The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lets talk about - Ideas(I know I know, pawns...) how to combat climate change.

Idea threads

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Hey everyone, lets talk about this climate change thing. The way I see it:

PROBLEM:
Human societies(industry, transport, energy etc.) dump massive amounts of C02 in the atmosphere.
Because C02 is less transparent to sun light (than nitrogen or oxygen), more of the energy from the sun is captured in the atmosphere.
As a result the overall temperature rises.

Now I want to make this clear, this is not a 100% serious thread.
I dont want to argue if its real or not real. If you agree that C02 is being dumped in the atmosphere then thats enough for this discussion.

The most obvious solution is to scrub out(sequester) the excess C02, and we are done.
Here is my ludacris idea on how to implement this solution:

1. Create a stable free power source.
Solar panels + hydroelectric instaltion.
The panels power pumps which pump water up a hill into a artificial lake.
The lake acts as our battery.
On the lake we have the hydrogenerators running 24/7.
Boom, free power source(lets ignore maintenance for now)

2. Create a massive air tube machine which sucks in air 24/7, filtering and stuff.
Chill the air inside the tube to below the condesation point of C02.
Run electrolysis through the liquid C02 you`ve now created to sequester carbon and release oxygen.
Because oxygen and nitrogen condens at far lower temperatures, we expel them in the oposite direction to pre-chill the air tube.

This however I call Plan B.
Carbon is great and all but its market value is nothing, very abundant element.

What do you think? Do you have any crazy ideas on how to solve it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
There is a very strong likelihood that the ECS(temperature increase per doubling of co2) is going to settle somewhere around 1.4° based off the observed warming trend post 1950, with reasonable allowance for the often undervalued range of internal forcings.

The most significant of those would be the continually mounting evidence that solar iradiance plays a much larger role than the IPCC has accounted for, and that even a minor variance can potentially have very significant impacts on our climate.

With the looming prospect of a Grand Solar Minimum over the next few decades, carbon sequestration might be a bit of overkill.

OliverR

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Jan 28, 2012
EU
Netflix's documentary "Inside Bill's Brain - Decoding Bill Gates" Part 3 has some compelling ideas. Mostly around the next-gen"Traveling Wave Reactor" nuclear reactor from Terra Power utilising depleted uranium (nuclear waste) as fuel. A good quote was there that "One can't seriously look at pollution free energy without also including nuclear energy in the mix as other sources just wont cover our needs fast enough".

So in short. How to combat climate change? If we are talking about clean energy context. Then the move to solar/wind/hydro and most importantly nuclear energy is the fastest way.

Never1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 13, 2015
Canada
Unpopular opinion:

I’m in a minority of people who believes climate change, as influenced by our collective activities, is b.s.

I didn’t always believe this, but changed my mind recently when I was turned on to a few geologists and climatologists that are currently debunking the fraud. (Tony Heller on YouTube has been eye opening).

That’s not to say that caring for and cleaning up our environment aren’t important to me. Dumping raw sewage and industrial waste in our waterways, burning fossil fuels, dumping garbage everywhere etc are unacceptable to me.

Nuclear power is where the real clean energy is, if people would get over their fear of Cold War propaganda.

I’m not overly conspiratorial but there’s something sinister about this climate hysteria movement

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
There is a very strong likelihood that the ECS(temperature increase per doubling of co2) is going to settle somewhere around 1.4° based off the observed warming trend post 1950, with reasonable allowance for the often undervalued range of internal forcings.

The most significant of those would be the continually mounting evidence that solar iradiance plays a much larger role than the IPCC has accounted for, and that even a minor variance can potentially have very significant impacts on our climate.

With the looming prospect of a Grand Solar Minimum over the next few decades, carbon sequestration might be a bit of overkill.
This sounds a bit too sciency for me.
What are you trying to say?

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Netflix's documentary "Inside Bill's Brain - Decoding Bill Gates" Part 3 has some compelling ideas. Mostly around the next-gen"Traveling Wave Reactor" nuclear reactor from Terra Power utilising depleted uranium (nuclear waste) as fuel. A good quote was there that "One can't seriously look at pollution free energy without also including nuclear energy in the mix as other sources just wont cover our needs fast enough".

So in short. How to combat climate change? If we are talking about clean energy context. Then the move to solar/wind/hydro and most importantly nuclear energy is the fastest way.
Thanks, I`ll checkout the documentary.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Unpopular opinion:

I’m in a minority of people who believes climate change, as influenced by our collective activities, is b.s.

I didn’t always believe this, but changed my mind recently when I was turned on to a few geologists and climatologists that are currently debunking the fraud. (Tony Heller on YouTube has been eye opening).

