The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Learning Java Script - Progress Documentation

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Branko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Mar 30, 2021
Hey all.

Where to begin?... I've been reading the forum for a week or 2 now, learning, soaking up wisdom like a sponge.
I want to learn programing and web development, because I'd like to change my job at the very least, but hopefully become a freelancer, so I can work from home. I'm 25 and I've been working full time for 2 years now. I don't like it, it sucks and it's not for me.

I'm really glad and grateful to have read the fastlane. So many things are begining to click, and I am becoming more sure of myself by the day, and I am ready to grow.
Thank you MJ.

I read many topics here, and watched countless videos about weather learning to code is a good choice in 2021, for the future, about how saturated the field is, about how wordpresses and other presses make producing a website a matter of dedicating a couple of hours in a weekend afternoon. I read about how you should outsource everything and learning difficult technical skills is a waste of time business wise.

I also read and listened to other opposing advice, like, programming is a very desirable skill, and that despite the competition there is always room for a business savvy digital expert.

I don't know, I don't care, I feel like I can't know what the truth is until I experience it for myself.

I was also considering joining Fox's Web Coaching program, and just jump in and focus on salesmanship, and on business, but I didn't feel congruence. I want to be sure of what I can make and I want to know what I can confidently deliver. I don't just want to wing everything. I know businesses and owners don't care about my code, but I care about my code, and I want to make sure it's good before I have the confidence to sell it.

-----

I really enjoy programming. I had a semester of python in college, and I had a bit of C, I had arduino, PLC, whatever, you name it. The funny part is I hated programming in college. Honestly it was just coding and syntax, it had nothing to do with coding and with the big picture of what is possible. I only recently got back into code, refreshing some python, and now I'm interested in the most popular and most used p language of the world: JavaScript.

I don't really have a clear vision of why I need to learn it, but I just feel it in my gut, and I wanna see it through... Hence this thread. This thread is mostly for me, so that I have an opportunity to review and revise what I've learned and write it down. Hopefully after a couple months/6/9 year I can really develop this thread and offer it as motivation for other aspiring learners.

I know it's not making me money now, and its not really a business execution thread, but I hope it still counts and I hope my progress exudes effort and fastlane mentality.

I will do my best to update my journey weekly.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Branko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Mar 30, 2021
Alright...

Time for my first update post. The topic was started about a week ago, but I've been at it for a little bit longer than that.

I am learning html and css, to build a respectable foundation before I can manipulate the webpage elements through coding and javascript. I feel like I understand the basics okay. The html elements, what they are used for, semantic tags, basic layout and structure. I learned css selectors, how to use classes, how to use ids,how the cascading works, and what get priority, importance of document order.

Currently I am also internalizing flexbox and grid. When I watch tutorials I kinda get it, I understand, but then when the time comes for me to apply, I find that I actually lack understanding of the basic principles. So I want to learn flex and grid, and be able to confidently use then to create any kind of layout on the spot. I just want that ability so bad. I want to be able to A B any website in an hour or 2. Like see a website, and have the divisions and te flex and grid code in my mind, before touching the keyboard.

I also did a bit of javascript in tandem. I just went through the basics of variable declaration, basics of how an object is declared with property value pairs, I went through the basic syntax of function and control structures, such as if statements, for and while loops. I solved about 10 algorithm problems on my own, in a very forceful caveman way, but hey, it worked :p.

I also bought 2 javascript books, which I would like to go through in about half a year, and really try to internalize those fundamentals. Not just wildy code my heart away, but approach code through the understanding of the fundamentals.

----

Next goals:

- I want to finish learning Flex and Grid, I will keep practicing them, until I can re create any structure I see on the internet. (~1 month (hour per day)) And I know everybody uses templates, and so will I, but not before I understand how things work. I only want to use tools and templates and frameworks that I could recreate, and that I can understand, I think there is great wisdom in this approach, and I feel like it's going to lead to me being the best possible coder/web developer/ designer I can be and provide better value and service to others.

- Learning the DOM document object model, and spending some extra time on it, going through the sea of available functions. Ofcourse I will go through some courses and learn the most important 20% of the functions for DOM manipluation, but I want to do a bit more than that, to reallyget a firm grasp on how it works.
(~1 month (hour per day))

This is it for now, i'll keep grinding and share my update when I feel like ive grown a bit more.

lucky++

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 19, 2021
Hey @Branko

I really enjoyed reading about your journey. I see a bit of myself in you.

I started learning webdev earlier this year. I’m currently focussed on JavaScript. It took a while to find the right teacher and good material but it looks like I found the sweet spot.

I know there are a lot of services out there people can use to build websites easily but if you focus more on web apps or very ‘smart’ websites then there is no issue.

After I get a good grip on JS I want to go back to CSS and master flexbox and grid as well. It’s really cool stuff, very powerful. I believe coding is a superpower, if in the right hands, with the right mindset.

I would love to share my resources with you. I really spend a lot of time finding the best teaching materials out there.

I wish you all the best on your journey,

Shoot me a PM if you wanna chat :)

Branko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Mar 30, 2021
Hey everyone.

Update #3

The week has passed. I've spent some time practicing CSS, specifically Grid and Flexbox and I now feel much more confident in setting them up quickly.

