responses you want! When we read our copy out loud we can find subtle differences in the
wording that changes everything.

Sometimes when I write it comes out really wordy, but I don't know it until I read it out loud. Sometimes
I even have to read it about 10 times before it sounds good. When it sounds good out loud it usually
sounds good in our mind.

Any words that seem like they maybe don't necessarily need to be in the sentence, probably don't.

Technique 9: Speak to the Senses

We'll talk more about this one later, but I want to bring it up for those who are writing copy now. All humans think in terms of their senses all the time. That means sight, sound, smell, taste & touch.

If you want to connect with people, and you want them to experience what you have to say, then you have to write words that give them those experiences.

This is especially true for those of you pecking away at your keyboards, watching words fill up the screen while waiting for your Starbucks to cool after nearly spilling it across the floor because the over-enthusiastic Barista was too busy smiling at customers and forgot to add the cardboard cover to your scalding hot brew.

This is sensory-based language. This is also how you show the reader what you want them to see instead of telling them about it.

Technique 10: Use Action Language

This technique is last but it may be the most powerful of all.

Anytime you write copy you should be using the active voice...

Let's rephrase that.

Anytime you write copy use the active voice.

Feel the difference?

For starters, the active voice cuts out most extra words before you ever read out loud. Plus it allows you to direct the reader instead of letting them make their own choices.

"You should." is very different than, "You will."

"I think you should go over there." is very different than, "Go over there."

"I'll think about it." is very different than, "I'll do it."

Action driven language communicates with clarity.

There's a time and a place for passive language, but most of the time write for action.

If you're selling a product or service, then drive action from the start so your reader gets used to being directed, and by the time they reach the end of your copy they're ready to follow your lead...

Order Now.
Reply.
Join.

This list isn't even close to complete.
There's tons of techniques that aren't mentioned, and probably a zillion that I don't even know about. Still, these should be enough to give you a working foundation so you can get started and get feedback. Once you have feedback you can adjust as needed.

Day 5 Challenge

1. Solve a problem for someone. No matter how big or small, and don't ask anything in return.

2. Write 5 headlines for a real product that MAKES THEM STOP!

3. Write 5 influential sentences using the lessons from day 3.

4. Take 1 action you are most afraid of. Just do it.

5. Type a page of copy selling a real product, using a good headline, subheadlines, & the techniques listed in this lesson.

||||||
||||||
||||||

Okay, Day 5 is done and you're still here!
Great! If you're actually following the
steps, then you're probably making
real progress! When you're
ready, continue to Day 6
Influence Lesson

There will be a 2 day copywriting seminar for $300 starting tomorrow. I contemplated going, but between the books that I've read and your pearls of wisdom, I think I'll spend the $300 on something else of value.

Thanks for the FREE pearls of wisdom Lex!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
There will be a 2 day copywriting seminar for $300 starting tomorrow. I contemplated going, but between the books that I've read and your pearls of wisdom, I think I'll spend the $300 on something else of value.

Thanks for the FREE pearls of wisdom Lex!

If you're gonna spend money on a course I'd spend it on something with a certificate of achievement at the end.

Something you can use to enhance your image as a legitimate copywriter.

That way you have physical proof instead of just your word.

Marketing your copy and marketing yourself are the same.

You have to prove you can deliver.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.