That’s not to say that caring for and cleaning up our environment aren’t important to me. Dumping raw sewage and industrial waste in our waterways, burning fossil fuels, dumping garbage everywhere etc are unacceptable to me.

Nuclear power is where the real clean energy is, if people would get over their fear of Cold War propaganda.

I’m not overly conspiratorial but there’s something sinister about this climate hysteria movement
Well nuclear would be nice.
I`m from Bulgaria and we have one functioning Nuclear power plant.
Another one was supose to be built already, but money for it got stolen, the project was abandoned.
Some speculate that larger countries infulance politics here so that such project will never be completed.
That keeps us dependant on them for electricity and fossil fuels.
Its kind of sad considering how rich in Uranium ore the balkan area is.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
Hey everyone, lets talk about this climate change thing. The way I see it:

PROBLEM:
Human societies(industry, transport, energy etc.) dump massive amounts of C02 in the atmosphere.
Because C02 is less transparent to sun light (than nitrogen or oxygen), more of the energy from the sun is captured in the atmosphere.
As a result the overall temperature rises.

Now I want to make this clear, this is not a 100% serious thread.
I dont want to argue if its real or not real. If you agree that C02 is being dumped in the atmosphere then thats enough for this discussion.

The most obvious solution is to scrub out(sequester) the excess C02, and we are done.
Here is my ludacris idea on how to implement this solution:

1. Create a stable free power source.
Solar panels + hydroelectric instaltion.
The panels power pumps which pump water up a hill into a artificial lake.
The lake acts as our battery.
On the lake we have the hydrogenerators running 24/7.
Boom, free power source(lets ignore maintenance for now)

2. Create a massive air tube machine which sucks in air 24/7, filtering and stuff.
Chill the air inside the tube to below the condesation point of C02.
Run electrolysis through the liquid C02 you`ve now created to sequester carbon and release oxygen.
Because oxygen and nitrogen condens at far lower temperatures, we expel them in the oposite direction to pre-chill the air tube.

This however I call Plan B.
Carbon is great and all but its market value is nothing, very abundant element.

What do you think? Do you have any crazy ideas on how to solve it?
We can do it.
Some problems:
--Green technologies are unstable, not climate-resilient, therefore it is hard to get investors on board any purely solar and wind power grids. We need hydrogen or clean diesel plus gravity pumps.
--Bodies of water like reservoirs also dump tons of carbon into the atmosphere.
--Hydrogen power, specifically water-splitting is clean and cheap. We're close to innovating hydrogen powered buildings.

Plan B is already disproven for now. Not economically feasible to use brute force electrolysis. This is evident in biodiesel technology.

Go for it. We can invent the solutions.

Last edited:

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
But what is it callllllllled?
Just kidding, but not really.
If the program or technology is not readily named it won't catch on.
Gov. LePage of Maine started a great program where employers contracted with high school graduates work for them after college. They pay off all the new employees' college loans within three years. It didn't have a name so it never got publicity. It took five years to start up and still runs.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Unpopular opinion:

Congratulations! You are not a bootlicker!

Jared Jammer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 11, 2015
My position on climate change is simple: if your "theory" can't produce predictions any more accurate than the average 1-900 psychic, then I can't take it, or you, seriously.

When you combine that history of failed predictions with propaganda tactics, like vilifying skepticism, and hiding behind children, then my skepticism triples.

When you also attach your "theory" to a (repeatedly failed) political agenda, my skepticism octuples.

Suffice to say, I take climate change alarmism about as seriously as I take big foot alarmism.

If you want to promote a clean environment, okay, whatever. Just don't ask society and the economy to be radically changed in the process.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
We are having a measurable impact on climate change as a species. It is very gradual, but a gradual change can still have a measurable impact - think about coral reefs.

With that said...

Does the climate of the earth cycle on it's own without human interaction? Yes. Is it possible that a volcano erupts at any moment and dumps immeasurable quantities of toxic materials into the atmosphere, consequently changing earth's climate dramatically? Yes. Are there today an exponentially larger number of detected asteroids that could collide with earth and cause irreversible climate change? Yes.

Do fossil fuels provide abundant energy to developed and developing nations? Yes. Is the quality of people's lives generally increasing with the abundance of energy that fossil fuels have created? Yes. Is it time to reconfigure national budgets to better support research into sustainable and economically viable energy solutions? Yes. Should there be incentives to reduce waste? Yes.

On the contrary...