As a practice I built 2 quick projects I want to share with you. I wanted to recreate the structure of the fastlane forum only using grid and flexbox. The purpose of this exercise was to just look at the forum, and rebuild it by myself and trying to imagine the structure, divisions, and how to recreate the using flexbox.

I now feel more ready to continue learning JavaScript and building my first projects :).
Till next time!

Here is my result:

Forum-Remake.PNG

The other project is just a simple website layout using grid. Grid is often used for eCommerce and product websites.

Result:

Vegan-Kicks.PNG

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Hey everyone.

Update #3

The week has passed. I've spent some time practicing CSS, specifically Grid and Flexbox and I now feel much more confident in setting them up quickly.

As a practice I built 2 quick projects I want to share with you. I wanted to recreate the structure of the fastlane forum only using grid and flexbox. The purpose of this exercise was to just look at the forum, and rebuild it by myself and trying to imagine the structure, divisions, and how to recreate the using flexbox.

I now feel more ready to continue learning JavaScript and building my first projects :).
Till next time!

Here is my result:

View attachment 37712

The other project is just a simple website layout using grid. Grid is often used for eCommerce and product websites.

Result:

View attachment 37713
Looks really good. What course are you pursuing??

Branko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Mar 30, 2021
Looks really good. What course are you pursuing??
I'm trying out different courses, but the truth is, for coding tutorials, youtube imo is KING.

For Flexbox and Grid I found 2 absolutely amazing tutorials by an underrated channel:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhUuMl3R1PE

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DNLYk5uzl8&t=246s

Also Brad Traversy's youtube channel ofcourse. That, and blog posts, sites like CSS-tricks.

I also found a cool little web"game":

The best answer as to which source is the best? The one that works the best for you. I guess we all have to know how we like to learn, and how we learn most effectively and than find a source that helps us accomplish that.

_ MOST IMPORTANT, KEY COMPONENT TO LEARNING (For myself, based on my personal experience)_ : Use what you learned in tutorials and apply it, use it to build something that is in your head.

RoiGoujat

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 26, 2018
Hey,

Impressive progress in 2 weeks! Youtube is definitely king for tuts !

Once you are comfortable with the basics, what I could advise you to do to get further in your learning is starting to follow tutorials about the "MERN" stack.

MERN means MongoDB (database), Express (basically "simpler" Node), React (front end, the visual part, developed by Facebook) and Node (back end, the "engine" of your app).

You will start to learn how we are actually working in the web dev world. What's super cool with MERN is that is full HTML/CSS/JS tech to build a whole website, no need to learn other languages. It's super powerful and way more simple than most other "stacks". Also you'll find TONS of tuts about it.

I could recommend this guy for comprehensive guides around modern web dev techs: Maximilian Schwarzmüller | Professional Web Developer and Instructor| Udemy
He also has a youtube channel.

Try to stay away from PHP, overwhelming and not so interesting unless you want to make custom Wordpress mess.

To go even further:
  • Learn Python (just the language), no direct connection with web dev but it will mold your mind to understand algorithmic logic which is way more useful than we think
  • If you like front dev better than back, add Styled Components and Framer Motion to your React projects. Easier CSS and super cool animations. This guy has awesome tutorials around creative web dev: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqrxiLP9RHz2GxDJaZuTRBw
  • Learn how to use Docker for deploying your apps

Branko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Mar 30, 2021
Hey,

Impressive progress in 2 weeks! Youtube is definitely king for tuts !

Once you are comfortable with the basics, what I could advise you to do to get further in your learning is starting to follow tutorials about the "MERN" stack.

MERN means MongoDB (database), Express (basically "simpler" Node), React (front end, the visual part, developed by Facebook) and Node (back end, the "engine" of your app).

You will start to learn how we are actually working in the web dev world. What's super cool with MERN is that is full HTML/CSS/JS tech to build a whole website, no need to learn other languages. It's super powerful and way more simple than most other "stacks". Also you'll find TONS of tuts about it.

I could recommend this guy for comprehensive guides around modern web dev techs: Maximilian Schwarzmüller | Professional Web Developer and Instructor| Udemy
He also has a youtube channel.

Try to stay away from PHP, overwhelming and not so interesting unless you want to make custom Wordpress mess.

To go even further:
  • Learn Python (just the language), no direct connection with web dev but it will mold your mind to understand algorithmic logic which is way more useful than we think
  • If you like front dev better than back, add Styled Components and Framer Motion to your React projects. Easier CSS and super cool animations. This guy has awesome tutorials around creative web dev: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqrxiLP9RHz2GxDJaZuTRBw
  • Learn how to use Docker for deploying your apps
Wow man, thanks for the resources. I've heard about MERN before, but didn't know what it stood for. I will definitely check those out.

I'd love so spend a bit more time in vanilla JS before jumping into frameworks, just so that I build that foundation and understanding.

I know python from before. I had 1 semester of python in college, and I build 1 personal project with python around 1500 lines of code. Python really does remove some of the abstraction of the code, where you can more easily start to think about the algorithms and the problems.

That's probably the reason I am able to force my way through the beginner problems in JS.

Looking forward to learning more and more.

My plan for this year is to do web design for clients and businesses (html/CSS) as a freelancer.

But to learn front-end programing for myself, so I can develop web app ideas by myself, create MVPs, do testing, and then hand off my base work to a professional for development.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.