We should NOT, as Elizabeth Warren suggests, "ban all drilling in the US". Wtf? An 8 year old could come up with a better solution than that. That would cause about ~12 million bbl/day of production to enter a rapid decline. Look to Saudi to gladly make up the deficit at a premium to all global consumers. Will your voter still root for you when she has to pay double at the gas pump to fill up her Volkswagen? Will all costs down the supply chain increase, and impact the end consumer? Yes...

We should NOT distract ourselves with how to stop climate change, or pretend to want to change it when we refuse to reduce our waste and buy a brand new SUV. F*ck you Susan, idc how many climate change activist bullshit you posted on Facebook or the Earth Day parade you just went to, in your car, with your polyester leggings, your plastic Starbucks cup, and the plethora of ways in which you benefit from the abundance of energy today. You're a F*cking hypocrite Susan...

We should focus our attention into how to transition energy sources while maximizing value of the existing technologies. We should focus on reducing our rate of climate change, instead of eliminating or reversing it. Right now. Give big oil tax incentives for research dollars spent on green energy. Those F*ckers are loaded, but you can't cripple their business and give nothing back. They have a financial responsibility to their shareholders to provide economic value. Shut down their business, and grandmas 401k plummets...

We should remember that although we have an impact as a species on the climate, the earth and the cosmos are billions of years old, and they're capable of spectacles beyond your imagination. Historically proven events. Cataclismic events. Have occured on earth. You're gonna cry about 1 degree change per 50 years? You're gonna cripple business, hurt people, developing nations, and completely ignore every other variable that also impacts climate change?

P.S. I work in oil exploration. I deal with a lot of criticism. I'm basically everybody's favorite person to shit on at parties or social gatherings. I provide people an opportunity to feel better about themselves, where they get to tell me what I'm doing is evil... As they turn to their Mustang GT and rev for the gram.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
We are having a measurable impact on climate change as a species. It is very gradual, but a gradual change can still have a measurable impact - think about coral reefs.

With that said...

Does the climate of the earth cycle on it's own without human interaction? Yes. Is it possible that a volcano erupts at any moment and dumps immeasurable quantities of toxic materials into the atmosphere, consequently changing earth's climate dramatically? Yes. Are there today an exponentially larger number of detected asteroids that could collide with earth and cause irreversible climate change? Yes.

Do fossil fuels provide abundant energy to developed and developing nations? Yes. Is the quality of people's lives generally increasing with the abundance of energy that fossil fuels have created? Yes. Is it time to reconfigure national budgets to better support research into sustainable and economically viable energy solutions? Yes. Should there be incentives to reduce waste? Yes.

On the contrary...

We should NOT, as Elizabeth Warren suggests, "ban all drilling in the US". Wtf? An 8 year old could come up with a better solution than that. That would cause about ~12 million bbl/day of production to enter a rapid decline. Look to Saudi to gladly make up the deficit at a premium to all global consumers. Will your voter still root for you when she has to pay double at the gas pump to fill up her Volkswagen? Will all costs down the supply chain increase, and impact the end consumer? Yes...

We should NOT distract ourselves with how to stop climate change, or pretend to want to change it when we refuse to reduce our waste and buy a brand new SUV. F*ck you Susan, idc how many climate change activist bullshit you posted on Facebook or the Earth Day parade you just went to, in your car, with your polyester leggings, your plastic Starbucks cup, and the plethora of ways in which you benefit from the abundance of energy today. You're a F*cking hypocrite Susan...

We should focus our attention into how to transition energy sources while maximizing value of the existing technologies. We should focus on reducing our rate of climate change, instead of eliminating or reversing it. Right now. Give big oil tax incentives for research dollars spent on green energy. Those F*ckers are loaded, but you can't cripple their business and give nothing back. They have a financial responsibility to their shareholders to provide economic value. Shut down their business, and grandmas 401k plummets...

We should remember that although we have an impact as a species on the climate, the earth and the cosmos are billions of years old, and they're capable of spectacles beyond your imagination. Historically proven events. Cataclismic events. Have occured on earth. You're gonna cry about 1 degree change per 50 years? You're gonna cripple business, hurt people, developing nations, and completely ignore every other variable that also impacts climate change?

P.S. I work in oil exploration. I deal with a lot of criticism. I'm basically everybody's favorite person to shit on at parties or social gatherings. I provide people an opportunity to feel better about themselves, where they get to tell me what I'm doing is evil... As they turn to their Mustang GT and rev for the gram.
you’ll probably enjoy the book “the moral case for fossil fuels” by Alex Epstein. You’ll be able to make people feel pretty ashamed of themselves next time they take a dump on you for “hurrr durrr oil is bad” as they blindly repeat some bromide.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.